AVS Forum banner

6101 - 6120 of 8528 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have this tv connected to a new Yamaha receiver with Earc enabled. Am using a Logitech harmony remote. I will try turning on the TV first then the receiver to see if this helps. If this works I can option the remote to delay startup of the receiver. I will try this and see what happens. Thank you.
I don't think the order necessarily matters, as long as they are sequential. Giving each device enough time to "sync" with the next piece...personally I do it the other way: device --> AVR --> TV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My A9G was calibrated at VE as well. You will end up with 3 choices for SDR viewing: Custom Pro1 for viewing in a dark room, Custom Pro2 for viewing in a bright room (which I never use), and Custom for viewing in a mid-brightness room. I use Custom Pro1 at night and Custom during the day in my semi-light controlled room. For DV, you then can choose between DV Dark and DV Bright. I don't have any 4k discs with DV, so my DV viewing is 100% streaming, and I use the internal apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc). I use DV Dark at night and DV Bright during the day. Note that for external DV sources, you should use DV Bright only, as suggested by D-Nice. Note I also inactivated the Netflix calibrated mode that came with the display, opting instead for VE's calibrated settings. Make sure your HDMI inputs are set to "Enhanced" in the settings menu, and that you use HDMI cables that are Premium Certified (such as those in the link below). Other than that, just sit back and enjoy.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
Brand new AudioQuest HDMI cables, certified for 8k, are coming with the TV so there shouldn't be a problem with throughput.

Thanks for the tips on the various viewing modes.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thank you. I will try that.
I have used a Harmony remote for many years. My suggestion is not to use the remote for a few cycles and see if you get this problem. Use Sony Remote, switch your AVR inputs manually or with the AVR remote, etc. That way you can see if it the Harmony settings that are causing an issue. I found to get everything right on the Harmony I had to fool build in some pauses and fool with the timings etc. as different devices handle commands and command speeds differently.

Reactions: bobbyg53

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Brand new AudioQuest HDMI cables, certified for 8k, are coming with the TV so there shouldn't be a problem with throughput.

Thanks for the tips on the various viewing modes.
I have never seen anything from AudioQuest that was certified in any way. Certainly never seen even an HDMI 2.0 level Premium Certified on any of their cables.

They look pretty, they make lots of nice claims, but I don't think they have ever let 3rd party independent test labs check their cables.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have used a Harmony remote for many years. My suggestion is not to use the remote for a few cycles and see if you get this problem. Use Sony Remote, switch your AVR inputs manually or with the AVR remote, etc. That way you can see if it the Harmony settings that are causing an issue. I found to get everything right on the Harmony I had to fool build in some pauses and fool with the timings etc. as different devices handle commands and command speeds differently.
I will try to use just the tv and audio remotes and see what happens. I am not using cec because that causes more problems. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did somebody else notice the protection foil on there ag9/A9g? I was shocked after a certain position of the sun on the screen, so many swirls and scratches, So luckily there was a foil protection on the screen.

Or I hope it is a protection foil and I did not damage the screen.

I have to say, this one is a warranty replacement
Maybe that is the reason

39E840E0-18EC-41AF-A290-6A2C56DDF2B4_1592954198262.jpeg

1BD68F03-5002-4D6B-9456-BED744BB2FB8_1592954372773.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
eARC and this TV isn’t working. This is not an HDMI cable issue. It’s a software issue and I can’t stand that Sony is telling me that this is a remote issue when it isn’t.

·
Registered
280 Posts
eARC and this TV isn’t working. This is not an HDMI cable issue. It’s a software issue and I can’t stand that Sony is telling me that this is a remote issue when it isn’t.
The tv goes into a black idle screen with the Bravia logo. No settings will fix this. I’ve tried everything.
You are 100% correct. eARC is broken on this TV. Audio drop outs, loss of picture, not recognizing the source and blacking out to the Bravia screen. Constantly having to do a hard reset to get everything back in order. It’s extremely annoying and I’m surprised such a serious issue hasn’t been fixed by Sony as of yet. I exchanged my A9G once because if the issue. I went back to give it another try and see if it’ll rectify. But nope, seems to be a permanent thing. And I need to use eARC for my soundbar and Dolby Atmos. Looks like I’ll have to do another exchange. Gonna go 75” Z8H if they don’t have the same eARC issue. Or back to the 77 LG GX. Those are the Only 2 sets worth It or comparable.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi. New user here. Is there no way to set favorite channels on the A9G? I can edit the list of channels to delete all but my favorites, but then I can't select any other (non-favorite) channels. I'd like to have a short list of favorite channels that I can scroll through quickly, but still be able to punch in a different channel with the number and period keys. Is that not possible?

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Have you been able to talk to anyone in customer service? I've tried, but all I get is because of the COVID-19 virus they are not taking calls, only chats. Try explaining some of this in a chat and see how frustrated you get. That a company as large as Sony hasn't figured out how to safely man a support center is surprising.

https://us.esupport.sony.com/support/s/support-contact?language=en_US

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Frankly, I think some large companies, like Sony, are using Coronavirus as an excuse to reduce customer support costs. For the premium prices it normally charges, I have generally found Sony customer support to be lacking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same issue with EARC!! I recently got a new Sonos Arc soundbar going through EARC and the tv often kicks back out to the Bravia black screen. Very annoying. This is a serious issue that Sony have to listen and fix this damn problem !! Very frustrating !!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Bravia "black screen" I'm very familiar with - as it sometimes happens during viewing. However, one of the things that I've noticed with my AVR (which is connected to HDMI 3) is that I will get two separate input sources. One for HDMI3 in general and then another one (also labeled HDMI 3) for whatever I'm using (in my case, BD player or ATV). I always have to make sure the input is set to the one that specifically reflects the device that I'm using.

Another example: If I plug my Firestick into HDMI1, I get two input options for HDMI1. One that is generic and another that says "Firestick" on it. If I go to the generic one and start trying to use the stick, I get the Bravia screensaver after several minutes. But if I go to the input labeled "Firestick," I have no such issues.

Now, in most cases, I use my Harmony 650, so whatever activity I choose, the AVR and TV will automatically go to the appropriate input. But my girlfriend is stubborn about using the Harmony and still uses the Sony remote. She changes the inputs manually while using this. Hence, is when she starts getting issues with the screensavers.

It's clearly a Sony glitch. And given the fact that the eARC bugs have been there from the beginning, I wouldn't expect a resolution anytime soon.

Reactions: bobbyg53

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi. New user here. Is there no way to set favorite channels on the A9G? I can edit the list of channels to delete all but my favorites, but then I can't select any other (non-favorite) channels. I'd like to have a short list of favorite channels that I can scroll through quickly, but still be able to punch in a different channel with the number and period keys. Is that not possible?
Sorry for the dumb question. I found the answer by using Sony's online chat.

In case anyone does not already know, up to 4 favorite channels can be assigned by pressing the TV button and then going through some menu options. To select and watch a favorite, one must push several different buttons (TV button, a few arrow buttons, Enter button), unlike my previous TV that had a dedicated Favorites button on the remote, which would scroll through the favorites (more than 4, if you like) with each push of that single button.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anyone can explain to me why running 24p movies @ 60hz refreshrate is smooth and perfect pulldown when using internal apps, but when i do it with an external source it stutters(?)

6101 - 6120 of 8528 Posts