AVS Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Q80 or 950G

Hey guys, I am so torn on which TV to get in the 65" size. Hooked up to it I will have a soundbar, apple tv, cable box and Bluray player. I will not be playing any games on the tv at all. Will be watching tv shows, lot of sports and movies on cable, also stream about 25% of the time from the apple tv (netflix,prime, disney +). I do have some reflections from 3 windows in the room so need to consider that. My main concern is picture quality and I have read so much about each model and the pros and cons of each. I currently have a 2015 Samsung UN55J6300AF and I like it a lot. Need help in deciding which one.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Hey guys, I am so torn on which TV to get in the 65" size. Hooked up to it I will have a soundbar, apple tv, cable box and Bluray player. I will not be playing any games on the tv at all. Will be watching tv shows, lot of sports and movies on cable, also stream about 25% of the time from the apple tv (netflix,prime, disney +). I do have some reflections from 3 windows in the room so need to consider that. My main concern is picture quality and I have read so much about each model and the pros and cons of each. I currently have a 2015 Samsung UN55J6300AF and I like it a lot. Need help in deciding which one.
I came from a failed 70” Sammy K6800 series. I got the 65” Q80R and I chose the downsize to go up in picture quality. Boy am I happy. This set has blacks second only to an OLED but no burn in issues. I had a burn in set in my past, so it’s real to me. The 80 and 90 series have the anti-reflective and wide viewing angle coatings and I have a bright room. This set has handled it as well as any set I’ve owned and now I gain the wide angle. My seating is five across (couch and two recliners on either side) and I don’t have to angle the TV at all. Love the TV and can recommend it whole heartily.

Also, if you look at the current line up you have to add 10. Current 90T is 80R, 80T is 70R etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I came from a failed 70” Sammy K6800 series. I got the 65” Q80R and I chose the downsize to go up in picture quality. Boy am I happy. This set has blacks second only to an OLED but no burn in issues. I had a burn in set in my past, so it’s real to me. The 80 and 90 series have the anti-reflective and wide viewing angle coatings and I have a bright room. This set has handled it as well as any set I’ve owned and now I gain the wide angle. My seating is five across (couch and two recliners on either side) and I don’t have to angle the TV at all. Love the TV and can recommend it whole heartily.

Also, if you look at the current line up you have to add 10. Current 90T is 80R, 80T is 70R etc.
Should I be looking to the Samsung 2020 models then, the 90T? Also, did you compare yours to the 950G at all?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Should I be looking to the Samsung 2020 models then, the 90T? Also, did you compare yours to the 950G at all?
Not sure what that is so, no. Is that the Sony? I ruled out the Sony based on the interface and previous Sony experiences. I know my Sammy failed but I had an EW from DirecTV. Got an EW on the 80 and still maintain the DirecTV coverage for all the rest. DolbyVision was not a concern, nice but no loss if overall PQ was outstanding.

Oh and the 90T is a consideration but not worth a huge price difference. The 80R should be on clearance pricing.
It looks like the 90T will be the last Sammy 4K to even consider going forward. All top level Sammys will be 8K by 2021. All 4K will be entry level.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just bought my new 65" Q80R and waiting to have it installed on the wall with Sanus Super Low Profile Fixed Position TV Wall Mount Bracket. Can't wait to see this baby go.
Here's my 82" Q90 with that Sanus mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDS57JB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can just barely reach under the TV and fit my fingers in the gap between the wall and TV. Super easy to hang TV on mount and lock into place. I had to use string to lengthen the release straps for the locking mechanism though, the included straps are too short for 82" TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just replaced a Vizio P with a Q80R...amazing different in glare. Almost ZERO on Samsung. Can barely make out windows directly behind seating position....but talk about a crazy remote. I still cant figure out how to get into settings like Game low latency mode. Any help?

Reactions: joe221

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just replaced a Vizio P with a Q80R...amazing different in glare. Almost ZERO on Samsung. Can barely make out windows directly behind seating position....but talk about a crazy remote. I still cant figure out how to get into settings like Game low latency mode. Any help?
This may help.

I love my Q80R, but hate that little remote.

What a pain to have to open up the menu on the screen then have to find what you want to control. Waste of time!!!!

And Bixby drove me crazy. It would listen to the television and respond that it didn't understand what was being said.
I finally changed its sensitivity, but still hated it.

You can buy a Harmony remote, program it for your set. That should help.

When I threw away my broken old Samsung set, I kept its remote.

It pulls up the menu and is faster and for me easier to use than the little one that came with the Q80R. And, it doesn't talk back to me!

The one I'm using is - BN59-01223A. Available from Samsung. There are also cheaper ones available not made by Samsung.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Like SnellKrell says, Harmony is my go to programmable remote. But for a lot less you can get any number of Samsung OEM or clone remotes on Amazon for under $30 I keep one around for adding a control to the Harmony or just for ease.
The included remote sucks but the keep including it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure what that is so, no. Is that the Sony? I ruled out the Sony based on the interface and previous Sony experiences. I know my Sammy failed but I had an EW from DirecTV. Got an EW on the 80 and still maintain the DirecTV coverage for all the rest. DolbyVision was not a concern, nice but no loss if overall PQ was outstanding.

Oh and the 90T is a consideration but not worth a huge price difference. The 80R should be on clearance pricing.
It looks like the 90T will be the last Sammy 4K to even consider going forward. All top level Sammys will be 8K by 2021. All 4K will be entry level.
Thanks I just purchased the Q80R 65" yesterday and it's on its way! Found it for only $100 more than the Sony 950G!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got the TV now need Soundbar

Now that I am a proud owner of a 65" Q80R (it's being shipped to me as I write this). I wanted to see what other owners of the tv use for a soundbar. I would think I would want to utilize the HDMI ARC port on the tv so there is one less remote, is that correct? I would like to get the best soundbar I can get for around $500 or less. Is it better to stay with Samsung or does that not matter? Any suggestions or input would be great.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Now that I am a proud owner of a 65" Q80R (it's being shipped to me as I write this). I wanted to see what other owners of the tv use for a soundbar. I would think I would want to utilize the HDMI ARC port on the tv so there is one less remote, is that correct? I would like to get the best soundbar I can get for around $500 or less. Is it better to stay with Samsung or does that not matter? Any suggestions or input would be great.
It depends on how you want to use your soundbar.

I use it to improve dialogue. My 55" Q80R's sound is hollow, even using the set's equalizer.
For concerts and action movies, I use my Home Theater for TV audio. Therefore a soundbar
with a subwoofer was not needed.

I also didn't want a soundbar that was massive. I also wanted one that would fit in between
the TV's legs and wouldn't be too high and block the remote's signals.

I found the Harman/Kardon Enchant 800 - it is approximately 34" wide, fitting between the set's
legs and allows the remote to work. Really improved the quality of dialogue. It also has various
sound modes for music and movies, etc. Don't know how effective they are, don't use them.

I have my soundbar connected to the set's ARC/HDMI and it works perfectly. My cable box's
remote controls the on/off and volume.

There is a larger version of my soundbar available, it's the Enchant 1300 - it's about 10" wider.
Both models have a subwoofer available as an option.

Great sale on both models at Crutchfield.

I couldn't be happier with mine for the way I use it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's my 65" Q90 with Q60 soundbar. It came discounted when bundled with the TV which is why I got it, didn't really shop or look around for other options. I did buy almost the exact same soundbar at Costco, which is on sale now too, for my old LG OLED.

The center speaker is pretty good to me for dialogue and casual TV watching. It's connected via HDMI ARC, so the TV remote control controls the volume and the TV turns on/off the power for the soundbar. The TV's sound menu also controls the EQ/subwoofer on the soundbar and the various sound options, though I don't think it's important.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
It depends on how you want to use your soundbar.

I use it to improve dialogue. My 55" Q80R's sound is hollow, even using the set's equalizer.
For concerts and action movies, I use my Home Theater for TV audio. Therefore a soundbar
with a subwoofer was not needed.

I also didn't want a soundbar that was massive. I also wanted one that would fit in between
the TV's legs and wouldn't be too high and block the remote's signals.

I found the Harman/Kardon Enchant 800 - it is approximately 34" wide, fitting between the set's
legs and allows the remote to work. Really improved the quality of dialogue. It also has various
sound modes for music and movies, etc. Don't know how effective they are, don't use them.

I have my soundbar connected to the set's ARC/HDMI and it works perfectly. My cable box's
remote controls the on/off and volume.

There is a larger version of my soundbar available, it's the Enchant 1300 - it's about 10" wider.
Both models have a subwoofer available as an option.

Great sale on both models at Crutchfield.

I couldn't be happier with mine for the way I use it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I took a look at your set up and to get a sub it really makes your system really expensive and over my budget.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those that play Xbox one X on this set- do you have game mode on or off?

Also- what’s the deal with free sync- does it work with 4K 60 FPS?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just bought a 82" q80. When I play my xbox one X, it wont let me set the console to 4k. It states tv isnt ready. I didnt have this issue with my c8 OLED. Any ideas what I need to looks for?

Did you activate Input signal plus for the hdmi. It’s connected to under external device manager?
Yeah its selected. All 4 hdmi inputs. Cable maybe? I've tried 2 different hdmi inputs on the TV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Big dead pixel cluster! What are my options?

My 55" Q80R came in today, unboxed it, set it up, turned it on... and dead center of the screen is a gnat-sized dead pixel cluster clearly visible from 8 feet away.

Thoughts? Am I correct that because they're dead (no color, just gray/black) and not stuck, they're always going to be there? Should I exchange right away (unfortunately it was delivered from ABT so it'll have to be shipped back) or is this common? My previous TV had some dead pixel clusters also but they were much less visible unless you were right up on the screen and the screen was white.

1721 - 1740 of 1914 Posts