AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks, noted on the service menu, I'll leave that as a last resort.
Yes, the HU8xxx series was a great TV... and I didn't realise it before, but my curved model did help a bit with glare and viewing angles compared to the RU8000

I'm curious about your Blur reduction on 10 and Judder on 3 - I don't like the soap opera effect, but do find that high speed action needs some assistance on this TV, I will try it. Is there any relationship between the two numbers? Do they work independently or together somehow?

They are supposed to work independently but I’ve found they don’t exactly. De-blur is for high frame rate content and de-judder for low frame rate content, however I’ve found that de-blur sometimes needs to be dialed back from 10 to 8 if you notice frame skipping. On your HU series go with 8/3 instead of 10/3. Samsung defaults to 10 with the newer sets, so I recommend starting there with newer models. De-judder is the setting that causes soap opera effect. I find anything above 3 and you start to notice it. 3 seems to be the sweet spot where you get some nice smoothing but no soap opera effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Thanks, ok... well that saves me from risking playing with the hidden settings.
CE dimming in the Service menu is the same as Ambient Light Detection which is in user's menu.
Both would also disable in Movie mode by default. I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
CE Dimming

CE dimming is disabled in Movie mode.
Are you positive about this?
I think the dimming intensity is just decreased in movie mode. I can still see the TV happily dims itself in pitch black background and bright spot.

In addition, in the service menu there are two values that control the CE dimming: PWMINI2D and PWMMOVIE_INI
PWMMOVIE_INI value is 30 as opposed to 15 that is found in PWMINI2D (If the parameter name means anything, I'd guess the minimum PWM brightness is higher in movie mode).

Thanks, ok... well that saves me from risking playing with the hidden settings.
Your caution might be warranted, the service menu log and changes are stored permanently (factory reset does not remove them), if you manage to broke something when using it, you cannot just factory reset it, and Samsung will be happy to point its finger to you entering the service menu. :D

Well I already did enter it and changed the CE dimming option plus disabling Wi-fi, though. All seem to be well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are supposed to work independently but I’ve found they don’t exactly. De-blur is for high frame rate content and de-judder for low frame rate content, however I’ve found that de-blur sometimes needs to be dialed back from 10 to 8 if you notice frame skipping. On your HU series go with 8/3 instead of 10/3. Samsung defaults to 10 with the newer sets, so I recommend starting there with newer models. De-judder is the setting that causes soap opera effect. I find anything above 3 and you start to notice it. 3 seems to be the sweet spot where you get some nice smoothing but no soap opera effect.
Oooh... this is not for me. Just a Judder setting of 1 makes me hate the picture... I'm obviously too sensitive to it. Back to 0 on my 82RU8000
Blur on the other hand seems to help a little at the 3-5 range.

Might be input/source specific - I will play around a bit more over the weekend.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Oooh... this is not for me. Just a Judder setting of 1 makes me hate the picture... I'm obviously too sensitive to it. Back to 0 on my 82RU8000
Blur on the other hand seems to help a little at the 3-5 range.

Might be input/source specific - I will play around a bit more over the weekend.

Interesting, yeah you can see how it works with certain content. A good movie to test with are the action sequences in Edge of tomorrow with Tom Cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have a minor issue: the TV keeps naming HDMI 4 to Roku with the Roku logo as the device icon. I have a Marantz SR6009 AVR connected to HDMI 4. I have renamed it multiple times but when the TV is power cycled, it reverts to calling it Roku.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Have a minor issue: the TV keeps naming HDMI 4 to Roku with the Roku logo as the device icon. I have a Marantz SR6009 AVR connected to HDMI 4. I have renamed it multiple times but when the TV is power cycled, it reverts to calling it Roku.
I'm guessing this has something to do with the "universal remote" feature. Try disabling it and see how things turn out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm guessing this has something to do with the "universal remote" feature. Try disabling it and see how things turn out.
Thanks! I was not able to disable it but was able to delete that device from Universal Remote. Now it shows SR6009 which is fine!

Reactions: qjones

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just did the rtings WB 2 Point, 20 Point, and Colorspace settings for SDR and it looks darn good! Should I also do these settings for HDR?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just did the rtings WB 2 Point, 20 Point, and Colorspace settings for SDR and it looks darn good! Should I also do these settings for HDR?
Same here and with very pleasing results; make sure you hit "all sources" and go for it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here and with very pleasing results; make sure you hit "all sources" and go for it!
What panel do you guys have (from service menu or backside sticker)?

I want to do it too, but mine is EU version and has different panel than US model, not sure if it will just make things worse..

(I'm aware RTINGS calibration is only accurate for the set they have, but still).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Reactions: WhizzWr

·
Registered
282 Posts
What panel do you guys have (from service menu or backside sticker)?

I want to do it too, but mine is EU version and has different panel than US model, not sure if it will just make things worse..

(I'm aware RTINGS calibration is only accurate for the set they have, but still).
FA01 here.
Same here and honestly, I say just try the settings out. If you're not happy, revert back to stock; simple.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I already did enter it and changed the CE dimming option plus disabling Wi-fi, though. All seem to be well.
I see that you participated in the Rting discussion about the RU8000 CE dimming. Are you back to the default settings of 15 and 30 or using 72 for both?

I have a remote that will get me into the Service Menu but wanted to wait awhile before making any changes. I notice the dimming on dark scenes and when credits start to roll but it’s not terribly distracting so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see that you participated in the Rting discussion about the RU8000 CE dimming. Are you back to the default settings of 15 and 30 or using 72 for both?

I have a remote that will get me into the Service Menu but wanted to wait awhile before making any changes. I notice the dimming on dark scenes and when credits start to roll but it’s not terribly distracting so far.
Yeah ., I'm back to the default 15 and 30.
As I said, the dimming is not distracting for me. I don't like visible vignette on the value of 72.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah ., I'm back to the default 15 and 30.
As I said, the dimming is not distracting for me. I don't like visible vignette on the value of 72.
Ok, thanks! I think I’ll give it more time!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
It's a bug with the current firmware. My RU8000 keeps showing my FireTV as a DirectTV device.

401 - 420 of 461 Posts