AVS Forum banner

6721 - 6740 of 8300 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don’t do guesswork nor do I give away client’s settings.
D-Nice,

I guess my post was not clear. I was not implying or stating you do guesswork. I was trying to ask that if I entered your color settings on my panel, would your posted color settings make the panel on my 77" A9G more accurate than the out of box settings? My presumption is no because the calibration you did is not for my panel. I see a lot of posters saying that they enter your settings and I'm assuming they are entering all of your settings including the color adjustments, not just black level, white level, motion settings, etc. and they say they like the results. I'm wondering how they know the calibration you did for your 77" or a client's 77" panel is going to work for their TV. Seems like they would need to get their TV calibrated to know the exact color adjustments that work on their panel.

Reactions: pbz06

·
Registered
174 Posts
Went into the service menu last night to check the hours. I'm assuming the first set of numbers (00009) are the hours I've watched on the panel. What are the other two, 00005 and the other 00009?

First number is the number of TV operation hours, second is the number of reboots, and the third is the number of panel operation hours. The first number will exceed the third if you ever keep the TV on and use the "turn off display" option.
Strange that after chatting with Sony Support Chat awhile back, and mentioned that I went into self check screen. I can no longer get into self check mode with my remote.

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
The second one is how many drinks you've had that day and the third number is how many more you need to meet the daily recommended allowance. ;)
Lol. Well they do say Monday is the new Friday. And it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right... 🤙

First number is the number of TV operation hours, second is the number of reboots, and the third is the number of panel operation hours. The first number will exceed the third if you ever keep the TV on and use the "turn off display" option.
When you say “reboots” are you meaning every time I power on/off the set?

Strange that after chatting with Sony Support Chat awhile back, and mentioned that I went into self check screen. I can no longer get into self check mode with my remote.
Skynet.

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
No, I believe it counts the number of times the Android TV OS fully reboots.
So even tho my set is not connected to the internet and I'm not using the OS or any internal app Skynet Google is in there messing around? My tv is only a few days old and it’s rebooted 5 times?

·
Registered
204 Posts
No, I believe it counts the number of times the Android TV OS fully reboots.
When I got my A9G, it had a reboot count of 3. Now the count is 12, so that means the TV has been rebooted 9 times since I got it. There was one time when the TV was off and the remote would not turn it on (I had to use the power button on the side of the TV), so that probably involved a reboot. And I may have purposely rebooted once, but that still leaves 7 reboots unaccounted for. Wouldn't I notice a reboot if it happened while I was watching or while I was turning on the TV? When do all of these reboots occur?

·
Registered
18,065 Posts
D-Nice,

I guess my post was not clear. I was not implying or stating you do guesswork. I was trying to ask that if I entered your color settings on my panel, would your posted color settings make the panel on my 77" A9G more accurate than the out of box settings? My presumption is no because the calibration you did is not for my panel. I see a lot of posters saying that they enter your settings and I'm assuming they are entering all of your settings including the color adjustments, not just black level, white level, motion settings, etc. and they say they like the results. I'm wondering how they know the calibration you did for your 77" or a client's 77" panel is going to work for their TV. Seems like they would need to get their TV calibrated to know the exact color adjustments that work on their panel.
Hi,

If you use the 77” settings I posted, yes they will improve color. My setting are not a substitute for a calibration, they are simply better than anything you get OOTB. Look at them as a try before you buy type of deal. If you like the results after you use them, then you will love a real calibration.... as long as the calibrator knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For anyone that purchased from Value Electronics and had them calibrate it - I seem to recall that Custom Pro 1 & 2 hold different Dolby Vision brightness settings. Which one is which?

·
Registered
127 Posts
If Motionflow is off. Are you guys seeing jitter during panning camera shots in HDR on the A9G? I see this in Dolby Vision with 1917 and a few others. With Motionflow on custom fluid 1 I can see soap opera effect at times(and I would rather not use it). With Motionflow set to custom min it's almost like Motionflow turned off(Jitter on pans). How do you deal with the jitter during these pan shots without using Motionflow or am I not on the right track? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If Motionflow is off. Are you guys seeing jitter during panning camera shots in HDR on the A9G? I see this in Dolby Vision with 1917 and a few others. With Motionflow on custom fluid 1 I can see soap opera effect at times(and I would rather not use it). With Motionflow set to custom min it's almost like Motionflow turned off(Jitter on pans). How do you deal with the jitter during these pan shots without using Motionflow or am I not on the right track? Thanks.
Do you have Cinemotion on Auto? I use Motionflow Off and Cinemotion on Auto, and it's smooth (other than normal inherent stutter from 24p panning). I did notice that sometimes changing motion settings during playback can cause extra stuttering. Try backing out and exiting completely. You need cinemotion enabled for it to detect 24p content embedded within a 60hz signal.

I don't like Smoothness at "1" because I instantly notice the SOE =/

Alternatively, using "Custom" and "minimum" works good for me too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you have Cinemotion on Auto? I use Motionflow Off and Cinemotion on Auto, and it's smooth (other than normal inherent stutter from 24p panning). I did notice that sometimes changing motion settings during playback can cause extra stuttering. Try backing out and exiting completely. You need cinemotion enabled for it to detect 24p content embedded within a 60hz signal.

I don't like Smoothness at "1" because I instantly notice the SOE =/

Alternatively, using "Custom" and "minimum" works good for me too.

Yes Cinemotion is on Auto, but I do change settings while checking the stutter. I will leave it at min and make sure Cinemotion is on Auto. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
For anyone that purchased from Value Electronics and had them calibrate it - I seem to recall that Custom Pro 1 & 2 hold different Dolby Vision brightness settings. Which one is which?
Custom Pro 1 is for watching SDR in a dark room. If that is how you last watched SDR, the display will automatically set the mode to DV Dark when watching DV material. Custom Pro2 is for SDR in a bright room, and the display will then automatically set to DV Bright with DV material.

·
Registered
371 Posts
On both of our VE-calibrated sets, during DV playback there is a choice of either Dolby Vision Dark or Dolby Vision Bright picture modes (Custom for Pro 1/2 disappear as choices during DV playback). The correct brightness setting for DV picture modes is always MAX, as is contrast.

@jrref advised us to try both DV Dark and DV Bright when viewing DV material and go with what looks best to you. We use both depending on room brightness at the time and how bright the DV material looks. It was great advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Custom Pro 1 is for watching SDR in a dark room. If that is how you last watched SDR, the display will automatically set the mode to DV Dark when watching DV material. Custom Pro2 is for SDR in a bright room, and the display will then automatically set to DV Bright with DV material.
D-nice - can we copy your 77" A9G settings to Custom Pro 1 and 2 as well or they take different settings?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
D-nice - can we copy your 77" A9G settings to Custom Pro 1 and 2 as well or they take different settings?
Yes, you can copy them in any picture mode.

Reactions: nmshah

·
Vendor
27,432 Posts
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are new shipments still listed as "2019" for the A9G 65"? Other similar, like the A8H, are listed online as "2020". I can't find any discussion on what has changed from 2019 to 2020 for A9G (65"). Also looking at the A8H because of the $700 price difference!. I'm not a gamer, so I don't find the Motionflow XR in the A9G compelling(should I for other reasons?), and as well, I won't be using the TV as a center channel speaker. Thanks all!
The A9G is the A9G, besides firmware there are no changes......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys.

New to the club :) (77inches)

A couple of questions if you can help me.

1. I play apple tv+ via airplay 2 from my ipad to the TV. Picture is fine but audio comes out in stereo. I have a rather older receiver which does not support dolby atmos but I can stream dolby atmos (output as DD) through the built in apps. Is this normal or should I get a multichannel sound via airplay?
2. I read about custom pro 1 and 2. I can only see one custom mode. Are these hidden or am I just blind :) ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
Hi guys.

New to the club :) (77inches)

2. I read about custom pro 1 and 2. I can only see one custom mode. Are these hidden or am I just blind :) ?

Thank you.
Custom Pro 1 and 2 are created when you have your display professionally calibrated. They are not available OOTB. There is a way to set them up yourself, but you don't really need to since you can change the settings in any of the modes (you don't need Custom Pro1/2 to do that).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Custom Pro 1 and 2 are created when you have your display professionally calibrated. They are not available OOTB. There is a way to set them up yourself, but you don't really need to since you can change the settings in any of the modes (you don't need Custom Pro1/2 to do that).
It’s worth mentioning that the Custom picture setting does behave differently than the other presets. For example, if you plug D-Nice’s settings into the Standard and Cinema presets, Standard is clearly brighter than Cinema even with identical settings. And they both look different than Custom. Custom Pro 1/2 are identical to Custom, which are unlocked through the Calman for Bravia app, and takes all of 30 seconds to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently purchased the 77" Sony. I have a FIOS One box connected to a Yamaha A3080 via HDMI and an ATV4k also connected to the A3080 via HDMI. I have a HDMI connection from the output of the A3080 to the Sony tv HDMI-3. I had the 'HDMI Signal Format' set to 'Enhanced' for HDMI-3. The FIOS One box would reboot 4 to 5 minutes after turning off the tv and AVR. I received a replacement FIOS One box and it does the same thing. I set the 'HDMI Signal Format' to 'Standard' and thanks to some posts in this thread I set the video output of the FIOS One box to 1080i. This seems to have taken care of the FIOS One box reboots.

When watching one of the two 4k FIOS channels I will switch the FIOS One box video output to 4k. Should I also enable Enhanced on the Sony?
What about when I watch something on the ATV4k? Should Enhanced be enabled and if so is there a way to automatically do that with a Harmony Elite remote control?

I am using Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cables for all connections.

6721 - 6740 of 8300 Posts