AVS Forum banner
1,101 - 1,120 of 1,911 Posts
Probably not, but I suspect most of us have figured out our own workarounds.

Just curious... What workaround is everyone using to allow for an 8k video source with lossless audio via a AVR / receiver / sound bar, while still allowing ARC to the AVR to work for the built in apps and other devices connected to the TV? Samsung's decision to put ARC and 8k on separate HDMI inputs makes this difficult.

If you plug your 8k source directly into the TV's 8k HDMI input while plugging in the AVR to the TV's ARC input for ARC, then you won't get lossless audio for your 8k source (or anything else plugged into the TV) because ARC doesn't support it. Not at all acceptable for a fancy and expensive 8k setup. If the TV had EARC then this setup would work fine and would be the way to go.

If you plug your 8k source into an 8k capable AVR then you have to connect the the AVR to the TV's 8k input which doesn't support ARC. If you want ARC as well you'd need to connect your AVR to both the TV's 8k and ARC inputs. There are only a few 8k capable receivers currently available and neither of the ones I tried (Marantz and Denon) support that. Or if you look at it another way the TV doesn't support having the same AVR plugged in on two different inputs.

My solution is to not use the AVR's ARC feature at all. I plug the 8k source into my 8k capable AVR, plug the AVR into the TV's 8k input, plug an HDMI ARC extractor device into the TV's ARC input and connect the ARC extractor device's HDMI audio output to one of the HDMI inputs on my AVR. Kind of complicated but it works well enough. The particular ARC extractor device I use is also an HDMI switch with regular (non-ARC) audio extraction so I can use it to have more HDMI inputs if I need them. As a bonus any device plugged into it gets its full HDMI audio sent to the receiver including lossless formats. Not bad for $50 (ARC extractors are a lot cheaper than EARC extractors).
I once pondered the same Questions. And then I came to the realization that I will probably never use the built in apps on Tizen anyway so I really won't need eARC. Would it be nice? Sure, but no big deal to me. Our Q900r doesn't have Av1 support, so it's unlikely that if Netflix or Prime start streaming 8k that we will see it on our TVs OS anyway. You will likely buy an 8k streamer from Amazon, Nvidia, or Apple etc..

You will likely want to obtain an 8k receiver or soundbar anyway if you have two or more devices that will have HDMI 2.1 and need switching (since we only have the one port). Therefore it kind of renders the eARC useless.

I do wonder if our sets have the VRR, ALLM, QFT, and QMS that come along with HDMI 2.1. If we don't get eARC, then we may not likely have these other features. Seems like we could only get the benefit of 4k/120 and 8k/60

I once pondered the same Questions. And then I came to the realization that I will probably never use the built in apps on Tizen anyway so I really won't need eARC. Would it be nice? Sure, but no big deal to me. Our Q900r doesn't have Av1 support, so it's unlikely that if Netflix or Prime start streaming 8k that we will see it on our TVs OS anyway. You will likely buy an 8k streamer from Amazon, Nvidia, or Apple etc..

You will likely want to obtain an 8k receiver or soundbar anyway if you have two or more devices that will have HDMI 2.1 and need switching (since we only ha
I do wonder if our sets have the VRR, ALLM, QFT, and QMS that come along with HDMI 2.1. If we don't get eARC, then we may not likely have these other features. Seems like we could only get the benefit of 4k/120 and 8k/60
I know for fact that this tv has vrr and allm because I use it daily with my Xbox one x with those features on. No clue if it has qms or qft?Pretty sure the device has to support those features as well in order for it to work so will find out with the up coming systems from Sony and Microsoft.

Ok, I updated firmware to 1371. Not really sure what changed in this update except for one thing - In the Menu, now there is a new category added "Privacy", after the Support menu. Unless I missed it all these days, this seems to be a new menu item.
You did not miss it. I checked before I did the update, it was not there.

Still horrible 50ms Inputlag in 8K/60Hz with Game-Mode.
Try and talk to @DestinLegarie on twitter. He's a tech journalist/video game reviewer from IGN with a Q900rb and a 3090, and from his twitter account, didn't post anything negative about playing Doom Eternal at 8k 60 on the set. Hope he has some insight.

1318259290461720576 ( twitter link)

scroll down to oct 2, he has a screen shot of Doom on a Q900rb

++

very interesting video on lag, theres a tool on the 3090 that will tell you what to adjust to get better response

cant believe that there's still no confirmation of 8k youtube on series x or PS5...Im getting a HdHomeRun 4k so that'll do atsc 3.0, now I just need 8k youtube and ill be set. Adding a couple new boxes is much better then getting a new tv:)

Made an EDID (Override) for Samsung Q950R to get back DSR on Nvidia. If you go 8K with Signal Input Plus than NV Driver deactivates DSR. Only if you stay in normal-mode Input on HDMI-4 you can get 4K/120Hz with DSR. And with my modded EDID you can get 4k/120@8K DSR.
First, it's because regular 8K/60Hz mode has horrible 50-100ms Inputlag and those games which can run @8K/120FPS can do it in 120Hz. tablet.inf

for anyone concerned, looks like many people have tested the Q900rb, and it can do everything the manual states...4k 120 HDR 4:4:4/ 8k 60 4:2:0 10 bit HDR and have low input lag at all resolutions.

Can confirm. Just recieved my Denon x2700. And hooked up to my Xbox one x. I was able to upscale 4k to 8k 60 through port 4. Games felt a little worse input lag but not enough that I felt was unplayable. Freesync was off and I was in sdr, as the Denon can't upscale with it on and or HDR. Can't wait for the new systems to be able to play games at 4k hdr 120hz and hopefully pass through native 8k. With that said though 4k sdr upscaled games to 8k look unbelievable!!

Can confirm. Just recieved my Denon x2700. And hooked up to my Xbox one x. I was able to upscale 4k to 8k 60 through port 4. Games felt a little worse input lag but not enough that I felt was unplayable. Freesync was off and I was in sdr, as the Denon can't upscale with it on and or HDR. Can't wait for the new systems to be able to play games at 4k hdr 120hz and hopefully pass through native 8k. With that said though 4k sdr upscaled games to 8k look unbelievable!!
Since you have the ability to compare upscalers, which one does it better, or can you tell the difference? Letting Samsung take the 4k signal and scale it to the 8k display, or using your AVR to do the upscaling?

Mostly just curious since early reporting was that the Samsung upscaler is generally regarded to be pretty good, but I've never heard of anyone really giving a glowing review to an AVRs upscaler.

Since you have the ability to compare upscalers, which one does it better, or can you tell the difference? Letting Samsung take the 4k signal and scale it to the 8k display, or using your AVR to do the upscaling?

Mostly just curious since early reporting was that the Samsung upscaler is generally regarded to be pretty good, but I've never heard of anyone really giving a glowing review to an AVRs upscaler.
Well the thing is through Samsung when you click on the source with the remote in the menu. In the upper right hand corner of screen info appears and tells you the source and resolution the screen is displaying currently . With Samsung I have not had one thing upscale"? But with my AVR reciever I did the same thing when connected to my Xbox at 4k60 and I got the 7xxx by 4xxx signal! In the upper right hand screen info.

I'm new to all this so I don't know the ins and outs how all this works. But I've always wondered and heard the same thing about Samsung's upscaling yet. I personally haven't seen anything get upscaled on my tv? Or again is this being done in the background but why isn't it showing me the 8k signal?

So to answer your question long winded. I have no clue lol. The only 8k content I've seen is with my computer hooked up , the demo at the store and my Denon upscaling to 8k and that all looks beautiful! I have an HD furry diva and integral as well as my Denon receiver all tell me the incoming and outgoing signals and I have not seen one thing get internally upscaled through my tv, unless I'm missing something ?

I've also read somewhere in fine print , I think on Samsung China website for the q900rb that upscaling will only work on "certant content" whatever that means ?

So to answer your question long winded. I have no clue lol. The only 8k content I've seen is with my computer hooked up , the demo at the store and my Denon upscaling to 8k and that all looks beautiful! I have an HD furry diva and integral as well as my Denon receiver all tell me the incoming and outgoing signals and I have not seen one thing get internally upscaled through my tv, unless I'm missing something ?

I've also read somewhere in fine print , I think on Samsung China website for the q900rb that upscaling will only work on "certant content" whatever that means ?
Yes I've read too that the special machine learning upscaling is done on standard mode. It still upscales everything to 8k otherwise it wouldn't fit the screen on every other mode. But even in other modes,I think the pic is rally sharp, like game mode so who knows

As far as the info bar, it just says incoming signal, and the tv upscales as needed. Since it says 8k in the bar, the receiver is outputting a 8k 60 image to the set which is awesome.

Well the thing is through Samsung when you click on the source with the remote in the menu. In the upper right hand corner of screen info appears and tells you the source and resolution the screen is displaying currently . With Samsung I have not had one thing upscale"? But with my AVR reciever I did the same thing when connected to my Xbox at 4k60 and I got the 7xxx by 4xxx signal! In the upper right hand screen info.

I'm new to all this so I don't know the ins and outs how all this works. But I've always wondered and heard the same thing about Samsung's upscaling yet. I personally haven't seen anything get upscaled on my tv? Or again is this being done in the background but why isn't it showing me the 8k signal?
Anything less than 8K displayed on this TV is upscaled to the native resolution of the panel (8K), otherwise it would not display properly on the panel. The TV is always upscaling to 8K to the native resolution of the panel. What you're seeing is the source resolution, not what the TV is doing with it.

1,101 - 1,120 of 1,911 Posts