AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 1909 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
wildgator25's Avatarwildgator25
Ok folks, it took me a minute but I have a calibration to share. As stated before, this was for my TV and may not be of any improvement for your TV.
Picture Mode: Movie (SDR) Backlight: 30 Brightness: 0 Contrast: 45 Sharpness: 10 Color: 25 Tint: 0 Digital Clean View: Auto Auto Motion: Off Local Dimming: Standard Contrast Enhancer: Off Film Mode: Auto2 Color Tone: Warm2 Gamma: 2.2 White Balance (2 pt) R-Gain 1 G-Gain 1 B-Gain 2 R-Offset 1 G-Offset 1 B-Offset 2 White Balance (20 pt) 5% 0/0/-50 10% -15/-25/-50 15% -19/-20/-27 20% -13/-15/-20 25% -7/-9/-14 30% -5/-4/-8 35% -6/-7/-6 40% -5/-7/-6 45% -5/-5/-7 50% -2/-1/-5 55% 0/0/-4 60% 2/4/-1 65% 2/5/1 70% 5/8/4 75% 7/8/6 80% 11/11/11 85% 12/13/14 90% 11/14/14 95% 5/7/7 100% -1/0/1 Color Space: Custom Red 75/50/48 Green 33/50/47 Blue 65/41/50 Yellow 57/50/45 Cyan 26/50/43 Magenta 56/48/54 Picture Mode: Movie (HDR) Backlight: 50 Brightness: 0 Contrast: 50 Sharpness: 10 Color: 25 Tint: 0 Digital Clean View: Auto Auto Motion: Off Local Dimming: High Contrast Enhancer: Low Color Tone: Warm2 Gamma: ST.2084 ST.2084: 0 Color Space: Native White Balance (2 pt) R-Gain 7 G-Gain 0 B-Gain -3 R-Offset 3 G-Offset 2 B-Offset 1 HDR Color Settings: ST.2084: 0 Color Space: Custom Color Gamut BT.2020 Red: 100/5/39 Green: 0/100/70 Blue: 0/75/100 Yellow: 50/50/50 Cyan: 50/50/50 Magenta: 50/50/50 Updated to include HDR Color Space settings. 5/28/19

Hi wildgator
I'm wondering if you still use those settings for hdr?

It's by far the best I've tried but I got 1 question, I haven't been able to sort out the white clipping issues when using contrast enhancer to low, on most movies your setting looks great but I still notice turning the contrast enhancer to off gives the most accurate picture and colour. In fact the picture is better with contrast enhancer off, but I need the picture to be a little brighter without clipping the whites and highlights. For example if you play xmen apocalypse the clouds are visible with contrast enhancer off and colour are more accurate, guardian of the galaxy 2, I so want to use contrast enhancer as the image just pops, but again I get boosted hightlights compared to when I turn off contrast enhancer.

Any solution or it's one of those tv's where I have to live without using contrast enhancer to low to get the most accurate possible picture?

But thanks for the best settings as the colour really is accurate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ok folks, it took me a minute but I have a calibration to share. As stated before, this was for my TV and may not be of any improvement for your TV.
Picture Mode: Movie (SDR) Backlight: 30 Brightness: 0 Contrast: 45 Sharpness: 10 Color: 25 Tint: 0 Digital Clean View: Auto Auto Motion: Off Local Dimming: Standard Contrast Enhancer: Off Film Mode: Auto2 Color Tone: Warm2 Gamma: 2.2 White Balance (2 pt) R-Gain 1 G-Gain 1 B-Gain 2 R-Offset 1 G-Offset 1 B-Offset 2 White Balance (20 pt) 5% 0/0/-50 10% -15/-25/-50 15% -19/-20/-27 20% -13/-15/-20 25% -7/-9/-14 30% -5/-4/-8 35% -6/-7/-6 40% -5/-7/-6 45% -5/-5/-7 50% -2/-1/-5 55% 0/0/-4 60% 2/4/-1 65% 2/5/1 70% 5/8/4 75% 7/8/6 80% 11/11/11 85% 12/13/14 90% 11/14/14 95% 5/7/7 100% -1/0/1 Color Space: Custom Red 75/50/48 Green 33/50/47 Blue 65/41/50 Yellow 57/50/45 Cyan 26/50/43 Magenta 56/48/54 Picture Mode: Movie (HDR) Backlight: 50 Brightness: 0 Contrast: 50 Sharpness: 10 Color: 25 Tint: 0 Digital Clean View: Auto Auto Motion: Off Local Dimming: High Contrast Enhancer: Low Color Tone: Warm2 Gamma: ST.2084 ST.2084: 0 Color Space: Native White Balance (2 pt) R-Gain 7 G-Gain 0 B-Gain -3 R-Offset 3 G-Offset 2 B-Offset 1 HDR Color Settings: ST.2084: 0 Color Space: Custom Color Gamut BT.2020 Red: 100/5/39 Green: 0/100/70 Blue: 0/75/100 Yellow: 50/50/50 Cyan: 50/50/50 Magenta: 50/50/50 Updated to include HDR Color Space settings. 5/28/19

Hi wildgator

It's by far the best I've tried but I got 1 question, I haven't been able to sort out the white clipping issues when using contrast enhancer to low, on most movies your setting looks great but I still notice turning the contrast enhancer to off gives the most accurate picture and colour. In fact the picture is better with contrast enhancer off, but I need the picture to be a little brighter without clipping the whites and highlights. For example if you play xmen apocalypse the clouds are visible with contrast enhancer off and colour are more accurate, guardian of the galaxy 2, I so want to use contrast enhancer as the image just pops, but again I get boosted hightlights compared to when I turn off contrast enhancer.

Any solution or it's one of those tv's where I have to live without using contrast enhancer to low to get the most accurate possible picture?

Contrast Enhancer falsley "enhances" the contrast by over brightening areas (clipping whites) and over darkening other areas (black crush) to give the illusion of more contrast, if you want more detail then leave the setting off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks I've managed to apply the same settings in standard mode, and I think I have a right balance between accurate movie and brighter hdr, it's not as bright as movie mode with contrast enhancer on, but brighter than movie mode with contrast enhancer off.
And less clipping.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Hi wildgator

Contrast Enhancer falsley "enhances" the contrast by over brightening areas (clipping whites) and over darkening other areas (black crush) to give the illusion of more contrast, if you want more detail then leave the setting off.
Thanks and glad you enjoy. Yes, as Squid says, turn off Contrast Enhancer to provide more detail. Other than that, my only difference is Color slider is at 35 instead of 25.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks and glad you enjoy. Yes, as Squid says, turn off Contrast Enhancer to provide more detail. Other than that, my only difference is Color slider is at 35 instead of 25.
Thanks I found using your settings on standard gives me better balance between bright and less clipping when using contrast enhancer to low.

Using movie mode without contrast enhancer for me is not much difference between sdr to hdr.

When I had an older samsung ku6020 which was about 300 nits tv, I've been constantly recommend that I need 1000 nits to enjoy hdr, but I assumed it meant brighter picture but only after purchasing q85r I find out hdr is locked to 100 or 200 nits and only the highlights reach over 1000 nits.
So clearly I was disappointed when I played hdr for the first time. Because my expectations were high .

But your settings on standard mode gave me the balance I needed and to justify watching hdr.

For sdr this tv really does get bright on the whole picture if setting the backlight high, but I get it, it's not supposed to be viewed at that level of brightness but it does look great.

But hdr edges the sdr in black and white level, specially with your settings and I'm finally happy with this tv.

But tv's shouldn't be advertised as 1500 peak brightness when only the highlights reach that and not the overall picture.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Contrast enhancer analyzes incoming frames and creates variances in contrast across different zones of the TV using an algorithm to improve contrast. When I've asked most people whether the picture is better or worse with it enabled/disabled they generally think it looks better enabled. It can cause issues with certain content like you mentioned, but generally it improves more than it harms picture quality. For most people, it looks good on low with SDR content and you could even increase it with HDR content for deeper blacks and more spectacular highlights. It is a personal preference whether you like the effects of this or not.

I haven't been able to sort out the white clipping issues when using contrast enhancer to low, on most movies your setting looks great but I still notice turning the contrast enhancer to off gives the most accurate picture and colour. In fact the picture is better with contrast enhancer off, but I need the picture to be a little brighter without clipping the whites and highlights.
Copying white balance / color space settings isn't recommended as every panel is different. If you really want a "natural" picture you should get your set professionally calibrated. Settings like contrast enhancer allow you to soft of cheat this and get a better picture w/out calibration. It is just as likely that the white balance settings you've copied are causing the clipping because they are not meant for your panel.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Contrast enhancer analyzes incoming frames and creates variances in contrast across different zones of the TV using an algorithm to improve contrast. When I've asked most people whether the picture is better or worse with it enabled/disabled they generally think it looks better enabled. It can cause issues with certain content like you mentioned, but generally it improves more than it harms picture quality. For most people, it looks good on low with SDR content and you could even increase it with HDR content for deeper blacks and more spectacular highlights. It is a personal preference whether you like the effects of this or not.

Copying white balance / color space settings isn't recommended as every panel is different. If you really want a "natural" picture you should get your set professionally calibrated. Settings like contrast enhancer allow you to soft of cheat this and get a better picture w/out calibration. It is just as likely that the white balance settings you've copied are causing the clipping because they are not meant for your panel.

Hi are you saying getting the white balance correct and using low contrast enhancer will clip the whites less than wrong white settings?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi are you saying getting the white balance correct and using low contrast enhancer will clip the whites less than wrong white settings?

Yes it could. You should leave white balance (and custom color space) settings at their default. Only a professional calibrator or someone experienced with calibration equipment should modify those settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
snip...But tv's shouldn't be advertised as 1500 peak brightness when only the highlights reach that and not the overall picture.
It makes perfect sense for TVs to advertise 1500 peak nits if that’s what they can do. Of course only certain scenes require that level of peak brightness. This will blow your mind, most HDR titles actually have a lower average APL compared to their SDR counterparts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello all, I hope someone else has experienced this. Leave my cable box (Arris dcx3510-m) on all the time, but since getting the q80 it powers off my box when I turn on the tv. I disabled the anynet but it still happens. The thing is, it doesnt turn off the box when I turn off the tv, only sends the power function when I turn the tv on.

Any ideas?? Driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is there a setting on cable box itself?

Or you know how when you first connect a device to the tv it detects it and sets up to work with the remote. What if you select manual?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there a setting on cable box itself?

Or you know how when you first connect a device to the tv it detects it and sets up to work with the remote. What if you select manual?
Thank you for the response. No settings within the box itself.

What you suggested I thought about doing. I can’t seem to figure out how to remove the cable box saved in the tv setting. Currently shows spectrum (my provider) and it seems to do that automatically when I unplug and plug the hdmi up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I know that from using a Harmony remote that there is a Power on, Power off, and Power toggle discreet codes for the TV so it's possible they use one of the same codes. I'm pretty sure the TV remote is bluetooth and the Arris is IR so you must be using the Arris remote? Or maybe the TV remote still transmits IR, info is vague so no idea. To isolate if it's the remote, cover the IR on the cable box since it will probably be easy to find, and see if you experience the same thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for the response. No settings within the box itself.

What you suggested I thought about doing. I can’️t seem to figure out how to remove the cable box saved in the tv setting. Currently shows spectrum (my provider) and it seems to do that automatically when I unplug and plug the hdmi up.
What if you just switch the HDMI input it’s plugged into? I thought there was a way to clear inputs but I can’t seem to find it. I swear I came across it messing with the tv when I first got it.

**Found it. If you press home button then go to sources. Highlight the source that is the cable box and press the up button. There is a couple options that show up including universal remote, anynet.**

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know that from using a Harmony remote that there is a Power on, Power off, and Power toggle discreet codes for the TV so it's possible they use one of the same codes. I'm pretty sure the TV remote is bluetooth and the Arris is IR so you must be using the Arris remote? Or maybe the TV remote still transmits IR, info is vague so no idea. To isolate if it's the remote, cover the IR on the cable box since it will probably be easy to find, and see if you experience the same thing.
Funny because I am using a harmony remote, BUT I can confirm this happens if I just turn the tv on using the Samsung remote removing the harmony from the equation.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Funny because I am using a harmony remote, BUT I can confirm this happens if I just turn the tv on using the Samsung remote removing the harmony from the equation.

It would still be worthwhile to cover the IR sensor on the Arris to figure out if it's remote code related or something in the settings for one of them. I'm not sure which Harmony you have but if you have one with a screen like the Elite, and the above test told you it was remote related, then go to devices for the TV and try the Power on and the Power toggle to see if you get the same results for both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What if you just switch the HDMI input it’s plugged into? I thought there was a way to clear inputs but I can’t seem to find it. I swear I came across it messing with the tv when I first got it.

**Found it. If you press home button then go to sources. Highlight the source that is the cable box and press the up button. There is a couple options that show up including universal remote, anynet.**

Well, i thought I had figured it out but was wrong. I was able to remove the "Spectrum" cable box setup. I disabled the AnyNet setting. It still turns the box off.

A couple of items of note, I can't just test one setting and then try something else. I have to wait for an undetermined amount of time before trying each setting. The box doesn't respond the same (staying on when it should) when I make adjustments in a short amount of time. It's only after some time (most of the time over night), is when the box will turn off after turning on the TV.

Also, how or why would it still control the box if I have the universal remote removed and the CEC settings disabled when just using the TV remote? Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, couldn’t find a relevant thread to my specific problem so posted here.

ARC problems with Sony HT-Z9F soundbar and Samsung Q80R Qled TV

Hello,

My soundbar is connected to my tv on arc port. The soundbar loses the connection to tv after a power outage. Once the power comes back on the TV detects the soundbar but no sound comes through it (can’t see the “receiver” option in Settings-Sound output). After switching off both tv and soundbar and removing the hdmi cables for 10 mins (reset) everything starts working fine. Since there is some electrical work going in my neighbourhood the power outage is frequent. The soundbar loses the connection everytime after a power outage and i have to perform the reset thing everytime, which sometimes works and sometimes takes a couple of try’s to get connected. I am not sure if the problem is with tv or soundbar.

Is anyone facing a similar problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sorry, couldn’t find a relevant thread to my specific problem so posted here.

ARC problems with Sony ZF9 soundbar and Samsung Q80R Qled TV

Hello,

My soundbar is connected to my tv on arc port. The soundbar loses the connection to tv after a power outage. Once the power comes back on the TV detects the soundbar but no sound comes through it (can’t see the “receiver” option in Settings-Sound output). After switching off both tv and soundbar and removing the hdmi cables for 10 mins (reset) everything starts working fine. Since there is some electrical work going in my neighbourhood the power outage is frequent. The soundbar loses the connection everytime after a power outage and i have to perform the reset thing everytime, which sometimes works and sometimes takes a couple of try’s to get connected. I am not sure if the problem is with tv or soundbar.

Is anyone facing a similar problem.

Thanks.
It doesn't sound normal but your situation isn't normal. Have you thought of getting a backup power supply? I have one for both my TVs and one for my computer, power is dirty in the best situations and you are hardly in ideal circumstances. When I first purchased my 75" Q9FN a friend of mine put it in a way that resonated with me. "You spent real money on that TV, you're a fool if you don't protect it with a battery backup."

This is what I use x3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00429N19W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1821 - 1840 of 1909 Posts