AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1912 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, I've got the LG c8 65 and the c8 77 as well as the Q80.
Now, they are all great. I wouldn't say the Q80 is as good as the OLED pq wise BUT it's also now all that far behind. The only really gripe I have with the Q80 is the smearing with fast moving picture (eg video games) that you don't get with the OLED... But it's a VA panel, so it's just the way it is, they ALL do the same thing.
It's WAY brighter, HDR looks stunning, the SDE is noticeable if you specifically look for it at times but the price is great vs the 77 OLED lol.

I don't think you will be disappointed at all. I'm a picky guy when it comes to video and I took back my Sony 950 x 75" because of horrific blooming (the Q80 does have it a bit but it's quite decent IMO) I'd use the 77 OLED in my living room and the Q80 in the basement beside my theater for video games. I find myself goijg to the basement to watch movies in HDR because it's so good!
For someone who owns a 65-inch LG B8, which I love and just ordered the Q80, I was thrilled to see your comments regarding the quality vs the OLED. Also had purchased a 900F before cancelling and going with the 80R.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I feel very proud, I’️ve caught up with the forum on Black Friday. Almost a week with the 65Q80R and I’️m still loving it and haven’️t seen any major issues and just keep playing with settings for perfect nirvana. Next up is Wildgator’️s.

I have seen some videos that show off the TV shared but not this one. To me it’️s one of the most beautiful looking and works for a daytime demo. It’️s not going after showing off the blacks as showing off color. That it does. If you get a neon effect on the colors you have work to do, if your jaw drops and you are visually stunned, you’️re closer.

Yes, that video is a very good video to test the color "pop" on the television.

This is a good one for checking Black in my opinion. https://youtu.be/RvJofD0QjSo

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I just watched this on my firestick 4k and I would say the colors are suppose to be neon.
Everything in the background looked fine as well.
When I say “neon” I mean the colors glow with a haze around them. Like a neon bulb. Nope, that needs more adjusting of the screen. The colors being bright and smooth is correct, it just looks better. The colors pop but shouldn’t bloom. They are some of the most vivid man made colors I’ve seen in a natural setting with the background being totally natural.
I’ll double check whose settings I’m using for the best result an post them in an edit here.

ETA:
The settings I like best right now, are from the OP, Bruce. While still not perfect it’s what I use most of the time. The Navajo war dress looks amazing.

Picture Mode: Stamdard
Backlight: 28
Brightness: - 2
Contrast: 38
Sharpness: 8
Color: 25
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Auto
AMP: Off
Local Dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Color Tone: Standard
Gamma: BT.1886
Color Space: Auto

Simple and beautiful.

Also I take back on now closer inspection. There is some neon but I tried a setting in my trials where it was Neon on every color and looked awful. This is just a touch and I’m sure can be calibrated to perfection. I still am on the hunt but may have it ISF calibrated in the near future. Here’s a screen shot in my not too dark room. Cloudy and all room lights off with most blinds drawn.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,901 Posts

This is a good one for checking Black in my opinion. https://youtu.be/RvJofD0QjSo
I will check that out tonight! Thanks, I’m just overwhelmed how much better this set looks then my failed 70” KU6300 I know 8bit etc, it’s just Wow!
The built in demos from Samsung also show the hell out of the blacks! I’m amazed how black the blacks are in my dark as I can get it, living room. I see you power LEDs in my HT rack! Grrrr. Yes I have them covered with a filter but let some of the light through.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Just got a deal on the Q80 and was wondering if I will notice a difference from NU 6900 that I bought early last year so I could play Red Dead 2 in 4K. Going to move that TV in the bedroom now and use this one in the living room.
Coming from a lesser Samsung to this, I’m going to say, yes. To me it was dramatic but mine was an 8bit panel so even more dramatic.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts

Wild,
I installed your movie settings and I put my set on a DirecTV 4K channel to add the HDR settings. What happened was they weren’t there but HLG slider and settings were. I found the results “off” to my eye as I tried to do the best to emulate. Another thing I’m wondering is, is it important to mention which panel you have when listing a calibration settings? I have a Samsung FC04, would a setting from one of the AA or such series be a huge difference or are they built to such a close spec, they’d be OK? Also I get panel to panel there’s some play in the look. I’m just wondering out load if it’s the source that’s a major contributor to the issue?
Thank you for your work, too!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have been on 1335 for weeks. No positive or negative that I have witnessed. Picture looks the same and settings were retained.
Are you sure you've been on 1335.0 for weeks and not on 1315.5? The Q90R support page has the release date for 1335.0 as November 26 2019. See screenshot below. If you had it for weeks... where did you get it from? I monitor the Samsung Q80R and Q90R USA support pages regularly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have been on 1335 for weeks. No positive or negative that I have witnessed. Picture looks the same and settings were retained.
Are you sure you've been on 1335.0 for weeks and not on 1315.5? The Q90R support page has the release date for 1335.0 as November 26 2019. See screenshot below. If you had it for weeks... where did you get it from? I monitor the Samsung Q80R and Q90R USA support pages regularly.
You could very well be right but I have not seen any notification of firmware update. Normally I would at least get a notification but guess the wife might have dismissed it.

Anywho, no difference noticed by me.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I found it easier to get at the protective film at the bottom of the screen. Big difference after it's removed.
Glad you can enjoy a glare free experience now. I think we still have some with it on, out there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I hadn't watched a YouTube video about unpacking I wouldn't have know to remove it. The picture wasn't too bad with it on, but there was glare.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I say “neon” I mean the colors glow with a haze around them. Like a neon bulb. Nope, that needs more adjusting of the screen. The colors being bright and smooth is correct, it just looks better. The colors pop but shouldn’t bloom. They are some of the most vivid man made colors I’ve seen in a natural setting with the background being totally natural.
I’ll double check whose settings I’m using for the best result an post them in an edit here.

Now I get it, I have no haze around the colors and there is no blooming. They just pop.

That is one thing I love so far about this tv, I have little to no blooming, especially white type on black background.
Although my settings are quite different, I am in movie mode and warm1.

Reactions: joe221

·
Registered
3,901 Posts

Now I get it, I have no haze around the colors and there is no blooming. They just pop.

That is one thing I love so far about this tv, I have little to no blooming, especially white type on black background.
Although my settings are quite different, I am in movie mode and warm1.
That’s what I mean! They just pop, no blooming or smearing. I’m close but not on the money yet with testing different settings. I’m thinking it’s that panel to panel thing. I just talked to my bro and his wife. They just got a new Sammy RU7300 curved 55”. Put it in a room with windows to both sides of the screen. We were talking about the four modes and they LOVE Dynamic! Every one gets a mode they love! (I wanted to cry)

·
Registered
771 Posts

ETA:
The settings I like best right now, are from the OP, Bruce. While still not perfect it’s what I use most of the time. The Navajo war dress looks amazing.

Picture Mode: Stamdard
Backlight: 28
Brightness: - 2
Contrast: 38
Sharpness: 8
Color: 25
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Auto
AMP: Off
Local Dimming: High
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Color Tone: Standard
Gamma: BT.1886
Color Space: Auto

Simple and beautiful.

Also I take back on now closer inspection. There is some neon but I tried a setting in my trials where it was Neon on every color and looked awful. This is just a touch and I’m sure can be calibrated to perfection. I still am on the hunt but may have it ISF calibrated in the near future. Here’s a screen shot in my not too dark room. Cloudy and all room lights off with most blinds drawn.
If you’re seeing color over saturation I would recommend a few changes. First try Movie mode as for colors it’s more accurate. Change your brightness to at least positive 2, these TVs crush blacks out of the box and all your doing with this setting is lowering the black levels more and losing shadow detail, contrast affects white levels and should be around 45. Turn sharpness to zero, this is edge enhancement for older content, it adds more defined outlines but washes out detail. Try turning down Local Dimming in SDR to Standard, I find it over brightens SDR and clips whites for me. Try Color Tone Warm2 for more color accuracy, or Warm1 if you find it too red. For SDR Gamma should be 2.2 as it’s more accurate for this model.

HDR is a bit different, the TV controls backlight and contrast per the content, so max both of these at 50. Turn Digital Clean View off for HDR, it cleans up older content, but again is extra processing that will make you lose detail in 4K content. Local Dimming should be High in HDR for peak brightness and Gamma should be ST.2084.

I honestly found the demo you linked very unimpressive, try watching some videos on the HDR Channel on YouTube. They have some very well mastered stuff, with more natural looking colors to get a real idea of what your colors are doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could anyone tell me if I will have any issues using this TV with a 2 channel DAC connected to the TV's optical out? I mostly use streaming apps and occasionally a 4k Blu-Ray player via HDMI to the TV. I am considering upgrading to this TV from a Sony X900E due to its picture quality and ability to handle glare in my living room large windows.

The Sony has a setting that converts DTS, DD or even FLAC to PCM out to the TV's optical out. Can the Samsung do the same? Will there be any sound quality issues (I believe that my Sony's Netflix app outputs a lesser quality stereo audio stream and I cannot select the higher quality DD+ streams like I can with my Chromecast Ultra)?
Thanks for any help before I take the plunge!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Q70 vs Q80 for old black and white TV shows and films (original star trek and westerns)

I did go to Rtings ad my assessment was Q70 would be a better bet. but I may of misunderstood the charts
I received my new 65 inch Q80R yesterday. Keep in mind the off-axis angle viewing with the Q70R is not good. With the 80R it is amazing. I have a chair that is around 70 degrees angle off to the side. Almost looking a the 80R screen from the side and it looks just as good to me as looking straight on. Just as fantastic as with the LG B9 OLED I looked at. With the Q70 I looked at the image was mostly gone and washed out that far to the side. Do a search for rtings Q80R video review. They explain the optical coating on the Q80 and Q90 that gives them the wide angle viewing the Q70 doesn't have.

So - along with any other Q70 vs Q80 factors - this one is a "hard stop" on the Q70 (was with me) if you have a need for extreme angle viewing, completely independent of what type of shows you are watching.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I received an email from samsung for replacing the full LCD panel but even the repairman says he does not understand why he does not replace the tv , is brand new.
I will contact the seller again.
Probably they do not have any more stock TV because of the black Fridays
I had my Q80R replaced for a new one.
It is not perfect, but a big improvement. There is only a small section at the top left that has a small color change.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
If you’re seeing color over saturation I would recommend a few changes. First try Movie mode as for colors it’s more accurate. Change your brightness to at least positive 2, these TVs crush blacks out of the box and all your doing with this setting is lowering the black levels more and losing shadow detail, contrast affects white levels and should be around 45. Turn sharpness to zero, this is edge enhancement for older content, it adds more defined outlines but washes out detail. Try turning down Local Dimming in SDR to Standard, I find it over brightens SDR and clips whites for me. Try Color Tone Warm2 for more color accuracy, or Warm1 if you find it too red. For SDR Gamma should be 2.2 as it’s more accurate for this model.

HDR is a bit different, the TV controls backlight and contrast per the content, so max both of these at 50. Turn Digital Clean View off for HDR, it cleans up older content, but again is extra processing that will make you lose detail in 4K content. Local Dimming should be High in HDR for peak brightness and Gamma should be ST.2084.

I honestly found the demo you linked very unimpressive, try watching some videos on the HDR Channel on YouTube. They have some very well mastered stuff, with more natural looking colors to get a real idea of what your colors are doing.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be playing with them. As for the Navajo demo, I find it great for daytime bright room viewing. Most of the great demos need a dark room to show off. I do subscribe to that and other HDR channels. Awesome stuff.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be playing with them. As for the Navajo demo, I find it great for daytime bright room viewing. Most of the great demos need a dark room to show off. I do subscribe to that and other HDR channels. Awesome stuff.
The Navajo demo was pretty for sure, but it’s impossible to get a true reference for what the colors are supposed to look like. My point was don’t use it as a test for your calibration.

1161 - 1180 of 1912 Posts