AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1909 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
We bought a 75” Samsung Q80R for our living room along with two smaller Q60R’s for the bedrooms. The Samsung Smart Remote for the living room failed after about 10 minutes of use and I have had to use cable box remote and Samsung app in interim. I changed batteries and it turns the TV on and off but that is it. It seems to be a pairing issue but whenever I try to re-pair TV says “Not Available”. Seems like this is a common problem. I have tried every fix and nothing works. Called Samsung support and they are sending me a new remote but I suspect it is a pairing issue and not the remote itself.

The only thing I cannot do is unplug the TV itself as some suggest to cause a reboot as it is wall mounted and I cannot access plug on the wall. I would need another person to help me take the whole set off the bracket. I do have access to the circuit breaker and have tried turning that on and off to no avail. Should cutting power that way cause a reboot of the TV, which I think is what I want. I had turned TV power off first though. Should I leave TV on and then try turning off circuit breaker for a minute.

Alternatively, what is a good universe remote I can buy that will allow me to operate smart TV functions. Unfortunately while my Spectrum Cable box remote will turn TV on and off, switch between inputs and control volume on TV,, the arrow and enter keys don’t work so I cannot use that to navigate the Samsung menu. If I could get it to do that I would not care that Samsung remote doesn’t work.
Dude... Just turn off the breaker the tv is on... Lol

·
Registered
937 Posts
We bought a 75” Samsung Q80R for our living room along with two smaller Q60R’s for the bedrooms. The Samsung Smart Remote for the living room failed after about 10 minutes of use and I have had to use cable box remote and Samsung app in interim. I changed batteries and it turns the TV on and off but that is it. It seems to be a pairing issue but whenever I try to re-pair TV says “Not Available”. Seems like this is a common problem. I have tried every fix and nothing works. Called Samsung support and they are sending me a new remote but I suspect it is a pairing issue and not the remote itself.

The only thing I cannot do is unplug the TV itself as some suggest to cause a reboot as it is wall mounted and I cannot access plug on the wall. I would need another person to help me take the whole set off the bracket. I do have access to the circuit breaker and have tried turning that on and off to no avail. Should cutting power that way cause a reboot of the TV, which I think is what I want. I had turned TV power off first though. Should I leave TV on and then try turning off circuit breaker for a minute.

Alternatively, what is a good universe remote I can buy that will allow me to operate smart TV functions. Unfortunately while my Spectrum Cable box remote will turn TV on and off, switch between inputs and control volume on TV,, the arrow and enter keys don’t work so I cannot use that to navigate the Samsung menu. If I could get it to do that I would not care that Samsung remote doesn’t work.
it is pairing issue of remote, i had this on my JS9000 Tv remote, there are online instructions how to pair it, after few tries mine worked. there is nothing wrong with tv or remote.

·
Registered
937 Posts
When they do not have stock, they always say 2 weeks, if it does not come in they will tell you 2 weeks again from what I have saw on this forum over the years. With that said, hope you get your TV when you want it ;)
it has been two weeks, Store has offered me i could get another tv i don't want Q70, Q90R is way over priced for my needs, other option is SONY 75 Z9F which is same price, they will honor the Super bowl price even if the prices went up, Store has many of order on this samsung tv, they told me if order is not fulfilled they know right away, its is delayed, but how much they are not sure, i know them for a long time, so i know they are telling me the info they have. let see, i am going to order 75 Z9F next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone noticed anything new/different with latest firmware 1351.3?

I don't connect my Q80 to the internet and use the USB method to update firmware so I was just wondering if anyone noticed any issues.

Thanks!!
I'm not seeing any update, either over the air or on the Samsung website. Still 1335 showing in Australia.......

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not seeing any update, either over the air or on the Samsung website. Still 1335 showing in Australia.......

I had to download it via the Q90 page. Installed it earlier today and doesn’t seem to have any adverse effects so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had to download it via the Q90 page. Installed it earlier today and doesn’t seem to have any adverse effects so far.

Do you notice any positive effects?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nope, not really. I’ve been hoping for the rumored eArc update but I’ve given up on that.

Thanks for the response. I would imagine when/if eArc was to be pushed out it would be a major release. We will keep our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep. If you check the firmware compatibility info it will show you the applicable models.

Samsung Australia stills shows 1335.0 as latest for Q80R and Q90R. Will wait for it to show in official Q80R downloads page (and others to jump on first) before I upgrade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Samsung Australia stills shows 1335.0 as latest for Q80R and Q90R. Will wait for it to show in official Q80R downloads page (and others to jump on first) before I upgrade.

FWIW Samsung USA doesn’t have ANY firmware updates listed for their Q80 product page or support site and I don’t know why.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Using Bluetooth audio with the Q80

My wife wants to get a pair of wireless Bluetooth earbuds for use with our 75Q80 so she can watch & not disturb others when they are sleeping.

I know there are often latency issues with Bluetooth, & Samsung doesn't give any clues as to compatible earbuds in the Q80 manual. They don't even say if they support the low-latency aptX codec.

Does anyone have experience with a SUCCESSFUL pairing & no lip-sync issues, & if so, what earbuds are you using to achieve this?

Thanks,

--Alan

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Q80 will be a huge improvement on the NU6900, with 14 Mbps just stick to HD and you'll be fine. Don't fall for LG's hype train on their LEDs, realistically they're 10 degrees better than a standard LED for viewing angles but the M7300 only hits about 300 nits vs the Q80's 1700 nits (much better for a bright room). Also nothing can touch the Q80 or Q90's anti-glare, hell nothing can touch the Q60's and Q70's anti-glare and they are nowhere near the Q80 and Q90. The only thing with better viewing angles than the Q80/Q90 is going to be OLED but not by much, so if viewing angles and anti-glare are your top concerns go with the Q80 and you won't be disappointed. The big upgrade in contrast you'll get is just a bonus.

Well I bought the Q80 but it didn't work for us because of the poor reflection handling.

Note: This is from a 45' angle which is where I sit in our family room. Reflections from windows(not shown) were very bad on even an over cast day. Calibrating to setting from rtings.com and also the ones posted here with minimal difference.

Very disappointed.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
You need to move your seat . And calibration settings won't affect reflection handling.

What's the point of buying a tv for it's viewing angle and reflection handling if you need to sit right in front of it?

Either way, for us it didn't work which is a shame because it had such a fantastic picture.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What's the point of buying a tv for it's viewing angle and reflection handling if you need to sit right in front of it?
I don’t see a rainbow effect in the photo you posted, which implies you might still have the clear plastic protective sheet on the panel. Just guessing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don’t see a rainbow effect in the photo you posted, which implies you might still have the clear plastic protective sheet on the panel. Just guessing.

Agreed, mine has fantastic reflection handling and viewing angles.

It’s so easy to miss too. I sent my original back because I thought it had scratches on the screen. In retrospect it was definitely just the protective sheet that was mucked up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed, mine has fantastic reflection handling and viewing angles.

It’s so easy to miss too. I sent my original back because I thought it had scratches on the screen. In retrospect it was definitely just the protective sheet that was mucked up.

I really hope I didn't just go thru this whole big hassle because I missed removing the protective film.

I would really appreciate it if someone who gets this tv can check the angle reflection handling before and after removing the film.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I don’️t see a rainbow effect in the photo you posted, which implies you might still have the clear plastic protective sheet on the panel. Just guessing.
Attached two pictures that I took tonight regarding the reflections post that was posted earlier by a member.

One shot is with the flash on from my phone. 0 degree angles. Obvious rainbowing and dispersion. So that's great.

The other picture is that a 75-degree angle which shows a ceiling can light and adjoining room. It is apparent that I do have rainbow effect at the 75 degree angle... but the light dispersion of the screen is much better when the light source is directly behind the viewer, and not nearly as great at the extreme angles.

So I learned something tonight about the light rejection properties of a screen at extreme angles. that's because most of the testing I did in-store was with the light source behind me since that's how I'm going to view it in my living room.

-T

Attachments

1521 - 1540 of 1909 Posts