AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have recently appeared in Costco. Any info yet? Does anyone know if they have VA panels (2018 X830F, 2017 X850E) or if they have IPS panels (2018 X850F)?

They look great in the store, but the poor blacks of IPS panels wouldn’t be visible in such an environment.

The few bare bones reviews on the Costco site are inconclusive at best.

Thanks,

Pip

·
Registered
851 Posts
IPS panels except maybe the 85", new SoC, eARC, new remote AND Dolby Vision. Otherwise fairly similar to the X850F in terms of performance (maybe better Dolby Vision playback with the new SoC than the older Sony models since it supports it natively)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IPS panels except maybe the 85", new SoC, eARC, new remote AND Dolby Vision. Otherwise fairly similar to the X850F in terms of performance (maybe better Dolby Vision playback with the new SoC than the older Sony models since it supports it natively)
May I ask your source?

I haven't been able to find any concrete info.

Thanks,

Pip

·
Registered
417 Posts
May I ask your source?

Thanks,

Pip
Feel free to refer to Sony.com under the Televisions tab. ;) This is most certainly true.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feel free to refer to Sony.com under the Televisions tab. ;) This is most certainly true.
I did of course. Below I'll copy and paste the specs:

Nothing about VA or IPS panels. Only difference I can find with the 85" is Direct LED instead of Edge LED. Perhaps you have a different Sony.com page, or there is something I'm missing.

Pip

"LCD
3840 x 2160
-
Edge LED
Frame Dimming
Yes (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision)
4K HDR Processor X1™
4K X-Reality™ PRO
Live Color™ Technology
TRILUMINOS™ Display
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
Object-based HDR remaster
Motionflow™ XR 960 (Native 120 Hz), Auto mode"

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I did of course. Below I'll copy and paste the specs:

Nothing about VA or IPS panels. Only difference I can find with the 85" is Direct LED instead of Edge LED. Perhaps you have a different Sony.com page, or there is something I'm missing.

Pip

"LCD
3840 x 2160
-
Edge LED
Frame Dimming
Yes (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision)
4K HDR Processor X1™
4K X-Reality™ PRO
Live Color™ Technology
TRILUMINOS™ Display
Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
Object-based HDR remaster
Motionflow™ XR 960 (Native 120 Hz), Auto mode"
Sony rarely to never discusses/confirms VA or IPS panels, usually reviewers determine the panel type. Same thing with the number of zones on their FALD TVs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
These have recently appeared in Costco. Any info yet? Does anyone know if they have VA panels (2018 X830F, 2017 X850E) or if they have IPS panels (2018 X850F)?

They look great in the store, but the poor blacks of IPS panels wouldn’t be visible in such an environment.

The few bare bones reviews on the Costco site are inconclusive at best.

Thanks,

Pip
May I ask your source?

Thanks,

Pip
This TV has been sold at Best buy for over a month now.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all I could find on the x850g. It looks like va for the 75 and 85, didn't check the other sizes. They had it on the bb website in Canada but took it down. Looking at the 85 possibly for myself, hope it's a va as stated at this site. It is a 120 panel unlike the x800g which is a 60.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d2d11878

Best
Thanks so much! Finally something that at least appears to be factual. This site lists all the sizes as VA panels.

Does anyone know how reliable this site is? Any suggestions from mithras1 or TheSonyExperience who both stated IPS panels?

Pip

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks so much! Finally something that at least appears to be factual. This site lists all the sizes as VA panels.

Does anyone know how reliable this site is? Any suggestions from mithras1 or TheSonyExperience who both stated IPS panels?

Pip
This site is completely non-official. Get's it's info from forums, reviews, manuals etc.
There are already reviews for the 55 and 65" and they have IPS panels (including pixel structure closeups).
There is no 85" IPS so that one is almost surely a VA panel like last year ... (75" I'm sure will also turn out to have an IPS panel)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This site is completely non-official. Get's it's info from forums, reviews, manuals etc.
There are already reviews for the 55 and 65" and they have IPS panels (including pixel structure closeups).
There is no 85" IPS so that one is almost surely a VA panel like last year ...
Thanks,

Where are reviews of the 55 or 65?

Pip

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great info. Thanks so much.

Pip
Now magically watch the specs on that site change to IPS in the coming period ;) (edit: I see they are already listing the euro modelnames as having IPS panels. Probably waiting for an Rtings review before the US modelname specs get updated)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sony lists Netflix Calibrated Mode (mistake?) on their X850g site, but from what I've read, the 950G is the lowest model that has this feature. Also Dolby Atmos is listed as a future firmware update per Costco's website. It's also weird that the box itself doesn't mention Dolby Vision when I saw it in-store, although both Costco and Sony's website list it. Seemingly every other manufacturer that has a TV with DV has the logo on the actual box.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sony lists Netflix Calibrated Mode (mistake?) on their X850g site, but from what I've read, the 950G is the lowest model that has this feature. Also Dolby Atmos is listed as a future firmware update per Costco's website. It's also weird that the box itself doesn't mention Dolby Vision when I saw it in-store, although both Costco and Sony's website list it. Seemingly every other manufacturer that has a TV with DV has the logo on the actual box.
Sony doesn’t show Dolby Vision on A9F box too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I called Sony and they confirmed that the X850G does support DV but does NOT feature the Netflix Calibrated mode. The CSR said he'd tell IT about the issue on the website not being correct.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I called Sony and they confirmed that the X850G does support DV but does NOT feature the Netflix Calibrated mode. The CSR said he'd tell IT about the issue on the website not being correct.
Their 'step-up' chart which tells which features are added on the next model-up also doesn't list it until the X950G. No IMAX Enhanced either (when compared to X950G). Probably both reserved for X1 Ultimate (and Extreme?) ...
But Dolby Atmos is listed (it doesn't have eARC and the Acoustic Multi Audio for nothing).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Their 'step-up' chart which tells which features are added on the next model-up also doesn't list it until the X950G. No IMAX Enhanced either (when compared to X950G). Probably both reserved for X1 Ultimate (and Extreme?) ...
But Dolby Atmos is listed (it doesn't have eARC and the Acoustic Multi Audio for nothing).
I think the X900F has Netflix Calibrated Mode and IMAX as well.

Anyway, are there any "professional" reviews on the X850G? I am close to pulling the trigger on one but still waiting for more information.

1 - 20 of 468 Posts