AVS Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2084 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the Q80r download link is back up on the support page. At least I saw it there last time I checked. It had been missing for quite some time. It isn’t newer than 1372.2 though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yea, I already have 1372,2. I wonder if this is only for the one connect box.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi All, I've had my 75" Q80R for about a month now and think I've got it dialed in pretty well. I'm just seeing something that's pretty troubling/distracting, and was curious if others had experienced it as well. I guess the best way to describe it is "shadow dancing". I've seen it mostly when viewing dark or nighttime scenes on Netflix shows...most recently The Haunting of Bly Manor and The Wilds. I took a couple videos last night that shows what I'm talking about.

Watch starting at :10 of this video
Shadow Dancing 1 - YouTube

Watch starting at :06 of this video (the area behind her)
Shadow Dancing 2 - YouTube

It's more pronounced in person than you can see in my phone videos. Help?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi All, I've had my 75" Q80R for about a month now and think I've got it dialed in pretty well. I'm just seeing something that's pretty troubling/distracting, and was curious if others had experienced it as well. I guess the best way to describe it is "shadow dancing". I've seen it mostly when viewing dark or nighttime scenes on Netflix shows...most recently The Haunting of Bly Manor and The Wilds. I took a couple videos last night that shows what I'm talking about.

maybe something with the local dimming?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sam just to recapitulate. You say you have audio from the TVs DD+ setting, right? And you have your tv connected to what?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have it connected hdmi 4 from tv to arc hdmi on denon 3400

·
Registered
11 Posts

I have the same issue. I didn't really notice it prior to firmware 137x I believe. It's very distracting and becomes more pronounced the dimmer the screen.

I hope they fix it in a future FW update. Otherwise only option is to disable global dimming.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts

I haven't noticed. But can you give me an episode and a time frame so I can dial in on it by going directly to the source content?

-T

·
Registered
220 Posts
I haven't noticed. But can you give me an episode and a time frame so I can dial in on it by going directly to the source content?

-T
Sure...check out The Wilds (Amazon), season 1, episode 4, 32:48 through the end of that scene. I'm watching it during the day now and it's not as pronounced, but it was happening before there pretty significantly - it was one of my videos above. Look at the area to the left of the girl in the passenger seat (the sky behind her).

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I noticed several weeks ago that when I play my Blu-ray rips through Plex to my Q80R, DTS - HD master audio direct plays. I don't rip the core track. Just the HD audio since I ran into some trouble years ago with different file formats. But today everything is mkv.

For example, Moana has DTS HD master audio 7.1... it passes through to tv.

so there's no transcoding going on with the audio. TrueHD, on the other hand, transcodes to AAC.

Did the Q80R always accept DTS HD master audio? Or did an update along the way enable that? Mentioning it since there was talk of eARC being implemented but it's not implemented yet. So I'm thinking maybe Samsung is going to allow true HD to pass through into the display one day and then they'll be ready to send it out HDMI 4 via eARC? Just speculating.

-T

·
Registered
342 Posts
I noticed several weeks ago that when I play my Blu-ray rips through Plex to my Q80R, DTS - HD master audio direct plays. I don't rip the core track. Just the HD audio since I ran into some trouble years ago with different file formats. But today everything is mkv.

For example, Moana has DTS HD master audio 7.1... it passes through to tv.

so there's no transcoding going on with the audio. TrueHD, on the other hand, transcodes to AAC.

Did the Q80R always accept DTS HD master audio? Or did an update along the way enable that? Mentioning it since there was talk of eARC being implemented but it's not implemented yet. So I'm thinking maybe Samsung is going to allow true HD to pass through into the display one day and then they'll be ready to send it out HDMI 4 via eARC? Just speculating.

-T
Man I can't even get the TV to pass DD+ to my Denon X6400H. Is making me crazzy that others say the can.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the same issue with my Q90R. Had to use an optical cable and give up on DD+

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
I do get normal DD from the ARC port, but that's it. Some fellow posters have been able to make it work. What I don't get is why it does not always work for people with the same equipment. I mean other users have receivers from the same line and year as mine and have reported that it works for them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have an older 2113 receiver which decodes DD+ just fine over HDMI. It just doesn't work over ARC with the internal apps on my Samsung TV

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
Please take this to the Denon threads, it’s off topic and we can’t help with it here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
maybe something with the local dimming?
I tried setting it in HDR from High to Low for local dimming and still was seeing the issue. Going to call support today as I have a few weeks left in my return window. It's so bad...really distracting when watching content that should look perfect. Not to mention, part of the appeal of this TV is the local dimming, so if I had to turn it off it'd be hard to justify keeping it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have developed a white issue in the middle of my screen, goes from the Samsung logo on tv to the top.
The issue is it is only noticeable sometimes, like hockey game, blue sky in golf and couple other things.
It would be hard for me to get screen shots of this.
It all depends on the background, just wondering if this would warrant a warranty call to my av shop as the 2nd year warranty is handled by them. Thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I just got my Q80R in, and gsync does work on the latest firmware with my 2080 Super.
i don’t know what these are you’re supposed to use to mount it though and I didn’t get any I n the box, none of the mounts I’m looking at have it either.

The thing labeled wall mount adapter. Can anyone link me somewhere I can buy those by themselves?

2041 - 2060 of 2084 Posts