AVS Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1909 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Question for Q80 owners:

What made you choose this set over the Q90/Q70/other comparable LCD?

I'm mostly sold on the PQ advantage of the Q80 over the Q70, and am not convinced that the Q90 represents a jump in PQ commensurate with the difference in price over the Q80. Also, the one connect setup of the Q90 strikes me as a potential liability.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
You may want to further consider the Q70. It has much better native contrast ratio, and reports suggest it does a much better job in shadow detail (no black crush).

·
Registered
771 Posts
The only reason I purchased the Q80 over the Q90 is because I only needed a 55" set and the Q90 does not come in that size. I did read that some Q90 owners were having issues with the one connect box, but I haven't been following that forum in a while so I don't know it those issues were ever resolved.
You may want to further consider the Q70. It has much better native contrast ratio, and reports suggest it does a much better job in shadow detail (no black crush).
The Q70 still has black crush issues, all of Samsung's QLEDs do. The reason I went with the Q80 for my bedroom was also because the Q90 only comes in 75" or bigger. The reason I went with the Q80 over the Q70 was because the Q70 only hits a peak brightness of 650-750 nits where the Q80 can do 1000-1100 nits (my calibration report said 1000 nits in Movie Mode), the local dimming on the Q80 also performs better than the Q70, as it should since the Q80 has double the zones. There's more to PQ than native contrast, and the differences on contrast are pretty negligible; Q70 is something like 1:8000 and Q80 is around 1:5000 (I challenge you to spot a difference in that with any kind of light source in your room).

Something the TV manufacturers have lost sight of the last couple of years is the HDR10 Associations requirements, which is supposed to be a minimum of 1000 nits on an LED TV. There are very few TVs this year that can hit that; I believe it's the Q90, Q80, Sony 950g and I think the TCL 8 Series.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Does the PQ of the Q80 favorably compare with your Q9FN?
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Q80, obviously it’s not as bright and the blacks aren’t as good as the Q9, but I don’t watch it and hate the PQ like I did on my mu8000.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting. As I have the Q80R with latest firmware, connected to Monitor 1 (eARC) on my Denon x2600hQ80R HDMI 4 (ARC). When using the Q80R's native apps, Atmos is only displayed on the AVR when streaming Vudu atmos content. I've tried many atmos titles on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc.......no Atmos being displayed on the AVR. I've read about Disney+ app issues on this TV but not the other services.

You are using the Q70R native streaming apps, correct?
Yes I am using the native apps Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question for Q80 owners:

What made you choose this set over the Q90/Q70/other comparable LCD?

I'm mostly sold on the PQ advantage of the Q80 over the Q70, and am not convinced that the Q90 represents a jump in PQ commensurate with the difference in price over the Q80. Also, the one connect setup of the Q90 strikes me as a potential liability.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
I picked the Q80 for exactly what you stated above. I could tell a significant difference in PQ between the Q70 and Q80, especially in regards to color, brightness, contract, and glare. I couldn't tell a significant difference between the Q80 and Q90, especially for the difference in cost.

My other Samsung TV has OneConnect, and I've had no issues with it.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I had the 75" q70 for a few days. The 75" q80's brightness is drastically better.
That and the fact the Sony I was trying had horrendous blooming. The q80 isn't perfect but it's a really good set.

My friend just got a q80 and q90 to put head to head (both open boxes from my buddy's store) so should be fun to have some food time to side by side the 2 of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For Unfolding Squid

UnfoldingSquid re calibration

To UnfoldingSquid, thanks again for those settings. I saw the calibration settings for SDR and HDR were both done in the movie mode. I prefer the more vibrant Standard mode to base things on. My question is will your settings still work fine for standard mode or were they just calibrated for movie mode? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I am getting a Q85R in the next few days to replace my older Samsung KS9000, i will use the colour settings people have given in here and see how they go.

Can anyone tell me are there any other options that’s best to set on / off? There was settings on the KS9000 such as smart LED, auto motion plus, dynamic contrast that was all recommended to be off, is there anything similar with the Q85R? Are the same settings on it still being a Samsung?

Any tips before I get the TV would be great; I am in the UK not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
Samsung Q80 and Q85

Hi, I am trying to figure out if my sky q is working properly, does anyone who has this tv and sky q do they see the HDR+ included under the picture mode? I am sure this should be on sky q as I can access sky sports UHD.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Shopping to replace my KS8500. Unfortunately, screen cleaning may have ruined my set so looking to replace it and considering the QR80.

Do Samsung sets no longer have HDR+? My wife and I love the feature and use it exclusively for non 4K sources.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,452
Shopping to replace my KS8500. Unfortunately, screen cleaning may have ruined my set so looking to replace it and considering the QR80.

Do Samsung sets no longer have HDR+? My wife and I love the feature and use it exclusively for non 4K sources.

Thanks!

If it's what I think you're referring to, it needs to be enabled in the service menu.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can this 65" Q80r be mounted with the "No Gap Wall Mount"? If not, what is the thinnest mount to use for this? Mounting above a fireplace, don't need full motion, just want to tilt it down a bit, but as close to the wall as possible.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Thanks!

If it's what I think you're referring to, it needs to be enabled in the service menu.
I just received my Q80R. Still sitting in the box at the moment.

When you see the service menu, you're saying that somewhere in the service menu we can enable SDR to HDR conversion?

asking since to enable HDR plus that's in the settings menu under expert as I recall.

-T

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I am getting a Q85R in the next few days to replace my older Samsung KS9000, i will use the colour settings people have given in here and see how they go.

Can anyone tell me are there any other options that’s best to set on / off? There was settings on the KS9000 such as smart LED, auto motion plus, dynamic contrast that was all recommended to be off, is there anything similar with the Q85R? Are the same settings on it still being a Samsung?

Any tips before I get the TV would be great; I am in the UK not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks

James

I am picking up my TV today, does anyone know the answer to the above please? would be great to have all the settings sorted :)

Thanks
James

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ordered and received my 2019 82" Q80 from Samsung.com last week and have been playing around with the settings.

Initially, it had a quirky issue, after taking it out of the box, removing the styrofoam blocks, and unwrapping the protective foam "sack", it had this fine "glaze" on the screen that could only be seen with the TV off and using a flashlight held at an angle (I noticed the glaze while looking for the screen protector -- see below). While the glaze did not seem to effect the picture quality (which was outstanding), it bothered me, and so I called Samsung who said they thought it was probably from the foam "sack", and recommended I wipe the screen with a micro-fiber cloth, which I gently did, and the glaze easily and completely came off almost like it was a fine "dust".

The original packing looked complete as well as new, so I don't -think- I somehow got a used or refurbished unit. There was absolutely positively no screen protector in place, other than the two thin strips on the right and left sides of the screen, and the thin protector around the bezel -- and Samsung confirmed for larger models there probably would not be one for the entire screen (seems bizarre to me). To make sure, I checked the corners with a magnifying glass, and tried the flashlight trick to see if the reflection was white or a rainbow, and it was a rainbow (apparently that's due to the antiglare and/or wide-viewing angle screen capability).

Decoding my serial number "08UW3CAMC00XXX" (XXX are numbers) seems to indicate: made in Mexico in Dec 2019, so a very recent build. The version was "FA01" so a Samsung-made panel from the first run ... which surprised me. Not sure if I should consider myself lucky.

In any event it has a great picture ... except ... I have my current previous TV, a 65" KS8000 set up right next to it, so I can do an A/B comparison -- and while the Q80 is brighter, and has a slightly crisper detail, overall IMO the picture is just not that much better (other than being bigger of course). In fact, I have not been able to adjust the colors quite to my liking, even using Movie/Warm2 there seems to be just a hint of too much green in the flesh tones, where my KS8000 seems more "correct" or perhaps I should say more "to my liking" -- which I don't blame the TV for and may need to have it calibrated. Regardless of source material -- standard or HD resolution, SDR or HDR, there are always a few scenes where the KS8000 actually looks better -- so I'm actually thinking of returning the Q80 and just living with my KS8000 a few more years, and try again a few years down the road. I've only got a 15-day return window, so it's hard to get comfortable with it in that short a time span, especially considering the price commanded by the Q80.

Comments regarding my experience would be very welcome. Thanks.

-H

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Finally set up the 75 in. Off angle viewing is phenomenal on this set. I attached a couple of pictures. But if you own that you already know 🙂. But for those researching, I guess I'm about 75° off angle. Sure, the reds are slightly faded. Black level is still pretty decent.
My old 1080p Sharp Aquos would have looked totally washed out and bland.

For the most part, I think the natural picture mode is the most pleasant. It's in the family room so I find the ambient light sensing that adjusts the backlight works best for us.

I'll spend some time looking at some of the settings that have been posted earlier in the thread, but since every said is different, not really sure what's going to buy me much. I guess I'll use my Spears & munsil disc.

As for motion handling, most things it works very well. Buttery smooth. Although I have a recording of Jurassic world from NBC broadcast that's 1080i, and at the beginning of the movie when you see the universal logo circle the Earth, and ET on the bicycle, it's awfully juddery if I have motion handling on. But when I turn off blur reduction and judder reduction, it's suitable to view. But other content, recorded from Comcast cable from several years ago, is smooth. In the fast action scenes. So I might attribute that to be something specific to the Jurassic world broadcast.

I have it on Blu-ray but I haven't tried that one yet. I'm going to do that to see the comparison.

-T

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
after debating between SONY and SAMSUNG i ordered 75 inch set. need to check the distance between bottom of tv to stand, i am wondering i can put my sound bar front or back of Tv. sound bar is slightly under 4 inch, i could put in back of TV

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,459
I just received my Q80R. Still sitting in the box at the moment.

When you see the service menu, you're saying that somewhere in the service menu we can enable SDR to HDR conversion?

asking since to enable HDR plus that's in the settings menu under expert as I recall.
Yes. In the service menu, in production options I believe is the option to enable HDR plus. It is disabled by default. Once you enable it, you will see the option to turn it on in expert settings.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I ordered and received my 2019 82" Q80 from Samsung.com last week and have been playing around with the settings.

Initially, it had a quirky issue, after taking it out of the box, removing the styrofoam blocks, and unwrapping the protective foam "sack", it had this fine "glaze" on the screen that could only be seen with the TV off and using a flashlight held at an angle (I noticed the glaze while looking for the screen protector -- see below). While the glaze did not seem to effect the picture quality (which was outstanding), it bothered me, and so I called Samsung who said they thought it was probably from the foam "sack", and recommended I wipe the screen with a micro-fiber cloth, which I gently did, and the glaze easily and completely came off almost like it was a fine "dust".

The original packing looked complete as well as new, so I don't -think- I somehow got a used or refurbished unit. There was absolutely positively no screen protector in place, other than the two thin strips on the right and left sides of the screen, and the thin protector around the bezel -- and Samsung confirmed for larger models there probably would not be one for the entire screen (seems bizarre to me). To make sure, I checked the corners with a magnifying glass, and tried the flashlight trick to see if the reflection was white or a rainbow, and it was a rainbow (apparently that's due to the antiglare and/or wide-viewing angle screen capability).

Decoding my serial number "08UW3CAMC00XXX" (XXX are numbers) seems to indicate: made in Mexico in Dec 2019, so a very recent build. The version was "FA01" so a Samsung-made panel from the first run ... which surprised me. Not sure if I should consider myself lucky.

In any event it has a great picture ... except ... I have my current previous TV, a 65" KS8000 set up right next to it, so I can do an A/B comparison -- and while the Q80 is brighter, and has a slightly crisper detail, overall IMO the picture is just not that much better (other than being bigger of course). In fact, I have not been able to adjust the colors quite to my liking, even using Movie/Warm2 there seems to be just a hint of too much green in the flesh tones, where my KS8000 seems more "correct" or perhaps I should say more "to my liking" -- which I don't blame the TV for and may need to have it calibrated. Regardless of source material -- standard or HD resolution, SDR or HDR, there are always a few scenes where the KS8000 actually looks better -- so I'm actually thinking of returning the Q80 and just living with my KS8000 a few more years, and try again a few years down the road. I've only got a 15-day return window, so it's hard to get comfortable with it in that short a time span, especially considering the price commanded by the Q80.

Comments regarding my experience would be very welcome. Thanks.

-H
may be you are used to KS8000, it is very difficult to compare the PQ of larger screen tv to smaller as smaller looks always better if every things else is similar, lot of people when compare their Edge lit LED tv to the FALD unit they say Edge lit was more brighter, there were some edge lit produced by SONY which have insane brightness, those tv have very poor clouding and blooming issue also, On my SONY 75XF900 clouding is almost non existing but on my JS9000 Samsung it is visible and I don't like it in dark room viewing. JS9000 was my first LCD bough after owning plasma for years so i never like it watching in dark. all Edge lit behave very similar with bright black bars at top and bottom, so after SAMSUNG JS9000 experience my next tv was C6 OLED, this the tv i love most due to beautiful blacks and color, don't have budget for 77 inch model so Q80 is closest with some flaws, there is no perfect tv anyway.

KS8000 is not a bad tv by any means, i won't blame you for you decision as you compared Q80 side by side.

1441 - 1460 of 1909 Posts