AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2500 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anyone know if Samsung will update the Q70R to support Q Symphony?
Wouldn't hold your breath. Their website says it is supported on 2020 TV's and soundbars. Adding features to 2019 hardware would be a disincentive to upgrade to newer hardware, and that's not something Samsung is known for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need to switch the source to TV. On my TV the icon says “SAMSUNG TV PLUS” and looks like a TV. Then you can auto program your broadcast channels in the broadcasting menu.
Ho, so I have to be on the Samsung TV source , then the broadcasting menu will be available?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wouldn't hold your breath. Their website says it is supported on 2020 TV's and soundbars. Adding features to 2019 hardware would be a disincentive to upgrade to newer hardware, and that's not something Samsung is known for.
Shame.. I bought the Q800T soundbar assuming the Q Symphony will 'enhance' the Atmos experience, only to realize after purchase that its only supported on 2020 models.

·
Registered
990 Posts
TV just prompted me to update to FW 1374. No eARC and no 4K120. Those are the two additions I've read most about coming to the Q70R. Those looking forward to either should just give up.

·
Registered
Samsung QN85Q70R - Samsung UN65KS8000 - Denon AVR-X1200W - PS4 Pro - PS3 - Samsung UBD-K8500
55 Posts
TV just prompted me to update to FW 1374. No eARC and no 4K120. Those are the two additions I've read most about coming to the Q70R. Those looking forward to either should just give up.
That’s what they want us to do! Don’t give in 😔. I was never counting on 4k/120 because I don’t think it has the bandwidth, but eArc is possible and they know it, and promised it.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
You have to be on TV Mode for Broadcasting to show.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is there an antenna connected?

·
Registered
69 Posts
How would we know if eARC is implemented? Would it be a new setting?

·
Registered
413 Posts
How would we know if eARC is implemented? Would it be a new setting?
Best guess is that audio out options would change. eARC allows for uncompressed HD audio, like Atmos and DTS:X.

However, it's not gonna happen. We were flat out lied to.

Sent from somewhere you've never been.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just checked and tried to update. Mine shows 1372 as the current update.

Reactions: sixseven

·
Registered
536 Posts
It looks like i'm the only one who don't care about eARC and 4K120:oops:. I like the image quality that Q70R puts out. I got it for fairly low price and it was great buy

·
Registered
990 Posts
It looks like i'm the only one who don't care about eARC and 4K120:oops:. I like the image quality that Q70R puts out. I got it for fairly low price and it was great buy
I honestly don't care if eARC arrives. It would be nice when I use the TV apps to stream, but the surround sound still sounds good. My Series X has audio lag when using ARC so the Series X goes through the AVR first. eARC would probably eliminate that lag.
For 4K120: I had no belief this would come, but Q80R owners say the Q80R supports 4K120 after last update. The Q80R and Q70R are both 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 so it seems like the Q70R should be capable.

Reactions: sixseven

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bummer. I just applied the 1374 update. This post had me hopeful that i could have my Series X output "5.1 uncompressed" audio. Nope. Still stuck with "stereo uncompressed" or i get audio lag.

Reactions: Adidas

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I've been able to pass DD+, Dolby Atmos and other formats through ARC channel to my receiver for a while now. I noticed if I tried to play something on the PC or through the built in TV Apps such as Prime video, it wasn't passing the signal. For Atmos in specific, I had to make sure that the TV audio format was set to DD+ before it would pass the Atmos signal to the receiver. Otherwise it was just PCM signal.

EJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I've been able to pass DD+, Dolby Atmos and other formats through ARC channel to my receiver for a while now. I noticed if I tried to play something on the PC or through the built in TV Apps such as Prime video, it wasn't passing the signal. For Atmos in specific, I had to make sure that the TV audio format was set to DD+ before it would pass the Atmos signal to the receiver. Otherwise it was just PCM signal.

EJ
Correct, works fine on mine too. QD70R to Denon 750H. Firecube TV 4K and Firecube Stick 4K both pass DD+ and Dolby Atmos. Not DV, but then the Q7DR doesn't support that anyway.

·
Registered
Samsung QN85Q70R - Samsung UN65KS8000 - Denon AVR-X1200W - PS4 Pro - PS3 - Samsung UBD-K8500
55 Posts

EJ
Yes, these are lossy formats. Arc can pass all of these. eArc can pass uncompressed hd audio and atmos. For a difference, listen to the audio from a blu ray vs same movie through arc on Netflix as an example.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Another bit of likely HDMI hoodoo voodoo to figure out:

What's going on when the TV Sound setting keeps reverting from "Receiver (HDMI)" where I want it to "TV Speaker"? In other words, I set it to Receiver, go back to the main Sound menu and it has changed back to TV.

I have three BD players connected to HDMIs 1 through 3 on a Yammy RX-A880 with one HDMI cable going out of that AVR to HDMI input 4 on the Sammy (since it's the eARC compatible connection, yes?).

I'm of course wanting to watch TV app content with the audio going out to my AVR. Ironically, I've connected a TosLink from the display to the AVR, selected "Optical" under TV Sound and it worked fine. But I of course shouldn't have to do that.
Hi Paul.R.S, your issue with ARC is interesting where it switches itself to TV Speaker after selecting Receiver (HDMI). You may already done this but first make sure settings are correct with the receiver and TV for ARC.
On the receiver settings, enable HDMI Control and ARC and on TV settings, enable AnyNet+ (which should be enabled by default) and select sound Receiver (HDMI).
Connect HDMI cable from receiver HDMI Out 1 (ARC) to TV HDMI 4 (ARC).
And before re-testing ARC, remove optical cable from TV to receiver as this might confuse the receiver and/or TV. If ARC is working the receiver should auto switch to TV Audio by default.

Some suggestion to test ARC:
  1. try using a HDMI with ethernet cable from TV to receiver and re-test ARC
  2. remove all HDMI input cables from receiver and TV (except HDMI cable for ARC) and re-test ARC
  3. disable all blue-tooth devices, phones, receiver, TV, headphones, etc.. and check Samsung Multi-Output Audio is not enabled...General > Accessibility > Multi-Output Audio (note: if this is enabled then something is still connected) and re-test ARC
  4. If still not able to get ARC working. remove HDMI cable from TV HDMI 4 (ARC) input, power down TV and receiver, remove TV and receiver power cords, wait for about 15-30 minutes. Plug in the receiver and TV power cords. Turn on TV and receiver and then connect HDMI cable to TV HDMI 4 (ARC). Go into Samsung menu and make sure AnyNet+ is enabled and sound Receiver (HDMI) is selected. Also go into receiver menu and make sure HDMI Control and ARC is enabled. Now select the TV app to play and hopefully ARC will auto switch receiver to TV Audio.
Disclaimer for testing 4: some device does not recommend removing or connecting HDMI cable when device is power on, so try at your own risk. Just note I have done this (twice) with no ill effect when Receiver (HDMI) option disappear from the sound menu.
Thanks for taking the time to substantively respond, JChin.

The issue was that HDMI audio output on the Yamaha AVR needed to be turned OFF. I don't entirely understand which was the causal agent but once that setting was changed and I understood that "Receiver (HDMI)" only populates as an option in the Sammy when TV audio is present the setting then behaved as desired (and my Yammy AVR auto switches to the input on which it accepts TV audio).

Interestingly, I just bought a new "SlimRun" HDMI cable which is marketed as 18Gbps but it did NOT work for ARC. Apparently it is a v1.3 cable. Switching back to a cable labeled "High Speed With Ethernet" got ARC working again. Mind you, it's my understanding that Ethernet is not the necessary component but rather--since it is obviously a v1.4 cable--it supports ARC. ARC and Ethernet were both introduced with HDMI v1.4.

2481 - 2500 of 2500 Posts