AVS Forum banner

2561 - 2580 of 2591 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi guys, I have a question regarding backlight. My TV is mostly calibrated and my PC that is hooked up to it as well (matching RGB Level,color space etc.). I guess that theres the general consensus that the Q70R is fairly bright and a backlight level between 15-25 seems to be optimal. This definitely applies to desktop use, movies and bright games (like for example Nintendo Switch), but as soon as I play realistic looking games with lots of shadows and graphical fidelity (for example witcher 3, sea of thieves, hunt:showdown), the image is way too dark to easily spot details. The image generally looks dull and muted. As soon as i crank up the backlight to around 40-50 the games look like theyre supposed to. Bright highlights, dark areas are still visible. Picture looks great. I want to know what you guys are using, since it is generally recommended to only use that high level of backlight with HDR.
Yes i think hdr games supposed to use that max. backlight.. and i sometimes switch from "pc mode" to "game console" for pc gaming in menu to get better picture.
and if i found something looks dull to my eyes.. i just crank up the colour setting to 30-32. I just use what is available on the tv which pleases my eyes.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi guys, I have a question regarding backlight. My TV is mostly calibrated and my PC that is hooked up to it as well (matching RGB Level,color space etc.). I guess that theres the general consensus that the Q70R is fairly bright and a backlight level between 15-25 seems to be optimal. This definitely applies to desktop use, movies and bright games (like for example Nintendo Switch), but as soon as I play realistic looking games with lots of shadows and graphical fidelity (for example witcher 3, sea of thieves, hunt:showdown), the image is way too dark to easily spot details. The image generally looks dull and muted. As soon as i crank up the backlight to around 40-50 the games look like theyre supposed to. Bright highlights, dark areas are still visible. Picture looks great. I want to know what you guys are using, since it is generally recommended to only use that high level of backlight with HDR.
My (Movie Mode) SDR Backlight is at 50, Contrast 45, Local Dimming set to Standard, Contrast Enhancer Off, Warm2 Color Tone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My (Movie Mode) SDR Backlight is at 50, Contrast 45, Local Dimming set to Standard, Contrast Enhancer Off, Warm2 Color Tone.
Do you mainly play games or watch movie content? Personally I feel that games (especially modern ones) often need more backlight than movies. And do you use the 50 backlight setting day and night?

@Dimon.Zorg I wouldnt use Contrast Enhancer with Movie Mode. You will crush shadow details. In game mode you can leave it on "low" since it works differently/barely there.

·
Registered
650 Posts
In opposite it crushes shadow details in HDR if CE is off.

Отправлено с моего Redmi Note 8 Pro через Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There's some shadow detail loss with Contrast Enhancer off. The best option is to turn it on to Low
For SDR? Nah. Plus, blooming is a little worse in SDR if Contrast Enhancer is on.

Do you mainly play games or watch movie content? Personally I feel that games (especially modern ones) often need more backlight than movies. And do you use the 50 backlight setting day and night?
My SDR and HDR settings are for games and movies. Day and night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For SDR? Nah. Plus, blooming is a little worse in SDR if Contrast Enhancer is on.

My SDR and HDR settings are for games and movies. Day and night.
Oh, and another question. Since your using Local Dimming "Standard" for SDR, is there a drawback for using "low", because standard seems to have this bug where the backlight needs quite a time to "lighten up" when transitioning from a dark image to a bright one.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Oh, and another question. Since your using Local Dimming "Standard" for SDR, is there a drawback for using "low", because standard seems to have this bug where the backlight needs quite a time to "lighten up" when transitioning from a dark image to a bright one.
I honestly have not encountered the image needing time to brighten when going from dark to light. I haven't watched much SDR content with local dimming set to low, just ran some tests a while ago. I recall blacks not getting as black in some scenes and having more bloom around small bright objects because the local dimming isn't working as much. Like a black screen with a white logo in the center has brighter area around the logo with low setting. You'll get less crushing of stars in star pattern tests with local dimming set to low, but black levels aren't as deep.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Little change of subject here. With Samsung coming out with new and much ballyhooed Micro LED's like the QN90A and 85A both having many more dimming zones and both being available in 55,65,75,85 inch sizes, and being so bright, how do you think our Q70R's stack up? I ask because I've heard that Samsung comes out with the best technology improvements on the odd years and since they are pushing 8K (QN900 Series) I wonder if the 4K series is being dumbned down a little. The latest reviews are very good though.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Little change of subject here. With Samsung coming out with new and much ballyhooed Micro LED's like the QN90A and 85A both having many more dimming zones and both being available in 55,65,75,85 inch sizes, and being so bright, how do you think our Q70R's stack up? I ask because I've heard that Samsung comes out with the best technology improvements on the odd years and since they are pushing 8K (QN900 Series) I wonder if the 4K series is being dumbned down a little. The latest reviews are very good though.
I'll read Rtings breakdown, and see one of the TV's in person. But, I have no interest in buying a new TV anytime soon. Maybe in next 4-5 years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone else have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on PS5? What HDR settings should i be using on my Q70R? I thought setting the HDR settings within the PS5 itself was enough and would just automatically apply to all games? Just skipped for now and left everything default..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyone know if there are downsides to disabling input signal plus? For some reason I needed to disable it in order to see my apple TV after a power outage.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Anyone know if there are downsides to disabling input signal plus? For some reason I needed to disable it in order to see my apple TV after a power outage.
I just turned Input Signal Plus off while playing PS5 and the TV disabled HDR. So I'd leave it on if you want HDR.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
A different question. I'm sure I saw this at some time here but, how can I check and see what resolution is currently being displayed on my screen?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah. It will show if you have HDR enabled as well.

There is a way to do it with the smart remote. One of the buttons brings up a diagram of the real remote that doesn't come with the Q70r.

I don't use the smart remote so perhaps someone else can chime in how to access it.

I bought one similar to this, mostly to switch HDMI easier, but having the info button is nice as well

2561 - 2580 of 2591 Posts