AVS Forum banner

9761 - 9780 of 9804 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Jusy for grins you may want to disable Windows fast boot and see if that resolves the issue at startup.
So trying to test what @voyager6868 posted, I disabled fast boot, engaged Game mode with Freesync Ultimate, configured NCP for [email protected] 10-bit 4:2:0 G-Sync, Windows for HDR, and did a Restart, and all four HDMI ports stopped working. Using a remote to turn the Q90R off and back on didn't help, I had to pull power to the OCB again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So trying to test what @voyager6868 posted, I disabled fast boot, engaged Game mode with Freesync Ultimate, configured NCP for [email protected] 10-bit 4:2:0 G-Sync, Windows for HDR, and did a Restart, and all four HDMI ports stopped working. Using a remote to turn the Q90R off and back on didn't help, I had to pull power to the OCB again.
Sorry that didn't work. I'm going to play around more with the setup tonight and see if I find anything more. I've also found that some cables cause strange behaviors, so that's a possibility.

If it's any consolation, I also have a Q80T, and there are even bigger issues with it working properly with the 3080. So I predict some future firmware updates for both the Q80T and Q90R will help with this too.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry that didn't work.
Well, aside from having to power-cycle the OCB, it sort of worked in the sense that both Pendulum and Warframe then ran at [email protected] 10-bit 4:2:0 with G-Sync. Red Dead Redemption 2 didn't work for me, however. And it seems to be repeatable for me that if I reboot in that configuration, all four HDMI ports stop working.

I'm not sure I'm up right now for more messing around with this G-Sync problem. Just need to decide if I give up G-Sync or [email protected]

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
As a follow-up to a comment I previously made, using a 3080, here are the formats offered for [email protected]:

Port 4
RGB 8/10-bit Full/Limited
YCbCr 4:4:4 8/10-bit
YCbCr 4:2:0 8/10-bit

Port 1
RGB 8-bit Full/Limited
YCbCr 4:4:4 8-bit
YCbCr 4:2:2 8/10/12-bit
YCbCr 4:2:0 8/10/12-bit

Seems very odd that all of 4:2:2 and 12-bit 4:2:0 are getting dropped on Port 4.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
You're always 1 step ahead ;)

Assuming you've got some good experience with this. Does it improve black levels at all? Being different Metadata may change how the backlight reacts, particularly with Netflix.

82Q90*X4200*55OledC8*Oppo 203/Panasonic 820*Note10+
Sorry, not sure how I missed this when I checked my alerts this morning. I don't use my HDFury devices much anymore, but that is more due to a personal disagreement with HDFury than any technical issues. Prior to that it was a blast to tinker with and I have to admit I'm a little sad to shelve it.

I never tried using it to monkey with black levels but I wouldn't be shocked if it could do it. I think I even have an idea of how you could make that happen playing with the metadata when watching Dolby Vision content, but I would expect getting that up and running would be somewhat complicated by the Q90R's non defeatable tone mapping.

Beyond that the thing never ceased to amaze me with it's functionality. It's an upscaler, downscaler, HDR converter, matrix splitter, lag tester, ambilight enabler, and audio extractor...all rolled into one. It even has IP control via a built in webserver, and has a spectacular build quality that rivals the best AV gear I've ever had the pleasure of working with. I wouldn't call it strictly necessary but it is unique and it definitely appealed to my inner nerd. For <$500 it's a steal.

Reactions: ray0414

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have some more suggestions based on some additional testing. I've found that changing video modes after boot-up can lead to issues. To minimize this, I've gone to the NVCP to force a 120Hz refresh rate and also to disable any scaling. I think this will help the TV stay at 4K/120 at all times. Another approach is any time a new game is installed, load it, set it to 4K/120 in the game settings, and then exit and reboot.

Also, to prevent mode changes when changing to HDR, you need to manually set 4:2:0/10-bit in the NVCP as well (otherwise, I think it switches to 8-bit when HDR is turned off).

If I boot up in 4K/120/4:2:0/10-bit (in addition to everything I mentioned in my earlier post, around having GSync and Game mode already enabled), I seem to always be able to get the pendulum demo to work with GSync.

The above approach may not work for those of you who need better than 4:2:0 color for non-gaming situations, unfortunately, as switching between those modes seems to be a problem.
I´m on Firmware 1374 [email protected] HDR 10-bit 4:2:0 G-Sync Q90R Nvidia 3090 and i can confirm it works
I have Testet Pendulum Demo and Cyberpunk 2077 and both show on the left side G-sync ON for the first Time
(Sorry for my bad english ^^) 1.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't want to be playing a game below 48fps anyway, but yeah, and I'll want to try to compare some HDR games at 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 to see if there's any noticeable difference.

One other problem, yesterday I had a couple of instances where HDMI 4 stopped working altogether. Each time it occurred while the PC was booting, which makes me wonder if it's some handshake interaction between the 3080 and the Q90R, as I've never seen this kind of problem before. In fact, once yesterday, booting on HDMI 4 apparently caused all four HDMI ports to stop working (internal apps still worked); pulling power to the OCB fixed it.
100% agreed about the fps. Actually the only instance with a 3080 I've so far seen is Cyberpunk 2077 dips below 48fps in graphically heavy areas. Other games seem to run pretty much locked 60fps and higher.

The Q90R HDMI handshake problem is my suspicion as well. It is weird that some people report having 4k/120hz with G-sync working and others have it working partially and some not at all.

I have some more suggestions based on some additional testing. I've found that changing video modes after boot-up can lead to issues. To minimize this, I've gone to the NVCP to force a 120Hz refresh rate and also to disable any scaling. I think this will help the TV stay at 4K/120 at all times. Another approach is any time a new game is installed, load it, set it to 4K/120 in the game settings, and then exit and reboot.

Also, to prevent mode changes when changing to HDR, you need to manually set 4:2:0/10-bit in the NVCP as well (otherwise, I think it switches to 8-bit when HDR is turned off).

If I boot up in 4K/120/4:2:0/10-bit (in addition to everything I mentioned in my earlier post, around having GSync and Game mode already enabled), I seem to always be able to get the pendulum demo to work with GSync.
Very interesting workaround. I'll have to test this as well!

Let's hope Samsung fixes this issue with future updates though given their track record there isn't much hope for that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think at this point it is just a waiting game for additional firmware updates for the TV, driver updates for graphics cards, and software updates for the PS5. It truly seems the hardware is capable, but something is just not letting it mesh exactly correctly. I'd lean toward it being a PS5 issue in its case (likely not wanting to enable 120 at 4:2:0 or such). In the end, if it isn't sorted, hopefully something like an HDFury or better AVR HDMI 2.1 support may act as an intermediary to present things in a palatable way. If willing to buy a new OCB, should be willing to by a similarly priced item to fix the same issue.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, aside from having to power-cycle the OCB, it sort of worked in the sense that both Pendulum and Warframe then ran at [email protected] 10-bit 4:2:0 with G-Sync. Red Dead Redemption 2 didn't work for me, however. And it seems to be repeatable for me that if I reboot in that configuration, all four HDMI ports stop working.

I'm not sure I'm up right now for more messing around with this G-Sync problem. Just need to decide if I give up G-Sync or [email protected]
I'

I tried this out some more last night. I tried around 15 games when GSync would matter and only 2 had issues. These were RDR2 (like you) and Control.
For Control, I simply had to change to Borderless mode (this can be done in Geforce Experience for an individual game by clicking the tool icon next to Optimize after selecting the game)
For RDR2, I did the same thing. I also seemed to have to change from Vulcan to DirectX12 mode, but may not be necessary (I also clicked "Optimize" for RDR2 in Geforce experience before making these changes--may or may not be needed).

Also, I rebooted a couple times and had no issues at boot up.
Not sure if it matters, but I'm using the nVidia drivers that were just released yesterday.
This is the cable I'm using, which has a reasonable price:

I turned on the GSync indicator in the NVCP and verified every game I tried engaged GSync mode.
Overall, very happy with the result, especially since I had no expectations of either GSync or 4K/120/10-bit ever working back when I bought it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
retried the gsync pendulum test with game mode and freesync ultimate enabled on my rtx 3090 and when i run the pendulum test in full screen i get a black screen and then mode not supported however i noticed that there is a pendum configuration shortcut also and it gives you the option to run it in a windowed mode and when i do that the test runs perfect and gsync is engaged gonna try it in some games and see what happens

·
Registered
12 Posts
retried the gsync pendulum test with game mode and freesync ultimate enabled on my rtx 3090 and when i run the pendulum test in full screen i get a black screen and then mode not supported however i noticed that there is a pendum configuration shortcut also and it gives you the option to run it in a windowed mode and when i do that the test runs perfect and gsync is engaged gonna try it in some games and see what happens
So you have enabled from "NVCP / Set up G-sync" the option "Enable for windowed and full screen mode"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So you have enabled from "NVCP / Set up G-sync" the option "Enable for windowed and full screen mode"?
i have that option enabled yes but what i was meaning is the gsync pendulum demo has a configuration app that lets u untick the full screen option and when i run the demo after this in windowed mode it runs flawless with gsync activated at 4k 120hz fressync ultimate on in game mode

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a question about HDR10+ playback. My setup is a Panasonic UB9000 UHD blu-ray player with the audio connected to a Denon X3400H Receiver and the video connected via HDMI to port 1 on the Samsung One Connect Box. When I play an HDR10+ UHD Blu-ray JAWS the Panasonic player shows HDR10+ however on the Samsung Q90R info bar and picture mode icon it only shows standard HDR. Am I doing something wrong in order for the TV to display HDR10+ also? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a question about HDR10+ playback. My setup is a Panasonic UB9000 UHD blu-ray player with the audio connected to a Denon X3400H Receiver and the video connected via HDMI to port 1 on the Samsung One Connect Box. When I play an HDR10+ UHD Blu-ray JAWS the Panasonic player shows HDR10+ however on the Samsung Q90R info bar and picture mode icon it only shows standard HDR. Am I doing something wrong in order for the TV to display HDR10+ also? Thank you for any help.
You have the HDR10+ setting enabled on the Panasonic, right? Do you get HDR10+ output with other discs?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I'm not sure but I'll pop in Jaws whrn I get home this evening and let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I do get the HDR10+ icon on the top info banner with Jaws. In smarthub when looking at the picture mode icon it only shows HDR. This is the same behavior I see on other HDR10+ discs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do get the HDR10+ icon on the top info banner with Jaws. In smarthub when looking at the picture mode icon it only shows HDR. This is the same behavior I see on other HDR10+ discs.
I did not even get the HDR10+ logo in the banner. The only HDR10+ notification I got was through my Panasonic blu-ray player which made me wonder if the TV was even decoding HDR10+.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did not even get the HDR10+ logo in the banner. The only HDR10+ notification I got was through my Panasonic blu-ray player which made me wonder if the TV was even decoding HDR10+.
I had the same thing with my panasonic player, pretty sure that happened to me when i had 12bit colour selected instead of 10bit, also, 12bit gave me a lot of colour banding, in the sky usually. So when 12bit was selected, the player showed hdr10+ but the tv info bar stated hdr10 only, change to 10bit and it sorted it all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same thing with my panasonic player, pretty sure that happened to me when i had 12bit colour selected instead of 10bit, also, 12bit gave me a lot of colour banding, in the sky usually. So when 12bit was selected, the player showed hdr10+ but the tv info bar stated hdr10 only, change to 10bit and it sorted it all.
Thank you that did the trick.

9761 - 9780 of 9804 Posts