AVS Forum banner

8541 - 8560 of 8978 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has samsung improved the black color and local dimming algorithm in game mode? Can it handle 4k HDR 60hz rgb444 color when the ps5 comes out? Or should I buy the q95t instead?
May I ask, what u need rgb444 for on a console?
Uncompressed color coding so that the graphics do not deteriorate in any way. One of the great advantages of HDMI 2.1 is that 10bit Hdr 4k 60hz 444rgb and ps5 will also support this. This is a lossless image transfer to the screen!
That's why it's important to me and many more, because we don't want to buy tv every 2 years.

Has the backlight algorithm been fixed in game mode?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi collective mind, I tried to read through all 228 pages but didn't find a same issue... maybe someone knows what to do.

I have a 75Q90R and Marantz SR5014 (2019 year model with 4K, Dolby Vision and eARC), connected properly for ARC with normal AmazonBasics cable. Everything works fine for ARC connection (when I use TV's internal apps), in this case Marantz provides sound as expected. It also shows it's setup, HEOS and other screens when I select HDMI3 input on TV. However Marantz's GUI looks weird with dimming but this is not a problem for now.

Yesterday I've purchased Shield to use it as a Plex player for "heavy" rips with TrueHD, DTS MA and so on. When I connected it to one of Marantz's HDMI ports, Q90R has immediately lost the HDMI signal while sound from the Shield's setup procedure appeared in the receiver's speakers. It was strange. With disconnected Shield, Q90R started to show Marantz's GUI again.

I did a factory reset for Marantz, and Shield's video appeared on TV. 4K SDR, 4K HDR - no problem. Marantz even correctly merged its data into signal (info, sound volume etc.). Ok, I thought that the problem has gone.

In the morning the same issue started again - no video from Marantz at all, neither from setup screen nor from Shield video input. Marantz's web console shows that Shield switched to 1080p/60Hz but no video is sent to the receiver video outputs.

Well I understand that it may looks like Marantz's problem, however there are lot of comments about Samsung's problems with HDMI handshakes so I decided to start from Samsung QLED TVs forum, just in case if someone already faced this problem.

P.S. I also plan to try to test Marantz with "dumb" computer monitor with HDMI input tonight and check if the problem continues. I have no idea what to do next. The only hope is eARC and direct connection of the Shield to the TV.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Deciding between this and the Sony Z9F. Both are on clearance with the Q90 still being a significant amount more. But my main concern is reflection handling. This is for a fairly bright room with lots of windows and lights opposing the set in the kitchen. Watching mostly SDR content during the day and netflix/disney plus at night. I have the Sony at home now, but it's not wowing me. The blooming, which I knew about, is a tad annoying. That and the reflection handling are making me reconsider. Plus it's a bit thicker than the Q90.

Also, for the no-gap wall mount, how much extra height do you need to slide the TV into place? I have a recessed area above my fireplace that is about 35" tall. Plenty wide and 3.5" deep. The TV is 32.7" tall. Will that leave me enough space to engage the locking mechanism and be able to slide the TV into the recess? From the videos I can't tell how much extra room you need or if it's pretty much just a straight back install.
I replaced a Sony 79XBR900 with the 82Q90 in a room much like yours. The Sony was completely washed out during the day, while the Samsung has all it's colors and brightness. I checked out the latest Sony's and their AR coatings seem to be the same as my old XBR, while Samsung's new AR coatings are like nothing else in the past. Just the AR coating, alone, is enough for me to strongly endorse the Samsung. It's super bright and the AR coating really works. NO contest, IMO, in a bright room.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Deciding between this and the Sony Z9F. Both are on clearance with the Q90 still being a significant amount more. But my main concern is reflection handling. This is for a fairly bright room with lots of windows and lights opposing the set in the kitchen. Watching mostly SDR content during the day and netflix/disney plus at night. I have the Sony at home now, but it's not wowing me. The blooming, which I knew about, is a tad annoying. That and the reflection handling are making me reconsider. Plus it's a bit thicker than the Q90.

Also, for the no-gap wall mount, how much extra height do you need to slide the TV into place? I have a recessed area above my fireplace that is about 35" tall. Plenty wide and 3.5" deep. The TV is 32.7" tall. Will that leave me enough space to engage the locking mechanism and be able to slide the TV into the recess? From the videos I can't tell how much extra room you need or if it's pretty much just a straight back install.
I have an 82" and understand yours is smaller and easier to handle. To avoid denting the black bottom strip or touching the panel in any way, I used the Samsung wall mounting kit. Attach the two brackets on the panel before you, or anyone else, attempts to take it out of the box. It's very simple to carry it around by the brackets, up stairs, etc. for a couple people.

My wall mount bracket is about 6.5' high. It's difficult to lift the panel and plug the brackets together in an attempt to hang it. The 82" uses two brackets. I put a very sturdy desk against the wall and premeasured a block of wood on top of the desk that equaled the installed height. With the panel in the box on the floor we simply reached down and grabbed it by the brackets while standing on the desk. We lifted it up on top of the blocks of wood already on the desk. Then we leaned the panel back and allowed the brackets to meet each other and viola it was hung.

For your recess, you won't be able to see the bracket to line things up while installing. I suggest you premeasure and place tape or pencil a line for reference you can see when facing it in order to find the sweet spot. Plugging the panel bracket to the wall bracket is very precise.

Fwiw, I usually take a flashlight to screens to help see defects such as fine scratches that don't show up under normal lighting. Useful during routine cleaning too. If you really want to know how well the anti-reflective is on the Q90, go ahead and try. With the panel off and the light shining inches away, it's all absorbed. You absolutely cannot get it to reflect let alone light up any area on the screen to help hunt for any possible defects, smudges, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has samsung improved the black color and local dimming algorithm in game mode? Can it handle 4k HDR 60hz rgb444 color when the ps5 comes out? Or should I buy the q95t instead?
May I ask, what u need rgb444 for on a console?
Uncompressed color coding so that the graphics do not deteriorate in any way. One of the great advantages of HDMI 2.1 is that 10bit Hdr 4k 60hz 444rgb and ps5 will also support this. This is a lossless image transfer to the screen!
That's why it's important to me and many more, because we don't want to buy tv every 2 years.

Has the backlight algorithm been fixed in game mode?
Are u a professional digital artist or something? Im 99% sure that if i put u in front of a screen and change the rgb444 to 420, that u will not be able to tell which mode was which on a console or movie.

Thats why I asked.

The Q90R btw. supports 4k60 with RGB444 on HDMI4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi collective mind, I tried to read through all 228 pages but didn't find a same issue... maybe someone knows what to do.

I have a 75Q90R and Marantz SR5014 (2019 year model with 4K, Dolby Vision and eARC), connected properly for ARC with normal AmazonBasics cable. Everything works fine for ARC connection (when I use TV's internal apps), in this case Marantz provides sound as expected. It also shows it's setup, HEOS and other screens when I select HDMI3 input on TV. However Marantz's GUI looks weird with dimming but this is not a problem for now.

Yesterday I've purchased Shield to use it as a Plex player for "heavy" rips with TrueHD, DTS MA and so on. When I connected it to one of Marantz's HDMI ports, Q90R has immediately lost the HDMI signal while sound from the Shield's setup procedure appeared in the receiver's speakers. It was strange. With disconnected Shield, Q90R started to show Marantz's GUI again.

I did a factory reset for Marantz, and Shield's video appeared on TV. 4K SDR, 4K HDR - no problem. Marantz even correctly merged its data into signal (info, sound volume etc.). Ok, I thought that the problem has gone.

In the morning the same issue started again - no video from Marantz at all, neither from setup screen nor from Shield video input. Marantz's web console shows that Shield switched to 1080p/60Hz but no video is sent to the receiver video outputs.

Well I understand that it may looks like Marantz's problem, however there are lot of comments about Samsung's problems with HDMI handshakes so I decided to start from Samsung QLED TVs forum, just in case if someone already faced this problem.

P.S. I also plan to try to test Marantz with "dumb" computer monitor with HDMI input tonight and check if the problem continues. I have no idea what to do next. The only hope is eARC and direct connection of the Shield to the TV.
Ok, there's small update on above. I had a little time yesterday to play with all this stuff, but what I did:
1) turned off: on Samsung Q90R - Anynet+, on Marantz - all HDMI settings (no passthrough, no HDMI control, no ARC), Shield - CEC control off.
Shield display output and Marantz GUI appeared, so the issue is not connected to "Enhanced" 4K setting on AVR. With Shield turned off and its input selected, TV says that there is no signal. Ok, it's logical.
2) I turned on ARC in Marantz HDMI settings (passthrough is still off, HDMI control is off) and Anynet+ on TV.
Everything continue to work, simple CEC control also started to work between TV and AVR (sound volume control).

So only two settings was left off: HDMI passthrough and HDMI control. I will do more testing, but it seems that the problem lies beneath one of them, and I bet it is "passthrough".

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ok, there's small update on above. I had a little time yesterday to play with all this stuff, but what I did:

1) turned off: on Samsung Q90R - Anynet+, on Marantz - all HDMI settings (no passthrough, no HDMI control, no ARC), Shield - CEC control off.

Shield display output and Marantz GUI appeared, so the issue is not connected to "Enhanced" 4K setting on AVR. With Shield turned off and its input selected, TV says that there is no signal. Ok, it's logical.

2) I turned on ARC in Marantz HDMI settings (passthrough is still off, HDMI control is off) and Anynet+ on TV.

Everything continue to work, simple CEC control also started to work between TV and AVR (sound volume control).

So only two settings was left off: HDMI passthrough and HDMI control. I will do more testing, but it seems that the problem lies beneath one of them, and I bet it is "passthrough".

The problem could likely be your HDMI cables. I went through several sets from different manufacturers until I landed on Belkin high speed cables. There were all kinds of handshake issues with my ATV4K, Shield, and Denon until I got them. Been rock steady ever since. They are pricey, but at least I’m not going nuts trying to fix anymore. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
82” owners. Did your display have a screen protector on it when you unboxed it? Mine just has the two grey things on the sides but I was expecting a full screen protector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Define screen protector. Do you mean the "plastic" bag thing enveloping the whole panel? If so, my 82 delivered last week had one in addition to the protector strips. If something across the screen only and stuck to it like the strips, no.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I meant like one on a iPhone where you peal it off to a weirdly satisfying feeling haha. My q9fn had one for sure but it’s a 65”.... decided 65” wasn’t big enough. Thanks for the responses guys. I was ready to send this thing back if it had been used already. If I’m paying this much it better be brand freaking new.

·
Vendor
26,619 Posts
I'm just stoked we may actually be getting eArc after all this time.
Great news! If this is the case, my small bet paid off. I waffled between buying the Q80 and Q90. I liked the additional leds used for FALD, and some of the other advantages, but I speculated that the One Connect box would be more likely to receive updates, and that pushed me over the edge.

Looking forward to it. Soon it might be back to speculating about when this might offer advantages for a typical Home Theater....any streaming service able to deliver uncompressed video benefits today?
The 90R is a better TV, it is worth the cost difference in my eye's......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys my bestbuy has a open box in good shape for 1300 at 65 inch and I’m thinking of getting it my main competition is the Q90T because of HDMI 2.1 or the q800t for the same reason. My question is does this Tv have the 4K 60 on HDMI 4 still. Also does it have vrr and no ghosting. If it has those is the only plus to the others 4K 120

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Q90R 75" version when checking for Firmware update it gets to about 87% then I get an error message saying my internet connection is not stable and the Firmware check fails. My internet seems to be working properly because the TV's on-board apps load and play perfectly. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have the Q90R 75" version when checking for Firmware update it gets to about 87% then I get an error message saying my internet connection is not stable and the Firmware check fails. My internet seems to be working properly because the TV's on-board apps load and play perfectly. Any suggestions? Thanks
Mine has done this as well. When I've tried it again it usually works. But not always.

The Samsung update process has always been odd. Sometimes you can do it online, sometimes it won't and you have to go USB. Last time I checked the February update was still shown as current on their website.

I suspect global warming, sun spots or the tooth fairy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine has done this as well. When I've tried it again it usually works. But not always.

The Samsung update process has always been odd. Sometimes you can do it online, sometimes it won't and you have to go USB. Last time I checked the February update was still shown as current on their website.

I suspect global warming, sun spots or the tooth fairy.

Thanks for the info. My current firmware in the USA is 1356 is that correct? I think Samsung's web site still says 1351.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Better upscaling: Q90R or Oppo UDP-203

The title says it all . . . I know it is subjective and I can do my own eyeball comparisons, but is the Q90R's upscaling to 4K considered good . . . especially as compared to my still-alive-and-kicking Oppo UDP-203's upscaling?

Thanks . . .

8541 - 8560 of 8978 Posts