AVS Forum banner

6121 - 6140 of 8269 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Anyone can explain to me why running 24p movies @ 60hz refreshrate is smooth and perfect pulldown when using internal apps, but when i do it with an external source it stutters(?)
What are your motionflow and cinemotion settings at?

·
Registered
816 Posts
The Bravia "black screen" I'm very familiar with - as it sometimes happens during viewing. However, one of the things that I've noticed with my AVR (which is connected to HDMI 3) is that I will get two separate input sources. One for HDMI3 in general and then another one (also labeled HDMI 3) for whatever I'm using (in my case, BD player or ATV). I always have to make sure the input is set to the one that specifically reflects the device that I'm using.

Another example: If I plug my Firestick into HDMI1, I get two input options for HDMI1. One that is generic and another that says "Firestick" on it. If I go to the generic one and start trying to use the stick, I get the Bravia screensaver after several minutes. But if I go to the input labeled "Firestick," I have no such issues.

Now, in most cases, I use my Harmony 650, so whatever activity I choose, the AVR and TV will automatically go to the appropriate input. But my girlfriend is stubborn about using the Harmony and still uses the Sony remote. She changes the inputs manually while using this. Hence, is when she starts getting issues with the screensavers.

It's clearly a Sony glitch. And given the fact that the eARC bugs have been there from the beginning, I wouldn't expect a resolution anytime soon.
The only time I get the Bravia black screen is when I’m in the internal apps and then I select the “tv” icon to go back to my satellite tv. I then either have to turn off tv, wait and turn back on OR SELECT another input, like Apple TV, and then back to satellite. Otherwise, if I just stay out of internal apps, I can switch between Apple TV , BR or satellite with no issues. External devices routed through a Yamaha RX-V3080.

·
Vendor
27,400 Posts
eARC and this TV isn’t working. This is not an HDMI cable issue. It’s a software issue and I can’t stand that Sony is telling me that this is a remote issue when it isn’t.
Its not just this TV, eARC issues can happen with pretty much all tv's......

I am about ready to pull the trigger on the A9G 77” since I have confirmed the delays in Sony's 2020 model releases...:D
Ya , this whole thing is a bummer.......

·
Banned
40 Posts
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3067666-2019-sony-a9g-master-series-oled-owner-s-thread-202.html

Vincent Teoh indicates that there has been a Dolby vision update and that now it is the most precise Dark mode and that before it was necessary to put the gamma at +2 in DArk.( 14 minutes...)
He's talking about some update, on AH8 only?
Our AG9 has had this update too?
And he is wrong. As an owner of the A8H and two A9Gs, they are identical with DoVi. Dolby Bright is still the best DoVi mode on Sony OLEDs and follows the PQ EOTF correctly with zero over brightness of mid tones or specular highlights, zero darkening of mid tones or specular highlights, zero clipping... top and bottom of the PQ EOTF.
D-Nice, isn't this only true for external devices playing Dolbyvision? Isn't the EOTF tracking for internal Sony apps with Dolbyvision more accurate with Dolbyvision Dark, or is Dolbyvision Bright the mode we should be using for both internal apps and external devices playing Dolbyvision content?

·
Registered
18,056 Posts
D-Nice, isn't this only true for external devices playing Dolbyvision? Isn't the EOTF tracking for internal Sony apps with Dolbyvision more accurate with Dolbyvision Dark, or is Dolbyvision Bright the mode we should be using for both internal apps and external devices playing Dolbyvision content?
Yes. Even though I only had the capability of measuring DV via one internal app, I currently recommend DV Dark with all internal apps.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Internal Netflix app has no sound when dolby digital plus is turned on. Switching to dolby digital fixes it for the most part but sometimes i have to reboot. Anyone having this issue? My tv is connected to a denon x3500h receiver.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Internal Netflix app has no sound when dolby digital plus is turned on. Switching to dolby digital fixes it for the most part but sometimes i have to reboot. Anyone having this issue? My tv is connected to a denon x3500h receiver.

I have an X4500H gave up on DD+ a long time ago. I am using firmware from late last year (I have skipped the last two or three) and I have relatively few problems with eARC after switching to DD. I did receive sound with DD+, but it had many skips, dropouts, and made several apps behave in an extremely erratic fashion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Reboot your TV.

Doesnt really fix it, its the same when using CEC to control external devices aswell, really laggy.
I cant get bluetooth to work either, maybe that would fix it? Nothing happens when holding volume down and the micbutton or whatever the keys were

edit: its mainly when controlling other devices, like the shield, via CEC, super annoying

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am trying to see where the screen mirror option is. I see it in my other Sony tv when you go into inputs but I don’t see it for this one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi All,

I placed my order with Value Electronics last Friday.

Replacing my 60" Pioneer Pro-150 Kuro Plasma TV

Ordered
A9G 77" (VE is doing the burn-in and calibration)
Denon AVR-X6700H Receiver
Panasonic UB9000 UHD Player

TV will be wall mounted.

Current speaker set up is 7.1 which I will be keeping for now.

Ceiling mounted Atmos is not an option as our bedroom is right above the Den. My wife would not be happy, go figure.

Current owners. Any suggestions or tips about how to get the most out of this new beauty?

Any recommendations for 4K discs to show off the new system?

Congrats... as a recent acquirer of a 65A9G and a very pleased one at that allow me to offer a suggestion on some 4k visuals to wow you. Any of the BBC Earth productions will provide wonderful "test" runs of the capabilities of your new toy. The Oceans one has absolutely stunning colours and motion. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am trying to see where the screen mirror option is. I see it in my other Sony tv when you go into inputs but I don’t see it for this one.

Don’t you just mirror it from whatever device you are using and it pops up automatically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
The A9G has a built-in Chromecast, so you would simply download the Chromecast app to your device (smart phone, tablet, laptop, etc) and mirror from that device.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hi All,

I placed my order with Value Electronics last Friday.

Replacing my 60" Pioneer Pro-150 Kuro Plasma TV

Ordered
A9G 77" (VE is doing the burn-in and calibration)
Any recommendations for 4K discs to show off the new system?
Congratulations! I bought my 65A9g right before quarentine in mid February. Best tv I've ever owned.

4k discs I really love are:
The Fifth Element
Ford vs Ferrari
Apollo 13
2001, a space odyssey
Gravity
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan

Streaming 4k from Disney Plus has been incredible such as:
Disney nature
All Star Wars

Lawrence of Arabia streamed in 4k from Prime is also incredible.

Bluray upconverted is magnificent. Titles such as:
Sexy Beast
The Graduate
Lord of the Rings, Return of the King
Grand Prix
The Thin Red Line

Reactions: mclellan83

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our tastes are similiar.

I've already bought 2001 and Lawrence of Arabia on 4k discs,

Also bought the BBC Planet Earth II / Blue Planet II double disc set.

Nice to hear about Lord of the Rings.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Congratulations! I bought my 65A9g right before quarentine in mid February. Best tv I've ever owned.

4k discs I really love are:
The Fifth Element
Ford vs Ferrari
Apollo 13
2001, a space odyssey
Gravity
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan

Streaming 4k from Disney Plus has been incredible such as:
Disney nature
All Star Wars

Lawrence of Arabia streamed in 4k from Prime is also incredible.

Bluray upconverted is magnificent. Titles such as:
Sexy Beast
The Graduate
Lord of the Rings, Return of the King
Grand Prix
The Thin Red Line

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's been a year since I have the 77AG9 and I must have 2000 hours on the clock and I still haven't had the message to refresh the panel.
is it serious doctor ? should i manually force it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's been a year since I have the 77AG9 and I must have 2000 hours on the clock and I still haven't had the message to refresh the panel.
is it serious doctor ? should i manually force it?

Im wondering the same, kinda hard to know wether 2000hours has passed tho. I bought it exactly a year ago in a week

6121 - 6140 of 8269 Posts