AVS Forum banner

461 - 474 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I understand, the two people that lifted my TV onto a stand [email protected]@ked as if they were mere seconds away from bustin a coconut. Even though the TV is only 100 pounds it is difficult to handle. I can see why they recommend three people to move it.

Just to clarify. Although I currently don't use any bias lighting. I have read of people in the discussion link I posted having good results using it. I am considering it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know all TVs are different but does anyone have calibration settings for the XBR85X850G or recommendations on how to either DIY it or find a reliable company.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I know all TVs are different but does anyone have calibration settings for the XBR85X850G or recommendations on how to either DIY it or find a reliable company.

I purchased this disc shortly after the 85X850G. But after beginning to read the discussion. I decided to not attempt any calibration til I fully understand the effect it may have on picture quality and HDR.

For ME, I am more than completely satisfied with the picture quality performance. It is at most times stunning and jaw dropping. The VERY few times it makes me wonder why. I have written off as the inherent qualities of that particular scene or the particular movie.

Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts

I purchased this disc shortly after the 85X850G. But after beginning to read the discussion. I decided to not attempt any calibration til I fully understand the effect it may have on picture quality and HDR.

For ME, I am more than completely satisfied with the picture quality performance. It is at most times stunning and jaw dropping. The VERY few times it makes me wonder why. I have written off as the inherent qualities of that particular scene or the particular movie.

Good luck
I am in no way implying this TV needs any adjustment as I am thrilled with the experience. I just normally come here for all displays I purchase or for friends / family to fine tune them. I have some great results in the past but I dont think I have owned a Sony TV since the CRT days. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am in no way implying this TV needs any adjustment as I am thrilled with the experience. I just normally come here for all displays I purchase or for friends / family to fine tune them. I have some great results in the past but I dont think I have owned a Sony TV since the CRT days. Thanks!
I understand I didn't interpret your post that way. I usually perform a basic calibration on every TV I have owned before this one. Post calibration can clearly experience the benefits of that calibration. For Me when I began reading the above linked discussion. I realised for ME there would be a HuGE learning curve. Just don't have the time to dedicate to fully understand at this time. It seemed to me that it was possible to degrad the mapping performance of the TV.

Like you the picture performance of this TV is amazing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does Sony X850G support Dolby Vision(DV) from external devices like AppleTV, Nvedia or new roku ultra 2020 ? Or it support DV only with the application in its built-in android ?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Does Sony X850G support Dolby Vision(DV) from external devices like AppleTV, Nvedia or new roku ultra 2020 ? Or it support DV only with the application in its built-in android ?
The 85X850G supports Dolby Vision.

I can verify that for the 800M2 disc player the 85X850G supports Dolby Vison. I am unable to verify any external streaming devices. As I only use physical media discs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 85X850G supports Dolby Vision.

I can verify that for the 800M2 disc player the 85X850G supports Dolby Vison. I am unable to verify any external streaming devices. As I only use physical media discs.
Thank you. But 800M2 is Sony product and compatibility may not be an issue.

Anybody-else use streaming device or other branded external device and Dolby vision works ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the 85 inch version of this tv again because of an open box price I can get it at... How are the people who own this tv enjoying it? How often do you experience clouding?

·
Registered
206 Posts
So do the x850g 85 inch people feel that there purchase means more now with the x900h 2.1 hdmi issues? I think the value on this tv has gone up quite a bit because of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you. But 800M2 is Sony product and compatibility may not be an issue.

Anybody-else use streaming device or other branded external device and Dolby vision works ?
I connected the latest Roku ultra 2020 to TV and dolby vision works fine. TV identified signal as Dolby vision and there is two video modes - dolby vision dark & dolby vision bright

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the 85 inch version of this tv again because of an open box price I can get it at... How are the people who own this tv enjoying it? How often do you experience clouding?
I see it every now and then but its rare and I am looking for it. I have asked many people if they see anything off as I dont want to tell them what to look for. No one has ever noticed anything. For what its worth.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Sony released a new firmware update today.
Firmware update to v6.4960

About this download
Benefits and Improvements
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Note: For more information on the features and improvements, please refer to the Android TV™ software update informationarticle.

Android TV software update information - Autumn 2020
A major software update is scheduled to begin in November of 2020 for your Android TV™ model. This article explains new and enhanced features, and other changes provided with this update. Please note that some features may already be included on certain 2020 TV models.
When you are ready to update the TV software, press the HELP button on the remote control, and then select System software update.

Note: The software update is being rolled out in stages and may not yet be available for your TV. If you have Automatically check for updateturned on, you will automatically receive a notification to update the TV when the software update is available.

Applicable products
  • 2020 models: A8H, A9S, X800H, Z8H, X950H (55, 65, 75), X950H (49, 85), X850H series
  • 2019 models: Z9G, A9G, X950G, X850G (55, 65, 75, 85) series
  • 2018 models: A9F, Z9F series
Features & Changes
New Features
1. Display hints for voice commands
Hints for voice commands will be displayed on the TV screen by saying “Ok Google, Voice hints” to the TV (only for built-in MIC models) or saying “Voice hints” to the microphone on the remote control.
These hints make it easier to understand what voice command should be used to perform an action on your TV.
Voice hints screen

Available languages (as of November 1, 2020)

2. Voice commands supported in Input menu / Quick Settings / TV menu
You can now operate these menus with your voice by saying the following commands to the built-in MIC on the TV:
  • “Ok Google, Input menu”
  • “Ok Google, Quick Settings”
  • “Ok Google, TV menu”
Menus that can be operated by voice are indicated with a voice icon
as shown below.
Quick Settings with Voice icons next to each menu option

Available languages (as of November 1, 2020)

3. Adds support for Apple TV app
The Apple TV app on your TV lets you access Apple TV+ and premium Apple TV channels, and buy or rent over 100,000 movies and TV shows. You can subscribe to Apple TV+ on the Apple TV app on your TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac or at .
*Apple, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc.
Enhanced Features
1. Easy settings for connected devices
If you connect a device to the TV while the TV is on, the connected device will be detected and a notification will be displayed on the TV screen. From there, follow the setup wizard to easily configure the required settings. Especially for the PlayStation®4, settings for HDMI signal format and Picture mode will be completed automatically.
Audio system connected to HDMI 3 (eARC/ARC) message with Close and Set up buttons

2. Improved the display of HDMI devices on the Input menu
After updating, only the HDMI inputs of connected devices will be displayed. (Except audio systems)
HDMI input menu screen Before [A] and After [B] the update

1. Before updating
  2. After updating
3. Improved the usability of HDMI connected devices
When an HDMI-CEC supported device is connected, an operation menu can be displayed by pressing the DISPLAY button.

You can customize the menu to remove operations that are not commonly used.
HDMI 1 menu - Customize menu to remove operations like Play, Stop

4. Automatic addition of items in Input menu / Quick Settings
Depending on your usage, frequently used apps have been automatically added to the Input menu, and frequently used settings have been automatically added to Quick Settings.
5. Added Accessibility shortcut function to Quick Settings
Shortcuts for TalkBack, Text magnification, and Screen reader have been added to Quick Settings, allowing you to turn those settings on and off directly.
Color setting description - Adjusts the color tone by controlling the color saturation level

6. Enriched Picture setting User Interface (UI) with descriptions and graphics
The UI in Picture settings has changed so that each setting item has a visual explanation of available options.
Device Preferences - Parental controls menu option

7. Improved Parental controls
You can limit the use of apps and TV usage time. (Screen time)
Since both the time range and the length of restricted time can be set by parents, they can safely control their children’s video and game time.
How to use Parental controls
Press the HOME button, then select Settings → Device Preferences → Parental controls → Channels & External inputs, Apps or Screen time.

8. Improved TV menu / Guide
If you press the TV button on your remote control to display the broadcasting channel list, detailed information about the current and next TV program can be displayed by pressing the ↑ (up) button.

9. Improved Recorded Title List User Interface (UI)
The Recorded Title List is now easier to use. For example, you can display the same TV program series in one folder.

10. Improved notification menu
When the battery level of the remote control becomes low, you will be notified in the notification menu.

Back to the top
Other Changes
1. World Wide (WW) standardization of language settings
Language settings have been standardized WW, as with smartphones. Since the language setting applies to the voice search language as well as the User Interface language displayed on the TV screen, it has become easier for anyone to use the TV.
2. Changed the Help screen
The design of the Help screen that is displayed when pressing the HELP button on the remote control has been changed.
Help screen Support information - Popular Topics - Product Alerts - Questions & Answers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice I have been looking forward to the Apple TV app arriving. Sadly so far looks like I can’t get DD sound over optical to my amp just like the tv Disney app.
Netflix and Prime on the tv app both do it with no problem.
I can get DD to work with an hdmi cable (arc) but I have been using an optical connection because I find it more reliable. With hdmi I found we were restarting the tv quite often to make the sound work. Some handshake issue I guess.

461 - 474 of 474 Posts