AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did, I got the Sony 85" X850G for the same reasons, it's a far better deal compared to the 900 or 950; the 850G has everything on my checklist at a great price: 85" size, VA panel for deepest blacks, native 120Hz, TriLuminous Color, 10 bit color panel, and is direct back-lit LED, not Edge-Lit! The 850G does not have Full-Array Local Dimming (which can cause blooming as I perceive it), no big deal to me, and it seems to me that the 10 bit panels have much better color than the 8-bit panels using FRC to approximate colors.
So far, it looks like the 2020 year Sony lineup has no such bargain 85" with this premium set of features, there is only the X800H line that's 60Hz native (and costs as much as the 2019 120Hz X850!), or the much more expensive 900 and up models with 120Hz. So glad that I did not wait for the 2020 year Sony models, this 85" X850G is the stand-out, overall winner of a deal, just like the Sony 65" X900E was when I bought it back in 2017. Anyone thinking about it, look no more, get the 2019 Sony 85" X850G while it is still available.
Greetings all - I've been reading through the last several pages as I'm in the market to replaced my 2011 Sharp 80" 1080p set with something newer (and slightly bigger, why not!). In the price range I'm looking at, the 850G everyone here has caught my attention....after first seeing the "new" 800H that is the same price.

It's hard for me a see a reason to get the 800H over the 850G unless there's some killer update to Sony's design for 2020 that I'm missing?

I'm currently using the Sharp with an AVR that has a Chromecast and Fire TV to feed content since "smart" TV's back then were anything but. I mostly use the Fire TV for Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, etc. and I have to use a Logitech Harmony to fire everything up together and contro the Fire TV, but that means no voice control unless I grab the Fire TV remote.

Having Google TV built in and a mike on the Sony remote gives me hope that I can just use the Google apps for those services and the eARC connection (though I'm sure my AVR is just ARC) to make my AVR into pretty much just an amp to feed the signal to the speakers.

Curious - will the ARC signal get my AVR to turn itself on when I turn the TV on? And, does it allow me to control the volume with just the Sony TV remote? That would be ideal, though I could pull out the AVR remote again and use it for power and volume if need be if the Sony remote could otherwise do everything else.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I updated to the v6.3626 firmware last night (usb.)

Before updating I took a screen picture of all my settings and also for antenna and HDMI 1 settings. Now I have a picture record of all settings. It didn’t take that long to do. A picture is truly worth a thousands words. I did this because I intend to do a complete factory reset after the new firmware was installed. CAUTION AS THIS WILL ERASE ALL USER SETTINGS. I plan to do the complete factory reset after each new firmware version update. I decide this after reading in many similar model Sony TV threads. Some individuals would encounter concerns after updating firmware. In the thread some would suggest a complete factory reset. Then the op would state that after performing a complete factory reset everything was now working again.

Update process went smoothly from downloading file, copying to usb. Before installing usb I rebooted TV once the TV rebooted. Turned off TV Installed usb and after a couple of minutes. Turned TV on and TV displayed it was updating firmware. After firmware update was completed and verified. Did a TV reboot within the TV settings menu contained (I believe from memory) within the “about” section of the TV menu. Just to make sure it had a clean reboot after new firmware was installed. Once TV rebooted performed a complete factory reset. Followed the on screen prompts to setup the TV once completed. Performed a final TV reboot and after the TV rebooted began changing ALL my settings to my previous settings contained within the screen pictures I took earlier.

Watched Avatar the eight-minute-longer Special Edition Re-Release

Picture was jaw dropping upscaled to SDR 4K 24p and audio up converted to DTS Neural X 7.2.4 both picture and audio was jaw dropping.

I also noticed (as stated above by Bryan and Kolgar) that clouding appears to have been reduced with the Sony x800M2 menu screen dark background (for ME the only time I would notice clouding. Which the amount of clouding seemed to vary daily. Also noticed would vary depending on the height position of my eyes. If I stood up or scotched down.) I never noticed clouding previously when watching a movie.

Edited to add. After several days clouding for ME is still ever changing. Somedays more notable than others. I only notice the clouding during the x800M2 menu screen. For ME not a concern as I haven’t noticed clouding appear while enjoying a movie. Haven’t had any concerns with the latest firmware update.
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
Your welcome.

The more movies I watch the more impressed I am with the 85x850G. Really has been a GREAT 4K upgrade experience.

Time to put my bib on and watch a movie.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
85 850G labeling issues

Hi Gents. I have been trying to custom label my HDMI input 1, to change it to say Panny 820 UHD player. I go to input on Hdmi 1, I scroll down to custom, and when I hit enter it goes to the input and it blinks on the Blu ray label but I can't change it. What am I missing here?..Thanks

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi Gents. I have been trying to custom label my HDMI input 1, to change it to say Panny 820 UHD player. I go to input on Hdmi 1, I scroll down to custom, and when I hit enter it goes to the input and it blinks on the Blu ray label but I can't change it. What am I missing here?..Thanks
I haven’t tried to change the input names. Did you try to press and hold the center enter button on the remote. When you have highlighted the blu ray input label.

Did you try to use the arrow buttons to see if there were any other options.

Does the vitual keyboard display at all. So you can change the input name.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven’t tried to change the input names. Did you try to press and hold the center enter button on the remote. When you have highlighted the blu ray input label.

Did you try to use the arrow buttons to see if there were any other options.

Does the virtual keyboard display at all. So you can change the input name.
Hi, I did as you asked the first 2 but no virtual keyboard appears to change the label. The update had forgotten that I had some time ago hooked up a Logitech wireless keyboard to the set, so it wasn't reading the built-in virtual keyboard. Turned on the Logitech and presto, it was working. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw that 950g owners updated with the h series firmware. Can we also do the same with the 850g?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G950F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi, I did as you asked the first 2 but no virtual keyboard appears to change the label. The update had forgotten that I had some time ago hooked up a Logitech wireless keyboard to the set, so it wasn't reading the built-in virtual keyboard. Turned on the Logitech and presto, it was working. Thanks.
Your welcome, glad you got it working.

Reactions: Gentle THX

·
Registered
419 Posts
With sites like Rtings not reviewing the 85" X850G (the only model in the line to feature a VA panel), info about that model was/is very hard to find. Here's a review from late last year in which one of the commenters compares his 55" 850G (an IPS panel) to the 85" and his friend's X900F.

https://h-m-entertainment.com/sony-x850g-review

Jonny waugh says:
April 28, 2020 at 11:30 pm
Hi this is a great review, I bought 2 XG850’s one 55” for my bedroom and one 85” for my sitting room, one thing that I must say for anyone looking to pick one up, the 85” modal with the VA panel Has far far better picture quality then the smaller modal in my bedroom with the IPS panels, its terrible when it’s dark, on the 85” the blacks are far better, as is the contrast, it also seems to display colours better, not sure why the 85” only uses the VA panel, as it’s far better, my friend has the 2018 XF900 85” and the performance is very similar which I was very surprised about baring in mind his XF900 was £4000 and my XG850 was only £2800, don’t get me wrong his is better but not by much at all, just thought I’d put this on here In case anyone is looking to buy the 85” version at the moment with all the 2020 models coming out now you could get your self a bargain, best budget jumbo screen tv IMO
The reviewer's first few replies make the mistake of saying the improved picture quality is due to FALD (which no 850G has). He later corrects himself and acknowledges -- as 85" owners know -- that the VA panel makes a big difference.

I still say this TV got short shrift in the public eye. The lack of professional reviews caused many consumers and AV enthusiasts to lump the 85" X850G in with the rest of the line, when in fact it is its own beast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all.

According to Rtings, the X950H has an excellent contrast ratio:

Native - 3170: 1

Contrast with local attenuation - 3819: 1

But the Sony X850G according to those hdtvpolska reviews:

- Minimum contrast - 3900: 1

- Hire Medium - 4600: 1

- Maximum contrast - 5400: 1

If this is true the Sony X850G has better contrast than the X950H. It is because the X950H carries the X-Wide Angle that the contrast is loaded.

Rtings not yet analyzed the X900H version that does not carry X-Wide Angle, so the contrast of this should exceed 85XG8596 since it is the same but FALD, apart from that it already has full HDMI 2.1 48GBPS prepared for what is coming

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I still say this TV got short shrift in the public eye. The lack of professional reviews caused many consumers and AV enthusiasts to lump the 85" X850G in with the rest of the line, when in fact it is its own beast.
I agree, it’s an amazing TV. That truly produces JaW dropping and stunning picture quality results.

Definitely did not receive the widespread LoVe it deserves. The frequency of this thread is an example of the few that recognizes the FULL potential of this GiANT.

Been spinning a variety of discs thru it. Made my way thru the Die Hard collection bluray set. Recently picked up the Fast and Furious 4K film collection and Daniel Craig 4K 007 film collection. Watched the 1st 2 007 films. Was completely blown away at the picture quality with the 1st 2 Fast and Furious films. Was not expecting them to be at a stratospheric picture quality level. Had to put on a dive suit and a bib to keep from drowning in a pool of drool. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi all.

According to Rtings, the X950H has an excellent contrast ratio:

Native - 3170: 1

Contrast with local attenuation - 3819: 1

But the Sony X850G according to those hdtvpolska reviews:

- Minimum contrast - 3900: 1

- Hire Medium - 4600: 1

- Maximum contrast - 5400: 1

If this is true the Sony X850G has better contrast than the X950H. It is because the X950H carries the X-Wide Angle that the contrast is loaded.
You compare results from different sources and different type of measurements. Just look at x950h review on hdtvpolska ...

·
Registered
419 Posts
EDIT: Wrong. Audio went out again last night, forcing a restart. Hope Sony fixes this in a firmware update soon.

---

Found a solution for the problem of occasionally losing all sound from the set.

The last time it happened, I went in and played with the audio-out settings. As soon as I changed the "Digital Audio Out" setting to PCM, the sound returned.

Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Oh, man, thanks! I really wasn't holding out any hope. What a great surprise!

Let's see if it fixes my sound issue.
Your welcome and good luck with your sound concern.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just received the 75" 850G from Costco. It's an amazing picture and I really enjoy playing with the calibration settings. But the one thing I can't find is how to get it off the Soap Opera effect. I've looked at everything and just can't find it.

I'd also be interested with any final calibration numbers you guys are using. It's amazing for the price paid!!! Thanks to all who have posted their thoughts and clibrations up to now.

Thanks

381 - 400 of 472 Posts