AVS Forum banner

6161 - 6180 of 8435 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Honest now...what about broadcast material ?, e.g. 1080i/720p ?? My guess is that your 60” Kuro looked better with that material than “upconverted” to 4K stretched out to 77”. Please discuss.
It’s hard to say which is better for broadcast. I sit about 11 feet from the screen - the same distance I had for the Kuro. If I stand a foot or two from the screen I can easily see pixels. I would say the A9G does such a nice job with broadcast that I can’t see much difference than the Kuro. I have Directv, which has a pretty nice signal.
Unless you sit very close to the screen for broadcast I think anyone would be very pleased with the picture. Obviously the image is much better with native 4K content, but it’s really good at handling the upconversion from 1080i.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m struggling with my A9G Dolby Digital Plus audio. I believe many 950G owners are facing the same problem. Maybe it’s due to their shared MediaTek MT5893 SoC?

The problem is that audio skips or intermittently cuts out whenever audio output is in DD+ mode. Audio is being sent from broadcast television or an app on the TV to a soundbar (DD+ format compatible) over ARC. Sometimes it skips a little where a word here or there is missed. Sometimes a lot when half an explosion is missed.

I’ve tried;
- Certified Monoprice cables
- eARC off/auto
- Digital audio out Auto 1/Auto 2 (Haven’t experimented with PCM mode)
- Disabling RS232 control
- Alternate media player apps (Sony Media Player, Netflix, MX Player, VLC)
- Factory reset

The only thing that sounds like it works is setting the sound output to Dolby Digital.
I probably would never notice the difference, but it would be great to understand why this is happening.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I went from a 60” Kuro to the 77 A9G and I think the Sony is considerable better. Other than the obvious size increase, the picture is brighter than the Kuro, while the other picture elements are at least as good as the Kuro. Watching a 4k blu-ray is simply amazing.
Very good to know, does anybody have any thoughts about differences in PQ between 65" and 77" OLEDS? Are there greater motion challenges in larger screen panels?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I’m struggling with my A9G Dolby Digital Plus audio. I believe many 950G owners are facing the same problem. Maybe it’s due to their shared MediaTek MT5893 SoC?

The problem is that audio skips or intermittently cuts out whenever audio output is in DD+ mode. Audio is being sent from broadcast television or an app on the TV to a soundbar (DD+ format compatible) over ARC. Sometimes it skips a little where a word here or there is missed. Sometimes a lot when half an explosion is missed.

I’ve tried;
- eARC off/auto
- Factory reset

The only thing that sounds like it works is setting the sound output to Dolby Digital.
I probably would never notice the difference, but it would be great to understand why this is happening.

I have the same problem and gave up on DD+ a long time ago. The "why" part of your question is more difficult to answer, but DD+ requires a higher data rate than DD, so it is possible some portion of Sony's eARC implementation cannot handle the DD+ data rate. Given how long this problem has existed and Sony's lack of acknowledgement, I am not confident it will ever be rectified.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

I’ve tried;
- eARC off/auto
- Factory reset

The issue has been reported to Sony by several members, but Sony never seems to do anything about it. The most hopeful response I ever received was that the engineers are working on an "audio fix," but are not sure when it will be released. I would suggest calling Sony and reporting the issue as well.

But yeah, I wouldn't expect a fix. Just run regular DD if you are satisfied with that. If not, do what I did and buy an Apple TV or other external streaming device and never worry with it again.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I would love to purchase the 65" Sony AG9. But, I own tow other Sonys, the 55HX929 and the 46xbr8. I had had to pay an extra $200.00. to buy the box for Sony internet. However, Sony has ceased internet service for both televisions and now I use Apple TV. I am afraid Sony will do the same for the AG9.:(

·
Registered
277 Posts
I’m able to get a new 75” Z8H 8K for the same price as the 77” A9G. I like the OLED tech but is it really that much better?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Using a 2013 Vizio sb4251w-b4 (Optical cable Only ) with A9g. Notice some Lip sync issues. The A/V Sync setting says is for HDMI eARC. Tried the Pass thru feature also. I would think I leave this off. Need advice for correct settings for Audio Out with tv.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was trying to determine when the Sony was connected to the Tripp-lite master switch why my bias light wasn't turning off, so I sat by the TV for 20 minutes or so and kept hearing the clicks and, surprisingly, the bias light would turn on and off when those clicks occurred. It appears the Sony has power that is continually supplied to turn those USB inputs on and off even when the TV is off. I wish there was a way to disable that feature because I have to use my bias lighting remote to turn it on and off every time I watch TV.
Anyone know if it is safe to attach bias light to the back of the TV? A friend of mine said it is not safe to do with an OLED TV due to delicate electronics inside. Found it hard to believe, but can't find anything that validates or refutes it.

Once I had this weird issue where the A9G wouldn't power on, will do click on click off in succession continuously until I removed the bias light connected to the TV USB port. Since then I have not plugged the bias light in, worried it might be harmful to the TV.

Has anyone experienced this behavior?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Anyone know if it is safe to attach bias light to the back of the TV? A friend of mine said it is not safe to do with an OLED TV due to delicate electronics inside. Found it hard to believe, but can't find anything that validates or refutes it.

Once I had this weird issue where the A9G wouldn't power on, will do click on click off in succession continuously until I removed the bias light connected to the TV USB port. Since then I have not plugged the bias light in, worried it might be harmful to the TV.

Has anyone experienced this behavior?
I had a fairly heavy Ideal-Lume that I wouldn't attempt to attach to the back of my A8H. When it was in use, I had it sitting on my wall mount bracket directly behind the TV. I now use The MediaLight. It sticks to the back of the TV and is so much better than the Ideal-Lume. If you are going to do bias lighting, I'd highly recommend it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Goodbye Sony A9G.....

So I purchased the Sony A9G about a month ago and still within my return/exchange period and just couldn’t accept the tv having numerous amounts of issues. I’m going for the 77 inch LG C9 .

Below are the few I just can’t deal with.

1.The black screen with the Bravia logo with eARC enabled. Sony isn’t fixing this anytime soon, it seems like it’s been an issue that’s been reported since Jan. I reported this to Sony and got told it wasn’t a reported issue.

2. Sometimes, the sounds goes out on internal apps within Android TV. You have to manually restart the tv for the sound on internal apps to work.

3. The last straw was:: Lagging/freezing video (but not audio) being reported on the television that seems to be an issue with this tv and the A9H.

I doubt a firmware will fix all these issues above and I’m not going to wait for a fix and lose out on exchanging the tv. I’m very disappointed but to get that Sony feel, I’m going to purchase a Nvidia Shield Pro that has Android TV and is constantly updated. It’s been real Sony. But I’m not waiting for you to release a fix to something reported months back.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Goodbye Sony A9G.....

So I purchased the Sony A9G about a month ago and still within my return/exchange period and just couldn’t accept the tv having numerous amounts of issues. I’m going for the 77 inch LG C9 .

Below are the few I just can’t deal with.

1.The black screen with the Bravia logo with eARC enabled. Sony isn’t fixing this anytime soon, it seems like it’s been an issue that’s been reported since Jan. I reported this to Sony and got told it wasn’t a reported issue.

2. Sometimes, the sounds goes out on internal apps within Android TV. You have to manually restart the tv for the sound on internal apps to work.

3. The last straw was:: Lagging/freezing video (but not audio) being reported on the television that seems to be an issue with this tv and the A9H.

I doubt a firmware will fix all these issues above and I’m not going to wait for a fix and lose out on exchanging the tv. I’m very disappointed but to get that Sony feel, I’m going to purchase a Nvidia Shield Pro that has Android TV and is constantly updated. It’s been real Sony. But I’m not waiting for you to release a fix to something reported months back.
A sad but honest report on these units, it would appear! I have been a little hesitant to purchase the A8H because of the aforementioned issues. I am definitely NOT inclined to purchase LG, despite a lot of glowing reviews (I think they may be predisposed to going LG, but that is more conjecture).
Anyone else wish to weigh in on “Goodbye SONY...” author’s points? What is actually going on with these electronics? Again, sad.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
A sad but honest report on these units, it would appear! I have been a little hesitant to purchase the A8H because of the aforementioned issues. I am definitely NOT inclined to purchase LG, despite a lot of glowing reviews (I think they may be predisposed to going LG, but that is more conjecture).
Anyone else wish to weigh in on “Goodbye SONY...” author’s points? What is actually going on with these electronics? Again, sad.
The thing is, I'm pretty sure that the majority of those issues he has (which are legitimate issues that I have experienced with the exception of freezing) could easily be eliminated by just switching to an external streamer. He said he intends to buy a ProShield - so all of those problems would be solved by not using eARC or the internal apps.

If someone thinks the LG won't have its own share of bugs, then they're sadly mistaken. A quick visit to those forums will reveal that LG also has issues - although I think LG is a bit more proactive about fixing these issues with firmware.

Not that I'm defending Sony. At this price, our TVs shouldn't have these types of issues that have been going on for so long. The dropouts have been being reported for years now on previous Sony's and nothing has been done about it. But I guess for me, personally, because my set has tolerable uniformity and I've always liked Sony's motion and upscaling, I'm willing to work around these issues.

Reactions: JD23

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The thing is, I'm pretty sure that the majority of those issues he has (which are legitimate issues that I have experienced with the exception of freezing) could easily be eliminated by just switching to an external streamer. He said he intends to buy a ProShield - so all of those problems would be solved by not using eARC or the internal apps.

If someone thinks the LG won't have its own share of bugs, then they're sadly mistaken. A quick visit to those forums will reveal that LG also has issues - although I think LG is a bit more proactive about fixing these issues with firmware.

Not that I'm defending Sony. At this price, our TVs shouldn't have these types of issues that have been going on for so long. The dropouts have been being reported for years now on previous Sony's and nothing has been done about it. But I guess for me, personally, because my set has tolerable uniformity and I've always liked Sony's motion and upscaling, I'm willing to work around these issues.

Completely agree. I think these issues are inexcusable, but they're also not significant enough to return the TV because they can be completely ameliorated by purchasing a Shield Pro or Apple TV 4k. The system works well enough for me when audio output is set to DD, but I am also awaiting the release of the next Apple TV 4k before considering an external streaming solution.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

As already mentioned, if you avoid ARC/eARC, all problems are solved.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
A couple of those issues have come up for me with the A8H and, as has been mentioned, just avoid the internal apps. That's the only time the dreaded black screen has come up is when I exit an internal app. I still use the internal apps, but if I have problems it's on me for not using my Roku Ultra. I'm just waiting for the release of the 2020 Apple 4K TV with DV (no DV with Roku Ultra) and those apps are history.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
A couple of those issues have come up for me with the A8H and, as has been mentioned, just avoid the internal apps. That's the only time the dreaded black screen has come up is when I exit an internal app. I still use the internal apps, but if I have problems it's on me for not using my Roku Ultra. I'm just waiting for the release of the 2020 Apple 4K TV with DV (no DV with Roku Ultra) and those apps are history.

Apple TV 4K already has DV. Why wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
All That Jazz
1,178 Posts
I went from a 60” Kuro to the 77 A9G and I think the Sony is considerable better. Other than the obvious size increase, the picture is brighter than the Kuro, while the other picture elements are at least as good as the Kuro. Watching a 4k blu-ray is simply amazing.
We own 3 Sony OLEDs among our homes including our 2 vacation homes. We watch everything in light controlled environments.

We owned a calibrated 60” Pioneer Kuro 151 for close to 8 years and it was amazing TV in it’s day , but time marches on. A Sony 75” Z9D replaced the Kuro and subjectively we liked it better than our Kuro. We then bought a Sony A9F OLED for our vacation condo. It proved to better the Z9D and inspired us to go OLED all the way.

Our 77” A9G resides in our main home in a dedicated small room where we sit 8’ from the TV.

While we mainly watch movies, we do watch some network TV OTA. Streaming via a Apple 4K TV or our library of DVDs and BluRays via OPPO BluRay players, we find A9G to best TV which we’ve ever owned and that includes watching OTA TV. That does not mean that that our 65” OLEDs take a second place in our vacation homes.

In summary, we find that the Sony OLEDs to be the best TVs which we have owned.

Again, this is very subjective and just one opinion and just my 2 cents. :)

6161 - 6180 of 8435 Posts