Contrast 40
Color 27
Sharpness 9
Contrast enhancer high
Color tone - standard

Leaving everything else - factory setting

Titan DC from netflix looks really good at this setting imo

So does Ozark

Overall I'm really happy with this tv purchase (1st Samsung tv). Scored a deal. TCL 6 series died in less than two years. Horrible remote control, roku os is dead slow. Very dirty screen. LG tv I had prior was way to dim with poor contrast separation.

This tvs picture really pops, amazing contrast and details, quick remote, snappy OS. Very clean screen uniformity

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tinkering around with the picture setting

really liking

Dynamic setting

Backlight 45
Contrast 40
Color 27
Sharpness 9
Contrast enhancer high
Color tone - standard

Leaving everything else - factory setting

Titan DC from netflix looks really good at this setting imo

So does Ozark

Overall I'm really happy with this tv purchase (1st Samsung tv). Scored a deal. TCL 6 series died in less than two years. Horrible remote control, roku os is dead slow. Very dirty screen. LG tv I had prior was way to dim with poor contrast separation.

This tvs picture really pops, amazing contrast and details, quick remote, snappy OS. Very clean screen uniformity
Contrast is likely a bit too low. Have ou done AVS709 testing?
Contrast enhancer in movie mode is better off or low. I leave my backlight at 50 in movie mode because it becomes flickerless

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have any other sources confirmed this?
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/samsung/ru8000/ru8000-backlight-large.jpg

Same with RU7100: it flickers at 240hz in movie mode except when it is at max(no flicker).

My settings movie mode:
Backlight: 50 (47 if it's too bright)
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 46~47
Sharpness: 0
Color: 25
Digital Clean View Off (except if I'm watching a Blu Ray which noise filter helps reduce the grain)
Auto Motion Plus: off
Contrast Enhancer: Off (when playing dark video games it helps if I set to low)
Color Tone: Warm 1 or Warm 2 depending on content
Gamma: 2.2

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/samsung/ru8000/ru8000-backlight-large.jpg

Same with RU7100: it flickers at 240hz in movie mode except when it is at max(no flicker).

My settings movie mode:
Backlight: 50 (47 if it's too bright)
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 46~47
Sharpness: 0
Digital Clean View Off (except if I'm watching a Blu Ray which noise filter helps reduce the grain)
Auto Motion Plus: off
Contrast Enhancer: Off (when playing dark video games it helps if I set to low)
Color Tone: Warm 1 or Warm 2 depending on content
Gamma: 2.2
Try using Color Tone: Standard. I find the Warm settings too yellow. That's about where I have my settings and I haven't changed them since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Diocletian

Have you calibrated whites using rtings calibration? (They apparently have tye ca02 panel version). Its a little tedius to go from 5 to 100 percent calibration. But it makes the screen less yellow. The whites look purer, skin tone more accurate etc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Orlccm
I cant have the backlight that high. Too bright.

I find for my home setting backlight about 40 looks good. But your setting of contrast at 47 helps to liven up the dark colors a tad more. So will keep it

For the rest using rtings calibration. The picture reminds me of sony tv. Like my friends recent 800h

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Diocletian

Have you calibrated whites using rtings calibration? (They apparently have tye ca02 panel version). Its a little tedius to go from 5 to 100 percent calibration. But it makes the screen less yellow. The whites look purer, skin tone more accurate etc
Yes I have, but according to their review:

We tested the 55" RU8000 (UN55RU8000) version FA01

Which is the panel I have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I have, but according to their review:
Which is the panel I have.
Then how did they measure contrast ratio of approx 5000 to 1? I thought only the CA02 panels had this level of contrast? End of the day probably not a big deal anyways

My current SDR/HDR10 setting

movie mode
Backlight 32
Contrast 45
Color 29
CLEAN VIEW off- what a difference
Contrast Enhancer - Low
Color tone - Standard
Gamma - BT.1886 at 0

My current HDR 10+ setting

movie mode
Backlight 32
Contrast 50
Color - 29
CLEAN VIEW off
Color tone - Warm 2
Contrast Enhancer - High
Gamma - ST.2084 at +1
Color Space = Native

Note:
- Backlight past 32 starts making things look washed out and black start looking grey
- SDR/HDR10 = static metadata, try to balance "wash out" vs "over saturated". SDR looks very nice on the RU8000
- HDR10 + = dynamic metadata, perfect example = darkened room + sun entering the room in detail. RU8000 lacking local dimming, unfortunately can't produce the ideal contrast/shades of detail. ST.2084 at 0 or anything lower kills the "bright/shade". ST.2084 greater than 1 hurts the dark. ST.2084 at 1 leans towards lighter in sacrifice of worst dark/black (which it can't produce in details in anyways). Contrast enhancer at high and contrast at 50, assist in separating and dark and bright (+shades) to the tvs capabilities (not bad). Lastly color tone 2 and color space = native, assist to maximize wide color gamut capability (not bad).

Overall after having some times with this tv, the RU8000 is a very nice TV for games. Very good tv for SDR/HDR. Passable for HDR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After alot of research about some of the specs of the tv, I calibrated my 55ru8000 panel version CA02 using the spears and Munsil Blu-ray. I came up with optimal SDR settings for my room conditions:

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 36
Contrast: 38 ( anything above cause the red and blue channel to clip)
Brightness: -1
Sharpness: 1
Tint: 0
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off ( When activated at any setting in custom will cause stutter and frame drop)
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Film Mode: Auto2 ( 1080i through cable tv)
Color Tone: Warm1
White Balance 2pt (Same as rtings)
Gamma: BT1886
BT1886: 0
RGB: off
Color Space: Auto

·
Registered
1 Posts
Then how did they measure contrast ratio of approx 5000 to 1? I thought only the CA02 panels had this level of contrast? End of the day probably not a big deal anyways

My current SDR/HDR10 setting

movie mode
Backlight 32
Contrast 45
Color 29
CLEAN VIEW off- what a difference
Contrast Enhancer - Low
Color tone - Standard
Gamma - BT.1886 at 0

My current HDR 10+ setting

movie mode
Backlight 32
Contrast 50
Color - 29
CLEAN VIEW off
Color tone - Warm 2
Contrast Enhancer - High
Gamma - ST.2084 at +1
Color Space = Native

Note:
  • Backlight past 32 starts making things look washed out and black start looking grey
  • SDR/HDR10 = static metadata, try to balance "wash out" vs "over saturated". SDR looks very nice on the RU8000
  • HDR10 + = dynamic metadata, perfect example = darkened room + sun entering the room in detail. RU8000 lacking local dimming, unfortunately can't produce the ideal contrast/shades of detail. ST.2084 at 0 or anything lower kills the "bright/shade". ST.2084 greater than 1 hurts the dark. ST.2084 at 1 leans towards lighter in sacrifice of worst dark/black (which it can't produce in details in anyways). Contrast enhancer at high and contrast at 50, assist in separating and dark and bright (+shades) to the tvs capabilities (not bad). Lastly color tone 2 and color space = native, assist to maximize wide color gamut capability (not bad).
Overall after having some times with this tv, the RU8000 is a very nice TV for games. Very good tv for SDR/HDR. Passable for HDR.
One of the best settings I've ever used, especially for HDR content (Netflix)

Just a little small 'grain' when in HDR movie mode. How can this be tweaked?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased a 65RU8000 after reading both the RU/TU 8000 threads. The 2019 really was cheaper, looked brighter, and had better specs that the TU8000.

·
Registered
477 Posts
As far as the 2020 models, to really match or beat the 2019 RU8000, I think you'd have to go to the Q70T, which is considerably more expensive.

(The 2020 Q60T is better in brightness but is only 60 hz, instead of 120 hz like the RU8000)

·
Registered
1 Posts
After half a year my tv Samsung UE65RU8002 starts to blink, like in this video. Sound is still ok. It happens often on first startup everyday and less often when tv is 'on' for some time. Blinks lasts for about a minute and then picture appears and everything ok during that day. But tommorow issue repeats. It don't depend wich source is played. Maybe someone know some solution, please post comment here. What I tried but with no luck: - tried to change picture settings - tried to do factory reset - my socket voltage is ok and I don't use any stabilizers - tried to disable 'instant on' feature Sofware version - 1361 21.07.20

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
After half a year my tv Samsung UE65RU8002 starts to blink, like in this video. Sound is still ok. It happens often on first startup everyday and less often when tv is 'on' for some time. Blinks lasts for about a minute and then picture appears and everything ok during that day. But tommorow issue repeats. It don't depend wich source is played. Maybe someone know some solution, please post comment here. What I tried but with no luck: - tried to change picture settings - tried to do factory reset - my socket voltage is ok and I don't use any stabilizers - tried to disable 'instant on' feature Sofware version - 1361 21.07.20

I'd use the warranty and get a new one. Never seen that issue before, even on this thread.

441 - 460 of 461 Posts