AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1909 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s complicated. I found in my Harmony remote database, the correct command that shows the info on my Q80R. I was then able to teach it to a cheap Samsung replacing remote to its “Status” button, as a storage device. The reason I did that was the Harmony software had somehow lost the command in my main TV activity but not another. So I wanted to back it up and relearn it into the Harmony database before it totally got lost.
I have no idea how to share it. But it is somewhere in the Harmony database.

Edit:
Also I see when I watch an HDR video my menus glow a golden color, so I can see that it’s doing HDR.
Can you post a pic of the menu?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Can you post a pic of the menu?
This is on my DirecTV. It’s hard to see but the text on the HDR screen is not white it has a mellow golden hue, channel 104. On the CNN screen it’s white, channel 202.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can Q80R output to optical out AND HDMI (Arc) simultaneously ? I would like to get a soundbar for just watching TV shows and already have my Sound system (Denon) for movies and such. I don't want to have to go into setup and switch each time i want to use it. Just power on Denon and go. Also just have soundbar to come on with TV. Did not find this specific issue anywhere on site. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was looking at the Calibration white balance and color space settings on RTINGS does anyone know if the settings are for SDR content only or can they be used for HDR as well?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
So has that info bar that displays the resolution been something that has been added via a firmware update?

It's been there for at least the past 2 versions. I bought mine in November last year and it was there. There has been at least one firmware update since then.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I was looking at the Calibration white balance and color space settings on RTINGS does anyone know if the settings are for SDR content only or can they be used for HDR as well?

Thanks in advance.
You shouldn't use someone else's white balance settings, those will be different per panel. Not even sure why theh post them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
New Q80R owner here! My beloved ks8000 has some purple patches on the screen. My SquareTrade warranty came in handy - took some negotiating and 3 replacement offers but finally agreed on the Q80. Definitely miss the one connect box - spoiled. KS was thinner then Q80 - most likely due to full array. Well I’m still playing around with the settings, only had the set for couple of days. Looking forward to any tips on this forum. Will start to page through. Definitely want the best picture I can get - starting with rtings settings. Anyone try darko settings? I know you have to pay but is it that much better?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am having an issue when playing my PS4 on my new Samsung Q80 tv. After about 20 minutes of playing the TV turns off. Has anybody else seen this? I was thinking it might not be getting a good HDMI-CEC signal. As of right now I have the HDMI-CEC enabled and was going to try disabling it to see what happens. But I wanted to see if anybody else has experienced this. All of my cables are the same and brand new high speed media bridge cables and I don't have this issue with the Nvidia shield, just my PS4.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Hooked up my new 55" Q80R yesterday. Got a terrific clearance deal on the set.

Was afraid to buy an OLED because of retention and burn-in issues.

Wanted the next best thing - within my budget.

This set's picture really pops and has the wow factor. Still fooling around with settings.
Did try "Dynamic," just to see what it looked like and almost needed sunglasses! :)

Fortunately, I won the Panel Lottery - no Dirty Screen and no bad pixels.

So far, the only negative for me is the horrible little remote control.

What a pain - I have to push buttons to open a menu on the screen, then
i have to find the action I want to take. I have to interest in having a
conversation with a tiny remote.

I'm keeping the old Samsung remote that I had used with my faulty
JS7000.

I just push the button for what I want and it's there for me to make
adjustments.

Interestingly, in the E.U. the 80 comes with 2 remotes - the scrawny, little
toy and a full fledged large remote with all those wonderful buttons.

I'll accept the trade-off with our having about twice the Local Dimming Zones
as the sets in the E.U.!!!!

I'm loving the set!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dolby Digital 5.1 Passthrough

I'm looking at purchasing the QN55Q80RAFXZA since it seems like the Samsung 2020 offerings are a step back.

Can anyone confirm that the Q80 truly supports pass through of Dolby Digital 5.1 from an external hdmi source to optical out? rtings says it does, but posts in the Samsung forums suggest it doesn't. Was it something added later on with a firmware update?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing the QN55Q80RAFXZA since it seems like the Samsung 2020 offerings are a step back.

Can anyone confirm that the Q80 truly supports pass through of Dolby Digital 5.1 from an external hdmi source to optical out? rtings says it does, but posts in the Samsung forums suggest it doesn't. Was it something added later on with a firmware update?
Yes it does I have my 4k fire stick plug in HDMI 4 optical out to my Pioneer receiver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got the 1351 auto-update on my 75" Q80R. I can't see anything new other than maybe some app updates. Anyone see anything more exciting with the 1351 version?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,
I bought this TV 3 months ago, was glad with it until now. I'm having big ugly blooming issue during movies (black bars, subtitle) and also in games when a bright object appears on a dark screen. This isissue really awful and I was wondering, does anyone else is ewperiencing this kind od blooming ? The picture looks like **** with SDR games (blacks are grey) and the blooming is just crazy in HDR. I've tried everything in the menu to reduce this, but I'm always seeing this white halo when there's a dark scene... I'm joining 2 pictures to be compared (with and without bright object), the difference is clearly visible.
I saw some threads saying there isin blooming with this TV but how can people live with that ? Or is it my bad luck with panel lottery ?

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey folks. Thinking of possibly pulling the trigger on a 75" Q80 because of some good pricing I'm seeing.

However, I would be coming from a C6P OLED and I'm am concerned that the tradeoffs of the OLED to LCD transition will bother me. This will be an online purchase and returning the set may be difficult. Anyone have experience or own both this set and an OLED and can share their experience? After 3 years with an OLED Im guessing I may be overly sensitive to blooming or grey "black" bars during movies. Any other issues I should be concerned about? Any known issues with this set as far as function or known bugs at the moment?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey folks. Thinking of possibly pulling the trigger on a 75" Q80 because of some good pricing I'm seeing.

However, I would be coming from a C6P OLED and I'm am concerned that the tradeoffs of the OLED to LCD transition will bother me. This will be an online purchase and returning the set may be difficult. Anyone have experience or own both this set and an OLED and can share their experience? After 3 years with an OLED Im guessing I may be overly sensitive to blooming or grey "black" bars during movies. Any other issues I should be concerned about? Any known issues with this set as far as function or known bugs at the moment?

I have a 75 Q80 in our bonus/movie room, and a 55 B8 OLED in our bedroom. I think you will be fine. The movie room is dark and the black levels still look surprisingly dark on the Q80, and the overall uniformity is impressive FOR an LCD. Is it perfect like an OLED, no, but it's still pretty good. Also, the bars during movies are not quite as black as an OLED, but they are surely not "grey". Also, I would even say the Q80 bests the OLED in some of the brighter HDR scenes. Unless you are extremely nit picky, I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts

I have a 75 Q80 in our bonus/movie room, and a 55 B8 OLED in our bedroom. I think you will be fine. The movie room is dark and the black levels still look surprisingly dark on the Q80, and the overall uniformity is impressive FOR an LCD. Is it perfect like an OLED, no, but it's still pretty good. Also, the bars during movies are not quite as black as an OLED, but they are surely not "grey". Also, I would even say the Q80 bests the OLED in some of the brighter HDR scenes. Unless you are extremely nit picky, I think you will be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I would not say I'm extremely nitpicky but I did audition a Sony 900F a few weeks ago and the blooming was very offensive to me. I do not think that the 900F is nearly as good as this tv however. I will add that if I do purchase this tv I do plan on eventually having it calibrated so any picture issues that may be present out of the box will be nil post calibration.

Any known bugs, compatibility issues, or other problems inherent with this tv I should know about before diving into a purchase?

1561 - 1580 of 1909 Posts