AVS Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 6894 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Incorrect. The 2020 LGs have more aggressive ABL than any other OLED on the market. Sony has laxed their ABL since late 2019.
Go back and read the original posters comment. He is not talking about ABL he is referencing ASBL. And Sony does still have the most aggressive ASBL dimming in 2017-2019 models compared to other brands especially in HDR.

I haven't seen the 2020 Sony or LG so I can't speak on how they have changed or remained the same for this year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was told that if you get any 55", 65" or 77" Sony A9G or any LG or Sony OLED TV with a build date of February 2020 or later you are getting LG's new 2020 OLED panel. Sony buys the OLED panels from LG and they get whatever is the latest production regardless of the model year Sony's or LG's TV series is. If you want the new 2020 OLED panel ask you dealer what stock they are delivering from.
So if my 77 A9G manufacturing date is JAN2020, I should use D-Nice 2019 settings for 77" A9G instead of 2020?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this acceptable? Or do I have to make a warranty claim at Sony, 8 month old 65ag9(European 65a9g) 420hr runtime And the phone picture does not look worse than the real picture

My 65af8 looks so much better, also with the color patterns

Something I did not expect when I bought a master serie

3448CB53-E9C8-4DA6-91A2-E423010445A2_1590962917593.jpg

DAC35B6C-99C7-4A11-BF01-539D3B0AD1E5_1590962880782.jpg

Edit:
I also detect dead pixels and a complete vertical line mismatching color

B9AD29E9-646F-4C33-B846-53F5E8D7DE26_1590970931827.jpg

926596C1-079E-45C5-8457-77818F815C84_1590970961835.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
when your tv is in standby, press i+, 5, volume + and the power button on your remote (in this order).

On the screen that appears select "self diagnosis"

The three rows of digits in the bottom of the screen should display total operation hours, boot up count and panel hours (from left to right)

Do not change anything in the service menu, unless you want to brick your TV

I would, however, not trust these numbers. On my A9F they somehow kept jumping back and forth (after about one year it displayed about 200 total usage hours, which cannot be right given that the TV was running for about 3-4 hours each day). Then, after a while it was only about 150 etc..
For the life of me I can't find i+, what am I missing?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just realized that the button layout on your remote might be different than on European models. Does yours have a display button? Then it should be that one.
Yes, but swore I tried that combo when trying. But I will try it again tonight, thanks

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Outstanding points ! Agree.

I think the hardcore videophiles often forget that many of us are legitimate film nerds and we watch what we think is interesting, not just simply because it's HDR or DV. I still have an old-school Netflix disc subscription service and while most movies I end up queuing are available on BD, I still get the occasional DVD from time to time. Some owners are baffled by why some potential buyers place such an emphasis on upscaling of lower quality content, but for many, it's extremely important. I did get rid of my old movie collection and am now focusing exclusively on a 4K disc library, but I still get my fair share of BDs and DVDs from either Netflix or Redbox.

In 2016, I tried an OLED (LG B6) and complained how bad DVDs looked and some people were trying to justify it, saying that I should not be watching DVDs on a 4K panel and should only be watching 1080p or 4K.

But until every single piece of content is available in HDR or DV - that's never going to change :)

This is one of the main reasons I bought the Sony and will probably continue to when I upgrade several years from now.
Great points ! Agree.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
...and ANOTHER thing !

First, please use the dedicated A9G thread. Second, yes, this is done automatically to reduce the risk of burn-in. I don't believe you can turn it off. Third, why are you using Vivid mode? That is meant for stores under fluorescent lighting and is not meant for general viewing at home. And it will increase your risk of burn-in.
...and fourth ! (oh never mind, three was good enough ! ):D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all!

Perhaps my solution will help more than one. I have the 77 ”A9G for 5 months. Before I had the A9F without any problem with ARC. Since I bought the A9G everything was audio and sound problems, cuts of a few seconds, turning on the TV and no sound. Everything connected to my Sony 9200W home cinema. The equipment was the same with the A9F as with the A9G. So it seemed strange to me that it was a problem with the external sound equipment. I had been crazy for months, changing HDMI cables, TV settings, external equipment ... Do you know what my solution has been? It shouldn't be that way, but for the moment doing this I have not had any audio problem again. NONE! Simply turn on the external equipment first (with your remote) and after 3 seconds turn on the TV. It is the only way I have found. And logically the problem comes from the self-start function of the external equipment with the TV. I recommend you try what I say, because my nightmares of sound problems have finally ended!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi all!

Perhaps my solution will help more than one. I have the 77 ”A9G for 5 months. Before I had the A9F without any problem with ARC. Since I bought the A9G everything was audio and sound problems, cuts of a few seconds, turning on the TV and no sound. Everything connected to my Sony 9200W home cinema. The equipment was the same with the A9F as with the A9G. So it seemed strange to me that it was a problem with the external sound equipment. I had been crazy for months, changing HDMI cables, TV settings, external equipment ... Do you know what my solution has been? It shouldn't be that way, but for the moment doing this I have not had any audio problem again. NONE! Simply turn on the external equipment first (with your remote) and after 3 seconds turn on the TV. It is the only way I have found. And logically the problem comes from the self-start function of the external equipment with the TV. I recommend you try what I say, because my nightmares of sound problems have finally ended!
This can also be accomplished by just using a Logitech remote. Set it to delay tv turn on by however many extra seconds that you need it to.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I was told that if you get any 55", 65" or 77" Sony A9G or any LG or Sony OLED TV with a build date of February 2020 or later you are getting LG's new 2020 OLED panel. Sony buys the OLED panels from LG and they get whatever is the latest production regardless of the model year Sony's or LG's TV series is. If you want the new 2020 OLED panel ask you dealer what stock they are delivering from.
Who told you this? How would anyone know if this is accurate?

·
Registered
580 Posts
If that is true, then Sony could technically update these later A9G models with the new BFI controls. They honestly should, considering A9G will continue this year as the "flagship", despite currently being inferior to the A8H.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hope I'm not getting anyone in trouble, but Robert also told me he spoke with Sony engineers and product planners recommending they do a firmware update on the A9G to support the advancements that are on the A8H.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Hi all!

That might be why I rarely have these types of issues. I use a Logitech Harmony remote and have always done that type of sequence in the chain (i.e. blu-ray player -> AVR -> TV). Seems to give it a chance that the HDMI controls can syn up with each other one at a time.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hope I'm not getting anyone in trouble, but Robert also told me he spoke with Sony engineers and product planners recommending they do a firmware update on the A9G to support the advancements that are on the A8H.
If they did this (which I can't imagine them doing, but would be great if they did) - I'm assuming it would impact all A9Gs and not just the ones that allegedly have 2020 panels? Because that kind of would be unfair to early adopters.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Who told you this? How would anyone know if this is accurate?
The 2020 panels look and measure slightly differently that's how we know. But even without any evidence, it's probable that LG Display won't be building old and new panels at the same time. Once the older panels are gone, the sets get the newer model year panel.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm curious on the build dates. If February was the change, why are D-Nice's panel settings labeled as 2019 or 2020. Shouldn't they be 2019-1/2020 and 2/2020-current? Just wondering... :)

·
Premium Member
12,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,860
The 2020 panels look and measure slightly differently that's how we know. But even without any evidence, it's probable that LG Display won't be building old and new panels at the same time. Once the older panels are gone, the sets get the newer model year panel.

IIRC the A1E was the same thing. "New" panel means nothing really.

Reactions: jrref
5841 - 5860 of 6894 Posts