AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I picked up my 65 Q80 last night from the Delivery warehouse. Took about two hours to take down my Samsung 55 JU7100 (I'm gonna miss her) and put up the Q80. After turning off the options that dim the picture based on room lighting and doing some small tweaks in Standard Mode, I am quite satisfied with the picture.

I watched Survivor with my wife and then switched over to the ACC Tournament on ESPN2. I don't have my LG OLED 65C7P right beside it to compare but man, basketball sure does look pretty on the Q80! This is all with DirecTV Satellite.

I will of course continue to look at other material and tweak some settings here and there but I am very impressed with out of the box picture.

Also, Ambient Mode has some default pictures that make the TV look like a 65 inch piece of art. Were in not for the Soundbar below it, a visitor would be hard pressed to think you have a television on the wall.

Can you test dimming in gaming mode and gaming mode in general? Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm going to ask this in the Q90R thead as well. I just bought the Q70R and right above the Samsung logo and bottom half of the bezel, there is this roughly half-inch strip of material that looks glued on to the screen. It looks awful and I don't know what Samsung was thinking. Does this model also have this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going to ask this in the Q90R thead as well. I just bought the Q70R and right above the Samsung logo and bottom half of the bezel, there is this roughly half-inch strip of material that looks glued on to the screen. It looks awful and I don't know what Samsung was thinking. Does this model also have this?

Can you take a pic of this and upload it here?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No such material on my Q80. Logo, yes; material above, no.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Yes I have it too. It runs the entire length of the TV. TBH, I don't even notice it. Looks to be part of the bezel honestly. My guess is the picture only goes down so far and they needed that tiny extra space for the vents and controls for the TV underneath the set.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Can you test dimming in gaming mode and gaming mode in general? Thanks.
Played Diablo III and Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch. Local Dimming works fine, Blacks are Black. Gaming Mode is fine, reaction time very quick so minimal input lag.

Not bringing the PS4 Pro down, leaving it on the OLED.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Found the first shortcoming, off-angle vertical banding. It is quite severe at 30-45 degrees in SOME content, not ALL. Nowhere near as obvious straight on viewing, almost nonexistent.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yikes. That was the main attraction of this TV for me!
I wouldn't be put off by it. I had some very slight vertical banding on my ju7100 but not severe enough to press the issue with Samsung.

I just played a video on YouTube which goes through the Greyscale, 0-100. At 20% Gray, I see 3 noticeable bands just right of center. At 40% it is negligible. I am satisfied with that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Played Diablo III and Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch. Local Dimming works fine, Blacks are Black. Gaming Mode is fine, reaction time very quick so minimal input lag.

Not bringing the PS4 Pro down, leaving it on the OLED.
Thanks for checking. I will have to wait for next owner then. HDR gaming mode was bad on Q9. I am wondering if it got improved.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yikes. That was the main attraction of this TV for me!
I wouldn't be put off by it. I had some very slight vertical banding on my ju7100 but not severe enough to press the issue with Samsung.

I just played a video on YouTube which goes through the Greyscale, 0-100. At 20% Gray, I see 3 noticeable bands just right of center. At 40% it is negligible. I am satisfied with that.
So this vertical banding was only visible with slides?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So this vertical banding was only visible with slides?
I first noticed it while watching basketball during commercials. I was to the left angle, about 20 feet away. So, I played a YouTube video of Greyscale and saw the banding straight on in front of the TV. Acceptable in my opinion as I have seen much worse and better in my years of looking at LCD/LED sets.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Does the Q80 have the significantly improved wide viewing angle? And what is the current panel version? Usually the Samsung panels are FA01, FA02. Then others use secondary panels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yours doesn't have this line? Someone else replied in this thread saying theirs had it. I'm hoping we aren't dealing with an A stock/B stock situation already.

Take a look at the Samsung stock photos of the Q70 vs either the Q80/90 - it’s apparent that there is a wider line at the bottom of the screen above the Samsung logo on the Q70.

IMG_9756.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Does the Q80 have the significantly improved wide viewing angle? And what is the current panel version? Usually the Samsung panels are FA01, FA02. Then others use secondary panels.
My panel is AA01 and yes, the viewing angle is very wide.

BTW, used to live in Greer for 15 years so Howdy Neighbor!

161 - 180 of 1914 Posts