AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, so it seems with a bit more reading, I have figured out the issue. It is down to my amp, it does not seem to pass through the HDR signal. If I use YouTube throug the TV App, I see the HDR logo, and if I plug my SkyQ box straight to TV and run YouTube through that .. I also get the HDR logo

So ... what are my options (apart from buying a new amp). My setup is :

Sony 850G TV
SkyQ
Denon AVR-X520BT amp (not sure if it has ARC)

How would I need to connect all this up. Would presume the skyQ would need to go into the TV, and then somehow the sound going back to the Amp

I am a newbie with all this, so please be gentle :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I ran my game consoles and disc players straight to the TV and sent the sound out to the receiver using the eARC HDMI. My receiver has an ARC HDMI in so it was pretty easy to figure out. ;)

OK, so it seems with a bit more reading, I have figured out the issue. It is down to my amp, it does not seem to pass through the HDR signal. If I use YouTube throug the TV App, I see the HDR logo, and if I plug my SkyQ box straight to TV and run YouTube through that .. I also get the HDR logo

So ... what are my options (apart from buying a new amp). My setup is :

Sony 850G TV
SkyQ
Denon AVR-X520BT amp (not sure if it has ARC)

How would I need to connect all this up. Would presume the skyQ would need to go into the TV, and then somehow the sound going back to the Amp

I am a newbie with all this, so please be gentle :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, still not having any luck, I have setup my system as below:

SkyQ Box HDMI cable to HDMI2 of TV
HDMI1 eARC HDMI cable to HDMI (IN) on amp, also tried connecting to HDMI (OUT) on amp

I have tried connecting it to the HDMI-IN and HDMI-OUT, but still no sound. Been into the TV settings, and set to Amp rather than TV Speakers. I have taken a look through the Denon AVR-X520BT manual, and cannot seem to find anything about ARC, and in the settings on the amp, there does not seem to be any option listed. Is it a case that this amp does not have ARC

What are my other options, purchase an optical cable and use that?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
So, still not having any luck, I have setup my system as below:

SkyQ Box HDMI cable to HDMI2 of TV
HDMI1 eARC HDMI cable to HDMI (IN) on amp, also tried connecting to HDMI (OUT) on amp

I have tried connecting it to the HDMI-IN and HDMI-OUT, but still no sound. Been into the TV settings, and set to Amp rather than TV Speakers. I have taken a look through the Denon AVR-X520BT manual, and cannot seem to find anything about ARC, and in the settings on the amp, there does not seem to be any option listed. Is it a case that this amp does not have ARC

What are my other options, purchase an optical cable and use that?
Since the X520BT is 4K compatible why not connect the SkyQ box directly to the AVR and pass the signal through to the TV?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since the X520BT is 4K compatible why not connect the SkyQ box directly to the AVR and pass the signal through to the TV?
I was doing this, but it seemed for some reason, that then it would not pick up HDR (going through the amp)

I have now connected the SkyQ box direct to the TV, and then running an optical cable from the TV, back to the AVR. These seems to give me the HDR and also the sound back through the amp. The only thing I don't seem to be able to do, is control the volume via the TV, through the Amp ... think this is due to lack of ARC etc

But, it seems to be working OK

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can't believe info on this set is so thin on the ground.

I pulled the trigger on an x850g yesterday during the one-day sale. Wife and I have had our eye on this for a couple of months, and this was the push I needed.

Can any more actual owners chime in with their thoughts?

I quickly tired of reading comments from people trashing the x850g and saying how much better the 900f and 950g are. Yes, those two sets have more advanced tech -- but they also cost 50- to 100-percent more than this one.

Every time we've gone to the store to view this set, we've just been blown away by the size and beauty of the image. It was love at first sight.

Granted, the set isn't situated near any others, so comparisons are difficult. It's made the lack of an actual Rtings review even more vexing.

Who else bit on Cyber Monday?
I did, I got the Sony 85" X850G for the same reasons, it's a far better deal compared to the 900 or 950; the 850G has everything on my checklist at a great price: 85" size, VA panel for deepest blacks, native 120Hz, TriLuminous Color, 10 bit color panel, and is direct back-lit LED, not Edge-Lit! The 850G does not have Full-Array Local Dimming (which can cause blooming as I perceive it), no big deal to me, and it seems to me that the 10 bit panels have much better color than the 8-bit panels using FRC to approximate colors.
So far, it looks like the 2020 year Sony lineup has no such bargain 85" with this premium set of features, there is only the X800H line that's 60Hz native (and costs as much as the 2019 120Hz X850!), or the much more expensive 900 and up models with 120Hz. So glad that I did not wait for the 2020 year Sony models, this 85" X850G is the stand-out, overall winner of a deal, just like the Sony 65" X900E was when I bought it back in 2017. Anyone thinking about it, look no more, get the 2019 Sony 85" X850G while it is still available.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You got me seriously thinking about this model. What will happen when we need hdmi 2.1 though? Will there be a workaround of some sorts? Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Has anyone experienced this. When playing a movie (physical disc) that is in a scope aspect ratio (AR) (black bars top and bottom.) When you hit the info button for the TV. It states 16:9 AR instead of the correct scope AR size.

Watched Fury 4K UHD last night and The Patriot 4K UHD last week. To clarify both scope movies are properly displayed on the TV screen in their scope AR. With black bars top and bottom. When the TV’s info button is pressed it states 16:9 AR.

If more are experiencing this I will let Sony know. Just making sure it is not ME incorrectly choosing a setting related to screen setting AR. As there are quite a few. I prefer to view my movies in their original AR. It would be nice if Sony including more info similar to the input signal and output signal that will display on the Sony 800M2 player.

These additional details of the TV video signal input and output would be beneficial as it would confirm the video signal sent from the player. Then display what the TV is outputting to the screen. This is information I miss from not having my AVR in the HDMI video signal chain. (As the AVR would display input and output for the video signal.) Currently 800M2 splits the HDMI signal output. The video output signal is sent directly to the 85X850G. This way I can choose between HDR and Dolby Vision. In addition as both these devices are using the most recent technology. (AVR is a couple years old.) Should produce the best picture quality. The audio output from the 800M2 is sent directly to the AVR. The AVR will display the input and output audio signal details. Which I find beneficial.
No one else is experiencing this if you press the INFO button on the remote. It states the AR as 16:9 for each of the scope AR films above.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I considered the HDMI 2.1 issue also, the Sony 2019 85" X850G is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.3, some 2020 Sony and other TV brand models will have HDMI 2.1. I reasoned that I would not likely for quite a while (maybe many years), need capability of anything greater than what the 2019 85" X850G Sony can do: I watch Blu-rays, some 4k discs, occasionally a DVD, play media files and stream media but nothing beyond the 4K (3840 x 2160P) 24, 30, 60 Hz that the 2019 X850G Sony with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.3 can do. It has HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, plus has eARC (an HDMI 2.1 feature!) for HD audio formats, in addition to the checklist features: VA Panel, 120Hz native, 10-bit panel, TriLuminous wide color gamut, and very importantly, Direct-Lit backlit LED. I do not play any video games, so I would not miss the VRR (Variable Rate Refresh) Auto Low-Game latency, or other features of HDMI 2.1. For a game player though, yes, those VRR, low-latency, and other HDMI 2.1 features would be a must-have when available. I've played the "waiting game" for new features before, it seems to never end. This time, I decided to get and enjoy an awesome TV, at a great price, that will do everything I want for years, until it's time I'd want a new TV anyway. Sony's site with the 85" X859G specifications is:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-85x850g/specifications

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
5,718 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Reactions: Panson

·
Registered
110 Posts
Curious, where did you find that the 2019 Sony 85X850G has a 10 bit panel.?

Would you please provide a link to this 10 bit panel spec. Thank you......
Yes, I use the site displayspecifications.com a great deal as it puts so much technical details, all in one place, you enter the TV Brand and model number in the search bar, they have many, but not all models, and not the newest TVs just out. Most all TVs are listed as 10 bits (8-bit + FRC), Frame Rate Control, alternating pixels to approximate more colors. Some of the better Sonys are 10 bit, including the 85" 85X850G, great specs all around, this is the listing:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d9431875

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just purchased the XBR-75X850G last night. Looks great, but something strange I noticed. Mine is missing the little XBR logo in the upper-right of the bezel. Any idea why that would be? I can live without it, but just curious why mine is this way?
Anyone else like this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes, I use the site displayspecifications.com a great deal as it puts so much technical details, all in one place, you enter the TV Brand and model number in the search bar, they have many, but not all models, and not the newest TVs just out. Most all TVs are listed as 10 bits (8-bit + FRC), Frame Rate Control, alternating pixels to approximate more colors. Some of the better Sonys are 10 bit, including the 85" 85X850G, great specs all around, this is the listing:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d9431875
Thank you. You and your Family take care.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I just purchased the XBR-75X850G last night. Looks great, but something strange I noticed. Mine is missing the little XBR logo in the upper-right of the bezel. Any idea why that would be? I can live without it, but just curious why mine is this way?
Anyone else like this? Thanks!
BRAVIA top left corner, and Sony logo at bottom, you're good to go.:cool:

·
Registered
5,718 Posts

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Well, my exact model (XBR-75X850G) has the XBR logo on the ones in the showroom and pictures online. So not sure why mine doesn't? Seems kinda odd.
Stickers or permanent?

341 - 360 of 475 Posts