AVS Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2370 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Apparently the ghosting shows up mostly when VRR is enabled. I can see you have the Xbox One X you have not tried using VRR with that?

Also regarding the blooming, is it bad with subtitles or is it fine?
I don't have a Xbox yet , Series X is on pre order, but if it is anything like my PS4 pro, I will continue to game in movie mode.

There is a pretty huge hit to the PQ to run game mode, and I personally don't think the slightly faster input lag is worth it to me.

To answer your other question, the blooming on subtitles is pretty bad.

However the blacks on letterboxes are so black, you will wonder how they pulled it off on a LCD.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't have a Xbox yet , Series X is on pre order, but if it is anything like my PS4 pro, I will continue to game in movie mode.

There is a pretty huge hit to the PQ to run game mode, and I personally don't think the slightly faster input lag is worth it to me.

However the blacks on letterboxes are so black, you will wonder how they pulled it off on a LCD.
I was able to adjust the picture settings in Game Mode to where it doesn't look that different versus Movie Mode. Local dimming in dark scenes is really where you can notice it isn't as good in Game Mode, but not as bad as the default Game Mode settings. With that said, I still game in Movie Mode.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Subtitles blooming is a big issue for me as I watch almost everything with subtitles :/

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Just received and setup the wife's new Q49Q80T. Everything setup without issue, but can't figure out why the Alexa, despite the correct log in, doesn't respond. Any secrets here ?

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Just received and setup the wife's new Q49Q80T. Everything setup without issue, but can't figure out why the Alexa, despite the correct log in, doesn't respond. Any secrets here ?
The secret - let wife do it! All good. (Alexa probably doesn't like my voice either.)
I'm to use the candy bar remote, versus her doing all the pairing with the other, smaller remotes !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nope, haven't tried VRR. My Xbox One X is plugged into my AVR (which can't pass-through VRR) and no games I've played have had v-sync issues that made me want to plug my Xbox into the TV and use ARC. You'll see some brightening with subtitles depending on how dark the scene is when the text appears. But I never use subtitles so it's a non issue. Turning local dimming down from high setting helps some.
I do use my Xbox One X plugged directly into my Q70R with toslink optic audio to the AVR. I refuse to use ARC.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I do use my Xbox One X plugged directly into my Q70R with toslink optic audio to the AVR. I refuse to use ARC.
I still buy 4K Blu-rays so my Xbox goes into the AVR to get the best audio.

I did hook the Xbox into the TV to try VRR. Only checked out Gears 5 since it supports VRR. I didn't see any ghosting, but I was getting audio delay that I couldn't quick fix. I found a spot in Gears 5 that has a slight stutter and VRR didn't smooth it out. The stutter was still there. I get no audio delay using ARC with the built-in TV apps, but it was very noticeable with the Xbox. Also, twice the screen wouldn't adjust correctly and the picture was washed out so I went into Xbox settings and then back into the game and it corrected itself. So yeah, I'll keep the consoles plugged into the AVR.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I still buy 4K Blu-rays so my Xbox goes into the AVR to get the best audio.

I did hook the Xbox into the TV to try VRR. Only checked out Gears 5 since it supports VRR. I didn't see any ghosting, but I was getting audio delay that I couldn't quick fix. I found a spot in Gears 5 that has a slight stutter and VRR didn't smooth it out. The stutter was still there. I get no audio delay using ARC with the built-in TV apps, but it was very noticeable with the Xbox. Also, twice the screen wouldn't adjust correctly and the picture was washed out so I went into Xbox settings and then back into the game and it corrected itself. So yeah, I'll keep the consoles plugged into the AVR.
Audio out sucks on this tv for Xbox. Had the same experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Samsung QN85Q70R - Samsung UN65KS8000 - Denon AVR-X1200W - PS4 Pro - PS3 - Samsung UBD-K8500
49 Posts
Still no update here in Canada. Not that it seems like it does anything anyway :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,593 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can a Samsung q70r pass OTA internal tuner audio via ARC? If so I may shift my opinion on ARC.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm trying to set Xbox one x calibration in game mode, FreeSync on. I can't see the closed eye. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm trying to set Xbox one x calibration in game mode, FreeSync on. I can't see the closed eye. Any suggestions?
You're not supposed to see the closed eye. The whole box should be black. Only the open eye should be seen.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You're not supposed to see the closed eye. The whole box should be black. Only the open eye should be seen.
Where did you hear/read that? I did read to adjust brightness until the open eye starts to darken.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Where did you hear/read that? I did read to adjust brightness until the open eye starts to darken.
It says it in the first pic with the eyes. "Brightness: turn this all the way up, then turn it down so the large closed eye to the right just disappears."

You don't want to wash out your black level.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It says it in the first pic with the eyes. "Brightness: turn this all the way up, then turn it down so the large closed eye to the right just disappears."

You don't want to wash out your black level.
So, since the closed eye never shows, turn brightness all the way up and leave it there?

·
Registered
948 Posts
So, since the closed eye never shows, turn brightness all the way up and leave it there?
I can see the closed eye at +5 on Brightness setting. For SDR, my Backlight is at 50. Contrast is at 45. Local Dimming is set to Standard, and Contrast Enhancer is set to Low.

Edit: And I set Brightness to -2 in Game Mode to try and make up for the local dimming that isn't as good as Movie Mode (if I ever do play in Game Mode).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had my Q70R ISF calibrated. Movie, warm2, Backlight 25, brightness 5, contrast 25, sharp 0, color 25, tint 0. Dimming high, processing off, gamma bt.1886, color space auto. I see no closed eye.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had my Q70R ISF calibrated. Movie, warm2, Backlight 25, brightness 5, contrast 25, sharp 0, color 25, tint 0. Dimming high, processing off, gamma bt.1886, color space auto. I see no closed eye.
Just changed my settings to those. I can see the eye with those settings. But, I will not use those settings because the image quality is terrible. I guess make sure you have Eco and Intelligent settings turned off.

2201 - 2220 of 2370 Posts