AVS Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2591 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is no way to just set PS5 to 120Hz like there is on Xbox. You need to have a game that supports 120Hz and go into PS5's 'Game/App Settings' and select 'Game Presets' and you can have PS5 choose performance or resolution modes in games as a default. That's currently the only way to play any game in 120fps. I don't own any 120fps games on PS5 to try. Fortnite is free so I guess I could download it to see what resolution the Q70R displays at 120Hz on PS5.

*EDIT: After trying Fortnite, PS5 switches to 1080p120 (using HDMI 4 on Q70R). No support for 4K120 or even 1440p120 that is supported on Xbox. The good news is, unlike Xbox, PS5 still supports HDR at 1080p120.
I can confirm the game switches to 1080/120p on HDMI 2 (Can't use HDMI 4 as that's the only one that has ARC so my Soundbar is using that port), but you HAVE to set the PS5 to choose Performance over Resolution in the PS5's settings. Gutted i can't play 4K/120p or even 1440/120p as it's super smooth!

I wonder what other PS5 games support 120hz..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I can confirm the game switches to 1080/120p on HDMI 2 (Can't use HDMI 4 as that's the only one that has ARC so my Soundbar is using that port), but you HAVE to set the PS5 to choose Performance over Resolution in the PS5's settings. Gutted i can't play 4K/120p or even 1440/120p as it's super smooth!

I wonder what other PS5 games support 120hz..
These are the games on PS5 that have 120fps support:

Borderlands 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Destiny 2
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
Dirt 5
Fortnite
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
The Nioh Collection
Rainbow Six Siege
WRC 9

·
Registered
71 Posts
For Series X owners, I think this probably applies to the Q70R. I’m going to try it for a few days and see how things look.

Reactions: Spewdom

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
For Series X owners, I think this probably applies to the Q70R. I’m going to try it for a few days and see how things look.
I turned on 4:2:2 a few days ago after a conversation with another member here at AVS. Glad to see Vincent do a follow up video on the setting. I haven't noticed any differences, but I also haven't stood close to my TV and went back and forth between the settings.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I turned on 4:2:2 a few days ago after a conversation with another member here at AVS. Glad to see Vincent do a follow up video on the setting. I haven't noticed any differences, but I also haven't stood close to my TV and went back and forth between the settings.
Do you have the Series X output 12 bit or 10 bit with 4:2:2? The video doesn't say this, but I think Vincent had to have been using 12 bit, right?

On a side note, I've reworked my connections. I have my Series X going in my HW-Q70R soundbar, which is connected to HDMI4 on the Q70R. I've lost 1440p/120 (which I didn't really use) and VRR (which I did use), but I've gained Atmos and the ability to have surround sound without lag. So far, I haven't noticed any frame drops without VRR, but I've mostly been playing The Medium, so not super intensive from a framerate perspective. I've played a little Doom Eternal, and what little I played was buttery smooth, so maybe I'll keep this configuration for now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Do you have the Series X output 12 bit or 10 bit with 4:2:2? The video doesn't say this, but I think Vincent had to have been using 12 bit, right?

On a side note, I've reworked my connections. I have my Series X going in my HW-Q70R soundbar, which is connected to HDMI4 on the Q70R. I've lost 1440p/120 (which I didn't really use) and VRR (which I did use), but I've gained Atmos and the ability to have surround sound without lag. So far, I haven't noticed any frame drops without VRR, but I've mostly been playing The Medium, so not super intensive from a framerate perspective. I've played a little Doom Eternal, and what little I played was buttery smooth, so maybe I'll keep this configuration for now.
The 8-bit, 10-bit, 12-bit section in settings only applies to SDR content.
The Vudu app on Xbox still continues to play HDR movies at 4K60 output instead of switching to 4K24. But, SDR on Vudu plays 4K24 on Xbox and that gives 10-bit 4:4:4. And my SDR is set at 12-bit on Xbox, but is overridden by the Vudu app for better chroma subsampling. Noticed this yesterday.

Reactions: sixseven

·
Registered
347 Posts
Help please if you can. I just got a HW-Q70R sound bar and hooked it up. While the sound is amazing it will increase the sound on its own to 53 every 3-7 minutes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Help please if you can. I just got a HW-Q70R sound bar and hooked it up. While the sound is amazing it will increase the sound on its own to 53 every 3-7 minutes.
Try a factory reset. With the power on, hold the volume up and volume down buttons on the soundbar (not the remote) until the display shows "Init". Then it will reset.

Sent from somewhere you've never been.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone else had a weird update happen when playing PS5? I had firmware 1374 and it still says 1374, but..

When i just turned my PS5 on the Tv automatically changed source (it never does this) and also a screen loaded up saying "One moment, we are configurating settings to produce the best UHD picture possible". I also had my Game Console source renamed to PlayStation 5 but that has now reset itself too?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Has anyone else had a weird update happen when playing PS5? I had firmware 1374 and it still says 1374, but..

When i just turned my PS5 on the Tv automatically changed source (it never does this) and also a screen loaded up saying "One moment, we are configurating settings to produce the best UHD picture possible". I also had my Game Console source renamed to PlayStation 5 but that has now reset itself too?
I'll check later when I have time to see if I notice anything. Nothing like that yesterday.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

You have your PS5 connected directly to the TV? My PS5 goes through my AVR and messing with PS5 now, it's the same as always. Console just boots up in HDR and TV is in HDR like before. No changes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You have your PS5 connected directly to the TV? My PS5 goes through my AVR and messing with PS5 now, it's the same as always. Console just boots up in HDR and TV is in HDR like before. No changes.
Yes connected to my Tv via HDMI, but it's never done this, i've had my PS5 since launch..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes connected to my Tv via HDMI, but it's never done this, i've had my PS5 since launch..
Does it happen every time you turn on your PS5? Or just the one time?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does it happen every time you turn on your PS5? Or just the one time?
It happened just the once, yesterday. I've been playing my PS5 since launch so i have no idea why it randomly did that, you'd think it would of done it the first time i turned my PS5 on. Anyway, i've renamed my Source back to PlayStation 5 and i will see if it does it again in future, hopefully get a screenshot next time..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It happened just the once, yesterday. I've been playing my PS5 since launch so i have no idea why it randomly did that, you'd think it would of done it the first time i turned my PS5 on. Anyway, i've renamed my Source back to PlayStation 5 and i will see if it does it again in future, hopefully get a screenshot next time..
With nothing changing, all I can think of is a possibly loose HDMI port on the TV or PS5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys are really scaring me with bad HDR posts, maybe I shouldn't buy PS5 after all :/. My friends bought PS5 recently so I decided do step away from PC gaming for a while and pick up a console. I heard that PS5 displays SDR content in HDR container and it gave me flashbacks to my PC HDR gaming experience. Maybe my RX580 is bad at HDR or something but I absolutely hated how HDR looked on PC. Desktop was washed out, games were very dark and colors were straight up worse than in SDR. Only few titles were working correctly. It's hard to count how many solutions I tried - nothing really helped. Maybe Windows 10 is just bad at HDR. I was comparing my live games to Youtube videos of the same locations/settings and Youtube app was presenting HDR games with correct brightness and awesome colors.

It's very dissapointing to to see people have the same problem on PS5. I actually like HDR content on this TV in Netflix/Youtube and I would love to enjoy HDR games too.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You guys are really scaring me with bad HDR posts, maybe I shouldn't buy PS5 after all :/. My friends bought PS5 recently so I decided do step away from PC gaming for a while and pick up a console. I heard that PS5 displays SDR content in HDR container and it gave me flashbacks to my PC HDR gaming experience. Maybe my RX580 is bad at HDR or something but I absolutely hated how HDR looked on PC. Desktop was washed out, games were very dark and colors were straight up worse than in SDR. Only few titles were working correctly. It's hard to count how many solutions I tried - nothing really helped. Maybe Windows 10 is just bad at HDR. I was comparing my live games to Youtube videos of the same locations/settings and Youtube app was presenting HDR games with correct brightness and awesome colors.

It's very dissapointing to to see people have the same problem on PS5. I actually like HDR content on this TV in Netflix/Youtube and I would love to enjoy HDR games too.
Where are you reading about bad HDR on PS5? Sure, PS5 runs everything in HDR, but SDR games really don't look bad on this TV when HDR is on. I've been playing a lot of Battlefield 4 recently and it looks fine with HDR activated. Bad HDR in games is when developers mishandle HDR in their games.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The delay is only when using an external source not the internal apps for audio. The apps are fine.

Sent from somewhere you've never been.
Maybe someone (M$, Samsung) can make an Gaming APP to allow everything to play nice with the Q70r.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, I have a question regarding backlight. My TV is mostly calibrated and my PC that is hooked up to it as well (matching RGB Level,color space etc.). I guess that theres the general consensus that the Q70R is fairly bright and a backlight level between 15-25 seems to be optimal. This definitely applies to desktop use, movies and bright games (like for example Nintendo Switch), but as soon as I play realistic looking games with lots of shadows and graphical fidelity (for example witcher 3, sea of thieves, hunt:showdown), the image is way too dark to easily spot details. The image generally looks dull and muted. As soon as i crank up the backlight to around 40-50 the games look like theyre supposed to. Bright highlights, dark areas are still visible. Picture looks great. I want to know what you guys are using, since it is generally recommended to only use that high level of backlight with HDR.

2541 - 2560 of 2591 Posts