AVS Forum banner

6081 - 6100 of 8370 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
bslep, nice four pictures there...QUESTION: (yes, that was ‘Crocodile Dundee’) Was that broadcast (1080i/720p) ?
You noted that you have DirecTV. Do you recommend DirecTV for broadcast 1080i instead of cable source? I am leaning DirecTV instead of Charter Cable.
Yes that was DirecTV, 1080i. I have never tried Charter cable. I tried a regional provider (Wowway) a couple years back on a great deal they had going and thought their PQ was equal to DirecTV, but I didn’t get a stable connection and kept losing the picture. So, I returned to DirecTV about a week later. I am used to the DirecTV Guide and channels. DirecTV and Dish probably have the best DVR’s (I read Dish has a great DVR). I like that I can record 5 shows at once on the DRV and watch them on any box in the house. The downside to DirecTV Is that you will lose the picture during bad storms. That will happen a handful of times throughout the year.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Can someone please help with the screen going into a black screen with a Bravia logo on the bottom right screen
I have tried everything and some really good suggestions from this forum. So, far nothing has worked, except turning the TV off and then on again. Very annoying. Last try will be a new HDMI cable, but already using a really good certified one.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I have tried everything and some really good suggestions from this forum. So, far nothing has worked, except turning the TV off and then on again. Very annoying. Last try will be a new HDMI cable, but already using a really good certified one.
That sounds like an HDMI handshake issue to me. I would definitely try another HDMI cable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the input. This is one of those opportunities that I may regret if I don't pull the trigger. Besides 8K (useless below 75 inches) what can I possibly be missing out on by buying now?
Happy Father's day All,

Well boys (and girls), I ended up bringing the A9G home on Friday. After spending all day mesmerized by the picture, I went back to the store and snatched their last A8G for the bedroom (equally amazing). The Z9D is now on dedicated console gaming duty from here on out. All in, I got both sets for less than the current advertised sale price of the A9G. Happy fathers day indeed! I am having an issue with displaying Dolby Vision on the A9G through my apple tv 4K. It seem to work fine on the A8G.. Can anyone help me with this?

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
bslep, nice four pictures there...QUESTION: (yes, that was ‘Crocodile Dundee’) Was that broadcast (1080i/720p) ?
You noted that you have DirecTV. Do you recommend DirecTV for broadcast 1080i instead of cable source? I am leaning DirecTV instead of Charter Cable.
Some more DirecTV pics. I’m just kind of in awe of this TV right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
bslep, nice four pictures there...QUESTION: (yes, that was ‘Crocodile Dundee’️) Was that broadcast (1080i/720p) ?
Some more DirecTV pics. I’️m just kind of in awe of this TV right now.
I think it looks quite nice ! Again, 1080i ?
A little difficult to tell on my phone here, but could you speak to the upconversion prowess ? Would you say that the “sharpness” is comparable to a high quality 2K (1080p) panel ? I have always believed that SONY just is King in this arena !
Again, congrats on this beauty !!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I think it looks quite nice ! Again, 1080i ?
A little difficult to tell on my phone here, but could you speak to the upconversion prowess ? Would you say that the “sharpness” is comparable to a high quality 2K (1080p) panel ? I have always believed that SONY just is King in this arena !
Again, congrats on this beauty !!
Yes, 1080 signal. Up conversion is Sony’s strength. This TV makes any signal look good. Much better than any 1080P TV I have owned.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
I tried a new cable and it didn't help. I go back and forth between inputs to correct it, and it doesn't reoccur. Until the next time. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the input. This is one of those opportunities that I may regret if I don't pull the trigger. Besides 8K (useless below 75 inches) what can I possibly be missing out on by buying now?
Happy Father's day All,

Well boys (and girls), I ended up bringing the A9G home on Friday. After spending all day mesmerized by the picture, I went back to the store and snatched their last A8G for the bedroom (equally amazing). The Z9D is now on dedicated console gaming duty from here on out. All in, I got both sets for less than the current advertised sale price of the A9G. Happy fathers day indeed! I am having an issue with displaying Dolby Vision on the A9G through my apple tv 4K. It seem to work fine on the A8G.. Can anyone help me with this?
In the Apple TV in "Match Content" are both Range and Frame Rate set to On? If it is then "Check HDMI connection", also you could try the "Enable Dolby Vision" option to see if it works but you will have to set Format and Chroma again after testing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Happy Father's day All,

Go to the video output settings in the ATV and make sure it is set to "4K SDR" and turn on match content range and frame rate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Happy Father's day All,

Do you have the HDMI input for the ATV4K set to enhanced? If not, that might be the issue. Also, make sure the ATV4K is set to 4K SDR with match frame and rate turned on. Via the settings menu on the ATV4K, you can set everything to run Dolby Vision, with the ATV4K during the converting. While that mode isn’t preferable, you could turn it on to make sure DV works with your HDMI cable etc...

·
Vendor
27,467 Posts
I just ordered the 65″ Sony A9G yesterday. Delivery is scheduled for this Tuesday. I am replacing my Panasonic TC-P46G25 plasma.

I was going to get myself a 65″ Panasonic GZ2000 but it sold out pretty quickly. (-_-)
Well you are about to getting a big bump in size and picture quality ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
App lock up

As I stated early on this forum, new A9G here, and picture quality is the best iv'e ever seen. Problem I have seems to be with the built in apps. Picture will lock up to a still but sound keeps on playing. After about 15-20 seconds the picture will restart again with sound in sync again. It will play ok for several minutes and the go to the still again. I have changed HDMI cables, went from Lan hard-wired (Have 500/500 fiber service) to wireless to no avail. This happens on youtube, Netflix, Amazon prime and Hulu. My question is if there is some kind option that I need to set (or turn off) in the TV? This is driving me crazy. I know one other person on here has experienced this but is the common to other owners on here? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As I stated early on this forum, new A9G here, and picture quality is the best iv'e ever seen. Problem I have seems to be with the built in apps. Picture will lock up to a still but sound keeps on playing. After about 15-20 seconds the picture will restart again with sound in sync again. It will play ok for several minutes and the go to the still again. I have changed HDMI cables, went from Lan hard-wired (Have 500/500 fiber service) to wireless to no avail. This happens on youtube, Netflix, Amazon prime and Hulu. My question is if there is some kind option that I need to set (or turn off) in the TV? This is driving me crazy. I know one other person on here has experienced this but is the common to other owners on here? Thank you.

Are you using ARC or eARC?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Some have reported it is critically important that in your start up sequence the TV powers up first, then the AVR, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi All,

I placed my order with Value Electronics last Friday.

Replacing my 60" Pioneer Pro-150 Kuro Plasma TV

Ordered
A9G 77" (VE is doing the burn-in and calibration)
Denon AVR-X6700H Receiver
Panasonic UB9000 UHD Player

TV will be wall mounted.

Current speaker set up is 7.1 which I will be keeping for now.

Ceiling mounted Atmos is not an option as our bedroom is right above the Den. My wife would not be happy, go figure.

Current owners. Any suggestions or tips about how to get the most out of this new beauty?

Any recommendations for 4K discs to show off the new system?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Hi All,

Ordered

TV will be wall mounted.

Ceiling mounted Atmos is not an option as our bedroom is right above the Den. My wife would not be happy, go figure.

Current owners. Any suggestions or tips about how to get the most out of this new beauty?

Congrats.

Since your TV will be calibrated upon arrival, just make sure it's set in the Custom Pro 1 picture mode. It's calibrated in SDR, so when it recognizes an HDR signal it will automatically change the necessary settings (Peak Luminance = High, Gamma = 0 etc.). You shouldn't need to change anything, but some settings are preferntial (i.e. motion, Reality Creation stuff etc.).

FYI, not sure how VE sets it up but you may or may not need to copy and manually enter your CMS and Greyscale settings in each TV input if you have multiple devices connected to your TV.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Hi All,

Ordered

TV will be wall mounted.

My A9G was calibrated at VE as well. You will end up with 3 choices for SDR viewing: Custom Pro1 for viewing in a dark room, Custom Pro2 for viewing in a bright room (which I never use), and Custom for viewing in a mid-brightness room. I use Custom Pro1 at night and Custom during the day in my semi-light controlled room. For DV, you then can choose between DV Dark and DV Bright. I don't have any 4k discs with DV, so my DV viewing is 100% streaming, and I use the internal apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc). I use DV Dark at night and DV Bright during the day. Note that for external DV sources, you should use DV Bright only, as suggested by D-Nice. Note I also inactivated the Netflix calibrated mode that came with the display, opting instead for VE's calibrated settings. Make sure your HDMI inputs are set to "Enhanced" in the settings menu, and that you use HDMI cables that are Premium Certified (such as those in the link below). Other than that, just sit back and enjoy.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lockup on apps

Some have reported it is critically important that in your start up sequence the TV powers up first, then the AVR, etc.
I have this tv connected to a new Yamaha receiver with Earc enabled. Am using a Logitech harmony remote. I will try turning on the TV first then the receiver to see if this helps. If this works I can option the remote to delay startup of the receiver. I will try this and see what happens. Thank you.

6081 - 6100 of 8370 Posts