AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
the screen was damaged... luckily I paid for them to come set it up, or it would have been a pain in the ass if they didn't believe me...

·
Registered
37 Posts
the screen was damaged... luckily I paid for them to come set it up, or it would have been a pain in the ass if they didn't believe me...
Costco? Thought it was a no hassle return. The old LG return is scheduled for 5-7 days out as of now. Hopefully it will go smooth. Whoever you got it from are they going to send another? I read a bunch of people having issues with damage from Costco orders (I am sure others as well just tracking the Costco Deal) and they accepted the returns without issue but could not source another set so the end user just got a refund and was told to pick out another in stock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm from Canada, and I actually bought it from bestbuy canada open box for roughly the same cost as it was new at costco, and I got burned. I cannot by the same tv again on the website... it's not there even to purchase new...I am going to see if they will agree to exchnage the tv for a higher up model. If not, I will refund. Do you know if the x800h 85 inch is better than the x850g 85 inch?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm from Canada, and I actually bought it from bestbuy canada open box for roughly the same cost as it was new at costco, and I got burned. I cannot by the same tv again on the website... it's not there even to purchase new...I am going to see if they will agree to exchnage the tv for a higher up model. If not, I will refund. Do you know if the x800h 85 inch is better than the x850g 85 inch?
Sorry no. All google results seem to be from the IPS under 85' model for the 850g. This would seem to indicate a subpar TV but I have no real experience.

Assuming the following is related to 3:2 pulldown (correct term?) the judder is maddening once noticed. Friends old 1080p projector experienced this and I could not enjoy most content.

"The X850G, on the other hand, has a 120Hz native refresh rate, and Motionflow XR 960, which makes it more suitable for watching sports in comparison to the X800H or X800G. Furthermore, the X850G is able to show 24fps movies judder-free not only from blu-ray players that output 24Hz signal but also from 60Hz sources (progressive or interlaced scan type), or even from its internal streaming apps."

·
Registered
205 Posts
If they say they can only give a store credit back I am going to be so pissed.. there is literally no other 85 inch tv I want besides the x900h, and I don't even think it's worth the money...I would be forced to buy it for $3000 cdn on black friday assuming it goes on sale....

·
Registered
37 Posts
If they say they can only give a store credit back I am going to be so pissed.. there is literally no other 85 inch tv I want besides the x900h, and I don't even think it's worth the money...I would be forced to buy it for $3000 cdn on black friday assuming it goes on sale....
Unless you bought it with points or something it should go back to the card you purchased it with. No idea of how things work outside of the US so correct me here. Do you all have Sams Club / Costco? I know they have stores there but no idea how far away they might be from your location. They are both running deals again in the US on 82-86" TVs. The fee for a yearly membership is generally less then the fee buying of buying without one. While I do prefer the Sony over the LG boxed up. If the price of it wasnt 300+ more I probably wouldn't have been so inclined to remove it from the wall. I am in no way a videofile just a normal every day user.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a membership with Costco. I just don't see any 85 inch tv that is worth the money this year, or even an 82 for that matter. The x850g hit the total sweet spot for performance/ cost.. Like you said earlier, the newer more expensive x800h is worse than the x850g by a good margin.. Companies are downgrading their product line

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a membership with Costco. I just don't see any 85 inch tv that is worth the money this year, or even an 82 for that matter. The x850g hit the total sweet spot for performance/ cost.. Like you said earlier, the newer more expensive x800h is worse than the x850g by a good margin.. Companies are downgrading their product line
Any luck on a replacement? Been watching the crap out of this and cant find any faults. I did clean it to remove the death grip and panic finger / face prints off it that happened when getting it on the wall. I will say the clouding has either greatly improved / went away as I cant see it at all when credits roll or I got use to it. Some people reported cleaning / massaging the screen which I know worked a long ass time ago with stuck pixels worked with the issue also. Still refuse to watch a video to highlight it as I know I will never be able to unsee them lol.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Watched the movie Tombstone bluray last night. Boy did it [email protected]@k amazing upscaled to 4K SDR 24P. The audio was just as amazing upconverted to DTS Neural X 7.2.4

Then I watched The Train Robbers bluray next and it was just as amazing upscaled to 4K SDR 24P. Switched to my soundbar for the audio. As it was mono.

As I continue to enjoy more movies from my collection and rewatch them with the 85X850G the more amazed I am with the overall picture quality. The fine details are just incredible.

The combination of the 800M2 and the 85X850G work VERY well together. I discovered some time ago that if you select auto within the video settings of the option menu within the M2. That it will communicate and optimize the picture settings within the 850G. Previously I always selected direct. These picture setting changes take place even though I turned off any CEC or Bravia link settings from day one. There are NO devices contained within the Bravia link.

With the M2 screen settings I selected the M2 outputs 4K 24P SDR BT709 12 bit for bluray disc’s and 4K 24P HDR BT2020 12 bit for 4K UHD disc’s

·
Registered
37 Posts
XBR85X850G - Anyone have the TV turn on for 2-3 seconds and then turn off?

Had to hard reset the TV by someone holding down the bottom 2 buttons while I turned the breaker on and off. Kind of a PITA signing back into everything. Hope this was a fluke.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
XBR85X850G - Anyone have the TV turn on for 2-3 seconds and then turn off?

Had to hard reset the TV by someone holding down the bottom 2 buttons while I turned the breaker on and off. Kind of a PITA signing back into everything. Hope this was a fluke.
You can download the Sony support app on your phone or tablet or visit the sony support section on their product website. It contains lots of information and troubleshooting procedures.

For your question above there are several additional conditions concerning TV turning on then off. That you will need to select within the Sony support to receive the proper troubleshooting method. Led blinking, no blinking led, continuous on and off over and over again, etc.

You can also do a factory data reset within the TV menu

Option B: Factory Data Reset

WARNING! Performing a factory data reset will remove all customer settings in the TV including apps, channels, and wireless network settings.

1. On the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.
  2. Select
    Settings.
  3. The next steps will vary depending on your TV menu options:
    • Select Device Preferences → Reset → Factory data reset → Erase everything → Yes.
    • Select Storage & reset → Factory data reset → Erase everything → Yes
I perform a factory data reset, erase everything after each new firmware update has been installed. Take pictures of all your settings and the settings for each input. Makes it easier to restore them to their previous selections.

Reactions: Cryogen

·
Registered
37 Posts
I contacted Sony. Since the TV would never power on long enough to get to anything the hard factory reset was my only option. I am extremely please it came back to life also concerned this will happen again.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I contacted Sony. Since the TV would never power on long enough to get to anything the hard factory reset was my only option. I am extremely please it came back to life also concerned this will happen again.
I understand now, the TV would just continuously reboot itself on then off.

Curious, what firmware version is currently installed on your 850G?.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I understand now, the TV would just continuously reboot itself on then off.

Curious, what firmware version is currently installed on your 850G?.
Press the power button, white light comes on for 2-3 seconds, and then clicks and powers off. Did not repeat it self without trying to turn it on again. Unfortunately its on the wall so no way to get to the plug (kicking my self for not putting a smart plug back there now). Didnt make any difference to leave the breaker off for the room while I waited on hold. I have been on the latest? firmware 6.3632 since I got it a few weeks ago. Not had any issues until we tried to power it on the other morning. They asked about storms and power issues which we had none.

I had updated the firmware and ensured the TV worked before mounting it. So it had been hard power cycled a few times since it ended up on the wall. No issues with any of that.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Press the power button, white light comes on for 2-3 seconds, and then clicks and powers off. Did not repeat it self without trying to turn it on again. Unfortunately its on the wall so no way to get to the plug (kicking my self for not putting a smart plug back there now). Didnt make any difference to leave the breaker off for the room while I waited on hold. I have been on the latest? firmware 6.3632 since I got it a few weeks ago. Not had any issues until we tried to power it on the other morning. They asked about storms and power issues which we had none.

I had updated the firmware and ensured the TV worked before mounting it. So it had been hard power cycled a few times since it ended up on the wall. No issues with any of that.

Glad you got it working again. Hopefully the factory data reset will be all that was needed. Concerns like these are one of the reasons I like to perform a factory data reset erase everything. After installing the latest firmware update. I follow many of the related Sony TV model discussions on AVS. I have read that many of the concerns can be fixed by performing a soft reset or factory data reset. So I just do it automatically.

I personally don’t like any of my electronics to placed into a standby mode when the off button is pressed. I would prefer an option within the settings. Where you could choose what happens when you hit the power button. I prefer a clean boot up when the TV turns on.

I installed a remote RF controlled plug in power outlet on both my Sony 850G TV and 800M2 Player. This way when I am done using them. I press the power button on the remote to turn them off. Then I turn the power off to both RF remote controlled outlets.

The oddity is that even when I turn on the TV it does not display the initial boot up screen. It just immediately turns on Displaying the current OTA channel.

How have you been enjoying your TV. From memory I believe you also have the 85”. In addition with the 7.2.4 audio. It has greatly increased my movie enjoyment experience. I have to wear a bib and life preserver just so I don’t drown. At times the picture quality is just jaw dropping and stunning.

Enjoy your new TV, I know I sure do.

Reactions: Cryogen

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad you got it working again...
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Have you noticed this issue repeat from your self or other users? I have 4 or 5 smart wifi smart plugs I could have thrown back there but didnt think about it until after and there is absolutely no way to get to any of it without taking the dam thing back down which I dread doing but probably would be a good idea as I need a higher quality LED light strips or a better bias lighting solution anyway.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Have you noticed this issue repeat from your self or other users? I have 4 or 5 smart wifi smart plugs I could have thrown back there but didnt think about it until after and there is absolutely no way to get to any of it without taking the dam thing back down which I dread doing but probably would be a good idea as I need a higher quality LED light strips or a better bias lighting solution anyway.
I have not experienced any concerns with the TV. From memory I seem to recall reading of a similar concern. When attempting to powering the TV on. From what I gathered it seemed like most concerns could be fixed by performing a factory dat reset erase everything.

If you are able to find three willing people to temporairly remove the TV from the wall. One additional person to plug in your wifi smart plug in. I would recommend it.

Jason is the owner of scenic labs and frequents this thread regularly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have not experienced any concerns with the TV...
My GF and I hung the prior LG which on paper is lighter but due to the vesa mounts being not even close to center caused us some problems. I will pull the Sony down again once I have some reliable lights and put in a smart switch at the same time. Thank you for the recommendation of Scenic Labs!

441 - 460 of 472 Posts