AVS Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2084 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
So I just got my Q80R in, and gsync does work on the latest firmware with my 2080 Super.
i don’t know what these are you’re supposed to use to mount it though and I didn’t get any I n the box, none of the mounts I’m looking at have it either.

The thing labeled wall mount adapter. Can anyone link me somewhere I can buy those by themselves?
I’m not sure what your asking. The tv doesn’t come with bolts to mount it. It comes with 4 plastic spacers. I think this is what you are talking about. They call them adapters that were in the same bag that the remote was in. The wall mount itself should come with hardware. Which for my 55” it was the M8 bolts that I made sure matched the length spec in the manual.
I think some models came with a different style spacer that went into the back of the tv to take up the space before the threaded part starts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m not sure what your asking. The tv doesn’t come with bolts to mount it. It comes with 4 plastic spacers. I think this is what you are talking about. They call them adapters that were in the same bag that the remote was in. The wall mount itself should come with hardware. Which for my 55” it was the M8 bolts that I made sure matched the length spec in the manual.
I think some models came with a different style spacer that went into the back of the tv to take up the space before the threaded part starts
Yeah mine didn’t come with the plastic spacers. I ordered the right length bolts from amazon, but I can’t find anywhere that has the spacers like the picture with the flared base.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah mine didn’t come with the plastic spacers. I ordered the right length bolts from amazon, but I can’t find anywhere that has the spacers like the picture with the flared base.
IIRC the back of the tv doesn’t have the same recessed area like the image to left of diagram. It’s just a hole slightly larger than the M8 bolt. The spacers that come with are just normal plastic 1/8” thick washers that normally come with a wall mount hardware and spacer kit. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
51 Posts
From what I can see it looks similar to mine slightly darker around the edges. It's hard to un see things like DSE so I'd suggest not going out of your way in search of issues. I think they do suffer from uniformity and dirty screen effect based on what I saw on rtings and other youtube reviews as well as my panel. If you don't notice it during normal usage then I would just enjoy the tv.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks ok to me. This model tends to have DSE in the corners, and mine does but it's not bad enough that I would deal with getting something different.
yeah I’ve decided I’m going to keep it because it’s otherwise a pretty clean panel and the tv itself works well.

one thing I can’t figure out, how do I make local dimming stronger in game mode? Or at all? I have it set to high, and using both game mode and non game mode I can’t tell much of a difference with Ghost of Tsushima (the game I’m playing at the moment). Is it because I’m playing in a brightly lit (overhead light and two windows at a 90 degree angle from the tv) room?

·
Registered
220 Posts
yeah I’ve decided I’m going to keep it because it’s otherwise a pretty clean panel and the tv itself works well.

one thing I can’t figure out, how do I make local dimming stronger in game mode? Or at all? I have it set to high, and using both game mode and non game mode I can’t tell much of a difference with Ghost of Tsushima (the game I’m playing at the moment). Is it because I’m playing in a brightly lit (overhead light and two windows at a 90 degree angle from the tv) room?
I'm not a gamer so not sure about that, but it sounds like the issue is more with your backlight/brightness/contrast settings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not a gamer so not sure about that, but it sounds like the issue is more with your backlight/brightness/contrast settings.
I’ve heard the Q80R disables LD in game mode so I assumed it was that

backlight is 25, contrast 45 as recommended by rtings, brightness 0

·
Registered
220 Posts
I’ve heard the Q80R disables LD in game mode so I assumed it was that

backlight is 25, contrast 45 as recommended by rtings, brightness 0
I started with the Rtings settings and it was just WAY too dark and yellow for me. Found another set of settings in this thread that I worked from and it's been so much better for me.

Too late in the evening to pull all the color space and white balance numbers I used, but maybe give these settings a try to start, and see if you like it better.

Picture mode: Standard
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 3
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 7
Color: 32
Tint: 0
Apply: All sources
Digital clean view: Auto
Auto motion plus: Off
Local dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Tone: Warm 1
Gamma: 2.2

·
Registered
19 Posts
I started with the Rtings settings and it was just WAY too dark and yellow for me. Found another set of settings in this thread that I worked from and it's been so much better for me.

Too late in the evening to pull all the color space and white balance numbers I used, but maybe give these settings a try to start, and see if you like it better.

Picture mode: Standard
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 3
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 7
Color: 32
Tint: 0
Apply: All sources
Digital clean view: Auto
Auto motion plus: Off
Local dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Tone: Warm 1
Gamma: 2.2
Thanks for the settings but a lot of them are locked out in game/pc mode (which I use because otherwise the input lag is super super noticeable to me). I’ll try adjusting the ones I can though!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just installed the 1374.0 firmware update via OTA on my Q80R. I'm in NYC. So far, I have not noticed any differences.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Maybe I'm just getting to the point in time where out of the box is good enough :)

I spent a lot of time dialing in the colors on my projectelir. Light controlled room.

When it comes to the Q80R, My 75-in in my well-lit family room. I think the natural mode is the best for colors out of the box. I set the intelligent display so that the panel brightens and dims based on ambient room lighting. Automotion plus set to the same settings that are defaulted in the cinema mode's automotion plus settings. Tone set the warm2.

I just love the vibrancy. It looks so alive. Just sharing.

-T

·
Registered
181 Posts
HDR

How do you know if a Q80R is playing 4K HDR when it's streaming (in this case a 4K HDR video on YouTube)?

When I stream through my 4K Blu-ray player, I can check the input on the Q80R and it will show 4K UHD HDR.

I'm wondering if I even need a Blu-ray player to stream from if the Q80R streams 4K HDR by itself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
HDR

How do you know if a Q80R is playing 4K HDR when it's streaming (in this case a 4K HDR video on YouTube)?

When I stream through my 4K Blu-ray player, I can check the input on the Q80R and it will show 4K UHD HDR.

I'm wondering if I even need a Blu-ray player to stream from if the Q80R streams 4K HDR by itself.

Thanks!
Yes it does stream by itself.
You go to settings and see if the HDR icon is activated. It will say if it is HDR or HDR+.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't see anywhere in Settings that says that. Do you have a Q80R that you can tell me exactly how to get there? I ask because I know the older Samsungs had a different Settings setup and maybe you can check that on those older TVs.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I don't see anywhere in Settings that says that. Do you have a Q80R that you can tell me exactly how to get there? I ask because I know the older Samsungs had a different Settings setup and maybe you can check that on those older TVs.
I can help. This is very confusing for the TV.

While content is playing, hit the home button on your Samsung remote to show the hub.

Navigate along the hub until you get to the settings app (there's a gear and it says settings).

When settings in the hub is highlighted, there's a row that appears on the screen that shows the picture mode the sound mode etc.

On the picture mode section, if you have HDR content, they'll be a badge with the letters HDR (or HDR+) on it on top of that icon for the picture mode.

-T

2061 - 2080 of 2084 Posts