AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Just received the 75" 850G from Costco. But the one thing I can't find is how to get it off the Soap Opera effect. I've looked at everything and just can't find it.
Under HDMI picture settings——>advanced settings———>motion————>motion flow.

Reactions: 5Hawkeyes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay, another little glitch. Not that big of deal as I can use Xbox or PS4 for apps but when I did the initial set up for the Sony it paired with my cable box. Which is great, but when I go to the home button to access Netflix or any other app the sound from the cable box is still playing while I'm in Netflix.

Not quite sure what I'm missing to get this to work or what I'm doing wrong. You guys are all so helpful I thought i'd see what you think. Like I've said before, this is a beautiful TV and with a combination of the rtings.com calibration numbers and my own tweeking it's just outstanding. Being able to change the soap opera effect was great too.

Can't wait to watch some 4K with it. So far just HD and it's still amazing.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Anyone else experiencing the picture improvements with the latest firmware version in relation to the camera panning trails during camera 🎥 panning left to right in certain scenes.

So far for ME I have experienced a significant reduction to almost near no visible camera panning trails.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Just rewatched all 5 4K Transformers movies. Although previously it seemed that I was experiencing a improvement in panning camera scenes while watching various movies.

All of the Transformers movies still exhibited panning camera scenes concerns. Not saying it is only Transformers movies. I had previously experienced this on many films I watched prior too any firmware update.

At times it almost seemed worse other scenes better. I have no way to compare between this current firmware version and the previous one. Just from memory. Which is not the best way to evaluate. At times it seemed like the camera was all over the place. Up, down, right, left during some action scenes. Almost to the point visually disorientating.

There does seem to be an improvement in picture quality. I watched the films in Dolby Vision. The fine details were amazing.

There is a couple more settings I am going to try.

I did notice that sometimes the visible vertical bars are back again during some scenes. A couple firmwares back that was one of the improvements in that particular firmware’s update.

Did anyone else notice any picture quality improvements or changes with the current firmware?.

Maybe I’m loco........

·
Registered
37 Posts
While waiting for / praying my new TV will ship. Does anyone know what version of Android TV it has and how Sony is with updates (any chance it will see Android 11)? Also has anyone calibrated or had this display professionally calibrated willing to share their settings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did but its still in Order Received. That is why I am praying it ships!
I am confused on why this tv isn't getting more love because of the amazing sale at costco for the past 3 weeks.. Seems like nobody cares, and always just want to pay a premium for the highest end model.... that ain't me pimpin.... I want VALUE!!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am confused on why this tv isn't getting more love because of the amazing sale at costco for the past 3 weeks.. Seems like nobody cares, and always just want to pay a premium for the highest end model.... that ain't me pimpin.... I want VALUE!!
I don’t understand it either.

Watched The Edge bluray a couple nights ago and was amazed at how good the picture upscaled to SDR 4K 24P and the audio upconverted to DTS Neural X 7.2.4 was. If I didn’t know better I would have easily believed it was a 4K UHD title with DTS X.

The audio was VERY active throughout my room. Great dynamic range. Boats, Planes, Ginormous Bear and subtle environmental sounds.

This one also was amazing in both video SDR 4K 24P and audio DTS Neural X 7.2.4

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don’t understand it either.

Watched The Edge bluray a couple nights ago and was amazed at how good the picture upscaled to SDR 4K 24P and the audio upconverted to DTS Neural X 7.2.4 was. If I didn’t know better I would have easily believed it was a 4K UHD title with DTS X.

The audio was VERY active throughout my room. Great dynamic range. Boats, Planes, Ginormous Bear and subtle environmental sounds.

This one also was amazing in both video SDR 4K 24P and audio DTS Neural X 7.2.4

Can you tell me what version of Android TV this is running and if Sony is known or has since you had the TV provided any updates?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Can you tell me what version of Android TV this is running and if Sony is known or has since you had the TV provided any updates?
Android 9, yes each update since the beginning of this year is listed by posts under my user name. They are contained within this discussion as they were released by Sony.

I’m sure if you read the entire thread you will see others that posted updates as Sony released them. From the beginning when the 85X850G 1st became available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Android 9, yes each update since the beginning of this year is listed by posts under my user name. They are contained within this discussion as they were released by Sony.

I’m sure if you read the entire thread you will see others that posted updates as Sony released them. From the beginning when the 85X850G 1st became available.

I have not yet but thank you for the info! Anyone happen to sideload Stadia on this?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anybody have bias lighting on the back of their 85 inch, and notice that it makes a difference with the clouding/backlight bleed issue??

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The 85 inch x850 open box for $1200 or less is the stuff that legends are made of, but only linewolf is talking about this tv... If I don't experience clouding, this tv is going to be a major player!
Sony issued a statement regarding clouding on their website. The only time I see any clouding is with the Sony 800M2 UI black menu screen. If you stand up and squat down you can change the amount of clouding that is visible to your eyes. If you perform a reboot that also will change the clouding.

I haven’t experienced any clouding while enjoying a movie. I don’t even give clouding much of a thought anymore.

Congrats on your 85X850G It truly is an AMAZING TV. Make’s ME smile with each movie I enjoy.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Just rewatched all 5 4K Transformers movies. Although previously it seemed that I was experiencing a improvement in panning camera scenes while watching various movies.

All of the Transformers movies still exhibited panning camera scenes concerns. Not saying it is only Transformers movies. I had previously experienced this on many films I watched prior too any firmware update.

At times it almost seemed worse other scenes better. I have no way to compare between this current firmware version and the previous one. Just from memory. Which is not the best way to evaluate. At times it seemed like the camera was all over the place. Up, down, right, left during some action scenes. Almost to the point visually disorientating.

There does seem to be an improvement in picture quality. I watched the films in Dolby Vision. The fine details were amazing.

There is a couple more settings I am going to try.

I did notice that sometimes the visible vertical bars are back again during some scenes. A couple firmwares back that was one of the improvements in that particular firmware’s update.

Did anyone else notice any picture quality improvements or changes with the current firmware?.

Maybe I’m loco........
Nope, you're loco. J/K It's quite possible that with updates that they make some changes to settings (or change some baselines for the settings) but they can't change the overall characteristics of the TV's panel. And what kind of motion issues are we talking about here with those Transformer movies? I don't own them in 4K yet (probably never will) but I have some of them on HD-DVD and bluray and if you're talking about how choppy they are then I know exactly what you're talking about. It's because those movies move very fast and they're only filmed in 24 frames per second. On a TV with fairly quick response time like this one it's going to be very noticeable. And that's also amplified on a larger TV (especially if you sit close) simply because it's more noticeable. These movies were just as annoying in the theaters (unless you sit in the back). The flip side is if you had a TV with very slow response time, then you would have mad motion blur (this is the reason I didn't go with a 82" Samsung) but it would seem smoother. I guess you kind of have to pick your poison. Personally I'm the type of guy who always turns motion blur off in video games. Now you can turn on motion flow in the settings and play around with the two settings but if you're like me then you're not going to like the results much. The real problem stems from the movie industry sticking to their 24FPS standard when they need to bump it up to 30FPS minimum. Doesn't sound like much, but if you have a PC connected to your TV, play around with refresh rates. Don't even have to play a game or anything but just move the mouse pointer around the screen and there's a huge jump in smoothness from 24 to 30Hz.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sony issued a statement regarding clouding on their website. The only time I see any clouding is with the Sony 800M2 UI black menu screen. If you stand up and squat down you can change the amount of clouding that is visible to your eyes. If you perform a reboot that also will change the clouding.

I haven’t experienced any clouding while enjoying a movie. I don’t even give clouding much of a thought anymore.

Congrats on your 85X850G It truly is an AMAZING TV. Make’s ME smile with each movie I enjoy.
Thanks man, the more and more I read about the flaws of all the other 75 inch choices, the happier I get with the choice I made...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
that's also amplified on a larger TV (especially if you sit close) simply because it's more noticeable.
Although I didn’t make any changes to My MLP from my previous Tv a Mitz 73”740 DLP rear projection Tv. Compared to my new Sony 85X850G. They both are at the same MLP distance a little less than 8’. Both Tv screens are centered on the MLP.

The increase in screen size, like you I believe is definitely contributing to certain characteristics in some films being more notable for ME during my viewing experience.

Since January I have re watched a good amount of various physical media between 4K and bluray disc’s. The difference of the larger screen size definitely was notable for each film I watched. I would say that I am definitely getting accustomed to the larger screen size and have started to return to just enjoying the overall movie experience.

The MaGiC of Escaping into a film and just going along for the ride. With 4K JaW dropping video and magical 7.2.4 audio stimuli.

VERY happy with the performance of my Sony 85X850G.

401 - 420 of 474 Posts