AVS Forum banner

3481 - 3500 of 8377 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am unable to get sound out from the built-in apps (YouTube etc.)

The basics of my setup are that all sources go to a Pioneer VSX-1123 receiver -> HDMI Out 1 (ARC) -> Sony x950G (HDMI3 eARC). Everything works fine with this set-up, esp. after I determined early on that the Pioneer AVR's video settings had to be set to "Pure" for each input (assume that's like as pass-through setting).

For the built-in YouTube, there's no sound. X950G is set to the app, so the picture displays fine. The Pioneer is set to the TV input. Confirmed in the Pioneer's settings that this source is set to ARC.

On the X950G, when I go to Settings>Display & Sound>Audio Output>Speakers and select Audio System, I first get a "Connecting to audio system" message, followed immediately by "Audio system is unavailable. Switching to TV speakers." When I was on Android 8.0, the time between those two message was maybe a second or two, during which I would hear audio for

·
Registered
323 Posts
Samsung q70r is the worst option you can get for motion. I ended up returning it after only a day. It is true it has alot of motion options, but that doesn't mean much because Samsung is the worst when it comes to motion handling and it is a well known issue. That tv was one big juddery mess and x950g is miles better. With interpolation on, it has so many artifacts that it almost looked like double image. But you don't have to take my word for it, you can see it for yourself. Just don't fall for the smooth motion of store demos.
I bought the Q80R and returned it the very next day, the black crush was unwatchable. No details what-so-ever and I could not adjust it out. Anything dark was just a big black blob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trouble with Sony apps

With the recent software update on my XBR55-950G, I am experiencing trouble with some of the built-in applications. Earlier today, Pandora would freeze and not work. That seems to be gone but nothing on YouTube works. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This never happened before, and my two 900E units are functioning perfectly.

UPDATE: Sometimes the simplest procedure works. I unplugged the set for a minute and thus far it seems to be working on Pandora and YouTube. I will, however, disable automatic updates.

·
Registered
38 Posts

The basics of my setup are that all sources go to a Pioneer VSX-1123 receiver -> HDMI Out 1 (ARC) -> Sony x950G (HDMI3 eARC). Everything works fine with this set-up, esp. after I determined early on that the Pioneer AVR's video settings had to be set to "Pure" for each input (assume that's like as pass-through setting).

For the built-in YouTube, there's no sound. X950G is set to the app, so the picture displays fine. The Pioneer is set to the TV input. Confirmed in the Pioneer's settings that this source is set to ARC.

On the X950G, when I go to Settings>Display & Sound>Audio Output>Speakers and select Audio System, I first get a "Connecting to audio system" message, followed immediately by "Audio system is unavailable. Switching to TV speakers." When I was on Android 8.0, the time between those two message was maybe a second or two, during which I would hear audio for

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is there something the other model has that the X700 doesn't?

I would take it back, but I only paid $94 bucks for it and the only other option is a more expensive Sony and I refuse to buy Samsung or Panasonic disc players because they're just garbage.
Took it back to the retailer. The DV implementation wasn’t good, my wife refused to use it and the 4K Blu ray playback was louder than my Xbox One S. The Sony player was $300 odd Australia dollars so unlike your very good price I really wanted the money back. Normally very satisfied with Sony products.

Been using the Xbox ever since.

Was hoping the newer Panasonic’s were cheaper but I’ll wait now till PS5 is released.

Assuming it’s USD $94 and for that price its a far different perspective to mine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hodgjy, interesting theory. But lately i tested Panasonic gz950, which is also 120hz panel. No judder, no stutter and everything smooth as butter. How do you explain that?

Fireman1000, yeah that was one of the reasons i returned it myself. First it was q70r and then q80r. Both had bad black crush, nasty DSE and juddery motion. X950g at least doesn't have black crush and it has very clean panel, no dse on mine. Just a shame motion isn't what it should be on Sony tv.

·
Registered
510 Posts
hodgjy, interesting theory. But lately i tested Panasonic gz950, which is also 120hz panel. No judder, no stutter and everything smooth as butter. How do you explain that?

Fireman1000, yeah that was one of the reasons i returned it myself. First it was q70r and then q80r. Both had bad black crush, nasty DSE and juddery motion. X950g at least doesn't have black crush and it has very clean panel, no dse on mine. Just a shame motion isn't what it should be on Sony tv.
LCD to OLED...apples to oranges.

But, assuming it's an LCD panel...Using the settings to minimize frame duplication, such as using black frame insertion and flickering the backlight at 60 hz. Unless these are enabled, a 120 hz will show frame duplication. These problems are only exacerbated by fast response time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
LCD to OLED...apples to oranges.

But, assuming it's an LCD panel...Using the settings to minimize frame duplication, such as using black frame insertion and flickering the backlight at 60 hz. Unless these are enabled, a 120 hz will show frame duplication. These problems are only exacerbated by fast response time.
I also have horrible stutter, judder , blur etc. on the x950g with motion flow on, but when i use Svp4(smooth video project 4) pc interpolation software i get smooth motion interpolated to 120fps it looks nothing like the crap motion flow is doing on the tv. Also BFI kind of bothers me on any level not just making the picture darker but kind of unnatural to my eyes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Call me stupid but I updated my second x950g and now the TV will not stay connected to the internet just like the first. It maintains the WIFI but disconnects the internet. Sony service has been scripted and redundant, no help. Internet stays strong until I access the settings menu then instant disconnect. I checked only after I updated and Sony still doesn't have the file on their support page to download, why it would update through the TV is a mystery.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I also have horrible stutter, judder , blur etc. on the x950g with motion flow on, but when i use Svp4(smooth video project 4) pc interpolation software i get smooth motion interpolated to 120fps it looks nothing like the crap motion flow is doing on the tv. Also BFI kind of bothers me on any level not just making the picture darker but kind of unnatural to my eyes.
There are pros and cons to 120 hz panels with fast response times, such as the Sony. First, is they look great with fast moving material, such as sports and even some games. However, despite the 5:5 cadence, they can really struggle with 24p material, which is exactly why BFI exists--to help overcome those those cons. BTW, movie theaters use BFI to help with their 24 fps material (which is actually 2:2, but you get the point). Additionally, tvs with 120 hz panels and fast response times suffer from frame duplication. Again, this is why BFI exists.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
How is it worth motion flow off?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is why you don't do software updates people. I have had my auto update disabled since I bought it back in August.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
There are pros and cons to 120 hz panels with fast response times, such as the Sony. First, is they look great with fast moving material, such as sports and even some games. However, despite the 5:5 cadence, they can really struggle with 24p material, which is exactly why BFI exists--to help overcome those those cons. BTW, movie theaters use BFI to help with their 24 fps material (which is actually 2:2, but you get the point). Additionally, tvs with 120 hz panels and fast response times suffer from frame duplication. Again, this is why BFI exists.
That def makes sense. My parents tcl 6 series looks better than my q9fn with some regular content. But it really struggles and looks pixelated with Sports ect. Due to the 60hz panel. To bad no one has an adaptive panel to adjust to the source. So I'm guessing that the 950 will behave similarly to motion as my Q9 does since they both have 120hz panels? I see such mixed comments in regards to motion. I typically leave SOE off. I used Cinemotion on my x810 which was great. I love my Q9 although there's a good amount of streaming content I watch that has allot of duplications. I'm looking at a second tv for my man cave and this is at the top of the list. Im guessing all 120hz panels exhibit the same flaws?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
Call me stupid but I updated my second x950g and now the TV will not stay connected to the internet just like the first. It maintains the WIFI but disconnects the internet. Sony service has been scripted and redundant, no help. Internet stays strong until I access the settings menu then instant disconnect. I checked only after I updated and Sony still doesn't have the file on their support page to download, why it would update through the TV is a mystery.
Double check the clock on your TV and make sure it is getting the right time, it affects app behavior.

·
Vendor
29,795 Posts
3481 - 3500 of 8377 Posts