AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #422 (Edited)
New 1361.0 firmware on the website. No changelog spotted yet.
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2019-uhd-smart-tv-ru8000

Edit: I can confirm that the HDMI detection bug is fixed with this update, but you have to do a factory reset to get it to work! My Fire TV Stick 4K is properly detected, whereas before it was misidentified as a DirecTV box. That's 1 out of 2 bugs I had fixed with this update.

Edit 2: On the 5th time of turning on my set to see if the handshake bug with my cable box still existed, my Comcast 4K box still has the handshake issue, it is sometimes NOT detected unless I unplug and re-plug the HDMI cord when another device was connected on another HDMI port. The good news is that I won't have to deal with this box anymore by the end of the year.

That's 1 remaining bug for me on this set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So after owning this TV for a few months, most of my problems have disappeared... mostly because my eyes and brain have gotten used to it. But also because I've fiddled and adjusted until finding a workable range of settings that suit me.

It isn't great with glare during the daytime, but otherwise it is pretty good.

Probably biggest issue is the lack of DTS support (or even passthrough) because I like to have copies of my media on a USB drive plugged into the TV.

Interesting, yeah you can see how it works with certain content. A good movie to test with are the action sequences in Edge of tomorrow with Tom Cruise.
As mentioned, the blur/judder settings are not for me... but this movie recently came up on our cable broadcaster, I will give it a try since I'd be happy to watch it again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
New 1361.0 firmware on the website. No changelog spotted yet.
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2019-uhd-smart-tv-ru8000

Edit: I can confirm that the HDMI detection bug is fixed with this update, but you have to do a factory reset to get it to work! My Fire TV Stick 4K is properly detected, whereas before it was misidentified as a DirecTV box. Also, my Comcast 4K box does not have handshake issues anymore, whereas before it would not be detected unless I unplugged and re-plugged the HDMI cord when another device was connected on another HDMI port. I just tried to force the bug to come back 3 times in an hour and it did not come back. I officially do not experience any bugs on this TV anymore.
Thanks! Good news! Except for the having to do a Factory Reset which will wipe out the Rtings 20 Point White Balance. I may wait to update the FW till I get a true calibration scheduled.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Watched Star Wars episode IV last night via the TV's Disney+ app. It was letterboxed and the opening space scenes revealed the worst looking flashlighting (?) in all 4 corners that I have seen to date. I suspect this is normal for this TV? The Service Menu CE Dimming alteration would make this worse, correct?

I was going to take a picture of it this morning but it was barely detectable in the moderately brighter room. If you didn't know about it you would never see it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
Watched Star Wars episode IV last night via the TV's Disney+ app. It was letterboxed and the opening space scenes revealed the worst looking flashlighting (?) in all 4 corners that I have seen to date.
I'm picky about flashlighting and other panel defects and I haven't seen that with my 65 inch model at all. I've watched many dark movies and black test patterns just to be sure. No such thing for me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #427

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm picky about flashlighting and other panel defects and I haven't seen that with my 65 inch model at all. I've watched many dark movies and black test patterns just to be sure. No such thing for me.
I will try to photograph it and post it. I’ve had the TV almost 2 months now so I doubt it can be replaced through Square Trade- it was a warranty replacement. Wondering if this is more of an issue with the 82” screens? Any others have this issue?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will try to photograph it and post it.
Interesting. I attempted to photograph it last night but the issue was barely noticeable! I’m happy about that. Perhaps it was not nearly as bad because the TV had been on for several hours? Maybe it was cold (just powered on) when we noticed the issue a couple of nights ago? I don’t recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting. I attempted to photograph it last night but the issue was barely noticeable! I’m happy about that. Perhaps it was not nearly as bad because the TV had been on for several hours? Maybe it was cold (just powered on) when we noticed the issue a couple of nights ago? I don’t recall.
Confirmed that my flashlighting issue is very prominent in all 4 corners when the TV has been off for several hours and viewed in a dark room. Practically disappears within 20 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question, when I bought the tv back in January the tv according to rtings.com was 7.9 but had green scores for a lot of its categories. Rtings.com now has the tv as a 7.4. What is with the huge drop-off?

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
That’s bogus! If These were the ratings when I bought the tv I would have bought something else. Well so much for this set
Newer things have come out, they were better, things have changed due to updates... I'm glad they at least try to update their reviews (but I would not pay much attention to the scores, just the raw data...) otherwise you'd see 9's for 50hz 1080p panels still in 2020 :D ;)

But seriously, the scores mean nothing. The data and their texts, do. They're constantly adjusting how they score certain things because they haven't perfected it yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That’️s bogus! If These were the ratings when I bought the tv I would have bought something else. Well so much for this set
Newer things have come out, they were better, things have changed due to updates... I'm glad they at least try to update their reviews (but I would not pay much attention to the scores, just the raw data...) otherwise you'd see 9's for 50hz 1080p panels still in 2020 /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

But seriously, the scores mean nothing. The data and their texts, do. They're constantly adjusting how they score certain things because they haven't perfected it yet.
I guess you’re right just shocking to see it again. I guess I was upset because I bought the set in preparation for the ps5. When I bought the set it was the best value gaming tv which I am guessing it is still good for gaming. Hopefully it works well with the ps5

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was mistakenly sent two ru8000 and need
To send one back

Do I keep the fa01 or ca02 version?
If you enter the service menu you might discover which panel is it. If 55 inch it might be CSOT, Samsung or even AUO. I'd say it's most likely a CSOT panel (both FA01 and CA02)
I believe CA02 is newer but I could be wrong

·
Registered
9 Posts
CA02 looks like has better contrast. I did a contrast test.

Also I see some folks trying to hack into the service menu to turn off the UHD dimming.

But movie mode already does that.

I personally like the UHD dimming and more saturated colors from dynamic setting.
Dynamic setting was the only setting to my liking where the color didnt look washed out/dull

On a side note a weird thing keeps happening (not always). Tv turning on by itself 30 sec after it is turned off. Updated firmware but that didnt solve. Turned off function for phone or tablet to turn on tv. Hopefully this works.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
On a side note a weird thing keeps happening (not always). Tv turning on by itself 30 sec after it is turned off. Updated firmware but that didnt solve. Turned off function for phone or tablet to turn on tv. Hopefully this works.
I've seen that in other Samsung TVs. It can be solved by doing these 3 steps.

1) Isolate the TV's power cord from surge protectors that are occupied with other devices. Best solution is to buy a tiny surge protector and connect that to the wall, then connect the TV to it.

2) Do a factory reset after flashing the latest firmware.
3) Disabling any wakeup functions as you have already done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've seen that in other Samsung TVs. It can be solved by doing these 3 steps.

1) Isolate the TV's power cord from surge protectors that are occupied with other devices. Best solution is to buy a tiny surge protector and connect that to the wall, then connect the TV to it.

2) Do a factory reset after flashing the latest firmware.
3) Disabling any wakeup functions as you have already done.
Thanks. I tried this and it helped. I also disabled for phone or tablet to turn on TV

421 - 440 of 461 Posts