AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1044 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Until Q900RB's in all screen sizes are in hands of owners we won't know for sure. But, its a pretty safe bet the 2019 models will all have the 2019 upgrades. The HDMI 2.1 issue is muddy at best. What I'd like to know is if it will be a watered down version of HDMI 2.1 or not? Such as, will it have the full spec 48 Gbps or something less?
Well, I decided to check their website again, and it has finally been updated to include the new ultra wide viewing feature, and the new anti-reflective coating which is included I'd assume since that isn't mentioned on anything. The HDMI 2.1 I am not very sure of though. I guess that is something we will have to wait and see about.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wow. AGS is really something else. I called them today to confirm my white glove delivery tomorrow. I got passed around to 3 people and was finally told that they only do white glove on Tuesday and Thursday?

I asked why I was allowed to choose Friday and why the email I received confirmed Friday white glove delivery. The answer was that they would "call" me on Friday to choose a delivery date.

WOW..

So, I politely asked to have it escalated and to forget the white glove and just deliver the thing to my door. Luckily they agreed to do that.

Now to start making the calls... surely free wings+beer will get me some help hauling it upstairs :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow. AGS is really something else. I called them today to confirm my white glove delivery tomorrow. I got passed around to 3 people and was finally told that they only do white glove on Tuesday and Thursday?

I asked why I was allowed to choose Friday and why the email I received confirmed Friday white glove delivery. The answer was that they would "call" me on Friday to choose a delivery date.

WOW..

So, I politely asked to have it escalated and to forget the white glove and just deliver the thing to my door. Luckily they agreed to do that.

Now to start making the calls... surely free wings+beer will get me some help hauling it upstairs /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Good to know. I have white glove scheduled for Monday on a Q90R. I will probably give them a call tomorrow to confirm.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I saw the demo of the 85" today, it was the Q900RA model, which I guess is the 2018 model. I asked some questions regarding e-Arc, model year etc., but since the tv was new, the salesperson went on to Samsung website to look for the info.

Anyways, in regards to the PQ - it is the sharpest looking LCD I've seen. Shadow details are fantastic, and there's depth to the image. I tried a few different modes: Natural was the best looking. Movie was a bit dull and Dynamic is a mode that I will never use.

The 85" is out of my budget, but certainly considering the 75". I'm waiting for LG E9 to be out and I'll decide between various options. After looking at this tv, I find it hard to justify going with a premium 4k LCD.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
In regards to off-angle viewing of the 85", it did washed out slightly - not as bad as a typical LCD. The sharpness of details and colors reminded me of A9F.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered an 82” yesterday from Samsung direct, I live in SoCal. How long do they typically take to arrive? I’m reading horror stories about their delivery partner, hoping I get lucky. Best Buy has them in stock for pickup in 1 hour or next day delivery, would normally do that but I really wanted to get on the 2 year upgrade program Samsung is offering

·
Registered
721 Posts
In regards to off-angle viewing of the 85", it did washed out slightly - not as bad as a typical LCD. The sharpness of details and colors reminded me of A9F.

Now imagine how good that would be with the new black filter and wide viewing angles plus more improvements on the 2019 versions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just got my unit set up in it’s temporary location. Watching “The Expanse” in 4K streamed over an AppleTV. I’m sitting about 8 feet from the screen.

First impressions - the viewing angles are truly remarkable, which is a relief for me as this is in my great room which has seating across the spectrum of viewing angles.

I do not see any trace of backlighting from any angle. I’m not super well versed on black crush or blooming, but on scenes in space with very bright helmet lighting I do not notice any blooming , yet can still see all of the detail and patterning on the very dark neck of the suits.

The way the panel eats reflections is remarkable. Coming from my ZT60 - which I love - but has noticeable glare issues, this TV does an amazing job , however it does it, stopping reflection. Again - really nice seeing as it’s in a room with lots of ambient light. I will say the reflections are more noticeable at severe viewing angle , but only during very dark scenes.

The unit is scorching fast through menus and the one remote is nice - however i am having some weird connectivity issues , probably due to poor spacing on the components as stuff is just kind of set up arbitrarily for now.

For the drawbacks - the opening/set up screen is pure white. I’m surprised Samsung chose this as you can notice DSE. I would not consider it bad, and I don’t notice it on the Penguins / Blue Jackets hockey game I’m switching back to regularly, but the upper left of my panel does seem to have this phenomenon. Not a huge deal to me, but I would say it’s there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just got my unit set up in it’s temporary location. Watching “The Expanse” in 4K streamed over an AppleTV. I’m sitting about 8 feet from the screen.

First impressions - the viewing angles are truly remarkable, which is a relief for me as this is in my great room which has seating across the spectrum of viewing angles.

I do not see any trace of backlighting from any angle. I’m not super well versed on black crush or blooming, but on scenes in space with very bright helmet lighting I do not notice any blooming , yet can still see all of the detail and patterning on the very dark neck of the suits.

The way the panel eats reflections is remarkable. Coming from my ZT60 - which I love - but has noticeable glare issues, this TV does an amazing job , however it does it, stopping reflection. Again - really nice seeing as it’s in a room with lots of ambient light. I will say the reflections are more noticeable at severe viewing angle , but only during very dark scenes.

The unit is scorching fast through menus and the one remote is nice - however i am having some weird connectivity issues , probably due to poor spacing on the components as stuff is just kind of set up arbitrarily for now.

For the drawbacks - the opening/set up screen is pure white. I’m surprised Samsung chose this as you can notice DSE. I would not consider it bad, and I don’t notice it on the Penguins / Blue Jackets hockey game I’m switching back to regularly, but the upper left of my panel does seem to have this phenomenon. Not a huge deal to me, but I would say it’s there.
Any noticeable banding when the soccer game pans when following the action? Have you had a chance to try some 4k vids on it yet, from discs or Youtube?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Unfortunately I don’t have much time to play around tonight as I’ve got an exceptionally early work day tomorrow and the delivery was 90 minutes after the scheduled window (typical).

The ports on the one connect box are not labeled as 2.1 or standard HDMI. The ARC channel is not specified as eARC. If anyone has specifics on how to check further I’d be happy to check.

On a side note - looks to me like the 75” no gap wall mount will fit this unit. I’m going to order one from amazon and if it doesn’t work I’ll return it. On a side note my spouse is in love with the stand - which was an extreme surprise as she despises tv stands , so the aesthetic of that is real nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Any noticeable banding when the soccer game pans when following the action? Have you had a chance to try some 4k vids on it yet, from discs or Youtube?
DirecTV has a 4K broadcast of Man U and Arsenal Sunday morning. I’ll check that out and let you know.

On a separate note - a firmware update seems to have resolved all of my remote issues....which I’m very happy about because that was pissing me off .

The darks on this unit are fantastic. I have no way of measuring but anecdotally they’re as good to my eye as my ZT60- however the brightness is just not even comparable, as expected. The scene in Expanse S3 Episode 1 where they’re burning proto-molecule off the ship - the color and intensity of the flame are incredible .

·
Registered
626 Posts
Great info. I was watching The Expanse as I read your update. That will be one of the first things I check out when mine arrives.

Glad you're having a positive experience!

Reactions: Kenbar

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ok. Mine is 30 minutes out. From there I have to wait on a friend to arrive so he can help me haul it up the stairs.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My TV won't be coming after all. Pilot shipping company called and cancelled by 82" delivery for today because they saw damage to the box, so sent back to Amazon. Oh well...

·
Registered
45 Posts
After reading all the horror stories of delivery companies for Samsung, Best Buy, etc I decided to go pick up my 82” Q900 myself.

I’m replacing a 2014 Samsung Curved 4K TV.

After turning it on, updating the firmware, and setting a few basic settings and watching for 45 min in an extremely bright room, here are my first impressions.

Note, I don’t know every proper setting to optimize this set and would welcome some feedback. I also don’t know what every abbreviation you guys use is but I’m learning.

1. Physical install was easy. The longest hang up I had was trying to find where the feet were for the TV. They are in a holder on the top center (I thought that was part of the wall mount)
2. Speaking of wall mounts, I was pleasantly surprised to find that for $10,000 I got one included. It’s FAR heavier duty than any wall mount I’d have used.
3. I turned auto motion settings to custom, and set both Judder and Blur to level 3. I don’t notice any soap opera effect which I’m usually really sensitive to.
4. It took me a while to get my Apple TV To work correctly. Setting it to match source settings for both Dynamic Range and Frame Rate.
5. I made sure all Eco settings were disabled

The screen is very bright, color is great, and the menu is FAST. Overall I’m really happy with how it looks. I’m not sure I’m $10,000 happy but so far I’ve only watched it in the middle of the day with a ton of ambient light.

I’d be happy to answer questions I can and send pics. I’ve got the evening to play with this.

21 - 40 of 1044 Posts