AVS Forum banner

5821 - 5840 of 6761 Posts

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I think Vincent Teoh from HDTV Test said the pixel structure is different on the LG CX or the Sony A8H and I think the bit about the Sony A9G chip being retuned came from the mini shoot out Value Electronics had between the CX and the A9G.
He said the pixel structure was different on the 55 vs the 65 inch sets. Should be the same for LG and Sony. And you are correct about what Robert reported at the mini VE Shootout.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve tried searching on this forum but can’t seem to find out if anyone is having audio static issues from the ATV4K. It intermittently happens when a movie starts where a extremely loud static sound distorts the audio output from the internal speakers. Once restarting the TV it goes away but has happened at least 4-5 times since I got the TV 7 months ago. I’ve contacted support and they cleared the audio cache and input caches on my system. Anyone else experience this very loud static issue?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think Vincent Teoh from HDTV Test said the pixel structure is different on the LG CX or the Sony A8H and I think the bit about the Sony A9G chip being retuned came from the mini shoot out Value Electronics had between the CX and the A9G.

I can’t seem to find the shootout when I google for the A9G v CX. Can you pass along the link please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
I had @Chad B
out to my place to dial in my A9G earlier today , he did his usual outstanding job and I highly recommend his calibration services if you are wanting to get the best out of your set .

77”A9G Direct Tv AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can’️t seem to find the shootout when I google for the A9G v CX. Can you pass along the link please?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/Here is part 1 of the mini shoot out.

https://youtu.be/HDDu6UoZ99g

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sony A9G Dimming on News Channels only

I need some help. I just got my 65in A9G and I love the picture. The problem I am having is when I have the picture set to vivid and I stop on one of the news channels, after about 2-3min It automatically dims. i checked the settings and it still shows that I am in vivid mode but the picture dims. It is only when the news is on. Once it goes to commercial it brightens back up. Both the light sensor and auto picture mode are set to off.

This is driving me nuts as it does this on some sports when there is a banner. Is there anyway I can turn this off? I have heard that the newer oleds have a feature that helps with burn in by lowering the brightness when it detects a static banner. If this is whats happening I just want to know how I can turn that feature on and off.

Please let me know if you can help with this.

·
Registered
15,153 Posts
First, please use the dedicated A9G thread. Second, yes, this is done automatically to reduce the risk of burn-in. I don't believe you can turn it off. Third, why are you using Vivid mode? That is meant for stores under fluorescent lighting and is not meant for general viewing at home. And it will increase your risk of burn-in.

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
In response to dubusduck #5797 , I am looking at a new 2019 65A9G, are you saying that I should
might be getting a old panel design? :eek:
Who knows for sure as I know the 6 series are still inter changeable with the new panels, so they all work. Worst case you get a 9 series panel, but they will sooner or later have to go to the 10 series, 2020 panels...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sony A9G Dimming on News Channels only

I need some help. I just got my 65in A9G and I love the picture. The problem I am having is when I have the picture set to vivid and I stop on one of the news channels, after about 2-3min It automatically dims. i checked the settings and it still shows that I am in vivid mode but the picture dims. It is only when the news is on. Once it goes to commercial it brightens back up. Both the light sensor and auto picture mode are set to off.

This is driving me nuts as it does this on some sports when there is a banner. Is there anyway I can turn this off? I have heard that the newer oleds have a feature that helps with burn in by lowering the brightness when it detects a static banner. If this is whats happening I just want to know how I can turn that feature on and off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 55A9G since December. It took me a month to get used to the size of the screen, coming from a 32 inch television :) Now, I’m very happy with it. I have encountered only two issues.
  1. Daily one or two audio cutouts (with no sound whatsoever) using Netflix in combination with a Marantz SR6014 and an external audio system. Sometimes you can hear the sound crackling a bit a few seconds before the sound cuts out completely. I stayed on Android 8 because I read here that Pie could make the audio problems even worse ... In my case, there is a quick way to solve it though: in the menu that pops up at the bottom, I select the TV speakers and then the audio system again. I can be done with it in 5 seconds and I don’t have to restart Android or Netflix. It’s still annoying, but if I use Netflix on my UB9000/9004 as a workaround, this will cost me some extra bootup time anyway to start the player. I haven’t encountered cutouts with Rakuten yet, only Netflix. Still hoping for a firmware fix, but I don't think it will happen.
  2. I have the Spotify app installed on my TV. I’d like to listen to music in stereo on my front speakers, but if I select the audio system, then all speakers of my 5.1.2 system are used. Is there a menu option I missed to get stereo with Spotify on external speakers?

·
Registered
17,806 Posts

Vivid mode uses max brightness settings so, yes the ABL circuitry is going to engage more often than if you stopped using vivid mode and used more reality settings. Same would happen on any other brand OLED. In other words, your A9G is operating normally.

·
Registered
142 Posts
In response to dubusduck #5797 , I am looking at a new 2019 65A9G, are you saying that I should
might be getting a old panel design? :eek:
The 77” is supposed to have the 2020 panel. Suggest you talk to Robert Zohn at Value Electronics about the 65”.
Who knows for sure as I know the 6 series are still inter changeable with the new panels, so they all work. Worst case you get a 9 series panel, but they will sooner or later have to go to the 10 series, 2020 panels...
I was told that if you get any 55", 65" or 77" Sony A9G or any LG or Sony OLED TV with a build date of February 2020 or later you are getting LG's new 2020 OLED panel. Sony buys the OLED panels from LG and they get whatever is the latest production regardless of the model year Sony's or LG's TV series is. If you want the new 2020 OLED panel ask you dealer what stock they are delivering from.

·
All That Jazz
1,176 Posts
:cool:
Bob, in my original message to you, I was going off (see highlighted, italicized and underlined comment quoting you. I think I highlighted your quote last time too. You said "We mostly watch DVD/BD movies via our BluRay player." A DVD/BD is certainly not a UHD 4K disc; it is, well, a DVD (2K 480p), BD (again, 2K/1080p), but this is NOT a 4K UHD.

My bad for not catching the equipment line, but nevertheless, the information you shared on your viewing habits stands for itself. "No good deed goes unpunished." Who said that anyway?;) Well, I was perplexed that with such a "badboy" of a panel as the great SONY A9G, watching mere DVDs or even 2K 1080p discs was dwarfing your viewing experience. Just trying to help, my friend !:)

Sooo, are you actually The Great Bob Fosse's son? If so, it certainly goes without saying that he was admired and rightly esteemed, and you have right to be proud !

Hey, thanks for the update. I am also the owner of an Oppo 203...love that thing ! I am a sucker for a backlit remote, especially in our dark-downed theater room.

Rock on !
WOlVERNOLE. No problem. I understand and your point and it’s well taken.

As for our viewing habits, we don’t watch movies just because they are in 4K HDR, but movies that we like. The vast majority of these favorites are available only in DVD or BluRay which we either own or rent. That being said, we do own a small collection of HDR movies, a few with Dolby Vision (A Star Is Born) and some with Dolby Atmos. These are movies that we would own anyway even if they were only available in the DVD or BluRay format. We also stream movies via our 4K Apple TV. Some of these present a stunning picture on our A9G. Sadly, we lost 3D when we upgraded from the Z9D to the A9G as wee also have a small library of 3D movies :(

The bottom line, IMHO is that the A9G brings out the best of whatever format that is presented to it, whether it be DVD, BluRay, or HDR.

Yep, the son of Bob Fosse:cool:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

Avoid using vivid mode (torch mode) on any tv. It’s the most inaccurate setting to use. But than again you are entitled to use any setting to your liking.

Reactions: Bob Fosse

·
Registered
815 Posts
https://youtu.be/HDDu6UoZ99g?t=339

The dialog starts at around the 5:38 mark and here's part 2 of Value Electronics mini-TV Shootout with Sony's A8G vs. LG's CX. https://youtu.be/2_ugOlfqYGo
So both sets are very similar except for the fact that the LG has massive red tinting in the right quadrant of the screen. To me, that’s a deal breaker at least as far as these two particular sets go. I noticed it in many parts of the video.

·
Registered
388 Posts
https://youtu.be/HDDu6UoZ99g?t=339

The dialog starts at around the 5:38 mark and here's part 2 of Value Electronics mini-TV Shootout with Sony's A8G vs. LG's CX. https://youtu.be/2_ugOlfqYGo
So both sets are very similar except for the fact that the LG has massive red tinting in the right quadrant of the screen. To me, that’️s a deal breaker at least as far as these two particular sets go. I noticed it in many parts of the video.
The screen was obviously defective.

·
Registered
977 Posts
:cool:

WOlVERNOLE. No problem. I understand and your point and it’s well taken.

As for our viewing habits, we don’t watch movies just because they are in 4K HDR, but movies that we like. The vast majority of these favorites are available only in DVD or BluRay which we either own or rent. That being said, we do own a small collection of HDR movies, a few with Dolby Vision (A Star Is Born) and some with Dolby Atmos. These are movies that we would own anyway even if they were only available in the DVD or BluRay format. We also stream movies via our 4K Apple TV. Some of these present a stunning picture on our A9G. Sadly, we lost 3D when we upgraded from the Z9D to the A9G as wee also have a small library of 3D movies :(

The bottom line, IMHO is that the A9G brings out the best of whatever format that is presented to it, whether it be DVD, BluRay, or HDR.

Yep, the son of Bob Fosse:cool:
I think the hardcore videophiles often forget that many of us are legitimate film nerds and we watch what we think is interesting, not just simply because it's HDR or DV. I still have an old-school Netflix disc subscription service and while most movies I end up queuing are available on BD, I still get the occasional DVD from time to time. Some owners are baffled by why some potential buyers place such an emphasis on upscaling of lower quality content, but for many, it's extremely important. I did get rid of my old movie collection and am now focusing exclusively on a 4K disc library, but I still get my fair share of BDs and DVDs from either Netflix or Redbox.

In 2016, I tried an OLED (LG B6) and complained how bad DVDs looked and some people were trying to justify it, saying that I should not be watching DVDs on a 4K panel and should only be watching 1080p or 4K.

But until every single piece of content is available in HDR or DV - that's never going to change :)

This is one of the main reasons I bought the Sony and will probably continue to when I upgrade several years from now.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Unfortunately it can't be turned off and it will occur in every picture mode (custom, game, etc) in sdr/hdr when a static element such as a score board is displayed on the screen for a prolonged period of time. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Sony has the most aggressive dimming algorithm out of all of the Oled brands. If you have access to the other brands LG, Panasonic, Philips, etc it may be worth it for you to try one of those. The dimming still occurs in those brands but it is not as aggressive.

As others have said running the Sony in a max brightness/inaccurate mode like Vivid only makes it more noticeable.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Sony has the most aggressive dimming algorithm out of all of the Oled brands. If you have access to the other brands LG, Panasonic, Philips, etc it may be worth it for you to try one of those. The dimming still occurs in those brands but it is not as aggressive.
Incorrect. The 2020 LGs have more aggressive ABL than any other OLED on the market. Sony has laxed their ABL since late 2019.

5821 - 5840 of 6761 Posts