AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
It's the permanent logo up in the upper-right hand corner.
If someone doesn't respond with the answer here, maybe contact your dealer, or as a last resort "customer non-support". Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine too has "BRAVIA" top left and "Sony" centered low.

No "XBR" that I can see. It's an 85" 850G.

Not worried.
I feel better now. I called the dealer where I bought the TV and all the new "H" models for 2020 do NOT have the XBR logo any longer. He said mine must have been manufactured towards the end of the change and they didn't get the logo due to the design change.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picture question

Hi all. I purchased a 75 850g from costco about 2 months ago. I have had on several occasions now powered the tv on to have the tv light up but no picture comes on. After holding the power button on the remote the TV will turn off and power up displaying the Sony logo and android boot screen and work again. Then it will function for days or longer before it happens again. Has anyone else had this happen? Trying to determine if I should exchange before the 90 days or just live with it hoping a future firmware release fixes it.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a way to split screen the 85” X850g?

I’ve seen the instructions on the Sony website for other models with the instructions to use the action button, but my remote does not have an action button.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jeez, I'll have to see if my set has installed the latest update.

That's my one qualm with this set. The picture is great and there's tons of bang for the buck, but the glitches such as sound dropouts and app freezes are frustrating and baffling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just picked up this set and love the picture.

However, I am having an issue with my source/input. I have a Roku Ultra connected to the HDMI 3 ARC input through a Denon X3500H. It connects fine initially, but as I'm watching content, the screen goes black and I get the message "No Device Found". The sound continues, but there is no picture. The picture comes back when I press any button on the Roku remote, but a few minutes later, the screen goes black again. I tried it with an Apple 4k TV, and the same thing happens. Handshake issue, or something else?

·
Registered
198 Posts
New Sony firmware update to v6.3624 download is now available as of today.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-55-65-75-85-/xbr-85x850g/downloads/00016705

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update

Fixes an issue where YouTube™ cannot play content after being launched from the HOME screen
Improves general performance of the TV
Don’t know if it’s my wishful imagination but it seems that after applying the new firmware the clouding issue in dark scenes has improved. It hasn’t gone away but it seems better now... to my eyes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
May 4 Edit: It's hard to tell. If the firmware helped with black levels and clouding in particular, it's subtle.

Can anyone else report in?

Don’t know if it’s my wishful imagination but it seems that after applying the new firmware the clouding issue in dark scenes has improved. It hasn’t gone away but it seems better now... to my eyes.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
New Sony firmware update to v6.3626 download is now available as of 05 14 2020

https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-55-65-75-85-/xbr-85x850g/downloads/00016725

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update

Fixes an issue where Apple AirPlay® doesn't work because the app fails to pair correctly
Improves general performance of the TV

Previous Benefits and Improvements

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.

Fixes an issue where YouTube™ cannot play content after being launched from the HOME screen
Fixes an issue where the Internet connection is lost and you need to restart the TV to reconnect
Fixes an issue where Netflix does not play UHD 4K or Dolby Vision content properly when AD2P headphones are connected

Upgrades the operating system to Android™ 9 Pie and adds the following features:

Support for Apple AirPlay® and Apple Homekit™
Integrates Dolby ATMOS support with the TV speakers
Allows you to customize the Input menu
Redesigns the Restart menu
Redesigns the Guide screen to display the current channel in a small window within the screen
Redesigns the Setting and Quick Settings menus
Redesigns the LED illumination behavior when using OK Google
Provides additional menu, interface, and icon enhancements

NOTE: For more information on the features and improvements, please go to: https://www.sony.net/androidtv-u2p
Fixes an issue where there is no sound, the sound breaks, or the volume level cannot be changed while the Mic button is active
Resolves an issue where vertical lines appear on the TV screen
Resolves an issue where the photo slideshow will freeze when switching between HDMI and USB inputs

Reactions: LondonBenji

·
Registered
419 Posts
Disappointed to see that the built-in Netflix app still suffers from occasional stuttering (screen freezes for several seconds, then the video fast-forwards like crazy to catch up to the audio) on the latest firmware.

The X850G is hands-down the best value-for-dollar of any TV I've ever bought, but the basic functionality and Smart features are more glitchy than the Samsungs I've bought in the past.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I updated to the v6.3626 firmware last night (usb.)

Before updating I took a screen picture of all my settings and also for antenna and HDMI 1 settings. Now I have a picture record of all settings. It didn’t take that long to do. A picture is truly worth a thousands words. I did this because I intend to do a complete factory reset after the new firmware was installed. CAUTION AS THIS WILL ERASE ALL USER SETTINGS. I plan to do the complete factory reset after each new firmware version update. I decide this after reading in many similar model Sony TV threads. Some individuals would encounter concerns after updating firmware. In the thread some would suggest a complete factory reset. Then the op would state that after performing a complete factory reset everything was now working again.

Update process went smoothly from downloading file, copying to usb. Before installing usb I rebooted TV once the TV rebooted. Turned off TV Installed usb and after a couple of minutes. Turned TV on and TV displayed it was updating firmware. After firmware update was completed and verified. Did a TV reboot within the TV settings menu contained (I believe from memory) within the “about” section of the TV menu. Just to make sure it had a clean reboot after new firmware was installed. Once TV rebooted performed a complete factory reset. Followed the on screen prompts to setup the TV once completed. Performed a final TV reboot and after the TV rebooted began changing ALL my settings to my previous settings contained within the screen pictures I took earlier.

Watched Avatar the eight-minute-longer Special Edition Re-Release

Picture was jaw dropping upscaled to SDR 4K 24p and audio up converted to DTS Neural X 7.2.4 both picture and audio was jaw dropping.

I also noticed (as stated above by Bryan and Kolgar) that clouding appears to have been reduced with the Sony x800M2 menu screen dark background (for ME the only time I would notice clouding. Which the amount of clouding seemed to vary daily. Also noticed would vary depending on the height position of my eyes. If I stood up or scotched down.) I never noticed clouding previously when watching a movie.

Edited to add. After several days clouding for ME is still ever changing. Somedays more notable than others. I only notice the clouding during the x800M2 menu screen. For ME not a concern as I haven’t noticed clouding appear while enjoying a movie. Haven’t had any concerns with the latest firmware update.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The X850G is hands-down the best value-for-dollar of any TV I've ever bought, but the basic functionality and Smart features are more glitchy than the Samsungs I've bought in the past.
Agree, the 85x850G is for ME the best bang for the buck. I am truly amazed with it’s stunning picture quality with each film I enjoy. I have to wear a bib or I might drown in the pool of jaw dropping juice.

Over the last couple of months I have been enjoying revisiting my blu ray collection. Recently enjoyed these films. They [email protected]@ked amazing upscaled to SDR 4K 24p and sounded amazing upconverted to 7.2.4

Some scenes within Smokey and the Bandit didn’t fair so well. Nothing with the TV possible more related to the film stock used and the newer technology of a 4K TV and 85” sizing exposing the differences contained within that particular scene

This in 4K HDR 24p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, Considering buying 75” X850G - How’s screen reflection on this as I will be using in my living room with tons of lighting.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
He's not though. Otherwise we should all just buy Z9G's right? Not going to happen. Anyway, TVs aren't just TV's anymore, with Android they can do so much more and if I hate using my TV, well, then I'm not going to use it, even my GF who isn't that normally fussed about these things has reported back that she'll go and use the projector instead or the other TV that has an Nvidia Shield instead.

"well why don't you just get one of those then". Because maybe I want everything integrated, one remote and so on. People have different wants/needs, just because mine don't align with yours, doesn't mean I'm wrong, doesn't mean you're wrong but I'm not the one taking a giant **** on someone else's input and all I said to the guy was, in my opinion, if you want picture quality, skip over the 900F and go for the 950G, you'll have a much better experience OVERALL and yes that INCLUDES the operating system.

Have either of you actually used an 850G/950G/Shield TV? If you haven't then please don't comment until you have. My first experience with Android TV was the Nvidia Shield TV and I LOVED it so I could never understand why people seemed to be so against it while I, literally won't buy any TV without it now. Then I got the 850G and was blown away by the fact that it is as fast as the Shield TV which is heralded as the best Android TV box there is, four the last 4 years running on the same processor all this time. Both the 850G and the Shield TV are a joy to use, they don't get in the way of anything, they don't annoy/frustrate/take away from the whole experience.

Then we got the 800G and.... NOW I understand why people weren't as pleased initially with Android TV as we are, now I understand where the hate is coming from and frankly, if this is the first experience people have had for Android TV, on older Sony TV's and the 900F, I get it. It's slow and clunky and even though when we first started with the Shield TV it also had Android TV 7 that was later updated to 8 (that the 850G already has), the 7 on the 800G now just feels extremely dated. I was thinking about getting a 900F for the longest time thinking, how bad could it actually be and now, based on my 800G experience, I'll absolutely 100%, no hesitation, no doubt, pay whatever the extra is to get the 950G instead, it's THAT worth it.

So no, TVs aren't just TVs anymore and picture quality isn't the only deciding factor anymore. Deal with it.
Sorry to get so late, but I don't visit this thread much and missed your ignorant reply lol. I guess my point and the other guy's point went over your head but I didn't say buy the most expensive set out there, but why a tv for better PQ rather than better smart apps. Now I didn't follow this whole thread but skimmed over quite a bit of it and lots of complaints over glitchy/flakey smart apps. Not saying they're a total waste, but all the small things ruin the experience and make it frustrating. For example, I was watching a show on Netflix last night on this TV (85x850g) and atmos via arc was acting up on it so I had to switch to 5.1 audio in the Netflix audio stream options. Do I hate the TV because of it? Hell no because I like the size and everything about the picture and have other methods of watching the show if I wanted to. I've always looked at onboard apps kind of more like a gimmick or fluff of sorts anyway. Sure, I get what you're saying about having everything "all in one", but this day an age with CEC and universal remotes it can be dead easy switching devices (even easier if you specifically use just one by default). I will bet the farm that in 5 or 6 years no one will even thing about using the onboard apps on these TVs and will be using something like a Nvidia Shield. The onboard apps will be long abandoned by Sony by then and will seem slow and/or missing the latest and greatest features. Just pull out your cell phone from 10 years ago and see exactly how dated it is now. Just as an example, I have a smart sony tv from 10 years ago and the features/apps are barely usable now. So much so that I just unplugged the wireless dongle from the USB port (that was how they had wifi back then) and just have had a Roku hooked up to it for about 4 years now. That TV still looks decent, is very usable with a roku, and gets plenty of use.

The way you seem to rate smart features above all else just makes me scratch me head. To me it sounds like someone complaining about a new car and refusing to buy it unless it has Goodyear tires on it. Tires don't last the life of the vehicle and are easily replaced with something better in the same sense that streaming devices can be replaced.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW - I would take a 900f any day over a 950g. Sony ruined the contrast of the 950G with their wide viewing screen filter. They turned a VA panel into an IPS panel with that folly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You don't think the TV having an HDMI eARC port and my receiver only being ARC have anything to do with the sound dropouts do you? I will try uninstalling the Netflix app and re-installing it, but you would think that wouldn't solve anything since I reset the TV to factory settings and the issue is still present.
As I was saying in the post above, I was having issues with streaming Netflix with atmos also. I even went as far as replacing HDMI cables (most were old and probably not up to spec anyway). Know this is from a couple of months ago, but did you ever get it sorted out? Tried switching between ARC and eARC to no avail. Not entirely sure if it's a the receiver or the TV (or combination of both) and that's what's so frustrating about these sorts of things.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry to get so late, but I don't visit this thread much and missed your ignorant reply lol. I guess my point and the other guy's point went over your head but I didn't say buy the most expensive set out there, but why a tv for better PQ rather than better smart apps. Now I didn't follow this whole thread but skimmed over quite a bit of it and lots of complaints over glitchy/flakey smart apps. Not saying they're a total waste, but all the small things ruin the experience and make it frustrating. For example, I was watching a show on Netflix last night on this TV (85x850g) and atmos via arc was acting up on it so I had to switch to 5.1 audio in the Netflix audio stream options. Do I hate the TV because of it? Hell no because I like the size and everything about the picture and have other methods of watching the show if I wanted to. I've always looked at onboard apps kind of more like a gimmick or fluff of sorts anyway. Sure, I get what you're saying about having everything "all in one", but this day an age with CEC and universal remotes it can be dead easy switching devices (even easier if you specifically use just one by default). I will bet the farm that in 5 or 6 years no one will even thing about using the onboard apps on these TVs and will be using something like a Nvidia Shield. The onboard apps will be long abandoned by Sony by then and will seem slow and/or missing the latest and greatest features. Just pull out your cell phone from 10 years ago and see exactly how dated it is now. Just as an example, I have a smart sony tv from 10 years ago and the features/apps are barely usable now. So much so that I just unplugged the wireless dongle from the USB port (that was how they had wifi back then) and just have had a Roku hooked up to it for about 4 years now. That TV still looks decent, is very usable with a roku, and gets plenty of use.

The way you seem to rate smart features above all else just makes me scratch me head. To me it sounds like someone complaining about a new car and refusing to buy it unless it has Goodyear tires on it. Tires don't last the life of the vehicle and are easily replaced with something better in the same sense that streaming devices can be replaced.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW - I would take a 900f any day over a 950g. Sony ruined the contrast of the 950G with their wide viewing screen filter. They turned a VA panel into an IPS panel with that folly.

Jesus wept..... you would have been better off just not replying at all, you've wasted your time writing all that out while still not getting it. Quit while you're behind buddy.

361 - 380 of 475 Posts