AVS Forum banner

9241 - 9260 of 9634 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
If a PS4 Pro (or PS5) can't output 2560x1440p120, for example, I don't see how any external device is going to fix that.
If the ps5 only outputs 4k120 as a TV mode I'm fairly sure a fury could convert it to the equivalent pc mode for the q90r. Unless of course it's a driver issue preventing the q90r from accepting 4k120 as a TV mode.

I wonder how 4k120 from the 3080 is working on other 2.1 TVs.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So are we saying the TV can't handle 4K 120 10 bit HDR @ 4:2:0 without switching the TV to a PC setting? Can anyone explain why?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If the ps5 only outputs 4k120 as a TV mode I'm fairly sure a fury could convert it to the equivalent pc mode for the q90r.
Ah, I get it, yes, that might work, if the PS5 can output 10-bit 4:2:0; but if it's 4:2:2, is a fury able to down convert to 4:2:0?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So are we saying the TV can't handle 4K 120 10 bit HDR @ 4:2:0 without switching the TV to a PC setting? Can anyone explain why?
That's what the one person we know who's tried it has reported so far. As to why, you'd have to ask Samsung.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Because.... $$$. Isn't that obvious? The entire purpose of the One Connect box when rolled out by Samsung was to give consumers the theoretical capability to upgrade the guts of their display without replacing the entire display itself. Have they ever actually done this since they rolled out the technology? No, never. There has not been a single time that Samsung has released an upgraded One Connect box for legacy displays to add enhanced features, and this will be the case with HDMI 2.1. We will never see an upgraded Q90R One Connect box with HDMI 2.1 on board. Samsung would rather push those features to their new model year lineups and give consumers a reason to upgrade their entire flagship display and spend $10K instead of $300.
Sure they did. My old F9000 in the basement did exactly that. They upgraded the original one connect that came with it to the sek-2500, then the sek-3500. The sek-2500 added hdmi 2.0 to all 4 ports. The original one connect that shipped with it in 2013 didn’t have hdmi 2.0 as it wasn’t standardized yet.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ah, I get it, yes, that might work, if the PS5 can output 10-bit 4:2:0; but if it's 4:2:2, is a fury able to down convert to 4:2:0?
The XBox One X can output 4k 4:2:2. If the Series X has a setting for 4k 4:2:0, would we be covered?

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is from the Samsung.com customer portal forum:

Reactions: Sir Oled

·
Registered
18 Posts
Were you in exclusive fullscreed mode? If not there's a chance you were diplaying a 1440p rendering resolution in a 4k desktop/window (so it actually behaved as a 4k signal for the TV).
You could also press info on the remote if you have it (or press ok, I believe, in the standard remote) to check what signal is the TV receiving. It should show the 1440p resolution.

Does HDR works in windows store games (they are windowed games, not exclusive full screen)? Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, something like that.
I'm asking as with my HDMI 2.0 Vega56 I can activate HDR in full screen games (I tested Destiny 2, it worked), but as I can't activate HDR in the desktop, no HDR in FH4.
I retested gsync in 1440p was able to get the tv in 1440p mode with horizon in full screen, confirmed on the tv menu it was in 1440p this time. It still does not work once it goes into the game the tv just is unable to display the signal.

I don't have those windows store games to test 4k120 hdr but I did have to enable desktop hdr in Windows display settings to get borderlands to work, so I have a feeling they would also work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since the Nvidia control panel can be funky sometimes, could you try first selecting UltraHD (not PC) resolution [email protected] 8-bit 4:2:0, apply that, and then look in the Refresh rate drop-down to see that 120Hz is not available? And then do the same thing for [email protected] 10-bit 4:2:0.

When you say "go outside of display range", do you mean you were able to select UltraHD resolution [email protected] 12-bit RGB in the Nvidia control panel, but when applying it the Q90R lost signal?
I have tried to select the ultra hd resolution first in different configurations, nothing I have tried has enabled me to select 120hz there at 4k. The only way to get into 4k 120hz so far for me is to go to pc resolution 420 then I can select either 8bpc or 10bpc, 10bpc needs to be selected for hdr to work even in titles like destiny where you don't have to enable it through Windows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While we're all firing questions at you.

Can you run 4K120 HDR with game mode off, cap the game to 60fps and let me know what input lag feels like. It should feel as responsive as game mode.

I'm curious if the other HDMI 2.1 TVs work with UHD 4K120 from the 3080 or if that is also PC res only.
Just tested this with destiny 2 4k120hdr, it's pretty close when you cap the game at 60fps but game mode is still slightly better as well as pc mode is better then regular. I then tested all 3 modes without the frame cap at 120fps and the difference is more noticeable but still its not bad in regular mode. I would still prefer game mode or maybe a compromise using pc mode.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Because.... $$$. Isn't that obvious? The entire purpose of the One Connect box when rolled out by Samsung was to give consumers the theoretical capability to upgrade the guts of their display without replacing the entire display itself. Have they ever actually done this since they rolled out the technology? No, never. There has not been a single time that Samsung has released an upgraded One Connect box for legacy displays to add enhanced features, and this will be the case with HDMI 2.1. We will never see an upgraded Q90R One Connect box with HDMI 2.1 on board. Samsung would rather push those features to their new model year lineups and give consumers a reason to upgrade their entire flagship display and spend $10K instead of $300.
This isn't exactly true. While I agree the One Connect box is never going to see an upgrade it was never planned with future proofing in mind in the first place, nor was it ever advertised as such. It is frustrating that this is the case because in theory this COULD actually be upgraded since the fiber optic link from the OC box to the panel is actually 40Gbps.

Samsung did indeed allow for certain models of their sets to be upgraded in the past. It was called the Evolution Kit instead of the One Connect box. The concept was similar to the OC box but it was designed specifically to be upgraded over time, but they haven't released an EK enabled TV in several years.

Reactions: Jerod Keller

·
Registered
111 Posts
I retested gsync in 1440p was able to get the tv in 1440p mode with horizon in full screen, confirmed on the tv menu it was in 1440p this time. It still does not work once it goes into the game the tv just is unable to display the signal.

I don't have those windows store games to test 4k120 hdr but I did have to enable desktop hdr in Windows display settings to get borderlands to work, so I have a feeling they would also work.
I can't thank you enough for your testings. It's so precious for us pc gamers that can't find a card.

Could you please try the new hotfix drivers, they adress the specific gsync black screen issue (I wasn't aware there was this issue). Thanks a lot.
The hotfix addresses the following issues:
  • Launching a game in full screen mode may trigger a black screen on adaptive sync monitors if G-SYNC is enabled

To recap an clarify, what I believe is important to know (unfortunately Nvidia said nothing about it):
  • is Nvidia VRR working as a whole now on this TV? It didn't work before with Turing cards. It means not just gsync on in the control panel, but no actual ingame tearing when FPS dips under 120fps. Resolution is not important for this test. If VRR works, 1440p should be supported (it's supported using Freesync)
  • if so, does it work with a 4k/120hz resolution too? That wasn't supported before wtih HDMI 2.0 Amd cards, it would be glorious.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know too much about them tbh but browsing the manual they support type conversion and chroma conversion.

I have so many questions about all of this!
  • Is there actually a TV variant of 4K120 10bit 420? There's no TV variant of 4K120 8bit 420, right? I know it's not available on my HDMI 2.0b GTX1080.
  • Do the HDMI 2.1 OLEDs work with 4K120 10bit TV mode?
  • Do PC monitors only support PC resolutions? I imagine consoles work on those.
  • Can the EDID on the Q90R be read to determine if it supports TV variant 4K120 and perhaps point to an nvidia driver bug?
  • Can creating custom resolutions help here?
  • Why do I still not have my 3080?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Someone on the uk forum mentions they have a pc monitor that only supports 4k60 as a pc resolution and the XB1X will happily lock onto 4K60 if you set it to AUTO, which suggests the consoles can use pc variants of each resolution.

·
Vendor
27,989 Posts
So long story short, the One Connect box for the q90r should be HDMI 2.1 capable. BUT, you cannot just swap boxes. And Samsung had only committed to enabling HDMI 2.1 for the 900r.
That stinks....... Ya know when they do open that up there will probably be a wave of issues, that is why they do not open it for the 90r......

9241 - 9260 of 9634 Posts