AVS Forum banner

9741 - 9760 of 9821 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
So, I have the 85" Q90R on 1372 in the US and just got an RTX 3080 yesterday.
Did you have your 85" Q90R custom made because they weren't manufactured in that size afaik?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I've got a 3080 now, in a brand new PC that's never previously been connected to a Q90R, so hopefully ruling out any possible oddity from improperly cached registry entries. I've only had time to install two games and do a bit of testing so far. Curiously, I've had one success: I'm able to run Warframe at [email protected] HDR 10-bit 4:4:4 with G-Sync enabled on port 4. I've enabled the NCP G-SYNC Compatible Indicator, and the "G-SYNC ON" status box displays while playing. I get failure trying that game at [email protected] HDR 10-bit 4:2:0, though. I've also tried a different game, and it fails at [email protected] SDR 8-bit RGB with G-Sync on port 4. I think a couple people have mentioned getting black screens, but I'm mostly seeing the Q90R report loss of signal.

One thing I don't recall being mentioned before, 4:2:2 chroma options are no longer present with my 3080. 10-bit 4:4:4 has been added, so the lack of 4:2:2 isn't really a problem, but I wonder why 4:2:2 has disappeared.

·
Registered
17,113 Posts
Ain't been in here since early last year.

Just picked up the HD Fury Diva. This gives you low latency Dolby Vision, Atmos, and eArc. Haven't hooked it up yet. But from what I've heard, the high price is worth it.

82Q90*X4200*55OledC8*Oppo 203/Panasonic 820*Note10+

·
Registered
29 Posts

Just picked up the HD Fury Diva. This gives you low latency Dolby Vision, Atmos, and eArc. Haven't hooked it up yet. But from what I've heard, the high price is worth it.

Does that support 120hz and VRR etc?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts

It's a swiss army knife of AV features. You'll have fun playing with it.

Good to see you man. Hope all is well.

Reactions: ray0414

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Does that support 120hz and VRR etc?
Limited to 4K/60. I don't believe it has VRR, but it's possible that this is supported on a more recent firmware than I have installed.

Reactions: crowlaw and ray0414

·
Registered
17,113 Posts
It's a swiss army knife of AV features. You'll have fun playing with it.

Good to see you man. Hope all is well.
You're always 1 step ahead ;)

Assuming you've got some good experience with this. Does it improve black levels at all? Being different Metadata may change how the backlight reacts, particularly with Netflix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All hope is lost.
Hi, I have a qe65q85r, the one with the oneconnect box, and after 1374 update I've got Dolby Atmos on my hw-q70r soundbar directly from the TV. I use a Nvidia shield tv for all content, and before this update, if I wanted Dolby atmos the shield had to be connected directly to the soundbar.

So I think we finally got earc, or am I wrong?

Hint, you have to enable Dolby digital plus on the tv for this to work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I have a qe65q85r, the one with the oneconnect box, and after 1374 update I've got Dolby Atmos on my hw-q70r soundbar directly from the TV. I use a Nvidia shield tv for all content, and before this update, if I wanted Dolby atmos the shield had to be connected directly to the soundbar.

So I think we finally got earc, or am I wrong?

Hint, you have to enable Dolby digital plus on the tv for this to work.
Ive always been able to get dolby atmos from the tv via prime and netflix apps etc using my av receiver using dd+ in the tv settings, no 1374 did not give us eARC. If i were to try and get dolby atmos from an external source, i.e ps4, xbox or 4k player, if using ARC, it will not work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive always been able to get dolby atmos from the tv via prime and netflix apps etc using my av receiver using dd+ in the tv settings, no 1374 did not give us eARC. If i were to try and get dolby atmos from an external source, i.e ps4, xbox or 4k player, if using ARC, it will not work.
As I said, I'm not using the tv apps. I use an external source, an nvidia shield tv, and it's the first time I've been able to get dolby atmos this way nvidia shield tv => tv => soundbar. Until now I was only getting Dolby Atmos doing nvidia shield tv => sound bar => tv.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I said, I'm not using the tv apps. I use an external source, an nvidia shield tv, and it's the first time I've been able to get dolby atmos this way nvidia shield tv => tv => soundbar. Until now I was only getting Dolby Atmos doing nvidia shield tv => sound bar => tv.
Im on fw 1372, have nvidia shield connected to one connect box, and soundbar connected to arc. I get dolby atmos on Nvidia shield and you should of aswell. But its lossy dolby atmos, what earc gives is lossless. You will still need to connect nvidia shield directly to soundbar to get lossless dolby atmos

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im on fw 1372, have nvidia shield connected to one connect box, and soundbar connected to arc. I get dolby atmos on Nvidia shield and you should of aswell. But its lossy dolby atmos, what earc gives is lossless. You will still need to connect nvidia shield directly to soundbar to get lossless dolby atmos
Ok, so I'm wrong. Thank you for the explanation, my soundbar doesn't inform if the audio is lossless or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a 3080 now, in a brand new PC that's never previously been connected to a Q90R, so hopefully ruling out any possible oddity from improperly cached registry entries. I've only had time to install two games and do a bit of testing so far. Curiously, I've had one success: I'm able to run Warframe at [email protected] HDR 10-bit 4:4:4 with G-Sync enabled on port 4. I've enabled the NCP G-SYNC Compatible Indicator, and the "G-SYNC ON" status box displays while playing. I get failure trying that game at [email protected] HDR 10-bit 4:2:0, though. I've also tried a different game, and it fails at [email protected] SDR 8-bit RGB with G-Sync on port 4. I think a couple people have mentioned getting black screens, but I'm mostly seeing the Q90R report loss of signal.

One thing I don't recall being mentioned before, 4:2:2 chroma options are no longer present with my 3080. 10-bit 4:4:4 has been added, so the lack of 4:2:2 isn't really a problem, but I wonder why 4:2:2 has disappeared.
Interesting that you have G-sync partially working with HDMI4 port. Still if 4k/120hz doesn't work you might as well test other HDMI ports if they work for you at different resolutions and 60/120hz refresh rates. With HDMI2 port I have G-sync working perfectly but it doesn't support 4k/120hz which I think would be the best experience as 60hz G-sync range is only 48-60hz with Q90R compared to 20-120hz range when refresh rate is set to 120hz.

Good point about the the black screen / no signal. My original post about this was worded incorrectly. With black screen I meant I get no signal message from Q90R. I'll update my original post as well.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Interesting that you have G-sync partially working with HDMI4 port. Still if 4k/120hz doesn't work you might as well test other HDMI ports if they work for you at different resolutions and 60/120hz refresh rates. With HDMI2 port I have G-sync working perfectly but it doesn't support 4k/120hz which I think would be the best experience as 60hz G-sync range is only 48-60hz with Q90R compared to 20-120hz range when refresh rate is set to 120hz.
I wouldn't want to be playing a game below 48fps anyway, but yeah, and I'll want to try to compare some HDR games at 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 to see if there's any noticeable difference.

One other problem, yesterday I had a couple of instances where HDMI 4 stopped working altogether. Each time it occurred while the PC was booting, which makes me wonder if it's some handshake interaction between the 3080 and the Q90R, as I've never seen this kind of problem before. In fact, once yesterday, booting on HDMI 4 apparently caused all four HDMI ports to stop working (internal apps still worked); pulling power to the OCB fixed it.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I wouldn't want to be playing a game below 48fps anyway, but yeah, and I'll want to try to compare some HDR games at 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 to see if there's any noticeable difference.

One other problem, yesterday I had a couple of instances where HDMI 4 stopped working altogether. Each time it occurred while the PC was booting, which makes me wonder if it's some handshake interaction between the 3080 and the Q90R, as I've never seen this kind of problem before. In fact, once yesterday, booting on HDMI 4 apparently caused all four HDMI ports to stop working (internal apps still worked); pulling power to the OCB fixed it.
Jusy for grins you may want to disable Windows fast boot and see if that resolves the issue at startup.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Jusy for grins you may want to disable Windows fast boot and see if that resolves the issue at startup.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I didn't keep notes, so I could be misremembering, but I think it happened at least once during a Restart (vs a cold boot), and I gather fast boot doesn't affect Restart.

·
Registered
314 Posts

I have some more suggestions based on some additional testing. I've found that changing video modes after boot-up can lead to issues. To minimize this, I've gone to the NVCP to force a 120Hz refresh rate and also to disable any scaling. I think this will help the TV stay at 4K/120 at all times. Another approach is any time a new game is installed, load it, set it to 4K/120 in the game settings, and then exit and reboot.

Also, to prevent mode changes when changing to HDR, you need to manually set 4:2:0/10-bit in the NVCP as well (otherwise, I think it switches to 8-bit when HDR is turned off).

If I boot up in 4K/120/4:2:0/10-bit (in addition to everything I mentioned in my earlier post, around having GSync and Game mode already enabled), I seem to always be able to get the pendulum demo to work with GSync.

The above approach may not work for those of you who need better than 4:2:0 color for non-gaming situations, unfortunately, as switching between those modes seems to be a problem.

9741 - 9760 of 9821 Posts