AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally got it on the wall mount! Does anyone know where the remote IR sensor is? I’️m try to place an IR emitter for an URC RF base station.
Grats, the IR sensor is close to where the Samsung logo is.

Remember to play around with Bixby voice before you stow away the stock remote ; )

·
Registered
48 Posts
SDR Dim

Hey all, I replaced an old 2013 Samsung UN50f6400 1080p tv with the 75" RU8000 sometime last year. Since purchasing this set I have constantly felt like the picture was somewhat dim-ish in SDR but I couldn't place my finger on what causes it. I use the movie mode preset which is what I've always used with my old tv. I have all extras turned off and backlight at 10 out of 50. My old tv I ran at 4 out of 20. Both for night viewing with this setting. I follow all of the rtings settings minus the point calibrations as I know this can be panel specific. As well the gamma setting they change to 2.2 I felt like it def got brighter which alleviated the issue however I felt like it seemed more washed out at this 2.2 setting instead of the bt.1886 with slider at 0. My previous tv didn't have anything but a slider that was set at 0 as well. I don't know if I've started getting used to the bt.1886 setting while still feeling like its dim sometimes or what the problem. is. I know our eyes tend to get used to settings we use for a longer time and I want to be sure I choose the most correct setting and ill just let my eyes get used to it. Im not super knowledgeable when it comes to this so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good evening, long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for everyone's input/experience so far!

So I bought a Samsung 82RU8000 last week on sale... but I fear I may have made a big mistake.

I thought no matter what happens, it would be an upgrade to my smaller 4yr old TV, but actually since installing it I notice a difference and believe my Samsung HU8700 65" screen is/was better quality - or at least I cannot get a picture to be good enough with my eyes on the new set. Whether it is 2160p/720p Netflix media or HD from our local satellite provider or SD or even PS4 content - the new set just seems too bright at times and dark scenes are just not clear enough at other times. YouTube however does look really good on the HiDef stuff I tested.
A less serious issue - I'm not very impressed with Tizen and think Samsung moved backwards with their software.

I'm contemplating returning it... after such a mission to get this monstrosity collected/carried and installed.

Am I jumping the gun? Do I need to let it settle, get used to it, or fiddle more with the settings? (Will share my settings in a following post)

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Ambient light detection, power saving mode etc., all should be off. Look under general.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ambient light detection, power saving mode etc., all should be off. Look under general.
All eco and power save settings are turned off. Changing the gamma from bt.1886 to 2.2 is the only thing that seems to correct it however I feel like it makes it look more washed out which creates a dif problem. If bt.1886 is the more accurate setting I’ll accept it and let my eyes just get used to it, same goes if 2.2 is. I just don’t want to be stupidly degrading my image. My lack of knowledge with this matter truly frustrates me with the tv.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Further to my earlier post, some additional detail:

I spent many hours over the last week tweaking and testing and I've got it to a point where it's actually pretty good now - except for news channels and low quality sources - I find the brightness with SDR (especially in the evening) is crazy high - and even if I turn things down (given the massive size) it just lights up the room too much - my wife and I both got headaches the first few nights!

I started with Movie mode, "tweaked by eye". Most post-processing features turned off. I found that I had to enable motion plus in custom mode and set Blur to 3 and 0 Judder - otherwise content wasn't smooth enough (I hate the soap opera effect, so kept it as low as possible).

Settings wise, this is what I've tweaked it to for non-HDR viewing which has resulted in mostly a very good picture:

Backlight - 30
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Sharpness - 6
Colour - 25

Digital Clean - Auto
Auto motion - Custom (Blur 3 and Judder 0)
Contrast Enhancer - Low
Colour enhancer - Warm 1
Film Mode - Auto 1
Gamma: BT.1886
Colour space - Auto

I can't drop the backlight much lower because then I start to lose detail in dark scenes - I gauge by looking at scenes with people with black hair or dark suits and if the backlight goes lower then I lose some of the detail (I think this is what is referred to as crushing blacks?) - but if watching a very brightly lit scene (typical of many news channels) the brightness is too much and sometimes quite jarring!

I normally don't use Sharpness, but some things do appear too soft without it - particularly the news channels (SD and HD) and quite a bit of broadcast content benefits from a little bit of sharpening

I use Film Mode Auto 1 and Digital Clean at Auto because I don't really see the difference to be honest. (Anyone know what Auto 1 does differently to Auto 2 for Film mode?)

As mentioned before, I normally disable Auto motion on all my previous TVs, but find that this model NEEDS Custom with blur at 3 at least to avoid a stuttering or tearing picture in fast or panning scenes.

With HDR content, I find I have to increase the backlight (to 40) and brightness moves to 5 (maximum) and I switch Contrast enhancer to High to get a better image. The gamma setting changes automatically to ST.2084

Watching a show like Netflix's Lock & Key which has a lot of very dark scenes really needs the brightness turned up otherwise too much detail is lost.

For the last few days, based on further research and experimenting I've used these updated settings:

I've dropped Backlight to 25 and Contrast to 35. 0 Brightness and 0 Sharpness and turned off ALL post processing features. Most importantly I've switched to Warm2, Gamma 2.2. Some things took time to get used to (like Warm2!) but now I'm good with it.

The darks are pitch black! The bright and colourful parts are very bright and rich... however I can't help but feel some dark areas which should be visible are too dark - but it could be that I'm used to a false normal and perhaps those dark areas aren't meant to be seen? Still feels a tad too dark for me with some footage, but at least it isn't as blinding anymore on very bright scenes.

I might use Contrast Enhancer on Low from time to time if a show is mostly dark.

Is there anything I've missed, messed-up or should still try? The TV is pretty good, if I could just get the dark scenes (in SDR) to be more visible it would be a lot better.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I have tools to calibrate and my final gamma setting ended up with bt.1886. @ 2.2 setting it clearly takes away the proper contrast. I also kept the contrast enhancer at off or low, color setting at Auto.
These sets need gray scale calibration. Without that every thing else at jeopardy in my view.
For dark room and movies I use Movie setting but everyday TV I have calibrated the standard mode to 7500 K as white balance color temp.
I have never seen my TV looks dim or too bright alternatively. It could be the case with your source not really the TV.
Large set are far more revealing than smaller sets.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’m wondering if we are having a similar issue. Where it’s plenty bright in some scenes but then others it just seems dim especially dark scenes like it’s a struggle to see into the shadows when you know you should be able to. Starting to wonder if it’s the full panel dimming that can’t be disabled to be honest.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Mac make sure you have Input signal Plus of your designated HDMI input turned on. This set should increase the contrast automatically one HDR signal is sensed.
You also need to play with your white balance (gray scale).Invest in a color analyzer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have tools to calibrate and my final gamma setting ended up with bt.1886. @ 2.2 setting it clearly takes away the proper contrast. I also kept the contrast enhancer at off or low, color setting at Auto.
These sets need gray scale calibration. Without that every thing else at jeopardy in my view.
For dark room and movies I use Movie setting but everyday TV I have calibrated the standard mode to 7500 K as white balance color temp.
I have never seen my TV looks dim or too bright alternatively. It could be the case with your source not really the TV.
It may very well be that I’m so used to my older tv then (which may have been very inaccurate anyways). I don’t have the tools to perform a full and proper calibration. Nor the full knowledge, though would love to learn someday.
I’ll leave the gamma alone at bt.1886 and let my eyes just adjust and get used to that.
Was actually starting to suspect a panel dimming feature that can’t be disabled it seems. If I rename the input to pc mode and adjust those setting to closely match movie mode the dimness completely goes away. The colors for my sources just don’t look correct at that point cause it locks me into a native color space. If there was a way to disable the panel dimming that’d be nice.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
It may very well be that I’m so used to my older tv then (which may have been very inaccurate anyways). I don’t have the tools to perform a full and proper calibration. Nor the full knowledge, though would love to learn someday.
I’ll leave the gamma alone at bt.1886 and let my eyes just adjust and get used to that.
Was actually starting to suspect a panel dimming feature that can’t be disabled it seems. If I rename the input to pc mode and adjust those setting to closely match movie mode the dimness completely goes away. The colors for my sources just don’t look correct at that point cause it locks me into a native color space. If there was a way to disable the panel dimming that’d be nice.
This set has no panel dimming. When playing HDR it changes the color algorithm to native which is correct.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
This set has no panel dimming. When playing HDR it changes the color algorithm to native which is correct.
This TV has very good color accuracy out of box, But white balance may need some tweaking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This TV has very good color accuracy out of box, But white balance may need some tweaking.
My tv definitely auto dims as the scenes get darker and increases in brighter scenes.
It doesn’t have microdimming but def a CE dimming or whatever Samsung calls it.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
My tv definitely auto dims as the scenes get darker and increases in brighter scenes.
Look for local dimming option then and turn it off. But if it is RU8000 it has no such option and that is why I bought this set. It already has great native contrast without it.
If you are talking about throttling the contrast/backlight up on down then again look under economy setting. Everything should be kept off. Contrast enhancer should be off as well. This TV doesn't have micro dimming of any sort.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. I was advised to aim for Gamma 2.2 but I actually do find BT.1886 to work quite well - it has options from -3 to +3 what did you end up on?
Definitely do agree with you comment about larger screens!

I’m wondering if we are having a similar issue. Where it’s plenty bright in some scenes but then others it just seems dim especially dark scenes like it’s a struggle to see into the shadows when you know you should be able to. Starting to wonder if it’s the full panel dimming that can’t be disabled to be honest.
Yes, this sounds exactly like my experience.

Mac make sure you have Input signal Plus of your designated HDMI input turned on. This set should increase the contrast automatically one HDR signal is sensed.
You also need to play with your white balance (gray scale).Invest in a color analyzer.
I do on sources that support HDR and I must confess, despite the many complaints from others, I don't mind the HDR results so much - which I guess reflects the true culprit is probably the source - basically this TV doesn't upscale as well as my previous set - likely compounded by the sheer size.

I am aware of potential bias I may have regarding what I was used to with my 65HU8700, so don't expect to match that experience... I'm just looking for what is regarded as the best normal setup and I will also allow my eyes to get used to it - I just don't want to do anything silly in terms of over-compensating with incorrect settings which I might also get used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to this discussion, the RU8000 has CE dimming and you can only alter it by accessing the service menu: link remove due to post count
I've also experienced this... it was particularly noticeable on HDR content. I will definitely try to turn it off if I can get into the service menu.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks. I was advised to aim for Gamma 2.2 but I actually do find BT.1886 to work quite well - it has options from -3 to +3 what did you end up on?
Definitely do agree with you comment about larger screens!

Yes, this sounds exactly like my experience.

I do on sources that support HDR and I must confess, despite the many complaints from others, I don't mind the HDR results so much - which I guess reflects the true culprit is probably the source - basically this TV doesn't upscale as well as my previous set - likely compounded by the sheer size.

I am aware of potential bias I may have regarding what I was used to with my 65HU8700, so don't expect to match that experience... I'm just looking for what is regarded as the best normal setup and I will also allow my eyes to get used to it - I just don't want to do anything silly in terms of over-compensating with incorrect settings which I might also get used to.

I know where you’re coming from with the HU8700. I have an HU8550 which I still really like a lot. I know you posted your settings earlier. I have a Q60R and my dad has an RU8000. Settings are very similar between the two sets.

I really like contrast enhancer on low for SDR and high for HDR since these sets don’t have local dimming. The algorithm for the contrast enhancer seems to work very well. Basically it will try to apply dimming by modifying the contrast across different areas of the screen. This is what they market as micro dimming technology and has improved since the HU series (previously called dynamic contrast).

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/local-dimming

I saw you posted about using the service menu to disable CE dimming. If you aren’t familiar with the service menu, you risk possibly bricking your set as well as voiding your warranty (it tracks entries). If you do decide to change anything always take pictures first. Here are the settings I’m using which come close to what I’ve come to expect for HDR with my KS8000.

Picture settings:
Picture Mode: Movie

Backlight: 25 / adjust to room preference (HDR: 50)

Brightness: 0 (HDR 0 or +1)

Contrast: 45 (HDR 50)

Sharpness: 3

Color: 25

Tint: 0

Digital Clean View: Auto (HDR: Off)

Auto Motion Plus: Custom

Blur Reduction: 10 (on 55” or larger set)

Judder Reduction: 3

Contrast Enhancer: Low (HDR: High)

Color Tone: Warm 2

Gamma: 2.2 (HDR: ST. 2084 +1)

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space Settings: Auto (HDR: Native)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know where you’re coming from with the HU8700. I have an HU8550 which I still really like a lot. I know you posted your settings earlier. I have a Q60R and my dad has an RU8000. Settings are very similar between the two sets.

I saw you posted about using the service menu to disable CE dimming. If you aren’t familiar with the service menu, you risk possibly bricking your set as well as voiding your warranty (it tracks entries). If you do decide to change anything always take pictures first. Here are the settings I’m using which come close to what I’ve come to expect for HDR with my KS8000.

Picture settings:

Picture Mode: Movie

Backlight: 25 / adjust to room preference (HDR: 50)

Brightness: 0 (HDR 0 or +1)

Contrast: 45 (HDR 50)

Sharpness: 3

Color: 25

Tint: 0

Digital Clean View: Auto (HDR: Off)
Auto Motion Plus: Custom

Blur Reduction: 10 (on 55” or larger set)

Judder Reduction: 3

Contrast Enhancer: Low (HDR: High)

Color Tone: Warm 2

Gamma: 2.2 (HDR: ST. 2084 +1)

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space Settings: Auto (HDR: Native)
Thanks, noted on the service menu, I'll leave that as a last resort.
Yes, the HU8xxx series was a great TV... and I didn't realise it before, but my curved model did help a bit with glare and viewing angles compared to the RU8000

I'm curious about your Blur reduction on 10 and Judder on 3 - I don't like the soap opera effect, but do find that high speed action needs some assistance on this TV, I will try it. Is there any relationship between the two numbers? Do they work independently or together somehow?

381 - 400 of 468 Posts