AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 6995 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand what goes into Sony developers' heads to remove min, high and max cinemotion settings and degrade smoothness and clearness sliders from 1-5 to only 1-3? Which brainhead thought of this? These settings are the most degraded out of any other major TV manufacturer.LG, Panasonic and Samaung all have sliders from 1-10 plus alot of additional motion options. I really hope they will improve this with firmware. A tv at this price having so little motion settings available is a disgrace if you ask me. Has anyone contacted their support regarding this? The more people complain about it, the more chances they'll fix this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I jumped from Samsung to Sony due to the lack of earc. If I was you I wouldnt even think to stay with Samsung when you own a dolby atmos bar.
Have you update your soundbar firmware?
I had some lip sync issues in the 1st day ( I dont own a soundbar yet) from my cable box, but never again. I dont know why that happened but everything works ok now.
Thanks...good to know. Even without eARC, I'm still getting Dolby Atmos (albeit, compressed)...but with a soundbar and no rear speakers, the compressed Atmos isn't bad.

I'd also have to change soundbars, since the Samsung Q80 I have doesn't have eARC, and I assume you need the tv and soundbar to have eARC to get uncompressed Atmos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All, as the total says, I have a 75 inch Sony X950G that is only a couple months old. I actually have 2 issues. One is that when I have a sound system connected via ARC/eARC, the sound cuts out for about a half second every so often, sometimes once a minute or more. This is when using the built in TV apps or if a source is connected to the TV directly and then the sound sent to the sound system via ARC/eARC. I have swapped out multiple sound systems and the problem is the tv. I have 2 separate Atmos sound bars and now I have a full 7.2.4 surround setup with a Marantz SR8012. Not sure what the deal is.

Second problem, if I say ok fine I will use another source connected directly to my Marantz receiver, there is no way to get Dolby Vision. Even if I connect a Dolby Vision blu-ray player or other source directly to the TV, no Dolby Vision. I can take the same source and plug it into one of my LG Oled TVs and get Dolby Vision right off the bat. Seems like only the built in apps can use Dolby Vision.

Has anybody experienced these issues and if so, did you find a fix? Honestly this is pretty unbelievable to me. I have 2 LG oleds 65 inches (C7 and a C9) and neither one of them have this problem.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Got my 65" 950G about a week ago and thinking of returning it for a different one. I have a left lower corner issue with the screen. Somewhat hard to see from my seated position and depending on the angle. Photo's looks worse than with real viewing material but I do keep looking for it! Return it?

Also I have questions on how the 10 point gray scale works? I have an old Colorfacts setup with an i1 that still works and have done normal 2 point gray scale before. Do you do the 2 point 1st and then the 10 point and exactly what do the 1-10 represent in the grayscale? Is 1= 100% and 10 = 10% ? or vise versa?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOdAPcuzsJoTB0PzJmXJn7QNQCcbkb7gBa5CfUZ

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO5v3-HW47EqjnEYivGds94T7aEHW9WA8XfzuXe

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMMVgF-TlBrk5x5jggq9GNTTWqv4Gop9Kwv6G9h

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do people think is going to happen next year with Sony and LCD/LED. Do you think the 2020 production line is going to feature a high end LCD/LED panel in the mold of the X900F from 2018 and the X950G from this year? or do you think they are only going to produce low to mid end LCD/LED sets and purely focus on the OLED range?

·
Registered
506 Posts
What do people think is going to happen next year with Sony and LCD/LED. Do you think the 2020 production line is going to feature a high end LCD/LED panel in the mold of the X900F from 2018 and the X950G from this year? or do you think they are only going to produce low to mid end LCD/LED sets and purely focus on the OLED range?
As beautiful as OLED is, I really have my doubts that it is the long-term future. Other companies, such as Vizio, will be entering the market, which will hopefully result in competition that lowers prices. But, I think the panel tech has reached its major height. LCD still has room to grow, and has caught up quite a bit to OLED. It also doesn't have the burn out problems that OLED has. Price and burn out of OLED is what will always give LCD its place in the market.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I will go OLED once they can hit 1400 nits. Until then, if Sony skimps on the panel again next year, I will keep the 950G until something better comes out. To answer your question, Sony has been going downhill for the past two years. The 900E was shockingly great and exceeded Sony fan's expectations. The 900F came out and was basically a side-grade besides the lower contrast ratio but did add x-motion clarity. Not worth upgrading from E to F. Then the 950G comes out with even lower contrast ratio but faster processor and better remote. For 2020, I hope Sony keeps processor strong, add way more local dimming zones ( Hey, if Vizio can do it, so can you Sony ), give us at least 8000:1 contrast ratio, remedy bloom, and keep upgrading the NITS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I just took 2 more pictures.
One with FAD settings on high and on off.
Here are the results... I am pretty sure that this is not normal. Never so such thing on my previous Samsung Q7FN
View attachment 2650760
View attachment 2650762

That's not normal, my XG is pitch black with local dimming at medium and high, the same it's with XE and it was the same with XF which I returned. Your local dimming must be defective. On a complete black screen with local dimming at medium the picture has to be pitch black.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will go OLED once they can hit 1400 nits. Until then, if Sony skimps on the panel again next year, I will keep the 950G until something better comes out. To answer your question, Sony has been going downhill for the past two years. The 900E was shockingly great and exceeded Sony fan's expectations. The 900F came out and was basically a side-grade besides the lower contrast ratio but did add x-motion clarity. Not worth upgrading from E to F. Then the 950G comes out with even lower contrast ratio but faster processor and better remote. For 2020, I hope Sony keeps processor strong, add way more local dimming zones ( Hey, if Vizio can do it, so can you Sony ), give us at least 8000:1 contrast ratio, remedy bloom, and keep upgrading the NITS.

I had all three TV's side by side XE, XF and XG. XG is the best TV of all three, it's not a downgrade compared to XE and XF, it beats them in everything, there is not even one thing that's worse on XG, even if they messured contrast lower, blacks look the best on XG.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Skyform, you returned x900f as well? Me too lol. It was a real garbage of a tv, i can't believe so many professional reviewers scored this tv as one of the best. And most people talked about being the best lcd tv. Lmfao!I fell to a crazy hype over x900f and bought it. In the store it looked great with it's tailored 4k demo, but the first thing i plugged it in my home and start playing my own content, i was absolutely shocked. I couldn't find 1 positive thing about it. Dull colours, too dark hdr, messed up DV, no 120hz for gaming, high input lag, blooming, bad motion overshoot, clunky android, etc etc.. Needless to say, i packed it back and returned it few hours later. Then i got x950g. Overall i'm quite happy with it, altough motion still isn't that great, but it is at least bearable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Skyform, you returned x900f as well? Me too lol. It was a real garbage of a tv, i can't believe so many professional reviewers scored this tv as one of the best. And most people talked about being the best lcd tv. Lmfao!I fell to a crazy hype over x900f and bought it. In the store it looked great with it's tailored 4k demo, but the first thing i plugged it in my home and start playing my own content, i was absolutely shocked. I couldn't find 1 positive thing about it. Dull colours, too dark hdr, messed up DV, no 120hz for gaming, high input lag, blooming, bad motion overshoot, clunky android, etc etc.. Needless to say, i packed it back and returned it few hours later. Then i got x950g. Overall i'm quite happy with it, altough motion still isn't that great, but it is at least bearable.

Yes, I returned it because I got XG for just 100€ more. I wasn't as unhappy with XF as you but once I did a side by side comparison I noticed how many things XG does better.

Motion was better, XF had sutter and judder, XG is much better in this. XF also had more artefacts when turning on the smooth motion.

Colours on XG are better and you can tweek them even more because of X1 ultimate processor which give you per colour adjustment. I used the settings from rtings and colours look even better with them. XF colours were off, especially blue, it was too purple, sea looked more purple blue instead of green blue and you couldn't change that. Even XE has better colours then XF. XG also has nicer white balance and better black uniformity.

Dolby vision and HDR are also a lot better on XG. On XF they are really dark with way too dark colours, it looks like it's broken and XG has three presets for dolby vision, while XF only one.

Android is so much faster, it's crazy and the quick settings are so cool you can change picture presets and brigthnes with one click and the new remote on top, it's so much more responsive, I didn't like the remote of XF, it was worse then XE.

Playing movies via usb works much smoother on XG aswell because of much faster android.

XG is better in everything compared to XF.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I recommend everyone XG owner to try the per colour adjustmens settings from rtings

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g/settings

I tried them and it really makes a difference, especially in some blues and magenta. The only thing that I didnt change was hue for green and yellow, I like them better the way they are.

It's interesting that XG is praised as one of the best for out of the box colours. Don't get me wrong, colours are very good out of the box, most TV's are not as good or even close to this but yesterday I did a side by side comparison with XE and some colours were better on XE, especially some flowers while some colours are better on XG. Rtings changes on magenta made a big difference and then this colours looked the same as on XE.

Once I put in all the settings from rtings per colour adjustment, all colours looked nearly the same as on XE, actually XG was little better but out of the box XE is better in some colours while XG in some, it's like a tie, that's why I find it interesting why XG got a better rating for out of the box colours.

The even more confusing is why XF got a better rating for out of the box colours then XE. XF was the worst, it had totaly wrong blues, too purple blue, sea looked more purple blue instead of green blue like on XE and XG and you couldn't change that as it does not have the per colour adjustment like XG.

Anyway all colours look amazing now on my XG and really deserves the best rating after calibration.

Btw I'm not using rtings white balance colour gamma adjustment points, I tried them but it made the picture too green for my taste.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had all three TV's side by side XE, XF and XG. XG is the best TV of all three, it's not a downgrade compared to XE and XF, it beats them in everything, there is not even one thing that's worse on XG, even if they messured contrast lower, blacks look the best on XG.
Maybe you should check Rtings comparison between the 900e vs the 950g. The XG does not win at everything as you claim. The panel that was used for the XE is capable of better contrast ratio and color volume. Why would you call dropping contrast ratio of a panel, from 6534 : 1 to 4833 : 1, an upgrade/win? Don't let your opinion/feelings get in the way of the facts, brother. The 950g is a great set, but you need to realize that the panel that was chosen is not of the same quality. And please notice that I am using the term 'PANEL', not TV, for a reason.

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
Maybe you should check Rtings comparison between the 900e vs the 950g. The XG does not win at everything as you claim. The panel that was used for the XE is capable of better contrast ratio and color volume. Why would you call dropping contrast ratio of a panel, from 6534 : 1 to 4833 : 1, an upgrade/win? Don't let your opinion/feelings get in the way of the facts, brother. The 950g is a great set, but you need to realize that the panel that was chosen is not of the same quality. And please notice that I am using the term 'PANEL', not TV, for a reason.
I think it wonderful he likes the set he has so much.

Glad you are so happy with your set.

--- you know the funny thing is it just a short period of time everyone is going to have to find that next perfect television. Whether it be upgrade itis, moving to a bigger sets, or possibly even a pre-mature failure

·
Registered
162 Posts

Contrast is not everything, the black uniformity of the panel on XG is a lot better then on XE, XF was also better the XE but XG wins of all three, XG also has less blooming then both because of better uniformity and local dimming seems to be different aswell which all together resaults in better and deeper blacks. Like I already said I had all three side by side and I still have my old XE, only returned XF, I was comparing them for several hours and XG looked easily the best.

I didn't have big expectations because of people saying based on reviews that XG is not that great or an improvement at all and that since XE Sony is downgrading their TV's but nearly every owner or people who saw XE and XG or XF and XG side by side experienced the same like me and said that XG is easily the best set.

I would gladly keep XF over XG if it would be better but it wasn't and I decided for the better TV/panel combo which was XG.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is really obvious that Sony is making an end to medium-higher class LCDs. They will mainly focus on lower class LCDs, whereas for higher end models, OLEDs will replace LEDs. The fact that even the same chipset X1 ultimate is working much better on A9G OLED, than on x950g LCD, is confirming this. My coworker bought A9G this week and went to check it at his home. I was wondering about the motion and put in my content. Motion was much better than on my x950g without any hiccups, judder or other fast scenes issues. Even tho it is the same X1 ultimate chipset.
I think we should face it sooner or later that all the best processing will go to OLEDs. If it wasn't for burnin i wouldn't think twice of buying A9G instead. But i'm really afraid, since there's no warranty for it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is really obvious that Sony is making an end to medium-higher class LCDs. They will mainly focus on lower class LCDs, whereas for higher end models, OLEDs will replace LEDs. The fact that even the same chipset X1 ultimate is working much better on A9G OLED, than on x950g LCD, is confirming this. My coworker bought A9G this week and went to check it at his home. I was wondering about the motion and put in my content. Motion was much better than on my x950g without any hiccups, judder or other fast scenes issues. Even tho it is the same X1 ultimate chipset.

I think we should face it sooner or later that all the best processing will go to OLEDs. If it wasn't for burnin i wouldn't think twice of buying A9G instead. But i'm really afraid, since there's no warranty for it.
Price is a big factor for many. Most agree OLED is better, but the cost to benefit ratio is definitely more debatable.

I don't get the motion issues people mention. I wonder if some got bad sets or have their settings way off. One thing I don't like about Sony is how many picture options they have with very little explanation on what they do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Price is a big factor for many. Most agree OLED is better, but the cost to benefit ratio is definitely more debatable.

I don't get the motion issues people mention. I wonder if some got bad sets or have their settings way off. One thing I don't like about Sony is how many picture options they have with very little explanation on what they do.

Eather your eyes are more desensetised to framerate or it's better on your tv because it is obviously a software problem the hardware is more than capable to give the smoothest motion as in video interpolated framerate to 120 fps because it has the newest chipset and if tvs from years ago can have smoother motion than what we are experiencing right now with this tv then there is obviously something wrong.

·
Registered
162 Posts

You have hiccups on X950G? I don't, I have them on XE and had on XF. When exatly do you have hickups, with smoothness turned on or off?

For exact the same reason I'm afraid to buy OLED aswell. I'm not willing to spend more for something that has a shorter life span and burn in possibilitis.

I don't get them either, I find motion an improvement over XE and XF.

Eather your eyes are more desensetised to framerate or it's better on your tv because it is obviously a software problem the hardware is more than capable to give the smoothest motion as in video interpolated framerate to 120 fps because it has the newest chipset and if tvs from years ago can have smoother motion than what we are experiencing right now with this tv then there is obviously something wrong.

What exactly is the problem with motion on your XG?

My XG is smoother then XE and the XF I returned. Both XE and XF have/had judder and sutter while my XG has non and motion on smoothest setting is smooth without any framerate drops while on XE and XF it had tons of drops. I couldnt belive it because my old Philips TV's from 2008 and 2009 can make supper smooth soap opera effect effect without any drops so I was like how can't a 10 years newer Sony do this. Maybe it's like this on XE and XF because of a too weak android prosessor, I'm watching everything from the TV's build in android, I didn't try anything else maybe XE and XF are butter smooth via something else like a blueray player or a gaming console, I don't know but XG doesn't have this problems.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I have no issues at all with motion on my X950G 55 inch. Everything is very smooth. Granted, I only use mine as a PC monitor, but I experience no motion issues while gaming at all. I upgraded from an X830C 49 inch, which I was also using as a monitor. The processor ended up failing in it. In my case, the X950G has been a massive upgrade. This is to be expected though.

3241 - 3260 of 6995 Posts