AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Positive. Follow the guide below.

When you get to the last screen you will see the current refresh rate of the TV on the top left. During a game this will fluctuate if VRR is active.

If I try 1440p @ 120 or 4k @ 60 I can see it adjusting for VRR.

At 4K 120 the TV is displaying only at 120 with no fluctuation. VRR not active.

Something over on LG support website stating our model has limited VRR. The max vrr at 4k is 60. I'll dig it out in the morning. It's late here!

On my Xbox everything is ticked etc also. Just not actually working.

How to access the HDMI diagnostics menu
  1. Open the settings of the TV by pressing on the gear icon on the remote
  2. Highlight or move the pointer over the All Settings option and open all settings
  3. Select the Channels option
  4. Move the pointer or highlight Channel Tuning
  5. Press the 1 key on the remote five times quickly
  6. Push right and highlight HDMI and press select to access detailed diag

·
Registered
40 Posts

When you get to the last screen you will see the current refresh rate of the TV on the top left. During a game this will fluctuate if VRR is active.

Something over on LG support website stating our model has limited VRR. The max vrr at 4k is 60. I'll dig it out in the morning. It's late here!

2. Highlight or move the pointer over the All Settings option and open all settings
Not to sound like a moron. But if I'm playing a game capped out at 60, but have 120hz set will VRR kick on then? Or will the tv reject it no matter what?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to sound like a moron. But if I'm playing a game capped out at 60, but have 120hz set will VRR kick on then? Or will the tv reject it no matter what?
I'm pretty sure it won't. You would have to change it back in Xbox. Otherwise it just double the frames, will still make for a smooth experience and bring input lag down but may still have some screen tearing present.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I'll take a look again, but I swear it's on haha. I'm getting none of the horrendous framerate drop and stuttering in Assassin's Creed Valhalla gets when you turn VRR on. Unless of the game can tell it's capped at 60 and it kicks on then.

Edit: Not saying you're wrong, but RTINGS also shows that they get VRR working at 120hz. So I'm fairly confused. (To be fair, it might just not support 4k 120 vrr) LG SM9000 Review (55SM9000PUA, 65SM9000PUA, 75SM9070PUA, 86SM9070PUA)

Nah you're definitely right. Guess I'm not as sensitive to frame drops? Or maybe having the tv set to 120hz just makes things smooth enough for me. Sorry dude!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll take a look again, but I swear it's on haha. I'm getting none of the horrendous framerate drop and stuttering in Assassin's Creed Valhalla gets when you turn VRR on. Unless of the game can tell it's capped at 60 and it kicks on then.

Edit: Not saying you're wrong, but RTINGS also shows that they get VRR working at 120hz. So I'm fairly confused. (To be fair, it might just not support 4k 120 vrr) LG SM9000 Review (55SM9000PUA, 65SM9000PUA, 75SM9070PUA, 86SM9070PUA)

Nah you're definitely right. Guess I'm not as sensitive to frame drops? Or maybe having the tv set to 120hz just makes things smooth enough for me. Sorry dude!
It actually says on the rtings page you linked that 4k VRR Maximum is 60.

It could possibly kick in itself under 60. I'm not sure about that. I must check it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It actually says on the rtings page you linked that 4k VRR Maximum is 60.

It could possibly kick in itself under 60. I'm not sure about that. I must check it.
Yeah I noticed that, but later in the article they said they had nothing to test HDMI 2.1 products on so I assumed it just would haha. Sorry for making it seem I didn't believe you there.

I wonder if this is something that could be patched in. But on the other hand, I feel we're somewhat lucky to have 4k 120hz as all. 😂 Seeing I kinda bought this tv on a whim a year ago I should consider myself lucky. Appreciate you clarifying things though. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now that I'm off work today (woohoo!), gonna figure out if I prefer the fluidness of having 120hz on or prefer having VRR on at 60hz. What I wonder is, with autolow latency and game mode on, will I be able to tell much of a difference if the game I'm playing isn't at 120 fps? Because I know 120hz does mean more fluidity/less input lag.

·
Registered
959 Posts
View attachment 3055936

I know we already confirmed it but 😎

If any of you want to give me an add on xbox it's "TheMrMike95."
Very nice ! I didn't get a Series X yet but, seeing this, I guess I won't hang tight for a 2tb model.

I'll grab one on the next batch of them...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now that I'm off work today (woohoo!), gonna figure out if I prefer the fluidness of having 120hz on or prefer having VRR on at 60hz. What I wonder is, with autolow latency and game mode on, will I be able to tell much of a difference if the game I'm playing isn't at 120 fps? Because I know 120hz does mean more fluidity/less input lag.
I'm probably going to stick with 4k 120, but depending on the game I may drop back down. Any of the current games all stay very close to the expected frame rate so you shouldn't notice much tearing. Down the line when they are really pushing the console and there are some major frame dips then 4k 60 with vrr might be the better option. Or even 1440p 120 vrr (which I think has the best input lag, though I'm open to correction!)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got the 5.00.02 firmware and have had nothing but issues on my LG 86SM9070PUA. I wrote support but haven't heard back.. Here's what I'm having problems with that never occurred previously. If anyone has any suggestions would be appreciated (and from what I researched I can't roll back to previous firmware?)

"
I have just updated to the 05.00.02 firmware update for my 86SM9070PUA LG TV. Everything has been working perfect since I got the TV with no issues after several updates. However after going to the 05.00.02 I have had major audio issues with the TV.

Issue#1: When using e-Arc with my JBL Bar 9.1 the TV is supposed to control the volume of device through e-Arc. I can change the volume up or down 1 or 2 times then it stops responding. The TV will display the " + -" Volume indicator showing it's changing the volume, but the sound bar does nothing.. Again.. it works with I press volume up or down about 2-3 times, the bar's volume changes, then it stops.. The TV is receiving the signal but not communicating with Soundbar via HDMI-2 e-Arc port.

Issue#2: When having e-Arc on Passthrough when I launch any app, YouTube, Netflix, etc, the TV source audio will continue to play (from my Direct TV receiver). So while on menu's I hear my DirectTV audio while looking at the app.. Until I play the app's video content, then the audio will switch over. I resolved this issue by choosing AUTO for e-ARC audio type.. But I don't want AUTO I want PASSTHROUGH.

Issue#3: While watch TV (DirectTV) The sound will either stop completely, or I'll only hear background sound and no talking, or the audio is garbled and distorted.. I have to turn off my soundbar and back on for it to correct itself.. Happening quite often. The only happens when eARC is set to AUTO.. Passthrough works fine for audio except as mentioned above with the apps.

I reset my TV settings, and re-connected my JBL Soundbar via magiclink and manually though TV settings, did not help. I tried to download 05.00.02 manually and install via USB but it wont reinstall because it's already installed via the update utility.

Please fix this problem and release a patch or tell me how I can roll back to the previous update 04.08.02 as I had no issues whatsoever with that version of the firmware."

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm probably going to stick with 4k 120, but depending on the game I may drop back down. Any of the current games all stay very close to the expected frame rate so you shouldn't notice much tearing. Down the line when they are really pushing the console and there are some major frame dips then 4k 60 with vrr might be the better option. Or even 1440p 120 vrr (which I think has the best input lag, though I'm open to correction!)

A little update to our situation. I'm wondering if it's a bug and it can be patched in, or something. I'm not smart enough to know. Lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys. Can any PS5/Xb1x/ RTX 30 owner confirm whether the SM9000/9500 is able to do 4k120hz hdr, or sdr only?
If you scroll up a bit you'll find an in-depth answer. I believe the answer to your question is yes but definitely take a look.

Edit: Derp I'm exhausted. 4k 120hz HDr 10 all work at the same time for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks everyone who was able to test the tv and post the results!
By any chance does someone have 49 inch model? Is it really the same as 55/65 in terms of 2.1 support?

And the second question is - I got that the tv supports 4k 120 input but can anyone really confirm that 120 hz refresh rate is really there? Or is it the case of old "HD Ready" TVs that accepted 1080p input but actually had lower resolution of the panel itself. So it's not some stealth 60 hz tv panel that accepts 120 hz signal?

Thanks again for any reply

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks everyone who was able to test the tv and post the results!
By any chance does someone have 49 inch model? Is it really the same as 55/65 in terms of 2.1 support?

And the second question is - I got that the tv supports 4k 120 input but can anyone really confirm that 120 hz refresh rate is really there? Or is it the case of old "HD Ready" TVs that accepted 1080p input but actually had lower resolution of the panel itself. So it's not some stealth 60 hz tv panel that accepts 120 hz signal?

Thanks again for any reply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks! But that what I was asking - it shows 120hz and 12 bit and all is dandy but the panel itself is 10 bit for example yet the signal it "accepts" is 12 bit.
So the same with frame rate - is there a tangible difference you can really observe in 120 hz mode or it just basically "accepts" 120 hz but drops every other frame since the tv is actually 60 hz?

341 - 360 of 362 Posts