AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1114 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm investigating getting an 8K set for flight sims but I am confused by the different suffixes. What is the difference between the 55Q900RB vs. the 65Q800TA, other than size? I'm presuming the 65Q900RB will be the same as the 55Q900RB, other than size? In reading ALL of the posts in this thread, I found one post that says the RB suffix means no HDMI 2.1. Also one post that says an R suffix is a 2019 model and a T suffix is a 2020 model. So, are the TA and TS suffixes 2020 models with the HDMI 2.1 and an RB a 2019 model without?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm investigating getting an 8K set for flight sims but I am confused by the different suffixes. What is the difference between the 55Q900RB vs. the 65Q800TA, other than size? I'm presuming the 65Q900RB will be the same as the 55Q900RB, other than size? In reading ALL of the posts in this thread, I found one post that says the RB suffix means no HDMI 2.1. Also one post that says an R suffix is a 2019 model and a T suffix is a 2020 model. So, are the TA and TS suffixes 2020 models with the HDMI 2.1 and an RB a 2019 model without?
Don't buy ANY 8K TV right now! Because nobody knows how inputlag will be in 8K mode on those TVs. My has about 100ms in 8K/60Hz. And nobody cares so far to report those things to get some answers from Samsung or other manufacturers. It still could be coming from official HDMI 2.1 compression... Making 8K officially dead for any gaming.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't buy ANY 8K TV right now! ... My [input lag is] about 100ms in 8K/60Hz. ... Making 8K officially dead for any gaming.
While I agree with you 8k on our sets is a non-starter for fast-twitch games like first person shooters I'm not sure I'd agree with you that "8K officially dead for any gaming" [emphasis mine]. There are lots of type on games where a lag of 100ms isn't a big deal and flight simulators are probably one of those types. I suspect most real-life planes (both fly-by-wire and old-school mechanical linkage) have input lags which makes 100ms look great!

Add to that our 8k sets have pretty fantastic low latencies at 4k 120Hz and can be had super-cheap on Amazon right now and I would say these are great 8k TVs to buy for many types of gaming.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As can be seen from the title of this discussion thread, the Q900R is a 2019 8K model. The Q800T is the most affordable 2020 8K model from Samsung. The two more expensive 2020 models are 900T and 950T.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm pretty sure now that in 8K/60 this TV can't go into Game-Mode. It says it does but Inputlag stays pretty much the same as whiteout Gamemode about 50-100ms.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yup finally been an update! Downloading now
My TV never picks it up directly via auto/manual update lol! My Samsung soundbar, on the other hand, seems to update itself automatically within a few hours after new firmware is released!

I started downloading now to do it via USB, and the download is super slow lol (on my 1G connection where I get ~700 Mbps downloads). It says 1.4 gig file is going to take nearly an hour!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ok, I updated firmware to 1371. Not really sure what changed in this update except for one thing - In the Menu, now there is a new category added "Privacy", after the Support menu. Unless I missed it all these days, this seems to be a new menu item.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I noticed so far in game mode that local dimming has been messed with along with contrast enhanced both seem to be less aggressive which is nice. I wouldn't say fixed but it's better than was

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My TV never picks it up directly via auto/manual update lol! My Samsung soundbar, on the other hand, seems to update itself automatically within a few hours after new firmware is released!

I started downloading now to do it via USB, and the download is super slow lol (on my 1G connection where I get ~700 Mbps downloads). It says 1.4 gig file is going to take nearly an hour!
on both my 4k & now my 8k Qled TVs, rarely got automatic updates (It did once that was not avail for download)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is there still hope for that? Lol
Probably not, but I suspect most of us have figured out our own workarounds.

Just curious... What workaround is everyone using to allow for an 8k video source with lossless audio via a AVR / receiver / sound bar, while still allowing ARC to the AVR to work for the built in apps and other devices connected to the TV? Samsung's decision to put ARC and 8k on separate HDMI inputs makes this difficult.

If you plug your 8k source directly into the TV's 8k HDMI input while plugging in the AVR to the TV's ARC input for ARC, then you won't get lossless audio for your 8k source (or anything else plugged into the TV) because ARC doesn't support it. Not at all acceptable for a fancy and expensive 8k setup. If the TV had EARC then this setup would work fine and would be the way to go.

If you plug your 8k source into an 8k capable AVR then you have to connect the the AVR to the TV's 8k input which doesn't support ARC. If you want ARC as well you'd need to connect your AVR to both the TV's 8k and ARC inputs. There are only a few 8k capable receivers currently available and neither of the ones I tried (Marantz and Denon) support that. Or if you look at it another way the TV doesn't support having the same AVR plugged in on two different inputs.

My solution is to not use the AVR's ARC feature at all. I plug the 8k source into my 8k capable AVR, plug the AVR into the TV's 8k input, plug an HDMI ARC extractor device into the TV's ARC input and connect the ARC extractor device's HDMI audio output to one of the HDMI inputs on my AVR. Kind of complicated but it works well enough. The particular ARC extractor device I use is also an HDMI switch with regular (non-ARC) audio extraction so I can use it to have more HDMI inputs if I need them. As a bonus any device plugged into it gets its full HDMI audio sent to the receiver including lossless formats. Not bad for $50 (ARC extractors are a lot cheaper than EARC extractors).

1081 - 1100 of 1114 Posts