AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1911 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Q80R for about a month now. I received my display with a couple of clusters of dead pixels, but Samsung has subsequently replaced the screen and it is now perfect.

I am loving this TV, especially since it was a substantial upgrade to my previous set bought 7+years ago. The picture quality is superb and although I was originally looking at the Q70R, the wide viewing angle pulled me up to the Q80R as it performs very well in this regard. I loved the idea of a OLED, but I will be playing a decent amount of games and I just didn't want to deal with the potential hassle/risk f burn-in. The user interface and the way the Q80R handles inputs is excellent. I am particularly enjoying being able to control everything from one sleek and simple remote that doesn't require line of sight.

There are a couple of issues I have/have had that I wanted to share in case anyone has any input or in case what I have discovered to date is helpful for others:

1) The universal remote(unresolved): It cannot connect to my pioneer receiver (VSX-824-K). This is only a minor annoyance as it is still able control the receiver volume and turn it on/off.

2) Bixby (solved): There are a number of complaints about this software and in the end I turned the assistant off. I do however find it quite good at recognizing my voice when speaking directly into the remote to input text for a web browser/youtube etc.

3) Motion (solved for me?): I have been struggling to find motion settings that work for me. I see this has been discussed a little previously, but nothing noted earlier has been to my liking. I followed recommendations on Rtings.com and a number of other sites, but didn't find anything to suit my liking. Even setting the motion to Off or trying Custom with both sliders to 0. While these have their strong points, I kept seeing a blurring to motion that just didn't look right. Sometimes it depended on the viewing material. This bothered me quite a bit as I found the motion handling on my older TV (although very basic) to not appear to cause any visual oddities regardless of the source. Now, motion handling is typically a very subjective thing, which is why it is nice that these newer TVs offer a lot of options, but it can be difficult to get to a place where it feels just right. All that said, after a month of tweaking I think I have landed in a comfortable spot that is working for me in every scenario at the moment. I am using these settings for both SDR (including blueray) and HDR:
Blur: 10 - Honestly, I didn't find the lower range to make a difference and its hard to see the differences between the single digit changes at the higher end. I wasn't seeing artifacts on 10, so to me this was an all or nothing sort of thing.
Judder: 1 - I saw a lot of recommendations suggesting that if this is used at all that 3 is a good spot. I found for me that this crossed the 'soap opera' borderline. I tried 2 for a while, but it is still just a little to 'real' and removed that movie look that my wife and I both love. Zero results in some poorer motion on landscape pans etc. that I found setting this to 1 this removed.
LED Clear Motion: ON - Again, a lot of this is subjective, but to my eyes (even with the settings above) having this on greatly improved instances of fast motion. I watch mostly action films, so the benefits of this seem to outweigh the drawbacks. It cleared up the picture motion without making it look like a 'soap opera'. Clear motion does make the picture a little less bright (which can be a pain on HDR), but the brightness/backlight can be increased to offset.

4)White Menus(solved): White menus were driving me nuts. Turning on High Contrast in the Accessibility options results in blacks menus, which to me is far superior. Especially, in the dark room setting.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
3) Motion (solved for me?): I have been struggling to find motion settings that work for me. I see this has been discussed a little previously, but nothing noted earlier has been to my liking. I followed recommendations on Rtings.com and a number of other sites, but didn't find anything to suit my liking. Even setting the motion to Off or trying Custom with both sliders to 0. While these have their strong points, I kept seeing a blurring to motion that just didn't look right. Sometimes it depended on the viewing material. This bothered me quite a bit as I found the motion handling on my older TV (although very basic) to not appear to cause any visual oddities regardless of the source. Now, motion handling is typically a very subjective thing, which is why it is nice that these newer TVs offer a lot of options, but it can be difficult to get to a place where it feels just right. All that said, after a month of tweaking I think I have landed in a comfortable spot that is working for me in every scenario at the moment. I am using these settings for both SDR (including blueray) and HDR:
Blur: 10 - Honestly, I didn't find the lower range to make a difference and its hard to see the differences between the single digit changes at the higher end. I wasn't seeing artifacts on 10, so to me this was an all or nothing sort of thing.
Judder: 1 - I saw a lot of recommendations suggesting that if this is used at all that 3 is a good spot. I found for me that this crossed the 'soap opera' borderline. I tried 2 for a while, but it is still just a little to 'real' and removed that movie look that my wife and I both love. Zero results in some poorer motion on landscape pans etc. that I found setting this to 1 this removed.
Thanks for the insight. I noticed no difference on my Q80 with the the Blur Reduction. I was using 60 fps material (Football). Noticed no difference, so I set to 0.

Judder. Yup, subjective. 6 gets rid of all panning issues in all the movies i tested on my TiVO (1080i comcast broadcasts of 24p movies from 2014). I have not tested native 24p BD yet. But 6 introduced some artifacts on fast moving scenes (Disney movie Planes). So I am keeping at 3 for now since it seems (to me) not to introduce unsightly artifacts. And smoothes out just enough.

-T

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have only had my Q85R a day but like my KS9000 out of the box there was definitely a bit of a judder if things were moving fast, I’m not too sure about setting the auto motion or digital clean view to different levels to fix this but like my old KS9000 i have found that just turning these settings off completely seems to fix it 100%. So i always wonder why else I’d set these values to custom settings when turning them off seems to fix it?

Maybe setting to custom makes it even better do people think?

·
Registered
51 Posts
After doing some research I am returning my Q70R and have purchased the Q80R Best Buy will deliver it on Saturday. Was wondering if someone could share the link to UnfoldingSquid's calibration settings that I have been reading about. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After doing some research I am returning my Q70R and have purchased the Q80R Best Buy will deliver it on Saturday. Was wondering if someone could share the link to UnfoldingSquid's calibration settings that I have been reading about. Thanks so much.

I would also like to know about this if anyone has a link for us please?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm hoping you can help. I purchased a 65" Samsung Q80R and Q80R Soundbar on Dec 26th. The department store changed the delivery date 4 times and I believe the model is discontinued. I paid in full for the items but they say Samsung is the reason I dont have my TV and have now revised arrival to 1st week of Feb. Considering I paid in full and have proof of purchase does Samsung have any obligations to fulfill my purchase since it wasnt purchased directly from Samsung but instead a 3rd party vendor? I invested so much time and money preparing for this TV's arrival. I need help.
store might be right i have ordered mine also, store told me upfront that it might be two weeks out, end of first week of Feb worse case 2nd week, only paid a deposit not full price, it is 75 inch Q80R.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm hoping you can help. I purchased a 65" Samsung Q80R and Q80R Soundbar on Dec 26th. The department store changed the delivery date 4 times and I believe the model is discontinued. I paid in full for the items but they say Samsung is the reason I dont have my TV and have now revised arrival to 1st week of Feb. Considering I paid in full and have proof of purchase does Samsung have any obligations to fulfill my purchase since it wasnt purchased directly from Samsung but instead a 3rd party vendor? I invested so much time and money preparing for this TV's arrival. I need help.
I can't answer your question, but curious to see how you like this set up once you get it. I'm looking at the 65" Q80R and then will need to get a soundbar to go with it, so maybe the Q80R soundbar as well...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I posted this in the ATMOS thread and was directed to post here

I bought a new house back in November and with a new house comes a new TV and more speakers. At my old house I didn't really have a need for ATMOS as the room was much smaller. So I upgraded from a 60" Samsung JU6400 to a 82" Samsung Q80. But now that the living room and TV is much bigger I want to put speakers in the ceiling for ATMOS to fill the room with sound. I can't use the optical audio cable, it has to be newer HDMI cables for ATMOS right? How do I go about hooking it up, do I go from HDMI (ARC) input 4 on the TV to the HDMI (ARC) output on the receiver? Or do I go from HDMI (ARC) input 4 on the TV to the TV HDMI input on the receiver? I want to just the apps through the TV so I can use my Nvidia Shield in another room.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I posted this in the ATMOS thread and was directed to post here

I bought a new house back in November and with a new house comes a new TV and more speakers. At my old house I didn't really have a need for ATMOS as the room was much smaller. So I upgraded from a 60" Samsung JU6400 to a 82" Samsung Q80. But now that the living room and TV is much bigger I want to put speakers in the ceiling for ATMOS to fill the room with sound. I can't use the optical audio cable, it has to be newer HDMI cables for ATMOS right? How do I go about hooking it up, do I go from HDMI (ARC) input 4 on the TV to the HDMI (ARC) output on the receiver? Or do I go from HDMI (ARC) input 4 on the TV to the TV HDMI input on the receiver? I want to just the apps through the TV so I can use my Nvidia Shield in another room.
I’m assuming the AVR is Atmos compatible and has enough HDMI ports. Connect all the speakers to the AVR with normal speaker wire. Then connect all the external devices to the AVR and the AVR to the TV input 4 for ARC. The AVR controls everything. Is this what you mean? You may need support for your AVR in the appropriate forum here for specific questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, the AVR is ATMOS compatible. I am trying to move away from using external devices. I want to use just the apps off the TV itself. So I am trying to figure out how to connect the TV to the AVR. So even though ARC port on the TV says input and the ARC port on the AVR says output can they be switched around. So I can get audio only out from HDMI input 4 on my TV? And can the ARC output on my AVR accept audio in from my TV. Or can I use HDMI input 4 of my TV (assuming I can get audio out) run to any of the inputs on the AVR? The AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR686. It is hard to explain, guess that is why I am asking.

Can I get audio out from "HDMI (ARC) input 4" on the TV?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can anyone tell me, if there is still a little blurring or juddering with fast moving scenes just on normal Tv, will setting the Auto motion or digital clean view to any custom settings make it better? I had a ks9000 before and had them settings off and never noticed any juddering but am a little with the Q85R.

What settings would anyone recommend to get rid of this?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, the AVR is ATMOS compatible. I am trying to move away from using external devices. I want to use just the apps off the TV itself. So I am trying to figure out how to connect the TV to the AVR. So even though ARC port on the TV says input and the ARC port on the AVR says output can they be switched around. So I can get audio only out from HDMI input 4 on my TV? And can the ARC output on my AVR accept audio in from my TV. Or can I use HDMI input 4 of my TV (assuming I can get audio out) run to any of the inputs on the AVR? The AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR686. It is hard to explain, guess that is why I am asking.

Can I get audio out from "HDMI (ARC) input 4" on the TV?

Yes but your likely not going to get ATMOS the best your can do is dolby digital plus.

https://www.onkyousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/TX-NR686_En.pdf
check page 31 of the manual.
Also this from rtings.
Just like the Q90R, the Q70R, and 2018 Samsung TVs, the Q80R does not support DTS passthrough, nor does it support eARC. It likely does support lossy Atmos passthrough from Dolby Digital Plus sources, like the native Netflix app, because there is an Atmos option in its settings.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
938 Posts
i think Atmos from Streaming services is DD+ at best, tracks lacks the punch, for that reason i am still buying media which has better PQ and Audio. i invested so much in Atmos setup so at least 4K movies on disc i should buy. For stuff on streaming my expectation is low on sound quality. i have Giga bit internet and i am using wired connection to my media centers so Internet is not an issue. eArc implementation is real mess, In electronics all manufacturers stretch the spec to almost outright lie. like LG they said there are no BI issue with OLEDs and here we are $5K 65 inch sets bought is 2016 have BI, there are BI in brand new OLEDS. Samsung implementation of 2.1 is also poor. we are talking about 2-3K price point. it is joke.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
ARC is connected to ARC they work together.
As for the rest, I’ll let others chime in that have more knowledge.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Atmos (lossy) plays just fine through the internal TV apps via ARC. Atmos streaming support is highly splintered on external devices (if I recall correctly the Shield doesn't support Atmos on Netflix, for example).

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have an OLED? 🙂

Just an observation that this Q80R is crazy good. 45 degree off-angle is still pretty solid in terms of washout and black level. Even 75 degrees off-angle is really good.

Honestly, and not to bash the OLED technology, but this set is pretty close to OLED quality. But I never viewed an OLED except on display at Best buy... so never had one in my room.

-T

1461 - 1480 of 1911 Posts