AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting this as a secondary TV. Nobody made an owner's thread and the price dropped recently so here we go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I came across this review by PC Magazine. They rated it highly on color accuracy and contrast, but dinged it for mediocre brightness.
Just how big of a deal is the brightness problem you think?

I'm heavily eyeballing this model because I like Samsung sets and I need a new 75 incher.

I saw the unit in Best Buy and it looks fantastic for the price. Of course it doesn't have FALD, but with that contrast ratio the blacks looked as deep as the QLEDs on display.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came across this review by PC Magazine. They rated it highly on color accuracy and contrast, but dinged it for mediocre brightness.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/368165/samsung-un65ru8000fxza
So I picked up the 65 inch yesterday with a discount on top of the recent price drop as well as 60 day price protection. I thought I got a great deal but I noticed what they noticed in this article: the picture is on the dim side in movie mode. However, I noticed this snippet from that article, which I can confirm to be absolutely true.
You can bump that contrast up to 14,687:1 in Dynamic picture mode, which pushes peak brightness up to 440.61cd/m2 and black level down to 0.03cd/m2, but this will unacceptably harm color accuracy, since the mode doesn't enable the Warm1 or Warm2 color temperature presets.
This turned out to be GREAT for me since I actually do NOT like the Warm1 or Warm2 presets. They make the picture too yellow, in my opinion. As soon as I switched to the Dynamic mode, the picture got acceptably bright and the black level indeed got even lower. This seems to be the only way to optimize this set right now. I continued by turning off all the auto picture settings, and lowering the color setting to a reasonable setting with the AV709 test patterns and TV content filmed during the daytime. The color probably isn't 100% accurate, but it's pretty accurate to my eyes, and getting a brighter panel with a lower black level is worth it.

After these tweaks, I can now comfortably say that this panel was definitely worth my money. I didn't find any panel defects with the AV709 patterns, either. However, I advise that nobody buy it until the price drops to $1000 which is what I got it for with the recent price drop and discount. I was going to get the NU8000 due to the advice here and elsewhere, but they only had open box sets since people rushed to buy it and the price difference after the salesperson discounted it further was worth getting a brand new, sealed box.

·
Registered
477 Posts
So I picked up the 65 inch yesterday with a discount on top of the recent price drop as well as 60 day price protection.
[snipped for brevity]
After these tweaks, I can now comfortably say that this panel was definitely worth my money. I didn't find any panel defects with the AV709 patterns, either. However, I advise that nobody buy it until the price drops to $1000 which is what I got it for with the recent price drop and discount.
Congrats on being the first owner in this thread! As far as I know, this is a VA panel without any particular "wide angle" tech (like the much higher end Q80/90, or X950G) so I'm guessing it has the usual viewing angle limitations past about 20 degrees--but I'm curious if you feel like the viewing angles are reasonable with your set?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but I'm curious if you feel like the viewing angles are reasonable with your set?
I wasn't going to spend more than $1000 so I knew what I was getting into. The seating area is right in front of the TV and nowhere else so the limited viewing angles aren't really an issue. Even at 30 degrees off to the side the picture is suitably viewable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
thinking of picking one of these up. I have a TCL p607 right now, and the 4k sub pixel issues in games are driving me nuts. I had a KS 8000 a while back that had screen blinking or HDMI issues, I;m hoping this set wouldn't have that issue. I'm a bit leery about the brightness levels in this set.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thinking of picking one of these up. I have a TCL p607 right now, and the 4k sub pixel issues in games are driving me nuts. I had a KS 8000 a while back that had screen blinking or HDMI issues, I;m hoping this set wouldn't have that issue. I'm a bit leery about the brightness levels in this set.
I would say the only issue this set has with brightness are in regards to HDR movies. It's unacceptably dim for HDR movies. Everything else is bright enough, and this set excels at gaming.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the 82 inch NU8000 and had it exchanged for the same size RU8000. The NU8000 had severe back light bleed and flash lighting in the corners but other than that it was OK :rolleyes:. I am much happier with the RU8000. The black levels are better and it is more responsive (menus, connectivity, etc). Yes, it is slightly dimmer but hardly noticeable for our watching purposes and HDR is not the best but OK. I would get the 80R or 90R or LG C9 if HDR is a priority and not an edge lit TV. In general, I think it is a good value.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just ordered a 75" to be delivered tomorrow. Picture looked pretty good in the BB. I could see a difference between it and the Samsung QLEDs that were next to it but they were so close that I would never be able to justify the price difference. Granted, I'm old and my vision is garbage but I think I'm going to be very happy. Of course, the TV I'm replacing is a 720P 50" Panasonic Plasma I bought in 2007 so this is a fairly significant upgrade for me. :)

Reactions: Panson

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered 65" RU8000. Should be delivered in about one week. Had 55KU6290 & 55KU6490, and 40MU6300. Didn't really like the 60hz and its weaker motion interpolation. Really looking forward to 120hz & better motion. In dark room, I'm sure brightness will be OK watching 4K HDR movies. First time having wide color gamut too.
Been very interested to check out [email protected] with my PC (6700k / Strix GTX 1070), looks fun to play PUBG @ 65" 120hz.
Too bad that MDG Canada do not have Q70 or Q80 or last year's NU8000 though, but I know that I will be happy with RU8000 since it's much better than my previous KU6290/6490 & MU6300 for sure.
Hope many are happy with their new RU8000 too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In dark room, I'm sure brightness will be OK watching 4K HDR movies.
I have a dark room for my RU8000. It gets very little sun in the daytime, even. Even in pitch black darkness I can tell that HDR is not bright enough. You might think it's bright enough if you have low expectations but I was disappointed. You have to tweak the picture when you watch HDR content just to achieve the brightest image possible. I think this is a good enough set for the price I paid, but it is NOT worth the money for HDR content. Even slightly cheaper sets like the TCL, HiSense, and Vizio get brighter in HDR mode than this set. It's quite good for SDR content, however, and I only watch SDR on this set. Thankfully I got my RU8000 for $1000 a month ago so I don't feel like I missed out by paying $900-1000 for another budget 65' set.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have a dark room for my RU8000. It gets very little sun in the daytime, even. Even in pitch black darkness I can tell that HDR is not bright enough. You might think it's bright enough if you have low expectations but I was disappointed. You have to tweak the picture when you watch HDR content just to achieve the brightest image possible. I think this is a good enough set for the price I paid, but it is NOT worth the money for HDR content. Even slightly cheaper sets like the TCL, HiSense, and Vizio get brighter in HDR mode than this set. It's quite good for SDR content, however, and I only watch SDR on this set. Thankfully I got my RU8000 for $1000 a month ago so I don't feel like I missed out by paying $900-1000 for another budget 65' set.
For HDR, an LCD has to have FALD to create the required deep blacks together with bright peak white highlights. The RU8000 has no local dimming and therefore cannot show HDR correctly. I didn't care about or want HDR on my basement TV, just needed an inexpensive VA panel for deep blacks in a dark room. So I spent $550 on a 65" NU6900 last year which works well. Great contrast ratio, but fairly dim with no local dimming but fine in my dark basement. Mostly I watch sports on it with all motion processing off and would never think to watch any HDR content on it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just updated to the 1303.7 update available on the website and this set is now becoming unresponsive unless you turn it off and back on. I've tried a reset and unplugging the set overnight but to no avail. Luckily this is just a secondary TV so I am not totally in trouble. External devices still work fine but even changing the volume is not possible with the remote. The only thing that works is pressing the off button on the remote, waiting 10 seconds for the TV to finally turn itself off, and turning it back on to make it responsive again but that only lasts half an hour or so.

For anybody else out there still on 1065. Stay there! I have to wait for the next firmware update.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought this yesterday at Fry's for $799 to replace a sony 65" that had died. I don't like the rtings calibration settings. Make's the picture look on the green/yellow side. Can anyone else post their expert picture settings?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Just updated to the 1303.7 update available on the website and this set is now becoming unresponsive unless you turn it off and back on. I've tried a reset and unplugging the set overnight but to no avail. Luckily this is just a secondary TV so I am not totally in trouble. External devices still work fine but even changing the volume is not possible with the remote. The only thing that works is pressing the off button on the remote, waiting 10 seconds for the TV to finally turn itself off, and turning it back on to make it responsive again but that only lasts half an hour or so.

For anybody else out there still on 1065. Stay there! I have to wait for the next firmware update.
Related:

- Model : RU8000, Q60RA, Q70RA, Q80RA, Q90RA, Q900RB

- Version : 1303.7

- Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought this yesterday at Fry's for $799 to replace a sony 65" that had died. I don't like the rtings calibration settings. Make's the picture look on the green/yellow side. Can anyone else post their expert picture settings?
The key is to use Standard instead of Warm2. I don't know why everybody recommends Warm2. It makes everything look yellow.

I find this set performs best in Dynamic mode instead of Movie mode. The blacks are blacker and the set is brighter. The only issue is that you get CE dimming, where the screen darkens when a mostly black image appears. CE dimming can be disabled in the service menu but I haven't bothered doing it.

1 - 20 of 461 Posts