AVS Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 8339 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are you getting remote control options when hit the display button on your Sony remote?
No remote control options when I hit the Display button. I'm seeing just 'HDMI 3 (eARC / ARC)' with the 1080i HD, 16:9 and Wide Mode: Full. In the Black Bar (bottom of screen), I'm seeing a small box inside the 'Box' icon.

Resolved a similar issue by doing everything @D-Nice suggested, plus:

1). General Settings/Watching TV/External Inputs/Customize TV key/set to—>HDMI 3 (eARC/ARC)

2). DIRECTV: Menu/Settings/Display Settings/Display/Video/set—> HDMI Control OFF
Both were done a few days ago as suggested by D-Nice.

It may have already been asked, but what does the following screen(posted below) look like on your Denon AVR? Do "HDMI Control" and "-ARC" both say "Off"? This menu is accessed via Setup>Video>HDMI Control
Thanks! I forgot that I turned this back on to test eARC / ARC. I wanted to make sure it worked (which is does). I shut everything back off. Hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions / replies. Hopefully this is the last time I have to post about this issue.

·
Registered
18,076 Posts
No remote control options when I hit the Display button. I'm seeing just 'HDMI 3 (eARC / ARC)' with the 1080i HD, 16:9 and Wide Mode: Full. In the Black Bar (bottom of screen), I'm seeing a small box inside the 'Box' icon.

Thanks! I forgot that I turned this back on to test eARC / ARC. I wanted to make sure it worked (which is does). I shut everything back off. Hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions / replies. Hopefully this is the last time I have to post about this issue.
Good my next recommendation would have to check your Denon but someone already recommended that.

·
Registered
371 Posts

On your Sony remote control, press the “Help” button. The top right corner of the display should show a “Software version: PKGx.xxxx.xxxxxxx”
What is the software version?

·
Registered
371 Posts
PKG6.2550.0328NAA (I've only had the TV for a week).

Good, then your A9G does not have the early December firmware that was released/withdrawn by Sony due to unannounced “bugs.”

·
Registered
371 Posts
I’m running the December firmware and have no issues. Then again I don’t do Atmos which was the main issue with the firmware.

On my unit, the December firmware release altered how the HDMI 3 port (the only one used) responds when the set is activated with a DIRECTV tuner through a Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar. The HDMI 3 port would activate, then appear to go to “sleep” or disconnect 30 seconds later. This was a singularly new set behavior with the December firmware which was mitigated by changing the DIRECTV tuner’s display settings HDMI Control to “off.” No complaints here, just waiting for the broad “production” firmware release to come.

And thanks for posting so many helpful tips for AVS Forum members.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts

Because I'm running everything with a receiver and have CEC - ARC -eARC off on all my components and display, just to make sure I have ZERO issues with CEC, I'm using HDMI 2 input on my Sony 77A9G so I know for sure that Bravia Sync is totally OFF and out of the picture.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Because I'm running everything with a receiver and have CEC - ARC -eARC off on all my components and display, just to make sure I have ZERO issues with CEC, I'm using HDMI 2 input on my Sony 77A9G so I know for sure that Bravia Sync is totally OFF and out of the picture.
I was running everything (and still am) through a Denon AVR (x4300h) and using HDMI 1 input on my Sony 77A9G. Last week, I contacted Sony Chat Support about the issue I was having [TV switching from 'HDMI' picture setting to 'Apps' picture setting]. The Sony Chat Support Rep insisted I needed to use HDMI 3 input on the TV because I was using an AVR. He went on to explain that HDMI 3 gives better sound and picture quality! WTH! After 45 minutes of suggested troubleshooting steps [that only added to my frustrations], I was provided a number to contact Tier 2 Sony Support as my issue was not resolved.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I run everything through my x4500 and have it hooked up via HDMI 3 with enhanced checked for that port - use a harmony elite remote and have DTV as well - zero issues with it dropping to the home screen/apps. Only issue I ever run across is occasionally it doesn’t swap from DTV audio to ARC tv audio when swapping from DTV to Apps but that is cleaned up quickly with the help button on the remote

Also why not use HDMI 3 if you are connecting to an AVR? It’s the only Arc/ eARC HDMI port on the tv I believe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone had the chance to compare the built-in audio system of the AG9 to the AF9? I'm about to get a replacement for my AF9 but I don't want to downgrade on the TV sound since the AG9 only has to 2 speakers as far as I know.

Thank you

·
Registered
41 Posts
While we’re on the topic of HDMI 3 and ARC. For the first time, I hooked my Samsung soundbar via ARC and when controlling the volume of the Soundbar with the Sony remote, I’m not getting a visual number on the volume control on the screen. Is that normal? This is my first time using ARC with the A9G. Everything is working via ARC, it’s just the visual on the screen telling me what the volume level is that is annoying.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know the Apple TV Dolby vision issue had been beaten to death but I have a new Apple TV issue. I watched the Outsider last night on the Apple TV HBO Go app and the picture looked washed out the black bars on top and bottom were both grey. I tried watching the same show on the native Sony HBO Go app and the picture was much better everything looked as it should. I use the usual ATV settings with 4K sdr and enable Dolby vision and match range. Is the ATV just FUBAR on these TVs or is it just me.

·
Vendor
27,454 Posts
Went to BestBuy and going to exchange my 77 Oled. With the input issues and the banding I have they agreed. Problem is none will be in stock until late Feb, but at least will get a new one and hopefully this one is better.
Since the price drop in November, HUGE national back order :(

·
Registered
18,076 Posts
I know the Apple TV Dolby vision issue had been beaten to death but I have a new Apple TV issue. I watched the Outsider last night on the Apple TV HBO Go app and the picture looked washed out the black bars on top and bottom were both grey. I tried watching the same show on the native Sony HBO Go app and the picture was much better everything looked as it should. I use the usual ATV settings with 4K sdr and enable Dolby vision and match range. Is the ATV just FUBAR on these TVs or is it just me.
That has nothing to do with the ATV. It has everything to do with the HBOGo app. Best way to see HBO on the ATV is via ATV Channels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HBO Go streaming or HBO broadcast in general is SDR not DV. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I feel like recently my A9G motion handling has gotten worse. It seems like there is more double image effect? I dont know what to call it (judder/stutter?).

I have tried different motion settings but seems to be worse than when I purchased before xmas.

I am running an nvidia shield pro. And sometimes the internal apps. I use refresh rate app on the shield to make sure that it is the correct refresh rate.

Any ideas? Should I turn the AI upscaling off on the shield? Maybe that is making it worse? Should i try a power cycle? Reset?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I feel like recently my A9G motion handling has gotten worse. It seems like there is more double image effect? I dont know what to call it (judder/stutter?).

I have tried different motion settings but seems to be worse than when I purchased before xmas.

I am running an nvidia shield pro. And sometimes the internal apps. I use refresh rate app on the shield to make sure that it is the correct refresh rate.

Any ideas? Should I turn the AI upscaling off on the shield? Maybe that is making it worse? Should i try a power cycle? Reset?
try without the AI upscaling on the shield

Reactions: jbalsor

·
Registered
217 Posts
try without the AI upscaling on the shield
I will try this when I get home. It is my first OLED so maybe its just the inherently more stutter with OLED? (well 2nd OLED if you count the C9 I had for a couple weeks before the A9G)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

I also have Shield Pro and have noticed the same thing, although it was mostly with Netflix and The Witcher. It would stutter pretty consistently...occasionally on Amazon with Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, is when I started noticing it but with that show it was so subtle I thought it might be just a buffering issue since it seemed to correct itself if I paused for a minute before restarting. But The Witcher was driving me mad, as it was very consistent and obvious. The way I would describe it is stuttering, but not the type you see with 24p material...more like it was skipping frames and almost like speeding up to catch up too.

I'll try disabling AI Enhanced Upscaling (I use it on "high") but those shows are 4k so I'm not sure if it was related...

Reactions: jbalsor
4021 - 4040 of 8339 Posts