AVS Forum banner

2019 LG SM9000 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

94K views 372 replies 103 participants last post by  WinterX 
#1 ·
I decided to bite the bullet and order the 55 inch. Should be here in about a week.

I hope it was ok that I started this. If not, you guys can delete. I'll edit later and add specs and whatnot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Looking forward to your impressions. The 2019 LG SM90xx series seem to be the only LCD TVs with full HDMI 2.1 this year. For those of us who are concerned about future-proofing and/or gaming, they are really the only choice, especially if big TV is what is needed. The 86" SM9070 is what I'm looking at.

#6 ·
That was my deciding factor. I was on the fence for with the C9 or the SM9000 but chose this because I game a lot. Four HDMI 2.1 spots will make me happy.

#4 ·
@Ecwrvd2, I see you have a 900F. I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Sony vs the LG as the 85 900f, 950G and LG SM9070 are the main contenders for my next television.

#5 ·
I like my X900F a lot and feel like it's a great TV for the money. This will be replacing the X900F in the "gaming" room. I'll definitely give my thoughts. I'm hoping I'll have it next week sometime since I got a call today from BigSandySuperStore confirming my order and whatnot. They said they are going to see when theirs arrives and will ship mine out ASAP.

Reactions: rynomyte
#13 ·
Me too. I figured I'll give the TV a shot. I have no experience with last years nano TVs but I heard that's an issue.

#16 ·
Mine will be shipped at the end of the week or beginning next week. My place didnt get theres in yet. The only reason I use them is because they use Old Dominion trucking everytime I got a TV it has been immaculate.

#15 ·
I picked up the 55" a handful of days ago to replace my 8yr old 43" LG 3D that died a week earlier. Wanted something smaller than 50" but once again LG isn't offering premium features on those and I couldn't pass up the more future-proof hdmi.

This is my first TV with full local dimming and the picture is great imo but there is some center and/or corner blooming when displaying solo bright objects (where rest of screen is completely dark). Still a huge upgrade over my edge-lit 43" and I knew the picture wouldn't be quite as good as an OLED but I do some browsing from a HTPC and didn't want the greater risk of burn-in not to mention the higher price. Def happy with the purchase so far; should hold me over at least til MicroLED matures.

The panel does seem to be true 120Hz. I was able to get 1440p at 120Hz via Windows 10 monitor settings using an RX 480 gpu over hdmi 2.0. Thus far the LG is limited to 8-bit in Radeon Settings but that could be due to the old spec Monster cable I was using. Also waiting for some 48gbps cables and a displayport 1.4 to hdmi 2.0 cable to arrive which is best current option until someone makes a dp to hdmi 2.1 adapter.

My Yamaha YSP-2200 soundbar has only standard ARC and best I'm able to pass through so far is 5-channel DTS (non HD). Over the next few weeks I plan to upgrade to a soundbar with eARC and will confirm (along with using hdmi 2.1 cables) if the TV can pass-through full bitstream audio.

#18 ·
Got a 65” Sm9000 yesterday. Coming from a 56” B7 and a 65” KS8500 before that, it’s a big adjustment. IPS panels def don’t have the contrast of VA, and obv nowhere near oled.

Daytime viewing difference from sets it’s pretty much unnoticeable, but at night definitely notice the bleed and blooming, with blacks not getting all that black. The FALD does seem to be better than the 2018s from my experience and the videos I’ve watched of the old models. I set it on high and disabled dynamic contrast and noticed a large improvement. The FALD algorithm seems to be iffy on mine near the corners, but I’m not sure if that’s typical or not.

Now for the reason I got it- gaming. I don’t have the tools to test it, but the input lag feels wonderfully low, and I am very sensitive to input lag. Motion looks great, no ghosting and everything looks super smooth. Really excited to try out the VRR feature. While in auto low latency mode, games are even playable outside game mode, with more input lag, but not bad, so you can get some nice visual processing features while playing non competitive games.

So yeah- tv is great for games and daytime watching, but if you need a dark home theatre screen, they didnt manage to magically change ips technology, so you’ll still want a VA. Colors look great, but dark room contrast is still lacking.

#20 ·
Finally got to mess around with the TV. I watched the first 10 minutes of The Matrix on Netflix and the black level looks good to me. I was watching the movie in a room with lights off and there was a minimal daylight from the door window. There were no signs of bleeding while watching the movie. Maybe it's just me but I don't see any blooming even with subtitles on. Then I tested out the TV for any DSE or banding and didn't find any. I used modernwize's DSE video test. Input lag in game mode feels pretty low to me as I was able to pull off hard combos while playing Tekken 7 on PS4 Pro. I will connect my PC to the TV and test out games later tonight. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and will definitely keep the TV.

#26 · (Edited)
Please do! Really interested in how you would compare it to the X900F. I am willing to take the hit with respect to contrast if the FALD does a decent enough job at minimizing the letter/pillar box bars (with the help of a bias light). A 65" 120Hz 4K TV would be amazing for my HTPC (whenever they release HDMI 2.1 GPUs). Really wish other manufacturers would have adopted all the (best) HDMI 2.1 features... Right now, the choices seem to be OLED or IPS (would love to get a C9, but don't feel like spending that much/want something I can have static images on for longer periods of time).

#27 ·
Really got my eye on this set. I know blacks aren't going to be as deep as VA, but I just want to know if there is IPS glow, light bleed, etc. And does the full array do a decent enough job to create a good image (by IPS standards) for darker content/darker environments?

I mainly want to get it for gaming on the PS4 Pro, X1X and my classic consoles (like SNES, Genesis, etc) through my OSSC. Last year's model seemed to have very good compatibility with the OSSC so I'm assuming this year's model would too.

#28 ·
Really got my eye on this set. I know blacks aren't going to be as deep as VA, but I just want to know if there is IPS glow, light bleed, etc. And does the full array do a decent enough job to create a good image (by IPS standards) for darker content/darker environments?

I mainly want to get it for gaming on the PS4 Pro, X1X and my classic consoles (like SNES, Genesis, etc) through my OSSC. Last year's model seemed to have very good compatibility with the OSSC so I'm assuming this year's model would too.
There is some (minimal, imo) light bleed but I only notice it at night when displaying center text against a black background. Corners can be a bit dim as well but imo image quality (with decent source material) is very good. Local dimming was set to Low by default but switching to High made a significant improvement.

Still trying different mix of some settings but I'm more than happy with the TV so far. Plan to do full calibration soon using an old Colormunki Smile.

I also hooked up some old gaming consoles but had to use composite with Sega Saturn (looked awful as expected) since my old XRGB-1 only outputs VGA. Been debating for years to upgrade to a Framemeister or OSSC but was happy using my Toshiba Timm CRT til now. Instead, think I'll get a Polymega (once available) and use the HDMI out.

#30 ·
Ecwrvd2
After a lot of wait mine will finally be here tomorrow. I'll give some thoughts and comparison to the X900F once I get it rolling.
I look forward to seeing what you think of it and how well you think the full array local dimming works and how much blooming/halos there are when a bright object is on a dark background

#32 ·
Question, this TV model suppose to have the FULL HDMI 2.1 that everyone (gamer wise) is waiting for? Supposedly HDMI 2.1 suppose to be the thing for next year but this TV has it? and is it all of the HDMI inputs as well FULL? If so, I'm having my eye on this. I was going to wait another year but I have a TV that super old and really want to fully enjoy my backlog of games I have for my PS4 PRO and also be prepare for next year PS5.

#36 ·
I was reading somewhere that HDMI 2.1 should have HDCP 2.3 but this TV doesn't have it listed. Would this effect my viewing for future blu rays or other future devices? It seems that the Sony 950G (another TV I'm looking at) has this and it's only HDMI 2.0 but this LG TV doesn't. What kind of impact can happen because of it? I'm really new too all of this.

#40 ·
Avr and junk

Hey all just bought an lg sm9000 today. Having issues figuring out how to hook up avr,Blu-ray, directv. On the last tv, I had everything going to the avr, and just one hdmi out to the tv. Is this tv opposite? I’ve got one hdmi to #2 , the arc on the tv out to a cable/sat input on denon 4500. I finally got sound from directv and Blu-ray, out to avr. But can’t get sound from in tv apps like Netflix ect. I can see it, but still hear directv playing. Any thoughts? Avr is arc capable vision/atmos and all that.

#41 ·
Hey all just bought an lg sm9000 today. Having issues figuring out how to hook up avr,Blu-ray, directv. On the last tv, I had everything going to the avr, and just one hdmi out to the tv. Is this tv opposite? I’ve got one hdmi to #2 , the arc on the tv out to a cable/sat input on denon 4500. I finally got sound from directv and Blu-ray, out to avr. But can’t get sound from in tv apps like Netflix ect. I can see it, but still hear directv playing. Any thoughts? Avr is arc capable vision/atmos and all that.
I think I might be confused about how you have this setup. It seems like you have the TV's arc port connected to an input on the avr? It should be connected to the AVR's display output (the main hdmi out) and the TV should tell the avr that it is sending an audio signal back and it should switch automatically (or you have to switch it to TV audio with the remote [assuming the denon works in a similar fashion to the two other arc-avrs I've used]).

#44 ·
Thanks for the response, had to stop because game of thrones was coming on lol. Anyway, your right, got home after work today and messed with it. So..I got hdmi arc monitor #1 out on avr directly to hdmi arc #2 on tv. Blu-ray into avr, directv into avr. Have picture with everything switching inputs on denons remote. But only sound on directv which is the input I kept the denon on while I messed with the TVs apps. So what was happening is I’d hear directv but see Netflix. So I did indeed hit the tv sound on the denon remote and sure enough it now matches. My only wish is that I could see the denons menus while seeing TVs apps. Also wonder if it’s passing through pure sound or dumbing it down to dd. I’m guessing this will be simpler when I get an Apple TV for streaming. I can jus switch over input on denon remote like anything else.

#45 ·
Thanks for the response, had to stop because game of thrones was coming on lol. Anyway, your right, got home after work today and messed with it. So..I got hdmi arc monitor #1 out on avr directly to hdmi arc #2 on tv. Blu-ray into avr, directv into avr. Have picture with everything switching inputs on denons remote. But only sound on directv which is the input I kept the denon on while I messed with the TVs apps. So what was happening is I’d hear directv but see Netflix. So I did indeed hit the tv sound on the denon remote and sure enough it now matches. My only wish is that I could see the denons menus while seeing TVs apps. Also wonder if it’s passing through pure sound or dumbing it down to dd. I’m guessing this will be simpler when I get an Apple TV for streaming. I can jus switch over input on denon remote like anything else.
Yea, that is my biggest issue with arc (not being able to see the AVR hud). Glad the "tv audio" button worked for you!

Assuming what you are watching is in a 'better' format than DD/DD+, I believe it should be passing through the "pure sound" as the TV and the AVR should both support EARC. Not exactly sure what content on netflix/amazon/hbo/etc have higher bitrate audio options (I think something like Plex should/watching stuff from TVs media player and a USB drive).

How do you like the TV so far?

#46 ·
its only been a couple of days but you know, i really like it. i agonized for a yr going over reviews, ratings, forums, tech articles ect. my 1st obvious choices was the c9,c8,b8. but at the end of the day, i just couldnt justify the cost vs the burn in risk. keeping in mind, im leaving an 11 yr old sony, all new tvs looked fantastic. samsung/no dolby v. so they were out. liked a sony, neat it came with imax enhanced, although few & far between content available. & wasnt crazy about the os. sum1 on youtube said it right: your not just buying a great picture, you have to live with this for the next 5 to 7 yrs. so the astetics, sound, os ect will play a part in your over all enjoyment. wasnt alot of info on this tv being new, but the sk9000 got good reviews. now if i can figure out all the menu stuff lol. ill be getting a calibration in the coming weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#48 · (Edited)
Lg 75sm9070

So i got this TV for about 5 days to replace my Vizio P65-C1. Overall the TV is good and a step from great because to one glaring issue i notice... Blooming. I have never seen blooming this bad on a TV. The way the TV was turning on/off the LEDs was very distracting. Even my aging Vizio does a better job. May be I was watching an HDR content, I don't know. Even the pointer blooms as bad. Blacks are washed out and grayish. I am spoiled maybe because of my C8 which is unbelievable in PC. Don't know why LG could approve something like this as premium.

The TV however has great procession power. The Alpha 7 gen 2 does handle task as expected, no buffers or sluggishness when running multiple programs.

The main reason I get a TV is picture quality and processing power, when one lacks its a bummer for me. I really hope LG can fix this as I am stuck with this TV. Or maybe there is something that I am missing here. If so Please point me to the right directing. I am temped to put back up my P65 if no solution to help with this.

#49 ·
So i got this TV for about 5 days to replace my Vizio P65-C1. Overall the TV is good and a step from great because to one glaring issue i notice... Blooming. I have never seen blooming this bad on a TV. The way the TV was turning on/off the LEDs was very distracting. Even my aging Vizio does a better job. May be I was watching an HDR content, I don't know. Even the pointer blooms as bad. Blacks are washed out and grayish. I am spoiled maybe because of my C8 which is unbelievable in PC. Don't know why LG could approve something like this as premium.

The TV however has great procession power. The Alpha 7 gen 2 does handle task as expected, no buffers or sluggishness when running multiple programs.

The main reason I get a TV is picture quality and processing power, when one lacks its a bummer for me. I really hope LG can fix this as I am stuck with this TV. Or maybe there is something that I am missing here. If so Please point me to the right directing. I am temped to put back up my P65 if no solution to help with this.
That's not good news at all and it's making me very nervous now. I was going to pick it up especially since its 1499 right now on sale for the 65 inch but now I guess I might go to the 55 inch Sony TV since their 65 inch cost more than my life itself.

#52 ·
I have noticed a little bit. Primarily the nat geo logo against a black background.....does anyone know if only hdmi#2 is arc? It comes up as bd player in guide, and it’s the only one I can’t edit the name to. My avr is in that slot, & everything else goes through the avr. and it’s confusing my wife lol

#53 ·
Hmm it looks like only #2 hdmi is arc. When I switch avr over to #1 , I can’t get audio from built in apps. Why would they make it only #2 ?...something else, when I switched it to #1 , it’s calling the avr bd player no matter what slot it’s in. Does anyone use the lg remote to control the cable/sat? So far, it looks like the convenience of everything going through the tv, removes remotes, but also remove some features of them remotes that you can’t duplicate with the lg remote.