AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1913 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I just checked my internal apps. There is no judder at all. Could it be your internet? I generally only use this TV for video games and it's been great other than the VA ghosting (but that's on every VA panel)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just checked my internal apps. There is no judder at all. Could it be your internet? I generally only use this TV for video games and it's been great other than the VA ghosting (but that's on every VA panel)
Don’t think it’s my internet. I regularly have speeds in the 400 to 50mbps range.

If someone want to compare. When I watch the Our Planet Behind the scenes on Netflix there are some scenes from 1:20 to 1:50 the first is the annoying auto dim where after the text 6000 drone flights the screen goes dark when the picture first comes back on. From there the camera pans past the back of a boat. The name of the boat is so blurry you can not make it out. On my other TV that is 10 years old the picture is clear and the name of the boat is clear. And about 1:45 they are filming the front of the boat with a camera mounted on the bow. That segment is jittery and not smooth

I have all the ambient light features turned off. Not sure why the auto dim is happening. It doesn’t do it at night.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Is it just my TV or is the Q80 terrible at handling motion. I have tried every setting and there is still judder and motion blur on everything. I understand the live sports (football) issue with it being 1080 and having it upscaked to a 4K tv but even when I watch 4K programming from Netflix or amazon it still isn’t clear. Not what I would expect from a high end tv. I am thinking about returning it to bestbuy but not sure if I should exchange it for another one or go with a different tv all together.
Set your auto motion to off. I finally did that and it solved my blur and judder issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it just my TV or is the Q80 terrible at handling motion. I have tried every setting and there is still judder and motion blur on everything. I understand the live sports (football) issue with it being 1080 and having it upscaked to a 4K tv but even when I watch 4K programming from Netflix or amazon it still isn’️t clear. Not what I would expect from a high end tv. I am thinking about returning it to bestbuy but not sure if I should exchange it for another one or go with a different tv all together.
Set your auto motion to off. I finally did that and it solved my blur and judder issues.
All Motion is set to off. I also tried custom Jetter and blur reduction set at zero. I’m some stuff auto motion set to auto makes image look better but only for a brief time

·
Registered
279 Posts
All Motion is set to off. I also tried custom Jetter and blur reduction set at zero. I’m some stuff auto motion set to auto makes image look better but only for a brief time

Finally Samsung did have a conclusion on this? warranty is 12 months.......some times they send a tech before replace it.....looks like a internal chip problem....

hope for you that Samsung gone do something. when did you purchase it? first 30 days the dealer can pick up

after a tech can not resolve your problem , depends of the dealer.....GOOD LUCK my friend:eek::eek:

===

·
Registered
808 Posts
Apple app is crushing black detail in some movies.... I compared it to the Apple 4k and it’️s crushing movies like Pacific Rim, Last Witch Hunter and The Nun to name a few.... now it isn’️t consistent bc some movies it’️s not crushing but for some reason it is doing it...... disappointing. It also appears to be just Apple bc Vudu isn't doing it.....but I was hoping to be not need the Apple 4k for this and to move it to the bedroom but Apple has probably the highest bitrate on their movies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@UnfoldingSquid: Calibration update

@UnfoldingSquid: Just wanted to check back if you managed to get calibration done for Samsung Q80R (American Panel). I did some calibration of my own but its always better, personally for me, to read other Samsung Q80R owners calibration settings. Much appreciate if you could update on this forum your calibration settings for HDR and SDR gaming as well. Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
>

On my 82 inch I checked that exact time period on "Our Planets Behind the Scenes" and it all seemed good. I could clearly see the name of the boat and no auto dim after the text 6000 and I have my settings pretty much at default.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Q70R and can confirm that apps such as Netflix show the Dolby Atmos notification and Amazon Prime. I also have the TV connected via HDMI 4 ARC to a Denon AVRX3400H reciever and it is displaying Dolby Atmos.
Interesting. As I have the Q80R with latest firmware, connected to Monitor 1 (eARC) on my Denon x2600hQ80R HDMI 4 (ARC). When using the Q80R's native apps, Atmos is only displayed on the AVR when streaming Vudu atmos content. I've tried many atmos titles on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc.......no Atmos being displayed on the AVR. I've read about Disney+ app issues on this TV but not the other services.

You are using the Q70R native streaming apps, correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
>

On my 82 inch I checked that exact time period on "Our Planets Behind the Scenes" and it all seemed good. I could clearly see the name of the boat and no auto dim after the text 6000 and I have my settings pretty much at default.
Thanks for checking it out. What is your motion settings?

I initiated an exchange today with Bestbuy. Was pleased to find out they offer an in home exchange with no charge. I just hope the new tv is better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Screws for installing Q80R wall mount brackets

Hi, I recently bought the 55 inch Q80R along with the Cheetah APTMSB TV Wall Mount for 20-55” TVs up to VESA 400 and 115lbs. The Manual for the Q80R says it has a 200X200 Vesa pattern and uses M8 screws for attaching the wall mount bracket to the TV. However, the M8 screws don't seem to fit the screw holes in the TV. It's not a length issue - I can push the screws in all the way no problem (with or without the spacers), but there doesn't seem to be screw threads in the holes, so the screws don't stay in. My old Samsung looks like it had adapters or something in the holes that seem to be missing from this one. Am I missing something? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I recently bought the 55 inch Q80R along with the Cheetah APTMSB TV Wall Mount for 20-55” TVs up to VESA 400 and 115lbs. The Manual for the Q80R says it has a 200X200 Vesa pattern and uses M8 screws for attaching the wall mount bracket to the TV. However, the M8 screws don't seem to fit the screw holes in the TV. It's not a length issue - I can push the screws in all the way no problem (with or without the spacers), but there doesn't seem to be screw threads in the holes, so the screws don't stay in. My old Samsung looks like it had adapters or something in the holes that seem to be missing from this one. Am I missing something? Thanks.
You may need a longer screw. I don't recall the length I needed on mine, but I recall them being fairly long.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The manual also clearly states the M8 screws should be 41mm to 43mm long, the threads on the TV are only at the very end of the holes.

·
Registered
771 Posts
@UnfoldingSquid: Just wanted to check back if you managed to get calibration done for Samsung Q80R (American Panel). I did some calibration of my own but its always better, personally for me, to read other Samsung Q80R owners calibration settings. Much appreciate if you could update on this forum your calibration settings for HDR and SDR gaming as well. Thank you
My TV was finally calibrated and I'm quite happy with the results. I specifically told him I wanted SDR calibrated to 250 nits, so my TV is a little on the bright side but that's what I'm used to.
SDR:
Backlight - 27
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Sharpness - 1 (this should be zero on your tv, this is a per TV setting as my Q9 sharpness is actually set to 2)
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Auto
Auo Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - Low
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Gamma - BT.1886 - 0
Color Space - Auto

HDR
Backlight - 50
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 46
Sharpness - 1
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Off
Auto Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - High
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm2
Gamma - ST.2084 - 0
Color Space - Auto

I specifically asked about Local Dimming being set to Low on SDR, the calibrator said for SDR it should be Low so it doesn't crush blacks in the lower nit content. The calibrator actually set Digital Clean View to Off on SDR but I turned it on afterwards, I find it helps clean up broadcast's digital noise.

I will probably end up playing with brightness later, but for now I'm pleased with where it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@UnfoldingSquid: Calibration

@UnfoldingSquid: Thanks for sharing your settings but I find Warm2 much yellowish unless if your calibrator did some tweak with other settings that eliminated the yellowish color on your screen. Why did the calibrator go for Warm 2 instead of Standard color space?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The manual also clearly states the M8 screws should be 41mm to 43mm long, the threads on the TV are only at the very end of the holes.
Thanks. Yes I know the screws are supposed to be 41-43mm, but I just assumed the Cheetah mount would include that size since my last mount had the correct size for my Samsung TV (but my last Samsung had the threads at the tip of the hole rather than at the end). Foolishly I didn't measure the screw sizes, but I'm going to assume that's the issue. I had already tried getting the right length M8 screw from a few hardware stores but no one seems to have 41-43. Fortunately I just found 43mm M8s on Amazon so I guess I'll use them and not use the spacers.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may need a longer screw. I don't recall the length I needed on mine, but I recall them being fairly long.
Thanks, yes it appears I need longer screws. I just assumed the mount would come with the correct size since it has like 8 different sizes, but apparently not. I just ordered the 43mm ones from Amazon, they should arrive tomorrow so hopefully that resolves the issue.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My TV was finally calibrated and I'm quite happy with the results. I specifically told him I wanted SDR calibrated to 250 nits, so my TV is a little on the bright side but that's what I'm used to.
SDR:
Backlight - 27
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Sharpness - 1 (this should be zero on your tv, this is a per TV setting as my Q9 sharpness is actually set to 2)
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Auo Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - Low
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Gamma - BT.1886 - 0
Color Space - Auto

HDR
Backlight - 50
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 46
Sharpness - 1
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Off
Auto Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - High
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm2
Gamma - ST.2084 - 0
Color Space - Auto

I specifically asked about Local Dimming being set to Low on SDR, the calibrator said for SDR it should be Low so it doesn't crush blacks in the lower nit content. The calibrator actually set Digital Clean View to Off on SDR but I turned it on afterwards, I find it helps clean up broadcast's digital noise.

I will probably end up playing with brightness later, but for now I'm pleased with where it is.
What mode are you using? Standard, Movie??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,419
SDR:
Backlight - 27
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Auo Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - Low
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm 2
Gamma - BT.1886 - 0
Color Space - Auto

HDR
Backlight - 50
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 46
Sharpness - 1
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Digital Clean View - Off
Auto Motion Plus - Off
Local Dimming - High
Contrast Enhancer - Off
Color Tone - Warm2
Gamma - ST.2084 - 0
Color Space - Auto

I'm surprised they left color space on auto. Did they not calibrate the white Balance settings?

·
Registered
46 Posts
SDR:
Backlight - 27

I’m just wondering why most people want to manually set the backlight versus setting it to 50 and turning on Eco Solution > Ambient Light Detection > Minimum Backlight = 15?

The light in my viewing room changes greatly through the day and night, so I use the Ambient Light Detection to adjust the Backlight automatically. Seems to work great for me.

1401 - 1420 of 1913 Posts