Registered
10,568 Posts

·
Registered
10,568 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone have the Spears & Munsil Benchmark UHD?

When played back with a Panasonic UB420, when viewing the HDR brightness section, I get black crush on 2%. No matter what I set the brightness to, I cannot see the 2% bar. However, when I change Contrast Enhacer to any setting other than off, I get a quick flash of the 2% bar, but it settles back to the crush.

Do I have a setting wrong elsewhere, or does the PQ curve on the Q70R simply crush the 2%?

(The 2% bar is viewable on the SDR pattern.)
After playing around with it for some amount of time, I was able to rid the black crush by doing some combination of turning local dimming to low while in HDR, and turning contranst enhancer on. After doing so, it seems the EOTF algorithm reset itself, and with local dimming back to high and contranst enhancer off, I was able to see the 2% black.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just got an update notification for firmware 1371. Guess I'll see if I notice any changes anywhere. Would be nice to know what the updates address in advance.
No update for the USA, yet...

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just checked. Current is still 1361

·
Registered
213 Posts
Samsung loves Spewdom.

Reactions: Spewdom

·
Registered
502 Posts
1371 is up on the US website. Downloading now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone, I was thinking about buying the Q70R primarly for HDR Movies and Next-gen gaming on a PS5/Xbox Series X. I know the Q70R doesnt suppport 4k at 120hz but im fine with 4k60 with VRR or 1440p 120hz with VRR. Does the tv still have ghosting and local dimming issues while gaming/in game mode?

I read somewhere that ghosting issues have been fixed but not with VRR. Can someone confirm this?
I dont have any plans to game with a PC on this tv so only interested in performance with a console that should most likely support both freesync and hdmi forum vrr.

Or shall I just go for the X9000H?

·
Registered
10,568 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey everyone, I was thinking about buying the Q70R primarly for HDR Movies and Next-gen gaming on a PS5/Xbox Series X. I know the Q70R doesnt suppport 4k at 120hz but im fine with 4k60 with VRR or 1440p 120hz with VRR. Does the tv still have ghosting and local dimming issues while gaming/in game mode?

I read somewhere that ghosting issues have been fixed but not with VRR. Can someone confirm this?
I dont have any plans to game with a PC on this tv so only interested in performance with a console that should most likely support both freesync and hdmi forum vrr.

Or shall I just go for the X9000H?
Go with x9000h i think, newer model with more features but more or less same picture quality, so you don't have buyer remorse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go with x9000h i think, newer model with more features but more or less same picture quality, so you don't have buyer remorse.
Thing is I am getting a better deal on the Q70R being last years model....Do you have the Q70R and experience with the issues in game mode?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thing is I am getting a better deal on the Q70R being last years model....Do you have the Q70R and experience with the issues in game mode?
My experience.. no, the dumbed down game mode people talk about samsung i can't notice it with sdr/hdr game with q70r. However, in game mode local dimming doesn't change when you adjust it like in movie mode.

I am playing on pc with nvidia in game console input setting.. sometimes in selected game hdr mode does not really work well.. but the one like hzd looks really good.

If the difference is not half of it, i would go with x900h just because the reason i mentioned previously.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My experience.. no, the dumbed down game mode people talk about samsung i can't notice it with sdr/hdr game with q70r. However, in game mode local dimming doesn't change when you adjust it like in movie mode.

I am playing on pc with nvidia in game console input setting.. sometimes in selected game hdr mode does not really work well.. but the one like hzd looks really good.

If the difference is not half of it, i would go with x900h just because the reason i mentioned previously.
The difference is about 15% not more than that, thanks for your input !

·
Registered
827 Posts
I haven't used VRR, but I haven't seen any ghosting in Game Mode. The backlight flicker is 120Hz so some 60fps games without some environmental motion blur can show duplicate frames. I've only seen it in one game I tested (Doom 3). I play all my games in Movie Mode since it has a 960Hz backlight flicker, the best use of local dimming, and the input lag really isn't bad as long as Auto Motion is turned completely off. If you play in Game Mode, you can still go into the picture settings and adjust. I turned brightness down to -2 and turned Contrast Enhancer to High to make up for the slightly duller HDR pop.

If I went back to 2019, I'd still choose the Q70R. I really like the TV and my only complaint is some blooming every now and then. Most obvious with black loading screens with a bright white icon in a corner. If I were buying a TV in 2020, I'd get one with HDMI 2.1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't used VRR, but I haven't seen any ghosting in Game Mode. The backlight flicker is 120Hz so some 60fps games without some environmental motion blur can show duplicate frames. I've only seen it in one game I tested (Doom 3). I play all my games in Movie Mode since it has a 960Hz backlight flicker, the best use of local dimming, and the input lag really isn't bad as long as Auto Motion is turned completely off. If you play in Game Mode, you can still go into the picture settings and adjust. I turned brightness down to -2 and turned Contrast Enhancer to High to make up for the slightly duller HDR pop.

If I went back to 2019, I'd still choose the Q70R. I really like the TV and my only complaint is some blooming every now and then. Most obvious with black loading screens with a bright white icon in a corner. If I were buying a TV in 2020, I'd get one with HDMI 2.1.
Apparently the ghosting shows up mostly when VRR is enabled. I can see you have the Xbox One X you have not tried using VRR with that?

Also regarding the blooming, is it bad with subtitles or is it fine?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Apparently the ghosting shows up mostly when VRR is enabled. I can see you have the Xbox One X you have not tried using VRR with that?

Also regarding the blooming, is it bad with subtitles or is it fine?
Nope, haven't tried VRR. My Xbox One X is plugged into my AVR (which can't pass-through VRR) and no games I've played have had v-sync issues that made me want to plug my Xbox into the TV and use ARC. You'll see some brightening with subtitles depending on how dark the scene is when the text appears. But I never use subtitles so it's a non issue. Turning local dimming down from high setting helps some.

2181 - 2200 of 2212 Posts