AVS Forum banner

2019 Sony XBR X950G Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

2M views 9K replies 889 participants last post by  400MHz MAN 
#1 · (Edited)
This post has been deleted
#195 · (Edited)
Not many consumers actually care about HDMI 2.1 though. Mainly people on AVS forum do. But actually ask shoppers at Best Buy or Costco shopping for TVs right now, are looking for HDMI 2.1 for your next tv. Most will say “huh”! So calling the line garbage is a bit premature. It will be awhile before HDMI 2.1 matters. Most consumers still looking to buy their first 4K TV.

#6 ·
https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x950g-x955g-x957g-series?showModelPrices=true

X1 Ultimate, Acoustic Multi-Audio, X-Wide Angle

also has X-tended Dynamic Range Pro, Triluminous Display, X-Motion Clarity..

Thoughts?
They forgot to add HDMI 2.1 so their whole line for 2019 is garbage as far as the customer is concerned from a value perspective.
2020 will see new consoles PS5 with new 4K Blu-ray drives with Dynamic HDR support. Too bad your new 2019 Sony TV lacks HDMI 2.1 to use this amazing new feature.
The 8K sets have it not sure about the OLEDs yet has not been confirmed either way as far as I know and 2.1 is not a deal breaker unless I was getting an 8K with the proper bandwidth. So far Sony has impressed as long as these tv meet performance expectations!

#2,155 ·
The 8K sets have it not sure about the OLEDs yet has not been confirmed either way as far as I know and 2.1 is not a deal breaker unless I was getting an 8K with the proper bandwidth. So far Sony has impressed as long as these tv meet performance expectations!
8K and 2.1 HDMI are worthless at this point. I suppose sound would benefit from 2.1, but anything else forget it.
And I know you would be future proof for awhile but nothing is future proof. No 8K content except maybe a few you tube videos and hollywood still is way behind with 4K. Most movies are finished in 2K upscaled to 4K. By the time 8K hits the mainstream the TVS will be way different with who knows what for other technologies they put into the tvs. Why manufactures are acting like 3 year olds pushing new stuff so fast is beyond me. What profit could they possibly make on 8K at this point. They should get 4K and HDR right before pushing the next technology. And Sony any LED this year is trash.Why? they are putting there money in OLED and cutting back on LEDS The X950G black levels are bad and in a dark room blooming issues big time. Seen it with my own 2 eyes.

#8 ·
So I wonder if this is still a VA panel and not IPS? I wonder what X-Wide Angle is, exactly...

Either way, personally I'm not too concerned with wide viewing angles, so I hope the contrast/black stays as good as with the X900. I'm more interested in what the new X1 Ultimate brings to the table!

HDMI 2.1 or not? I guess we will see, but I'm guessing it won't it. This isn't a Master Series.

My thoughts are that HDMI 2.1 isn't even a thing to 99% of people, and won't be for another 2-3 years or so, so I don't think it's *crazy* for Sony to release these without HDMI 2.1. I'm an enthusiast and a nerd, and even I couldn't care less about HDMI 2.1 on a TV in this price range with respect to anything but solid future proofing.
Will the average consumer require or notice the benefits from HDMI 2.1 in the next 3-5 years? Probably not.
Will the average enthusiast require or notice in the next year or two? Probably not. And in three years, most of you will probably buy a new TV anyway so whatever. =P

#10 ·
So I wonder if this is still a VA panel and not IPS? I wonder what X-Wide Angle is, exactly...

Either way, personally I'm not too concerned with wide viewing angles, so I hope the contrast/black stays as good as with the X900.
It's a VA panel with the X-wide angle layer used on the ZDF that gave it grayish blacks compared to the older Z9D. That will degrade the contrast ratio to the 3000:1 neighborhood measured for the Z9F with local dimming on - more like 1500:1 native contrast ratio which is very IPS-like. So blacks will be more grayish and the X-wide layer will likely add to blooming also. On the plus side, off angle viewing will improve close to an IPS panel.

#9 ·
My next set will have HDMI 2.1, as I want to future proof myself for next gen gaming consoles that are estimated to be released in 2020. I like the 900f, so was hoping HDMI 2.1 would be included in its successor. Since it wasn’t highlighted on the press release, I’m think it won’t be included.

#711 ·
Keep in mind that HDMI 2.1 is still in its infancy which means that future proofing for next gen gaming consoles is iffy, at best. If gaming is your interest, I’d buy the console first and then choose a TV with HDMI 2.1 that is certified to work with that console as specified by the console manufacturer.

#13 · (Edited)
no HDMI 2.1 and X-wide to tank the contrast ? hard pass

in 2020 the 4K Sonys should have HDMI 2.1, but I hope to God they drop the X-wide crap ..

edit:
XG95 Series (85”, 75”, 65” and 55” models) 4K HDR Full Array LED TV
- Features Picture Processor X1 Ultimate providing the ultimate 4K HDR viewing experience with the following technologies: Object-based Super Resolution, Object-based HDR remaster, Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR and Dual database processing.
- Features full-array local dimming backlight with X-tended Dynamic Range PRO that ensures 6 times the contrast of conventional LED TVs.
- Features Acoustic Multi-Audio with Sound Positioning Tweeters; delivering Sony’s Sound-from-Picture Reality experience, action and sound are precisely aligned and your viewing becomes so much more immersive.
- Features X-Wide Angle that minimises the colour change when viewed from the side; view faithful shades and hues from wherever you watch the TV (available in 85” and 75” models.)

well at least 65" XG95 wont have X-wide, thats something .. now if it only had HDMI 2.1 ..

#14 ·
^ Is that quoted from an official Sony source? Or from a third-party? Just wondering...

I can see the X Wide being beneficial for many, but most of us with a dedicated watching spot would rather have the black levels! Ha, if I started talking about a TV's black levels to basically anyone I know... they'd be rolling their eyes so hard.

#17 ·
Although I thought the Z9F looked pretty good, a lot of its specs sorely disappoint compared to the Z9D

So I guess realistically the X95G wont be better or as good as the Z9F or will it...I hope I am wrong

I guess I will just have to get a Z9G...ya right lol

#18 ·
The Z9F is great for a lighted family room, not so much for a traditional dark theater room. The X95G is the mid-level LCD, a follow-on to the 900E and 900F, so it certainly will NOT be as good as the Z9F. It will have fewer zones, won't be as bright, so will have a lower PQ.

#21 ·
I'm at CES. A Sony rep told me the 950G will not have HDMI 2.1 but it will have eARC. No VRR. Release expect the second half of 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if its released around the same time the Master Series was released in 2018.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#3,714 ·
And as we know now this TV has issues, blooming being a big one washed out colors. I hate Sony as a company.Clearly they are putting there money into OLED and leaving there LCD line in the dust. The Hisense Hf9 clearly blows this TV away.For what they are asking for the x950g it's not worth spit. This TV is only worth 500.00 at the most.

#24 ·
The 75” x95g or the new vizio pqx?? I think the cost will be the same.

#25 ·
They probably have a ton of X900F's sitting in a warehouse they need to sell of, lol (joking as I know zero about panel logistics). They've been pretty discounted for some time now. I'm hoping to pick up a XBR65X900F in the $1000 range, but I'm not holding my breath.

I want a new TV. I've been sitting on my 720p 50" Samsung Plasma (that I still love, just want something bigger) for going on 8 years now. But I don't want to spend more than a grand if it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, because I feel like the benefits of HDMI 2.1 will certainly be present in about 2-3 years. I want to keep my next set for ~8 years like I always do. I'd hate to be tempted to replace a $2000 TV in 2-3 years, personally.

Maybe I'll just wait another year, but I wouldn't be surprised if even next year only the high-end models get HDMI 2.1 (i.e. $2000 and up). That'd be OK for me though, as I don't mind spending two grand on something that will last and be (more or less) future proof.

#29 ·
All i know right now is the 900F will run alongside the X950G lending credence to the fact that this may in fact replace the 930/940 price point and tier.

#31 ·
It is odd that every year there is a new model/letter C, D, E, F, and now G. The only model/letter that lasted for more than 1 year, 3 years to be exact was the Z9D. If 2019 was going to be all G models, why would Sony come up with the Z9F near the end of 2018 if it was going to dropped for a G in 2019. So maybe you are right the 900F will have a 2 year run. I still say Z9F is very much a sideways somewhat downwards move compared to a Z9D.

For the most part I don't think the Z9F is that much better than a 900F for the money. Every model year mostly brings improvements and if the 900Fs successor was the 950G I would expect the 950G to be better than the Z9F.

It starts getting confusing with their letter tier performance structure

900F midrange
950G upper midrange...kinda like 930/940E
Z9F high end range
Z9G ultra high end range
Z9I super ultra high end range lol

#40 ·

In the video it shows an X90G so that will be the900F replacement
it appears that the X950G is indeed more or less a X940E replacement...and it sure looks nice too
I am thinking the X950G for the 75" will have an introductory price of $6000 US
I hope it really kicks up the contrast and black level performance a few notches over the Z9F

Hell I would want a Z9G, but what I want and can afford are two different things.
My prediction is the 85" Z9G will be $10,000 US or more

#41 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqG94cu0GoE

In the video it shows an X90G so that will be the900F replacement
it appears that the X950G is indeed more or less a X940E replacement...and it sure looks nice too
I am thinking the X950G for the 75" will have an introductory price of $6000 US
I hope it really kicks up the contrast and black level performance a few notches over the Z9F

Hell I would want a Z9G, but what I want and can afford are two different things.
My prediction is the 85" Z9G will be $10,000 US or more
I am hoping they can kick up contrast by 2.5x to get back to the 940E or 3x to at least match the Vizio PQ. More would be nice!