AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree, the shadowing is awful. Has Samsung Support suggested a treat?
I received an email from samsung for replacing the full LCD panel but even the repairman says he does not understand why he does not replace the tv , is brand new.
I will contact the seller again.
Probably they do not have any more stock TV because of the black Fridays

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just ordered the 82" Q80R. Earlier this week, I ordered a refurbished Sony 900f, but quickly had buyer's remorse upon hearing of all the DV issues with Apple TV and the limited number of HDMI inputs - only two offer HDR. Also, I wasn't thrilled about unboxing a TV that might have issues out of the box and I'd always be looking for something to go wrong.

I'm hoping Costco will sell me a Square Trade warranty, even if purchased from eBay. I've heard you have to go in-store to purchase. If anyone has insight, I'd appreciate it.

Super excited to get my set. Going to schedule Best Buy to wall mount. It will be replacing the Samsung 75" JU7100, which was released in 2015.

I'd welcome any tips, suggestions on getting the most from the Q80.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I just ordered the 82" Q80R. Earlier this week, I ordered a refurbished Sony 900f, but quickly had buyer's remorse upon hearing of all the DV issues with Apple TV and the limited number of HDMI inputs - only two offer HDR. Also, I wasn't thrilled about unboxing a TV that might have issues out of the box and I'd always be looking for something to go wrong.

I'm hoping Costco will sell me a Square Trade warranty, even if purchased from eBay. I've heard you have to go in-store to purchase. If anyone has insight, I'd appreciate it.

Super excited to get my set. Going to schedule Best Buy to wall mount. It will be replacing the Samsung 75" JU7100, which was released in 2015.

I'd welcome any tips, suggestions on getting the most from the Q80.
I don’t think Costco sells the ST warranties independently but not 100% sure. You can always direct buy at their website. I’ve claimed a TV under ST and now Asurian via DirecTV coverage program. With ST they were very good on replacing the TV with better than what I had but only a TV. Asurian offered one current model TV 5” larger but said it “could” be a refurb. I had doubt but the awful reviews really scared me. It was a low end 2019 Samsung of 75” vs my Samsung 70” KU6300. So technically a decent choice but I wasn’t liking going into a TV with bad reviews. I called and the agent offered me a buyout. The TV they offered Was a grand on Amazon and she offered a check for 986. I took that and shopped and got the Q80R 65”.
Bottom line is I’d consider Asurian. I would have taken a reasonable cash buy out from ST if I could have. YMMV, it could be because I’m getting it via my DirecTV contract and not Asurian. I don’t know. Just know what just happened.
BTW I still love ST they’ve saved my a$$ more than once.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
As I still have the box and tape I took some pictures of the long rectangle pieces and crumpled up screen protector.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,832 Posts
Returned my Sony OLED for a Samsung Q80

So.... I did a ton of research to upgrade my TV and decided to buy a 65" Sony A8G OLED.

I had it installed, mounted etc.
The picture was absolutely fantastic, but a few things just didn't sit well with me.

#1- The brightness. This TV just didn't get very bright, even after calibration, I just didn't like how dark it was. I know this is an issue with OLEDs. I have a decently bright room, with 7 windows, and the sun rises into those windows and stays that way for most of the day. The reflections were pretty noticeable, and even in vivid mode it seemed dark.

#2- With almost all 4k coming in widescreen with black bars, the images I was watching were just too small for my liking. It looked beautiful don't get me wrong, but it was smaller than I wanted, and was not as bright as I desired. This made me think that getting a bigger screen would help combat the black bars.

These two things were essentially deal breakers for, and for the price of the TV, I wanted to be a bit happier with my purchase.

I went to Best Buy and explained all of my reasons, and the salesman directed me to the Samsung Q80 in the 75" version. He convinced me to buy it, based on my concerns.

My big question is, how steep of a drop off is this TV from a 65" Sony Ag8 OLED? I know the picture quality will take a hit, but how big of an decrease am I looking at? Is it worth gaining a bigger, brighter TV, with less picture quality? Is the few hundred extra dollars for the 75"Q80 worth it? How's the motion difference? I will be 100% streaming on this TV with some minor Xbox games occasionally.

I really don't want to get this Samsung Q80R delivered and set up, only to decide I missed the picture quality of the Sony. It's being delivered in a week, so I have some time to make a decision.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Just put up my 75" Q80 yesterday. So no help on the settings, but had to respond to your post, because your screen name made me laugh. :)

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Returned my Sony OLED for a Samsung Q80

So.... I did a ton of research to upgrade my TV and decided to buy a 65" Sony A8G OLED.

I had it installed, mounted etc.
The picture was absolutely fantastic, but a few things just didn't sit well with me.

#1- The brightness. This TV just didn't get very bright, even after calibration, I just didn't like how dark it was. I know this is an issue with OLEDs. I have a decently bright room, with 7 windows, and the sun rises into those windows and stays that way for most of the day. The reflections were pretty noticeable, and even in vivid mode it seemed dark.

#2- With almost all 4k coming in widescreen with black bars, the images I was watching were just too small for my liking. It looked beautiful don't get me wrong, but it was smaller than I wanted, and was not as bright as I desired. This made me think that getting a bigger screen would help combat the black bars.

These two things were essentially deal breakers for, and for the price of the TV, I wanted to be a bit happier with my purchase.

I went to Best Buy and explained all of my reasons, and the salesman directed me to the Samsung Q80 in the 75" version. He convinced me to buy it, based on my concerns.

My big question is, how steep of a drop off is this TV from a 65" Sony Ag8 OLED? I know the picture quality will take a hit, but how big of an decrease am I looking at? Is it worth gaining a bigger, brighter TV, with less picture quality? Is the few hundred extra dollars for the 75"Q80 worth it? How's the motion difference? I will be 100% streaming on this TV with some minor Xbox games occasionally.

I really don't want to get this Samsung Q80R delivered and set up, only to decide I missed the picture quality of the Sony. It's being delivered in a week, so I have some time to make a decision.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Well, I've got the LG c8 65 and the c8 77 as well as the Q80.
Now, they are all great. I wouldn't say the Q80 is as good as the OLED pq wise BUT it's also now all that far behind. The only really gripe I have with the Q80 is the smearing with fast moving picture (eg video games) that you don't get with the OLED... But it's a VA panel, so it's just the way it is, they ALL do the same thing.
It's WAY brighter, HDR looks stunning, the SDE is noticeable if you specifically look for it at times but the price is great vs the 77 OLED lol.

I don't think you will be disappointed at all. I'm a picky guy when it comes to video and I took back my Sony 950 x 75" because of horrific blooming (the Q80 does have it a bit but it's quite decent IMO) I'd use the 77 OLED in my living room and the Q80 in the basement beside my theater for video games. I find myself goijg to the basement to watch movies in HDR because it's so good!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Use a small flashlight, like the flashlight from your phone, and point it at the screen. Does the light bounce back fairly straight and is still mostly white? That's the protective film. Does the light spread out and seem more brown, with a rainbow shimmer effect on the outside edges of the light? That's the anti-glare and wide angle dispersion.

Yeah, no film on this set. Odd that they would put it on every size but the 82", go figure.

You do realize the Q80R, or any Samsung for that matter, doesn't support DV at all right? HDR10+ is Samsung's horse

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah, no film on this set. Odd that they would put it on every size but the 82", go figure.

You do realize the Q80R, or any Samsung for that matter, doesn't support DV at all right? HDR10+ is Samsung's horse
Yes, just figured I'd be happier with a good HDR implementation that works with ATV, rather than being forced into a poor DV experience on the 900f. The only workaround on that particular set is to use a streaming player that doesn't support DV, which would mean no ATV. When you consider my soundbar takes 1 of the 2 ports that support HDR, that would render my ATV less useful. The Q80R lets me use the ATV, Shield, Xbox and enjoy HDR on all of them. Without a direct comparison to DV, I'm certain the set will wow my family.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just updated my Q80R to firmware version 1335.0 via the Software Update option in the TV settings. Have not found anything new yet. The Samsung Support page for the Q80R series does not show details about firmware updates or a download firmware option. I saw in the Q90R support page that there was a 1335.0 update and so I assumed (as in the past) that the same would be available for the Q80R. No details on what's new and improved with this release as the page only shows the same old canned details for all the firmware releases. Maybe someone else can shine a light on what they see as new or improved. The firmware release number did not go up by much, so I doubt there's anything like eARC support included with this update.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just updated my Q80R to firmware version 1335.0 via the Software Update option in the TV settings. Have not found anything new yet. The Samsung Support page for the Q80R series does not show details about firmware updates or a download firmware option. I saw in the Q90R support page that there was a 1335.0 update and so I assumed (as in the past) that the same would be available for the Q80R. No details on what's new and improved with this release as the page only shows the same old canned details for all the firmware releases. Maybe someone else can shine a light on what they see as new or improved. The firmware release number did not go up by much, so I doubt there's anything like eARC support included with this update.
Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has updated to this F/W. Any new issues? Any benefits? Any loss of custom picture settings? Have a small niggle with TV telling me my LAN cable is unplugged every now and then (not too often) even though it isn't and I'm streaming a 4k source at the time...want to update to latest F/W but don't want to introduce any new problems...

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has updated to this F/W. Any new issues? Any benefits? Any loss of custom picture settings? Have a small niggle with TV telling me my LAN cable is unplugged every now and then (not too often) even though it isn't and I'm streaming a 4k source at the time...want to update to latest F/W but don't want to introduce any new problems...
Just to be sure, have you swapped out the Ethernet cable? I would. It could be a faulty port on the set. That would be bad, IMHO, as I use wired too. No errors on mine.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just to be sure, have you swapped out the Ethernet cable? I would. It could be a faulty port on the set. That would be bad, IMHO, as I use wired too. No errors on mine.

This and could also be the port being plugged in on the other end as well, whether it be a switch or router. Doesn't necessarily have to be the TV port if the cable is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got a deal on the Q80 and was wondering if I will notice a difference from NU 6900 that I bought early last year so I could play Red Dead 2 in 4K. Going to move that TV in the bedroom now and use this one in the living room.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I feel very proud, I’ve caught up with the forum on Black Friday. Almost a week with the 65Q80R and I’m still loving it and haven’t seen any major issues and just keep playing with settings for perfect nirvana. Next up is Wildgator’s.

I have seen some videos that show off the TV shared but not this one. To me it’s one of the most beautiful looking and works for a daytime demo. It’s not going after showing off the blacks as showing off color. That it does. If you get a neon effect on the colors you have work to do, if your jaw drops and you are visually stunned, you’re closer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Q70 vs Q80 for old black and white TV shows and films

Q70 vs Q80 for old black and white TV shows and films (original star trek and westerns)

I did go to Rtings ad my assessment was Q70 would be a better bet. but I may of misunderstood the charts

I never game.
occasionally will watch a new SCi- FI film.

TV will be on 12-16 hours a day mostly with either CNN/FOX.

I have posted this on the OLED but ruled out OLEAD.

I am down to just Samsung.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
1) Is it possible the Samsung TV is not up scaling the content because the Fire TV is always putting out a 4k signal regardless of what app is opened on the Fire TV?   I checked input information on the TV itself, and it's receiving a 4k signal from the Fire TV
2) I did change the output of my Fire TV to 1080p just to test, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Thoughts and guesses as to why the Fire TV Cube content transmitted in less than 4k (such as 720 or 1080) isn't being up scaled correctly compared to the built in Samsung TV apps? Does the Samsung TV only do up scaling with its built in apps?
The TV is a fixed-pixel display. That means it always displays at 4K, so any material that isn't native 4K must be upscaled by either the playback source or the display itself. All upscaling devices don't have the same quality, and some are better with certain media (such as interlaced) than others.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I feel very proud, I’ve caught up with the forum on Black Friday. Almost a week with the 65Q80R and I’m still loving it and haven’t seen any major issues and just keep playing with settings for perfect nirvana. Next up is Wildgator’s.

I have seen some videos that show off the TV shared but not this one. To me it’s one of the most beautiful looking and works for a daytime demo. It’s not going after showing off the blacks as showing off color. That it does. If you get a neon effect on the colors you have work to do, if your jaw drops and you are visually stunned, you’re closer.

https://youtu.be/u3APNJYMrLo
I just watched this on my firestick 4k and I would say the colors are suppose to be neon.
Everything in the background looked fine as well.

Reactions: joe221
1141 - 1160 of 1914 Posts