AVS Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1931 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
My Q80R has updated itself to 1335 today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this is WAY after you posted it. (have a Q80R arriving today and am trying to read this thread from the beginning).

I bought a Samsung JS850D, Costco's version of the 8500 with a Square Trade warranty in Nov 2015. Started noticing light bleed issues, which I assumed were normal, then a white "cloud" on the screen and called ST. They asked me to send photos and immediately denied my claim. They were a royal pain in the arse and tried to blow me off 4 or 5 times refusing to let me speak to someone. I persisted, got them to send out a tech who immediately said their diagnosis of physical damage was crap, called and gave them the info. They approved a replacement the next day and offered me a Q60R. I declined. Then they offered a Q7FN and I again declined, asking for the Q90 (which I knew I wouldn't get). They finally agreed on a "one-time exception" of a Q80R, which will be here this afternoon.

Overall, dealing with the was a pain and really ticked me off. I eventually got what I wanted but still asked to speak to a supervisor. Got a call, they apologized and refunded me the $89.99 I paid at Costco for the warranty (still waiting on that check though). Others have not experienced such issues, but they will try to low ball you with a replacement TV offer, which I believe is their norm rather than replacing panels. If you don't mind fighting a bit and negotiating, then $99 is a good deal. I can't complain that I am getting a brand new Q80R almost 4 years to the date I received the JS850D.
So how does a big TV actually get lost? Got a call at 2:30 (12-3 delivery window) saying they were on the way. Five minutes later, got a call from the same guy (driver) saying he called by mistake and that they couldn't find my TV this morning and it wasn't loaded onto the truck. Called the office and they called back 30 minutes later saying it was not found yesterday when they staged orders for today's truck. But no one bothered to let the office know or they would have called. So now they have to contact Amazon to get them to send another TV. How in the hell does that happen???

·
Registered
13 Posts
This and could also be the port being plugged in on the other end as well, whether it be a switch or router. Doesn't necessarily have to be the TV port if the cable is fine.
So I swapped out my ethernet cable to new cat6 and upgraded FW. Saw the message once after reboot but not since and it's been a couple of days. I saw quite a few Q90 owners in the AVS forum who report the same behaviour.

Also saw one guy who claimed he had it and it was fixed with new PCB for his OCB. Another who said it went after he replaced his switch. So not really sure what the issue is/was but hopefully it's resolved. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What is in the new update? Mine just did it today

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nevermind

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
So I upgraded from a LN46B750 to a 55" Q80. Well first impression is not really that big of improvement in picture. Maybe because it is blowing up a image from my Dish box even bigger and you can see more distortion in the signal. This that look like compression artifacts around text on the screen.

But my really big complaint is the very annoying rainbow looking reflection on the screen. Is this caused by the great anti reflective coating? Yes the old TV had a reflection but the new one is too distracting to even watch. When the TV is off it is really bad.

Wish I had bought it in a store so it was easy to return. I will post some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
So I upgraded from a LN46B750 to a 55" Q80. Well first impression is not really that big of improvement in picture. Maybe because it is blowing up a image from my Dish box even bigger and you can see more distortion in the signal. This that look like compression artifacts around text on the screen.

But my really big complaint is the very annoying rainbow looking reflection on the screen. Is this caused by the great anti reflective coating? Yes the old TV had a reflection but the new one is too distracting to even watch. When the TV is off it is really bad.

Wish I had bought it in a store so it was easy to return. I will post some pictures.
Carefully remove the protective cover from the screen. If you can shine a flashlight at the screen and get massive reflection, instead of a dulled light, remove the sheet.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Carefully remove the protective cover from the screen. If you can shine a flashlight at the screen and get massive reflection, instead of a dulled light, remove the sheet.
One protective film came off when I took the side protectors off, it was a clear sheet over the entire screen. Are you saying that their is another one under the one that came off?

·
Registered
772 Posts
One protective film came off when I took the side protectors off, it was a clear sheet over the entire screen. Are you saying that their is another one under the one that came off?
No there's only one protective layer, he was assuming you hadn't removed it because you were complaining about glare. The rainbow effect is from the Wide Viewing Angle tech, but it only happens when you point a light directly at the screen, your pic links aren't working but from what I can see on the thumbnails it looks like there's a lamp behind you hitting the corner? If so I would turn that off, any TV or projector that you watch the contrast is going to suffer if you have lights behind you. Your lights should be behind the TV or coming from the sides of the TV for a better ambient lighting and viewing experience.

Reactions: joe221

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I contacted Samsung support about my problem posted above, what a joke. They keep asking me if it happens on all sources, if I tried a picture test, have you tried changing any settings. You can tell they don't know a damn thing about what they are trying to support, very frustrating. Attached a couple more pictures, I would at least like to no of this is how they are (which sucks if it is) or if their is something wrong with the glass on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
No there's only one protective layer, he was assuming you hadn't removed it because you were complaining about glare. The rainbow effect is from the Wide Viewing Angle tech, but it only happens when you point a light directly at the screen, your pic links aren't working but from what I can see on the thumbnails it looks like there's a lamp behind you hitting the corner? If so I would turn that off, any TV or projector that you watch the contrast is going to suffer if you have lights behind you. Your lights should be behind the TV or coming from the sides of the TV for a better ambient lighting and viewing experience.
Well the light can't change, can't live in the dark. If that is what I want I go to my dedicated theater room. Previous TV had no issue with this, you did have a reflection but non of the strange banding and rainbows. Seems like a step backwards in tech to me.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Nope, that was it. It still shines?:cool:

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Well the light can't change, can't live in the dark. If that is what I want I go to my dedicated theater room. Previous TV had no issue with this, you did have a reflection but non of the strange banding and rainbows. Seems like a step backwards in tech to me.
You had a TV up there that survived without glare in direct line to the ceiling fixture? Wow is all I can say. I have nothing. :(

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
It is not really a shine. I could live with a normal reflection, and always have with the previous panel. This thing looks like you shine a light in a prism and it separates all the colors, then bleeds them across the entire screen.
I shined a super bright flashlight at mine, with a focused beam. I get the rainbow. The normal light in my room gets absorbed. I have to contort to see my dining room chandelier and i see what you’re seeing. I’m lucky I don’t catch the chandelier. I’d have to be lying on the floor like a kid to see that.

Maybe torchiere up firing lamps? More dispersion of the light. :confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
What do people use for settings for local dimming and enhanced contrast for both SDR and HDR material? I see pictures on here showing the Q80R with inky blacks, that look black, yet mine is very easily able to tell there is light bleed into the black. Blacks aren't black, and there is quite a fair bit of the black that has light in it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I shined a super bright flashlight at mine, with a focused beam. I get the rainbow. The normal light in my room gets absorbed. I have to contort to see my dining room chandelier and i see what you’re seeing. I’m lucky I don’t catch the chandelier. I’d have to be lying on the floor like a kid to see that.

Maybe torchiere up firing lamps? More dispersion of the light. :confused:
Yea I think if this is mounted at eye level so you are looking straight at it or below eye level you wouldn't notice it. But because ours is mounted high you see the ceiling lights in it. Only thing that would fix it is to tip it further forward so that you looking at it square. Problem is to tip it enough it is going to look funny hanging on the wall I think.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yea I think if this is mounted at eye level so you are looking straight at it or below eye level you wouldn't notice it. But because ours is mounted high you see the ceiling lights in it. Only thing that would fix it is to tip it further forward so that you looking at it square. Problem is to tip it enough it is going to look funny hanging on the wall I think.
It’s the Wide Angle tech creating the rainbow, it sounds like this isn’t the TV for you. I’d recommend stepping down to the Q70, which doesn’t have the Wide Angle tech and still a pretty good anti glare.

1201 - 1220 of 1931 Posts